Palpatine's awareness of the Vong

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
The Outbound flight book and a few other books mention Palpatine was aware of the Vong. But going into the realm of speculation, could the empire have coped with fighting the Vong/The Rebellion? How much time would it have taken to mobilize the GE to the Outer rim, or would Sidious have waited out for the Vong fleet to have come to the galaxy in full and then beaten the Rebellion? Was Sidious aware of how big of a force the Vong was?

Emperordmb
IIRC (and my memory's pretty hazy) some dude who captured Wedge said the Empire would've shat all over the Vong.

MS Warehouse
I have always wondered about Palpatine's knowledge of the Vong and if that had anything to do with his creation of the Empire.

Q99
Nah, the Sith had a super-long plan, and force foresight can't warn them.

He may have found out something coming after the fact, but then just used it as an excuse on Thrawn, without truly knowing the scale of the threat. If it doesn't show up, good. If it does, fine, he can use that.

Sidious is a manipulator or liar who has no problem giving people justifications that'll work on *them* but have zero to do with his real motive.

Originally posted by Emperordmb
IIRC (and my memory's pretty hazy) some dude who captured Wedge said the Empire would've shat all over the Vong.

Conversely, Han Solo pointing out the opposite, that they would've made stupid wasteful moves.

And the Emperor's fall demonstrated how vulnerable the Empire's structure is- a lot of high ranking people in it are only in it for themselves. The Vong infiltrators will actively use that to recruit and splinter things, just as they attempted to undermine the Republic.

That said, the unified galaxy will win, period, and the New Republic was not in the best of shape beforehand, so the Empire may well do better, but it does have it's own problems.

Worst-case scenario, they manage to take out Palpatine and the Empire splinters mid-fight.

RHaggis
Nom Anor noted that the Vong would have been defeated by the Empire and that the Vong invasion was doing so well due to the disorganisation of the new Republic.

"This uncle, Luke Skywalker, is popularly considered to have highhandedly created the New Republic by defeating an older, much more rational government called the Empire. And, I might add, it is fortunate for us that he did; the Empire was vastly more organised, powerful, and potently militaristic. Lacking internal divisions we have exploited so successfully in the New Republic, the Empire could have crushed our people utterly in their first encounter"

Source: New Jedi Order - Traitor

Take that as you will...

Darth Abonis
Yes. The Empire had superweapons

SunRazer
The Empire would've won, probably.

Revanchiste
The vong what is it? Ho I do not care, I'm gonna sith on my throne masturbating myself with force lightning while thinking of all the innocent I can kill, and let' give that thrawn dude some money, if he really think that we should do so fine...

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Q99

Conversely, Han Solo pointing out the opposite, that they would've made stupid wasteful moves.

And the Emperor's fall demonstrated how vulnerable the Empire's structure is- a lot of high ranking people in it are only in it for themselves. The Vong infiltrators will actively use that to recruit and splinter things, just as they attempted to undermine the Republic.

That said, the unified galaxy will win, period, and the New Republic was not in the best of shape beforehand, so the Empire may well do better, but it does have it's own problems.

Worst-case scenario, they manage to take out Palpatine and the Empire splinters mid-fight.
Han being a ch33ky m8 and the Rebellion needing Luke and Anakin Skywalker to win doesn't exactly add up to the Empire losing.

Revanchiste
R34lly? (r34 XD Rule 34 + Star wars)

The Ellimist
I don't see how the Vong could take out Palpatine.

Even if the Empire couldn't outright rush the Vong - which it could - it still has three trump cards:

Mass production of superweapons.
Thrawn
Wankatine's Force storms

Yeah, they'd win.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.