Best Gaming Lore of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Fallout, obviously.

Soma has one of the most interesting lore's imo.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Elder Scrolls.

TheHulk
I love fantasy so...it's games like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and The Witcher etc. But hey, Mass Effect works well too.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Elder Scrolls lore is completely ****ed up, but gotta love the Lovecraft love. smile

Kazenji
The Heretic/Hexen Games.

ares834
My favorite is probably Warcraft. Illidan Stormrage and Arthas FTW.

CPT Space Bomb
No such thing. It's COMPLETELY subjective. Period.

Also, I have a lot of games that I love the lore of. Mass Effect (until 3...) And The Witcher are master class games in terms of storytelling and lore. I read the books for the Witcher and it REALLY enhanced the game. It was a masterpiece before but elevated to legendary after. The Witcher 3 really was a love letter to Witcher fans across the globe.

-Pr-
I enjoy the lore of Mass Effect, even in 3 with the Leviathan stuff, just not how it was implemented.

I wouldn't have said Dragon Age before playing Trespasser, but that opened up a LOT of new possibilities. The books really helped to expand the universe too, which I liked.

Elder Scrolls has some great lore, aye. It's part of the reason I could still tolerate the game even if I found a lot of missions to be a bit "eh".

Arachnid1
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
No such thing. It's COMPLETELY subjective. Period.

Also, I have a lot of games that I love the lore of. Mass Effect (until 3...) And The Witcher are master class games in terms of storytelling and lore. I read the books for the Witcher and it REALLY enhanced the game. It was a masterpiece before but elevated to legendary after. The Witcher 3 really was a love letter to Witcher fans across the globe. I came to state these two. They are easily my tops.

FinalAnswer
I'm pretty in love with the Fallout setting.

NemeBro
Dark Souls.

Adam Grimes
I really dig early Resident Evil lore despite the little effort put into characterization.

Oh and Silent Hill's too, although not a fan of Homecoming.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I really dig early Resident Evil lore despite the little effort put into characterization.

Well you can tell that they're were basing it on B-Grade horror.

Jesus McBurger
I really love the Elder scrolls lore

Newjak
I will throw this one out there. Destiny actually has fantastic lore. Bungie's problem was getting it into the actual game. After reading the grimoire though the universe of Destiny is definitely a rich one.

quanchi112
Dragon Age. Hands down.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
I will throw this one out there. Destiny actually has fantastic lore. Bungie's problem was getting it into the actual game. After reading the grimoire though the universe of Destiny is definitely a rich one.

Haven't played Destiny, but I did enjoy the Halo lore, now that you mention Bungie.

cdtm
Wing Commander.

jaden101
Zelda, you *****!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NemeBro
Dark Souls.

This too.

Adding onto my first comment.

The exploits of all the protagonists being etched down in history, stories about Gwyn, the world is just so interesting and rich.

Nephthys
The Witcher?

Jmanghan
I guess I prefer stuff that could be the future, which is why Soma was so interesting to me.

Surtur
I do love the lore of the "Elder Scrolls" as well as the lore of Forgotten Realms(a lot of games like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights take place there).

The Elder Scrolls lore though..if you read some of the books it just showcases how utterly horrifying the universe could potentially be. You have this story about this guy who wants to impress a girl so he decides to have a mage teach him a bunch of "Increase" spells. Like spells that increase strength and endurance and all that, these spells exist in the game too. So it describes what he does with these spells, like the endurance spell lets him easily be engulfed in flames.

But then he does the "increase intelligence" spell and..he comes up with a math equation that literally erases someone from existence lol. He just literally wrote out an equation about some guy and said "this shows you don't truly exist" and then the guy just blinked out of existence. Remember this was not some master mage, it was an ordinary guy who asked a mage to teach him a few spells. I'm not sure how this universe hasn't been utterly destroyed by some douche who was super good at math.

BackFire
Witcher, though that's kind of cheating perhaps because it's based on a long established series of novels. But the backstory and history of the world is exceptionally deep. For my birthday my gf bought me the World of the Witcher book which goes deep into the lore and it was such a cool read.

Also love Mass Effect's lore and backstory. It's a lot more in depth than casual play would lead one to believe. Reading the stories and lore of each individual planet in the game can be a lot of fun and really rewarding.

Warcraft's lore can be very good, too, though it feels kind of like a mishmash of various other famous pieces of literature, a bit of Lovecraft, some Lord of the Rings, some sci fi elements, but it still feels unique and has its own flavor.

Dragon Age also seems really good but I'm not as familiar with that one as the others listed. Some of the Final Fantasy games have good lore to go along with them too. FFXIV's is very good.

Kazenji
Legacy of Kain.

Surtur
I liked the lore of Jade Empire. I also like the lore of Warhammer 40k.

-Pr-
I would have said 40K but it has an unfair advantage in that it had its lore going in to the games already.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Witcher?

Originally posted by BackFire
Witcher,

Yes, and Yes.

Jmanghan
Dynasty Warriors?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by jaden101
Zelda, you *****!

Whining about a video game. I guess you really do live in your mothers basement.

Nibedicus
Deus Ex for me. Besides the obvious ones (Skyrim, Fallout, etc)

Kazenji
Diablo is another good one.

Zack Fair
This is bound to get a lot of heat nd debate from gamers disgrunted/annoyed by Bungievision's antics but IMO Destiny is in the top 5.

Game did not have much of a quality campaign at first,but lore-wise(Grimoire) story is amazing.

Newjak
Originally posted by Zack Fair
This is bound to get a lot of heat nd debate from gamers disgrunted/annoyed by Bungievision's antics but IMO Destiny is in the top 5.

Game did not have much of a quality campaign at first,but lore-wise(Grimoire) story is amazing. I got your back on this one

BackFire
Yeah the Grimoire had some really good stuff in there, shame that the actual game didn't bother to really explore much of it, itself.

Estacado
Originally posted by Kazenji
Legacy of Kain.
+1

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Witcher? Dragon Age has it beat.

Stoic
I would have said Elder Scrolls, and Dragon Age, but since playing the Witcher 3, I've changed my mind. The game in my opinion is light years ahead of any other game that I've played, and I've played many. The Witcher 3 seemed to take pieces of many great games to combine them into one awesome one. Playing it reminded me of Fable, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Force Unleashed, Batman (Arkham series), Balder's Gate, Diablo, and Uncharted. Epic game, which makes me scratch my head as to why it took me so long to finally get it.

Stoic
Originally posted by quanchi112
Dragon Age has it beat.

Nope.

Adam Grimes
thumb up

Dead Space's lore is quite interesting too.

Trocity
Bioshock's lore is pretty neat.

John Murdoch
Late to the party, but I'll repeat a few already mentioned:
- Dragon Age
- Fallout
- Legacy of Kain
- Elder Scrolls
- I'll add God of War to the discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.