Do you believe in the paranormal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
Before we discussed aliens, now it's time to move on to the paranormal. So when I say "paranormal" I mean things like ghosts. But also things some more metaphysical stuff..astral projection, other dimensions, etc.

Is there anyone who believes in God/the afterlife, but not in actual spirits?

If you answered "yes" to believing in the paranormal, was this due to a personal experience?

It's xyz!
I believe shape shifting overlords secretly rule the world and feed off of our fear.

But not ghosts. Hahaha.

Raisen
i saw three shadow people once. one time only
shit is real

carthage
Nope

cdtm
Yes.

It's xyz!
no2 explain yourself! Originally posted by cdtm
Yes.

Tattoos N Scars
I believe in God, so by extension, I believe in a spiritual realm. I've never seen a ghost with my own eyes, but I have witnessed unexplained events.

I visited the Myrtles Plantation(in Louisiana)and took the weekend mystery tour which discussed all the ghost sightings witnessed in the house and on the property. The plantation is a bed and breakfast now, so I snuck upstairs after the tour was over. Only overnight guests are allowed upstairs. I peeked into the large keyhole to one of the bedrooms and saw something rush by my field of vision. A few seconds later, the other door leading into the bedroom popped open on its own. I looked inside and no one was in the room. Kind of freaky!!!

Surtur
I'm gonna pay a ghost to haunt everyone who says no.

Digi
Not particularly. Interesting to see I still had a tentative belief in reincarnation when I made that thread, though. I was somewhere in the middle of my journey from devout Catholic to materialist atheist.

It's xyz!
Whenever I read "spiritual realm" I think of 10 dimensional physics where everything that we cannot experience exists all around us and can influence us without any upheaval from us... even though we will never experience it. Sort of like how a fish can never see water. It's mystical and fascinating, but it almost definitely exists. Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
I believe in God, so by extension, I believe in a spiritual realm. I've never seen a ghost with my own eyes, but I have witnessed unexplained events.

I visited the Myrtles Plantation(in Louisiana)and took the weekend mystery tour which discussed all the ghost sightings witnessed in the house and on the property. The plantation is a bed and breakfast now, so I snuck upstairs after the tour was over. Only overnight guests are allowed upstairs. I peeked into the large keyhole to one of the bedrooms and saw something rush by my field of vision. A few seconds later, the other door leading into the bedroom popped open on its own. I looked inside and no one was in the room. Kind of freaky!!!

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
Before we discussed aliens, now it's time to move on to the paranormal. So when I say "paranormal" I mean things like ghosts. But also things some more metaphysical stuff..astral projection, other dimensions, etc.

If you answered "yes" to believing in the paranormal, was this due to a personal experience?
Yes, thanks for asking.

ArtificialGlory
No.

Raisen
i know i troll but my answer was serious. i've seen three shadow spirits.
laugh if you want. i saw something unexplainable to me

Mindship
I believe that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -- and I've yet to see that regarding the *paranormal*. However, I also believe in reality's deep interconnectivity, and accordingly, I have had my generous share of what I call Suspicious Coincidences, some highly suspicious.

Latest case in point: Last year, for a few months, my wife and I talked about going to Colorado. We finally got serious about it in May, wherein I said I wondered if my friend from graduate school (my friend and I both attended in California) still lives there (ie, in Colorado). I haven't seen him in 30+ years but we have communicated about 3x over this span, the last, by email, being about 9 years ago. Anyway, I mentioned this to my wife on May 12. On May 17, out of the blue, I get an email from this friend, which starts out with, "I don't know what made me think this, but the other day I was thinking of you and wondering if there was some way to get you to come out to Colorado..."

Needless to say, I immediately contacted my friend and told him of our very, very recent plans.

Sidenote: this was the friend with whom I had made the following plans before going back to NY: every Thursday night we would try to meet in a lucid dream and exchange a number. If one of us felt actual contact had been made, we'd call the other and compare notes. Well, this never happened (a bummer; it would've fit the bill of extraordinary evidence, imo), but I thought this Colorado *coincidence* sure came close.

Digi
Originally posted by Raisen
laugh if you want.

Not at all. But...

i've seen three shadow spirits.

...is unsupportable, and could have been caused by a host of cognitive biases we all possess. However,

i saw something unexplainable to me

...is a much more tenable position, and is probably the statement that I would use, if I had the same experience.

Originally posted by Mindship
I believe that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -- and I've yet to see that regarding the *paranormal*. However, I also believe in reality's deep interconnectivity, and accordingly, I have had my generous share of what I call Suspicious Coincidences, some highly suspicious.

Latest case in point: Last year, for a few months, my wife and I talked about going to Colorado. We finally got serious about it in May, wherein I said I wondered if my friend from graduate school (my friend and I both attended in California) still lives there (ie, in Colorado). I haven't seen him in 30+ years but we have communicated about 3x over this span, the last, by email, being about 9 years ago. Anyway, I mentioned this to my wife on May 12. On May 17, out of the blue, I get an email from this friend, which starts out with, "I don't know what made me think this, but the other day I was thinking of you and wondering if there was some way to get you to come out to Colorado..."

Needless to say, I immediately contacted my friend and told him of our very, very recent plans.

Sidenote: this was the friend with whom I had made the following plans before going back to NY: every Thursday night we would try to meet in a lucid dream and exchange a number. If one of us felt actual contact had been made, we'd call the other and compare notes. Well, this never happened (a bummer; it would've fit the bill of extraordinary evidence, imo), but I thought this Colorado *coincidence* sure came close.

I encounter this sort of thing a lot. Not the particulars, but the "amazing coincidence." And specifically, the "I thought of this person, and then they contacted me" variety. It's compelling when you experience it firsthand, but ultimately unconvincing, imo.

Lots and lots of people experience this. So what's more likely, that the universe just wants us all to catch up with our childhood friends, or that we tend to think of people from our past with some regularity, and the hundreds of millions of communications that occur every day will invariably produce some connections between people that have thought of one another recently? It becomes less paranormal when presented as a math problem. Is it unlikely? Absolutely, but multiply the billions of people on the Earth by the hundreds of millions of calls, emails, FB messages, snail mail, random meetups, etc. that occur each day, times the number of days in a life. Now add in that our brains are, by their very nature, pattern seeking, so we have an innate tendency to extrapolate random occurrences into patterns that have a certain coherence or animus behind them.

At that point, it would actually be more surprising if this didn't happen a bunch of times every day on the planet. And equally as surprising if something like this didn't happen to every person once or twice in their life.

I think you realize all of this, Mindship. But many haven't encountered this type of rebuttal to their personal experience, so a paranormal explanation is the only one that makes sense to them. Like you said, extraordinary claims and all...I just think this sort of claim comes woefully short, and actually has very grounded explanations that require no paranormal assumptions.

It's xyz!
You're super, thanks for asking. But you cannot feel so sorry for him now!

Because you're feeling, so insanely super.

Everything is super when you- don't you think I look cute when I troll?Originally posted by riv6672
Yes, thanks for asking.

i know i troll but my answer was serious. i've seen three shadow spirits.
laugh if you want. i saw something unexplainable to me Deep.

Raisen
Originally posted by It's xyz!
You're super, thanks for asking. But you cannot feel so sorry for him now!

Because you're feeling, so insanely super.

Everything is super when you- don't you think I look cute when I troll?

Deep.

Suck it

Flyattractor
We know live in a society where if you utter the magical spell/sentence "I want to be ____" you can change your sex, gender and species.

Well as long as you can afford the attire to go with it....

Mindship
Originally posted by Digi
I encounter this sort of thing a lot. Not the particulars, but the "amazing coincidence." And specifically, the "I thought of this person, and then they contacted me" variety. It's compelling when you experience it firsthand, but ultimately unconvincing, imo.

Lots and lots of people experience this. So what's more likely, that the universe just wants us all to catch up with our childhood friends, or that we tend to think of people from our past with some regularity, and the hundreds of millions of communications that occur every day will invariably produce some connections between people that have thought of one another recently? It becomes less paranormal when presented as a math problem. Is it unlikely? Absolutely, but multiply the billions of people on the Earth by the hundreds of millions of calls, emails, FB messages, snail mail, random meetups, etc. that occur each day, times the number of days in a life. Now add in that our brains are, by their very nature, pattern seeking, so we have an innate tendency to extrapolate random occurrences into patterns that have a certain coherence or animus behind them.

At that point, it would actually be more surprising if this didn't happen a bunch of times every day on the planet. And equally as surprising if something like this didn't happen to every person once or twice in their life.

I think you realize all of this, Mindship. But many haven't encountered this type of rebuttal to their personal experience, so a paranormal explanation is the only one that makes sense to them. Like you said, extraordinary claims and all...I just think this sort of claim comes woefully short, and actually has very grounded explanations that require no paranormal assumptions. Personal synchronistic/contiguous events are compelling, but I agree, not convincing. Exchanging numbers whilst lucid dreaming would've been better.

Digi
Personal synchronistic/contiguous events are compelling, but I agree, not convincing. Exchanging numbers whilst lucid dreaming would've been better.

Agreed. Though even with that, you'd probably have to cross-reference the number thoroughly to see if it's something you both encountered recently. Think of, say, Ouija boards, where people will form entire coherent conversations and have no idea that they're actively involved in its creation. The subconscious mind can be sneaky.

It's xyz!
I'm so sorry, mr raisen. But I cannot feel so sorry for you now. Because I'm feeling so insanely super. Everything is super when you- don't you think I look cute when I troll? Originally posted by Raisen
Suck it

Raisen
You're losing your mind bro

It's xyz!
Had vodka.

Lots.

ArtificialGlory
Had vodka.

Lots.
Yeah, we could tell. Just take it easy and remember to drink some coffee and plenty of water.

Kelly_Bean
Nope.
Fascinating subject for entertainment value but as far as belief in ghosts and sh*t...no!

Mindship
Originally posted by Digi
Agreed. Though even with that, you'd probably have to cross-reference the number thoroughly to see if it's something you both encountered recently. Variable control, absolutely. And multiple trials. cool

The subconscious mind can be sneaky. In more ways than we imagine.

Digi
Variable control, absolutely. And multiple trials. cool

In more ways than we imagine.

thumb up

Raisen
Spirits exist. Bigfoot exists. Aliens exist.
I truly hope that one day Bigfoot anal rapes one of you nay sayers so you can open your eyes.

It's xyz!
Don't forget reptilian masters like Badabing

Surtur
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Nope.
Fascinating subject for entertainment value but as far as belief in ghosts and sh*t...no!

Do you believe in any kind of god then?

Surtur
Don't forget reptilian masters like Badabing

Speaking of that, these things exist:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51f%2BcNHRVOL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That is a real book, it's real dinosaur erotica.

NewGuy01
wtb. thumb up

Surtur

Raisen
My lord

Surtur
Dinosaurs love the wet womanhood of human females.

Sin I AM
I dunno. A lot plays a role. Superstitions, religion, etc form our thoughts on everything. I wish we could experiment. Like have a human raised in isolation from birth and determine how they commune alone without outside influence

S_W_LeGenD
Yes.

|King Joker|
Not really, but I have an open mind and things have happened to me personally, so I don't necessarily rule it out completely. I find the paranormal quite interesting despite not really believing in it, though.

ArtificialGlory
Spirits exist. Bigfoot exists. Aliens exist.
I truly hope that one day Bigfoot anal rapes one of you nay sayers so you can open your eyes.
I could swear this isn't the first time I see you talking about Bigfoot rape.

Raisen
Probably not. I talk about Bigfoot a lot. I have a friend who was an investigator for BFRO. Random but funny as hell. Bigfoot is known to rape. Pineapple juice seems to repel him; if you layer pineapple juice around your orifices it will protect you from penetration.

It's xyz!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.