Do you know, have any veterans in your family?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Of the following:

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Grenada
The first Gulf war
The war on Terror

Everyone in the GDF has strong political opinions/opinions on the Miltary.
Was wondering if you've discussed them with veterans in RL/had your opinions formed in part by veterans in your families.

Bardock42
Both my grandfathers fought in World War 2, as did other members of my family. Since then we actually haven't had a war, though, so no one else has. I would say my views are only very little influenced by theirs though.

Digi
Had a great uncle who died in WWII. Before my grandmother passed, she'd tell me about him. His dog back home also died the day the family got the news. It was tragic as all hell.

Nothing outside of that, among relatives at least. Father of a good friend and former neighbor of mine was a mechanic in Desert Storm. And another good friend of mine saw action in Afghanistan. He's fine and all, but told me that he displayed PTSD symptoms for a while after he returned.

I actually own a Seabees jacket that was worn on the Pacific front in WWII. Not entirely sure how I came into it...I think a neighbor had died and his family was just giving stuff away. Always thought about flipping it on EBay, but I don't know if it would go for much.

Surtur
Both my grandfathers fought in WW2. Oddly enough they also both blamed the war for turning them into alcoholics.

But I never discussed it with them because they were both long dead by the time I started to get interested in certain wars.

Tattoos N Scars
Two uncles in Vietnam. Great Uncle in WWI. My brother was in Desert Storm, first Gulf War.

ArtificialGlory
My grandfather fought in WWII and was wounded twice. He's been dead for almost 20 years though.

Flyattractor
Had/have lots o Vets in the fam. Round here we don't raise no Liberal running to Canada Wimps round here.

riv6672
Thanks for all the feedback. thumb up

Flyattractor
My fam has only been in the states sine right after the END TO SLAVERY era that is known as The Civil War, so have had members in all the wars since then except the Going over to F-YerCamelLand to kick Maddas Saddam's BUTT!

Adam_PoE
Army and Navy in Korea, Air Force in Vietnam.

riv6672
Never got to wish the responders a happy memorial day, as i was enjoying memorial day.
So, happy memorial day.

thumb up

It's xyz!
My grandfather was captured by the Russians in ww2 (he's polish) and although, not a soldier was a victim of warfare. On my mothers side, I'm really not sure.

Jesus McBurger
My great grandpa was in Pearl Harbour, next time i go to my grandpas ill get on his computer and post the pic of my Great grandpa on his ship. My grandpa was in vietnam

Stigma
Both of my grandpas fought in WWII. First against the Germans, and later against the Russians. Although they lived through the WWII, they were oppressed and imprisoned post-war by Communist authorities that captured Poland. One of my grandpa's was in Soviet prison for 8 years.

Both died quite recently too.

Edit: My grand-grand dad from mother's side fought in WWI. Tough guy and a real gentleman. He died in the 1970s.

riv6672
^^^thats double tough, guy, thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Jesus McBurger
...next time i go to my grandpas ill get on his computer and post the pic of my Great grandpa on his ship...
Awesome.

Jesus McBurger
My Great Grandpa

riv6672
Thats so cool, thanks for posting it! big grin thumb up

Flyattractor
Had a Great uncle that was a part of the D-Day Invasion. Another Great Uncle that was at Iwo Jima and Gramps was a Ship Builder in Califunny during Dubbya Dubbya DOO!!

riv6672
A ship builder. Thats pretty high speed.

riv6672
I cant hear you over the sound if the ignore button.

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
I cant hear you over the sound if the ignore button.

But..but..it's some new blood!

Flyattractor
Just another causality in the "Riv Puts ya on Ignore War"

riv6672
These socks have beef with you guys. I dont need to read their shit.

Flyattractor
I have never actually meat in my socks.

riv6672
Our toes are little piggies! stick out tongue

Flyattractor
And they are kind of in blankets.

Surtur
Why are you calling them socks? Is this like..an Outsiders thing?

Flyattractor
Socks are what people put on their feet to keep them WARM Sutur...Or to look respectable.

Surtur
So it's an Outsiders thing, okay. We gonna do it for Johnny.

Flyattractor
Take another toke and just pretend to think about it for a while.

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
Why are you calling them socks? Is this like..an Outsiders thing?
You're thinking of socs. Different spelling/meaning. Though thinking about it, socks probably do believe they're better than everyone.

Surtur
I know that..I just thought it was similar.

F*cking soc's though..

riv6672
Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Surtur
But..but..it's some new blood!

Yea that was pretty stupid when he said that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.