Obi Wan vs. Arcann (sabers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
Can Obi Wan handle his deadly saber skills?

Nephthys
Arcann. If he's above the SoR protags, he's above Obi-Wan.

SunRazer
I swear this thread was done just a few weeks ago. Maybe it was on CV.

Anyway, Obi-Wan in a grueling fight. Not that he's necessarily outright more skilled (and Arcann does boast a stronger connection to the Force), but Arcann's hammy, brute-force approach is exactly the type of technique that Obi-Wan excels against, and I'm willing to bet that Obi-Wan's fought such styles a lot more than Arcann has fought Obi-Wan's.

Nephthys
Arcann is hardly hammy and brute-force. Thats just the limitations of the engine, they can't portray finesse particularly well. Even the Jedi Knight comes off like that despite being stated to have incredible grace and agility. In fact, Arcann's near-unbeatable defense is the most notable trait of his technique.

Also one thing I've noticed is that Arcann can empower his lightsaber blows with the Force. At one point in the fight theres a visible glow of energy around his hands as he strikes. Senya is able to do the same thing with lightning, interestingly enough. Not sure if thats valid in sabers only though.

FreshestSlice
Lulz. Grace and agility? And I also like taking game mechanics as valid points.

Nephthys
"Combining the foresight of the Force with unrivaled reflexes and practiced physical precision, the Knight turns combat into an art form, gracefully executing acrobatic feats in tandem with elegant lightsaber tactics. "

What game mechanics? The effects I mentioned occur in cutscenes.

The Ellimist
Every force user empowers their strikes with the Force, lmao

Nephthys
I mean with TK. They specifically used the TK effect to show that he's using it, as opposed to standard lightsaber blows.

Petrus
Yeah, the glow around Arcann's hand does strongly suggest it's not the standard lightsaber attack.

FreshestSlice
No, flashy cutscenes with no substance outside of them and class descriptions with no character basis are thing to put someone Kenobi. thumb up

Petrus
Exactly. thumb up

FreshestSlice
Just like random glowing Jedi, the Sith player eyes shooting laser beams, lightning shooting off every lightsaber strike, and meditation creating pillars of light. All cutscene effects are legit. thumb up

carthage
Kenobi for sure

Petrus
Arcann's far above Obi in terms of sheer power and connection to the Force, but when it comes to "sabers only" scenarios, Obi has him.

Nephthys
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
No, flashy cutscenes with no substance outside of them and class descriptions with no character basis are thing to put someone Kenobi. thumb up

Put someone Kenobi? Is that really a thing you can put?

If you weren't such a try hard, you'd have noticed that I said Arcann would win because they defeated the Outlander. I merely pointed out the other thing as an interesting point, stating directly that I wasn't sure it even counts in sabers only. And as for the class descriptions, well my point there agrees with your first. The cutscenes aren't fully representative and clash with statements outside of them. So ultimately this interjection of yours is a big smelly failure all around.

Just like random glowing Jedi, the Sith player eyes shooting laser beams, lightning shooting off every lightsaber strike, and meditation creating pillars of light. All cutscene effects are legit. thumb up

Not sure I get what you're saying. Those things are stylistic effects to show the player that the Force is being used. Just like in the Hope trailer, Satele's hands probably didn't real glow blue because that doesn't actually happen in SW but it was shown like that so we'd follow what was happening better. Doesn't mean she wasn't still using TK.

Just like with Arcann the intention is obviously to indicate that he's empowering his strike with the Force.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Nephthys
Put someone Kenobi? Is that really a thing you can put?

If you weren't such a try hard, you'd have noticed that I said Arcann would win because they defeated the Outlander. I merely pointed out the other thing as an interesting point, stating directly that I wasn't sure it even counts in sabers only. And as for the class descriptions, well my point there agrees with your first. The cutscenes aren't fully representative and clash with statements outside of them. So ultimately this interjection of yours is a big smelly failure all around.

You being bitchy about typos aside, that really doesn't matter. Arcann didn't defeat the Outlander in sabers only, the Outlander isn't really that far above Obi-Wan, if at all, so it has no relevance, and the fact that I pointed out how retarded even bringing up "hand glowing" is doesn't really make it any less retarded.

Just like the Force is always being used during lightsaber combat. So it really doesn't matter.

Which every lightsaber strike is. Like every single one. That is the entire point to lightsaber forms.

Nephthys
You being bitchy about typos aside, that really doesn't matter. Arcann didn't defeat the Outlander in sabers only, the Outlander isn't really that far above Obi-Wan, if at all, so it has no relevance, and the fact that I pointed out how retarded even bringing up "hand glowing" is doesn't really make it any less retarded.

Arcann clearly takes the upper hand in sabers, even when the Outlander goes ham on him after HK dies.

Just like the Force is always being used during lightsaber combat. So it really doesn't matter.

Which every lightsaber strike is. Like every single one. That is the entire point to lightsaber forms.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I already resolved this. Not every lightsaber strike in the game is shown like this. The developers clearly want to show that Arcann is doing something different by showing him doing something different in the midst of performing normal blows.

JKBart
Arcann pretty much stomps

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Nephthys
Arcann clearly takes the upper hand in sabers, even when the Outlander goes ham on him after HK dies.

Never said. Not that the opponent having the upperhand means Obi-Wan would lose, given Vader/Maul and Savage and other similar situations.

Except animations have changed since KotFE, so this isn't even a valid argument. It's just you saying something to support you with no basis in actual story. No one's talking about Arcann's amazing new lightsaber techniques or how Senya can make her hands glow. That's all you.

Nephthys
Never said. Not that the opponent having the upperhand means Obi-Wan would lose, given Vader/Maul and Savage and other similar situations.

It doesn't need to be said. We don't need it to be said that someone has the upper hand when they turn back a characters furious offense and force them onto the defensive. And I'm not saying that Obi-Wan couldn't win in certain situations. But Arcann having the upperhand against the Outlander suggests he's a better duelist than Obi-Wan is.

Except animations have changed since KotFE, so this isn't even a valid argument. It's just you saying something to support you with no basis in actual story. No one's talking about Arcann's amazing new lightsaber techniques or how Senya can make her hands glow. That's all you.

I wasn't aware people needed to talk about feats for them to be valid. Guess we can throw out 80% of all feats ever then. The feat has a basis in the story if it appears in a cutscene, don't know why I have to explain that to you. Not that "the story" has anything to do with anything. Arcann Force Pushing you has no relevance in the story. He still ****ing does it. If you can show me that the effects have been removed from the game then obviously I'll drop it. Until then they're valid. Since it's something that still happened no matter how much you whinge about it.

Syndicate
Obi Wan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.