Sidious's personal favorites

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
Who do you think was his favorite apprentice between Maul and Dooku

If he had to say some positives and negatives for each what would he say do you think?

FreshestSlice
Maul, because at least he didn't plan to kill Maul from the start.

ares834
Not according to Sidious in the Essential Guide to the Force.

FreshestSlice
Falsehoods and untruths.

Fated Xtasy
Vader

Nargaroth
Originally posted by ares834
Not according to Sidious in the Essential Guide to the Force.

Quote? This source seems to disagree.

-- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide

ares834
Huh? How does that "seem to disagree"? Anyway, I don't have access to the book right now but that quote has been contradicted by TCW as Dooku is already going by the name Darth Tyranus prior to Maul's death.

The Ellimist
Maul had greater potential and was trained before Sidious knew about Anakin. Dooku is a finished product with a lower ceiling; he's like one of those pre-promoted characters in Fire Emblem while Maul is like Nino. Dooku also has more political and financial connections. He won't live as long, which could be a plus or minus.

Pre-Anakin, Maul was likely the better choice. Post-Anakin, Maul's potential is redundant and Sidious would value Dooku's connections more.

Nargaroth
Originally posted by ares834
Huh? How does that "seem to disagree"? Anyway, I don't have access to the book right now but that quote has been contradicted by TCW as Dooku is already going by the name Darth Tyranus prior to Maul's death.

Because Sidious wasn't planning to have Maul replaced? And where was it stated that Dooku was named Tyranus by Sidious before Maul's death?

NewGuy01
Sifo Dyas died prior to TPM.

Regardless, I agree with Freshest.

Kurk
Personalilty and skill wise who do you think he likes more?

NewGuy01
Yeah, yeah, we get that you're fishing for Dooku here.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by NewGuy01

Regardless, I agree with Freshest. I find this alteration strange tbh, if Maul hadn't died in TPM what would Sidious have done?

Petrus
An hero Syfo.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I find this alteration strange tbh, if Maul hadn't died in TPM what would Sidious have done?
He would have done what he did in the PT because Maul didn't die. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/922207309.gif

Beniboybling
uhuh

EmperorSidious2
Dooku or Vader.

quanchi112
Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Dooku or Vader. Dooku was trash.

SunRazer
I don't believe Sidious would've picked favorites, but ultimately, it'd be Vader.

Between Maul and Dooku, I don't know. They were both appropriate and effective for entirely different reasons. Maul was trained with a brighter future in mind, but ultimately once Palpatine learnt about Anakin everything else became second to him.

Kurk
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I find this alteration strange tbh, if Maul hadn't died in TPM what would Sidious have done?
So Sidious sends Dooku to go on his initiation mission before Maul dies??

Aurbere
Sidious doesn't "like" anybody. He likes his apprentices about as much as anyone could reasonably "like" a blunt instrument.

Kurk
Originally posted by Aurbere
Sidious doesn't "like" anybody. He likes his apprentices about as much as anyone could reasonably "like" a blunt instrument.
Why that heartless bastard. Is he a sociopath?

Aurbere
Um. Pretty much.

relentless1
Originally posted by NewGuy01

Regardless, I agree with Freshest.

Dyas died shortly after TPM, Obi Wan says as much when speaking with the Kaminoans

relentless1
I think he favoured Dooku more; he was much more useful to Sidious than Maul ever was; Dooku was the necessary guy to be the face of the opposition, maul wouldn't have been able to fill that spot, he was trained as a one dimensional assassin; he was Sidious' attack dog, nothing more.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by relentless1
I think he favoured Dooku more; he was much more useful to Sidious than Maul ever was; Dooku was the necessary guy to be the face of the opposition, maul wouldn't have been able to fill that spot, he was trained as a one dimensional assassin; he was Sidious' attack dog, nothing more.

I think this sums it up well.

Originally posted by Aurbere

True, but I think he would have a slightly better view of Dooku since he's the more useful instrument.

Sinious
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Pre-Anakin, Maul was likely the better choice. Post-Anakin, Maul's potential is redundant and Sidious would value Dooku's connections more. thumb up

Chosen_Sith

Except none of this is true. In TCW Maul knew how to gather a power base. It couldn't be something that just "popped" into his head when he gained his sanity back. His actions were deliberate. After failing to gain the pirates as allies and getting picked up by Death Watch he quickly motivated/manipulated them into following him. Shortly after gaining the Death Watch as allies he quickly dominated the galactic underworld. Hardly a blunt instrument. He was gone a short time and quickly gathered an army. Dooku might be my favorite but I wouldn't be so quick to discount Maul.

Let's not forget that Maul knew about the clone wars. As quoted in the show; "The clone wars.. so it started without me.." he was in on Sidious long term plans.

relentless1
getting criminals together and leading a galactic schism are two completely different things; in order for Dooku to get all those legit systems and guilds together he had to have had charm, charisma and an air of legitimacy...imagine Maul trying to do that with his devil face...I don't see it working

Darth Thor
maul wouldn't have been able to fill that spot, he was trained as a one dimensional assassin; he was Sidious' attack dog, nothing more.

Nonesense. You haven't been paying attention to Canon at all if you still believe this.

MythLord
Sidious' best servant is unquestionably Vader, then possibly Sedriss, then Dooku, then Maul.

relentless1
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Nonesense. You haven't been paying attention to Canon at all if you still believe this.

like I said, check my previous statement Thor; running a crime syndicate is much different than running an entire half of the galaxy

Beniboybling
Except Sidious had plans to ease Maul into public life, and he was clever and charismatic enough to gain the loyalty of the underworld, Death Watch, Almec and the Mandalorian people.

Certainly Dooku is the more charming character, but Maul was far from a blunt instrument was never intended to be. Nor would it be impossible for Maul to lead the Separatists just as effectively as Dooku through proxy as he planned to do Mandalore.

Chosen_Sith
getting criminals together and leading a galactic schism are two completely different things; in order for Dooku to get all those legit systems and guilds together he had to have had charm, charisma and an air of legitimacy...imagine Maul trying to do that with his devil face...I don't see it working

Except Maul knew about this. He stressed to Savage how important it was to have a face when running Mandalore. He knew with his appearance, personality, etc he couldn't hold onto the planet. Pre Vizla was going to be his puppet ruler and when Pre turned on him he began looking elsewhere for his puppet head. He would have found someone else who is suave and charming to lead the seperatists while he controlled it from the shadows.

Got beat to the punch there rofl.

relentless1
Originally posted by Chosen_Sith
Except Maul knew about this. He stressed to Savage how important it was to have a face when running Mandalore. He knew with his appearance, personality, etc he couldn't hold onto the planet. Pre Vizla was going to be his puppet ruler and when Pre turned on him he began looking elsewhere for his puppet head. He would have found someone else who is suave and charming to lead the seperatists while he controlled it from the shadows.

Got beat to the punch there rofl.

you make a good point there

id still imagine Sids to be a master that craves power, hence his boner for turning Anakin. Dooku would still come out as his favourite between him and maul for the fact that Dooku is a superior Force user and fighter than Maul was.

Chosen_Sith
you make a good point there

id still imagine Sids to be a master that craves power, hence his boner for turning Anakin. Dooku would still come out as his favourite between him and maul for the fact that Dooku is a superior Force user and fighter than Maul was.

By the clone wars Maul wasn't very far from Dooku. Give Maul another twenty years of heavy training and I don't think Dooku would have stood much of a chance.

Beniboybling
It's also implied Darth Maul had more potential than Mother Talzin.

But yeah, Maul was approaching Dooku at less than half the guy's age.

Emperordmb
Too bad we'll never get to see Maul vs Dooku.

I do wonder how close Rebels Maul vs Dooku would be though.

Kurk
Maul has yet to achieve a fraction of the level of mastery Dooku possesses over the force.

NewGuy01
Dyas died shortly after TPM, Obi Wan says as much when speaking with the Kaminoans

No, he didn't.

Emperordmb
Nah Maul's achieved more than a fraction LOL

Aurbere
Maul could have 7/8 of Dooku's mastery and it would still be a fraction. wink

Chosen_Sith
Originally posted by Kurk
Maul has yet to achieve a fraction of the level of mastery Dooku possesses over the force.

Dooku's Beard > Maul TBH

Emperordmb
"DA POWAH WILL BE MYYYYYNNEEEE!!!!">Dooku's beard

Chosen_Sith
Originally posted by Emperordmb
"DA POWAH WILL BE MYYYYYNNEEEE!!!!">Dooku's beard

If the legacy comics continued it would end with Dooku's beard coming back to conquer the known galaxy. All would despair until Obi's beard returns to continue the fight. This begins a new spin off series known as the "Beard Wars."

Sinious
Still not as good as Revan coming back (again) in SoR.

Emperordmb
How many Revan's are there?

Like there's:

1. Mando Wars Revan
2. Darth Revan
3. Redeemed Revan
4. Revan Reborn
5. Foundry Revan
6. Gollum Revan
7. Ghost Revan

Did I miss anyone?

Sinious
Well, it's not like every version of the character "returns", but yeah I get your point. rolling on floor laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.