Death Stranding

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
This is Kojimas new IP staring Norman Reedus. It looks good.

k0ladBsb7rg

-Pr-
It being Kojima means I'm interested, but damn, that trailer does not give much away at all.

Demonic Phoenix
Probably a couple of years away. sad

Kazenji
I'm intrigued by it.

Smasandian
Yeah, there is literally nothing in there.

Release date is at least 2019. Probably early 2020. But isn't this typical Sony releasing a trailer for game that has no chance on coming out in the couple of years.

Nemesis X
6goa1pI_az8

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/53438509.jpg

Smasandian
I found the tank/weird tentacle thing interesting....but I would still like to hear what type of game.....

Arachnid1
https://i.imgur.com/CxWvBrJ.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealGDT/status/804672347185750017

Lol GDT doesn't give a phuck

Originally posted by Smasandian
I found the tank/weird tentacle thing interesting....but I would still like to hear what type of game..... There are others with some interesting theories.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/5g3z3s/four_horsemen/

"I was among the few to immediately jump to biblical conclusions when the first trailer hit, and with this second trailer, I am almost certain that this is the case, so now I'm diving in to everything I can possibly think of about it.
I believe the character we saw at the end of the last trailer was one of the Four Horsemen. In this case, War, as evidenced by the tanks / soldiers and the battlefield. And, he's a soldier.
In the first trailer, I believe we saw Pestilence; we don't have a name to this character yet, but in the bible, the world is said to be ended by "Famine," or the "Black Plague." Famine is also one of the Four.
I think we will get two more trailers, in time. One with Conquest and another with Death. "

Kazenji
Another trailer for this game

dGZEab9P6kk

Arachnid1
I just saw that. Still no idea what it's about. Every trailer so far is super abstract and hard to piece together with the other trailers. Looks great though. It looks like some proper sci-fi

Adam Grimes
So, what the phuck is the gameplay gonna be like?

Nephthys
This is what happens when you let Kojima do whatever he wants with an unlimited budget.

Utter madness. Looking good. thumb up

Arachnid1
https://twitter.com/E3/status/996389751463723008

Not a huge surprise but Kojima is confirmed at E3. He also tweeted a picture oh himself editing together the Death Stranding trailer personally so that's something to look forward to. The video is titled E3 2018 so it's basically a for sure, not that that was in doubt.

Kazenji
Ln4ej0h6MAw

Arachnid1
Looks awesome but I'm hoping that's just another enemy type and not a boss.

Maybe I should stop watching the trailers for this game. After all, I already know I'll get it day 1. The MGSV trailers were phenomenal but they gave away too much. It showed you the Metal Gear boss fight and the final scenes of the game. I'm hoping Kojima doesn't do anything similar here.

Also, lol @ the comment section

"Amazon Employee suddenly encounters a Bloodborne beast"

Tzeentch
A bunch of abstract, barely connected JJ Abrams tier cutscenes
Almost zero gameplay shown

This will definitely be the game that decides for all time whether Kojima is actually a good game developer or just an idiot savant who's been riding the MGS hype wave for 15 years.

Kazenji
OasJhM_bQQk

cdtm
Aaand, it's idiot savant rising a wave.

Khazra Reborn
Those two Castlevania games he produced we're fun

Kazenji
The 2nd game was good even despite some of it's issues.

Kazenji
QPYuukRIpuk

Nemesis X
piIgkJWDuQg

Kazenji
From the latest trailer what i'm getting from it is, Having those babies they can go into the past

to do what....who knows.

Arachnid1
Great trailer. Showed more than any of the others, and we even got a release date! I'd say this is probably my most hyped game at the moment unless the rumors of a new Splinter Cell are true.

Kazenji
Apparently the game's website has a little bit more info on the story.

Impediment

KingD19
Originally posted by Kazenji
From the latest trailer what i'm getting from it is, Having those babies they can go into the past

to do what....who knows.

Isn't the baby also to give you a reset if you get caught by the PT's?

Yeah I'm so confused but will be playing this day 1.

Arachnid1
Just got the collectors edition of this, which is the first time I've ever gotten the collectors edition of anything. Don't let me down Kojima.

Kazenji
The Japanese trailer which has some extra footage the other one didn't have

g1ZLa1Z9-M8

6:05...which looks like a boss battle

ares834
Originally posted by Nemesis X
piIgkJWDuQg

Looks interesting. Hopefully, it actually make sense and isn't full of endless cutscenes like MGS4.

cdtm
Visuals look kind of last gen, imo. The scene where he's walking through a field has pretty weak animations, and everything about this looks like something that could have been done on the PS3..

Good thing I don't care about graphics.

ares834
The hell? The graphics are outstanding.

Kazenji
Which last gen game has that sort of graphics?

Smasandian
I think there is not nothing wrong with the graphics.

But I can see his comment regarding animations. The little fight sequence does not look that great.

Khazra Reborn
Has there been ANY game play reveals for this yet? I don't even know what kind of game it is.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Has there been ANY game play reveals for this yet? I don't even know what kind of game it is. Yes.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Has there been ANY game play reveals for this yet? I don't even know what kind of game it is.

Yeah that recent trailer that was released.

Arachnid1
jKFJrET-3EI

Nemesis X
There's a peeing mechanic that Kojima himself at Gamescom confirms you can use on enemies laughcry

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/19/20812510/death-stranding-trailer-gamescom-pee-margaret-qualley-hideo-kojima

ares834
Walking Simulator: The Game

Looks like a snooze fest. Hopefully, there is some actual gameplay to this game and for whatever reason they've deiced to hide it.

Smasandian
I find it funny articles were like, "gameplay reveal!"....and after it doesn't showing anything new.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a "walking simulator" if it was one of the first ones out...but they have been around for years now.

At this moment, this looks boring and cooing a baby does not sound something I want to play. I already have two damn kids.

I like when people have the resources to create something, especially if they are talented but I have seen cases where unlimited resouces can be a huge disadvantage for a product. This looks to be the case.......

cdtm
I find it funny articles were like, "gameplay reveal!"....and after it doesn't showing anything new.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a "walking simulator" if it was one of the first ones out...but they have been around for years now.

At this moment, this looks boring and cooing a baby does not sound something I want to play. I already have two damn kids.

I like when people have the resources to create something, especially if they are talented but I have seen cases where unlimited resouces can be a huge disadvantage for a product. This looks to be the case.......

This looks like something that will be on the Epic or Humble store giveaways, at some point.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
This looks like something that will be on the Epic or Humble store giveaways, at some point.

Well from the sounds of things this game might be a Playstation game timed exclusive.

Smasandian
Hmm I always though it was PS4 exclusive.

However, I do not know how well this will sell. It's Kojima but this is not showing well.....

Kazenji
Hmm I always though it was PS4 exclusive.

However, I do not know how well this will sell. It's Kojima but this is not showing well.....

The Playstation site has a list of their game exclusives, Death Stranding was there and now it's not

https://www.playstation.com/en-au/explore/ps4-exclusives/

Smasandian
Hmm....I know there was talk about PC...but I wonder if Xbox one is a possibility.

I guess it all depends on who is paying for this game...I always assumed it was Sony.

Arachnid1
AwuPIgIsqyI

https://i.imgur.com/ef1qgNr.png

Kazenji
Seen something from Kojima, Even he doesn't know what the frick the game is all about.

Arachnid1
tCI396HyhbQ

Y'all may want to avoid this trailer. I hear it's a little heavy on the spoilers (I'm avoiding it myself).

Kazenji
Guess those rumors were real after all, The game is also coming to the PC.

Arachnid1
Guess those rumors were real after all, The game is also coming to the PC. Yeah, I heard! Thats fantastic. Exclusivity is annoying IMO.

Also, reviews are out. It looks really divisive. Scores range from 10s to 6s (and one 3, but lol @ that guy). Of my trusted reviewers, Skillup gave it a glowing review and Easy Allies gave it an 8. I'm still waiting for ACGs review.

IGN US gave it a 6.8. Most of the other IGN division gave it a 9 or 10. Gamespot is a 9. Game Informer is a 7.

This guy does a good job of reviewing the game without spoiling anything:
YuLRlRLBwQ8

Arachnid1
JQEPme0SXtQ

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1

IGN US gave it a 6.8. Most of the other IGN division gave it a 9 or 10. Gamespot is a 9. Game Informer is a 7.

I wouldn't trust the U.S. IGN, They're a ****en joke

Arachnid1
I wouldn't trust the U.S. IGN, They're a ****en joke Yeah I know. It's still annoying whenever they tank a games review aggregate. I've still got their Prey (4.0) and Alien Isolation (5.9) reviews fresh in my mind. This game seems to have been polarizing in general though too. It's settled into an 84 on Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding/critic-reviews

14/74 critics are a perfect 10/10

44/74 are a 9 or above

12/74 are below a 70

The average is a little skewed (down to 84) since bigger review sites are weighted higher on Metacritic (I'm betting the IGN review lost it a solid point or two for example). The fact that the large majority of reviews are 9+ seems positive.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah I know. It's still annoying whenever they tank a games review aggregate. I've still got their Prey (4.0) and Alien Isolation (5.9) reviews fresh in my mind. This game seems to have been polarizing in general though too. It's settled into an 84 on Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding/critic-reviews

14/74 critics are a perfect 10/10

44/74 are a 9 or above

12/74 are below a 70

The average is a little skewed (down to 84) since bigger review sites are weighted higher on Metacritic (I'm betting the IGN review lost it a solid point or two for example). The fact that the large majority of reviews are 9+ seems positive. I meant 12 are sub 80 btw. 5 are sub 70.

Anyway, I'll see what all the contention is about this Friday. I'm betting I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm going to try to go in without the Kojima-tinted glasses.

Smasandian
I always find games get more favourable opinions when the games are a bit strange.

I probably completely wrong but I always wonder if reviewers tend to enjoy something wacky because it's something refreshing.

After reading a few reviews, I have no interest in playing this. One review was basically saying the first 10 and the last 10 hours are a ****ing slog....that doesn't seem that great.

jaden_2.0
Anyone playing this yet?

I've done about 3 hours.

I'm getting the distinct feeling I'm being manipulated and that the bridge are not the good guys. Like Tom Cruise's character in Oblivion.

Kojima has some mind bending imagination on him. Ideas like the Timefall, bridge babies and the death stranding really are on a different level from most game writers.

The baby's cries coming through the controller speaker is very unsettling.

It retains a lot of the odd grading systems that the metal gear games had which I've never really liked and a lot of the technological designs share the same look from his previous games which I do like.

Enjoying it so far

Arachnid1
Yeah I'm a solid 10 hours in myself. I'm having fun too. It's an addictive gameplay loop (especially as you unlock more options as far as traversal and tech), though we'll see if it manages to hold my interest more long term.

I'm really enjoying the setting, story, and characters too. It's some proper scifi.

I do have my complaints though. For one, the game is waaaaay too easy (I'm playing on hard). I steamrolled the beginning and the first boss without dying at all. I also didn't have too much trouble just bashing the shit out of mules to get through them. Thankfully though, this seems to have picked up in my current area. Mules have more tech and greater numbers, which makes fighting them a b*tch, even with my bola gun. I'm hoping the next boss is more difficult too.

The stealth sections with the BTs got old really quickly. I'm not a fan of playing minesweeper with enemies I can't see that don't do anything but float there and wait for you to walk into them. Even if they do catch you and start to drag you down, it's stupid easy to just shake them off and go about your business. These guys are more of an annoyance than anything (though the first encounter with them was pretty nerve wrecking).

The stealth in general is kind of poor. Mules have eagle eyes that spot you from a mile away even crouched, and walking/running sound doesn't seem to have much if any impact. So far, stealth doesn't even seem worth the effort, which is insane considering the series Kojima is known for.

Thankfully the traversal and delivery mechanics are fantastic, which is good since that's the entire point of the game. I like that Kojima tried something completely new, and I'm enjoying it. I also can't help but feel that I would have enjoyed better stealth implementation. MGSVs stealth with the traversal and changing world in this game would have been perfect. Build a little off what you're good at, Kojima.

Arachnid1
Just finished it. Loved it. Hell of an ending.

jaden_2.0
So I finally platinum'd this.

Definitely a game of extremes.
The plot is very well written particularly towards the end as all the different stories are brought together.
As I said before, some of Kojima's ideas as on a whole other level. It's hard to find original sci-fi themes and this has some of the best I've seen.
The look of the game is pretty awesome although I did start getting a bit bored as the only variation seems to be the colour of the rocks unless you're in one of the wrecked voidout cities. I don't think it's anywhere near as good a use of the engine as Zero Dawn was though.

The game mechanics can be ridiculously frustrating at times. The bikes and trucks getting stuck on tiny rocks. While on foot being able to walk down almost near vertical cliffs one minute and then "falling" to your death down 45.degree snow slopes the next. Not being able to climb up 3ft rocks.
There's very little variation in the gameplay. Essentially 2 kinds of vehicles (aside from battery life there appears to be very little difference between the variants of them). 4 kinds of delivery types to make. Almost everywhere you deliver to looks exactly the same. The cities are all identical, the way stations are all identical and the small shelters are all identical. The only different location is Heartman's lab.
There also doesn't seem to be any consequences for anything. You're never in danger from Timefall and it only effects packages and vehicles. If you kill someone and leave them to go necro and cause a voidout rather than damage structures that have been built nearby you just die and come back at a point before the voidout.

One of its biggest problems is its characters are all very badly written. Heartman, Cliff Unger and Deadman are the only 3 that seemed vaguely interesting. Sam is about as much a character as the guy from GTA 3. Die-Hardman, Amelie, Mama and Fragile are all wooden.

There seems to be far too little in it. Reminds me of No Man's Sky when it was first released (ok maybe an exaggeration but it still feels empty)

In all honesty, it wasn't an enjoyable experience getting the platinum. Maybe if I had concentrated on the story then went back and did the trophies rather than doing many of them as I went I would've liked it more. Instead I spent a lot of time fully connecting places to the chiral network and so by the time I got to the next part of the story I had forgotten what happened previously.

Overall I'd give it a 5/10.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.