L A Is Converting Motel Units Into 500 Apartments for Homeless Veterans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
major step forward toward housing hundreds of homeless veterans, Los Angeles has approved a deal for developers to convert "nuisance" motels into 500 permanent supportive apartments.

good news

Under the deal, developers will purchase underutilized, often run-down motels from private owners and convert them to efficiency apartments. The city's housing authority will issue vouchers funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, which will cover residents' rent and provide supportive services, including case management and counseling.

"Instead of allowing blighted properties to decay, let's use them to make powerful change in our communities by giving our veterans the access to services and housing that they need and deserve," Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a written statement.

The city's housing authority on Thursday awarded 400 rent vouchers to Shangri-La Construction, a unit of Shangri-La Industries, founded by Hollywood producer Steve Bing, and Step Up on Second, a nonprofit homeless housing agency. The team has 60 days to secure sites.

Volunteers of America will develop 100 units at a motel near its existing project in North Hollywood.

"Nobody else is doing this around the country," said Philip Mangano, the federal homelessness czar under George W. Bush who participated in discussions that led to the deal. "There are business people involved (in homeless housing) but not to this scale."

"What I like about the project is it's immediate," said Volunteers of America President Bob Pratt. "Making these homes available for vets right now, that makes it unique

Tattoos N Scars
That is good news. Glad to hear that.

Sin I AM

Surtur
If a developer was money hungry then for what reason would they even care that they are doing this work for? Or do you mean they are doing the work for free?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Surtur
If a developer was money hungry then for what reason would they even care that they are doing this work for? Or do you mean they are doing the work for free?

I didnt say they were money hungry...i said they're commonly seen as being money hungry in general. It's good to see big business giving back to the community

Time-Immemorial
Could we ban veterans having to wait in line?

Surtur
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

Wait in line for what?

Time-Immemorial
Everything

Sin I AM

I have no idea what you're talking about

Time-Immemorial
Really?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/va-secretary-disney-doesnt-measure-wait-times-so-why-should-va/article/2592021

Seems you don't keep up with current events with the Va.

Sin I AM
U said everything. Wtf is that supposed to mean?

Time-Immemorial
Why are you cursing?

Surtur
I can't agree with them not waiting in line for anything. What if it's somewhere that..you have to wait in line hours to get into?

Surtur
Really?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/va-secretary-disney-doesnt-measure-wait-times-so-why-should-va/article/2592021

Seems you don't keep up with current events with the Va.

Don't you find this to be BS though? You should. This person is trying to compare waiting in line for an amusement park ride to healthcare.

I kind of want to punch the guy in the face who compared it to Disneyland.

roughrider
It's a good story. Homelessness is a problem in general, and it's distasteful to have homeless veterans after what they've done for the country.

Time-Immemorial
I can't agree with them not waiting in line for anything. What if it's somewhere that..you have to wait in line hours to get into?

It's simple to not have a line, give veterans private care like they deserve.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by roughrider
It's a good story. Homelessness is a problem in general, and it's distasteful to have homeless veterans after what they've done for the country.

Yea we should ban veterans from being homeless as well, nationwide.

Sin I AM
Because you were being vague instead of getting to the point. Anyway. What youre suggesting is counter to what the military culture is all about. We are/were here so serve. The idea that wed use our service as an attempt to gain a privilege is insulting.

Surtur
It's simple to not have a line, give veterans private care like they deserve.

I agree when it comes to healthcare. I just meant like, if I'm waiting in line to buy a video game and a veteran is also waiting in line to buy a video game...meh, I don't think the guy should get to cut ahead of me.

But I do think they should have good healthcare. We never hear about cops complaining about shitty health care. Or fire fighters. So why do we do this to our vets?

roughrider
Yea we should ban veterans from being homeless as well, nationwide.

Okay, that's over the top. Ban someone from being homeless? "You're under arrest for being homeless; we'll give a home, a jail cell."

Someone is hitch hiking and crossing the country, that's technically being homeless.

Surtur
Originally posted by roughrider
Okay, that's over the top. Ban someone from being homeless? "You're under arrest for being homeless; we'll give a home, a jail cell."

Someone is hitch hiking and crossing the country, that's technically being homeless.

I think he probably meant we should ban the ability to make a veteran homeless. So for instance if a vet were about to get evicted from his apartment then the government would instead pay the rent of the vet, or something like that.

Which I would have no problem with.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Because you were being vague instead of getting to the point. Anyway. What youre suggesting is counter to what the military culture is all about. We are/were here so serve. The idea that wed use our service as an attempt to gain a privilege is insulting.

I said no such thing.

Time-Immemorial
I agree when it comes to healthcare. I just meant like, if I'm waiting in line to buy a video game and a veteran is also waiting in line to buy a video game...meh, I don't think the guy should get to cut ahead of me.

But I do think they should have good healthcare. We never hear about cops complaining about shitty health care. Or fire fighters. So why do we do this to our vets?

Very articulate and well said.

Sin I AM
I said no such thing.

You said "everything" . did u not?

Time-Immemorial
You said something I never claimed, did you not?

Sin I AM
You said something I never claimed, did you not?

IF what you're saying is that military deserve to skip lines for ANYTHING then no i completely disagree. Instead of saying what you arent saying try being a bit more articulate about what you are saying.

Time-Immemorial
What on earth are you talking about?

Sin I AM
What on earth are you talking about?

Oh ok. You're trolling lol got it 😉

Time-Immemorial
Trolling? I said vets should not have to wait in line for anything, you then went on a tirad about your personal opinion that you interjected into mine. Your the one flipping out and then expanding when I was clearly talking about the health care. Just admit you were wrong and deal with it. I don't care if you look bad, you would look better admitting your flipping shit over nothing.

Sin I AM
Trolling? I said vets should not have to wait in line for anything, you then went on a tirad about your personal opinion that you interjected into mine. Your the one flipping out and then expanding when I was clearly talking about the health care. Just admit you were wrong and deal with it. I don't care if you look bad, you would look better admitting your flipping shit over nothing.

That's the spirit. Your initial post was " everything" which is why it wasnt clear what you meant. If youd simply explain what you meant instead of assuming we were mind readers it wouldve went smoothly.

Any who in regards in regards to healthcare i firmly believe their shouldn't be a preference system. The VA needs a complete overhaul though.

Time-Immemorial
So you thought because I said "everything. "

You took that to mean I meant if there is a line of traffic a vet should go first, or if there is a line at the movie theater a vet should go first.

Cut the shit sin, you ain't fooling anyone but yourself. You knew exactly what I was talking about.

Sin I AM
So you thought because I said "everything. "

You took that to mean I meant if there is a line of traffic a vet should go first, or if there is a line at the movie theater a vet should go first.

Cut the shit sin, you ain't fooling anyone but yourself. You knew exactly what I was talking about.

I mean common sense would suggest that if someone said "everything" then theyd literally mean everything. Maybe you should proofread your posts.

Time-Immemorial
Clearly you didn't have any common sense, Maybe you should quit acting self righteous.

Sin I AM
Clearly you didn't have any common sense, Maybe you should quit acting self righteous.

Lol dude u literally said "everything"

But i digress it's not important. The lines at the VA isnt the most pressing issues for vets it's jobs, compensation and actual healthcare

Time-Immemorial
The lines at the VA is important. Literally vets have called the suicide hotline and been placed on hold or sent to voice mail.

Did you even read the article?

Sin I AM
Yea i read it. But like i said it's not the most pressing issue from veterans that i know. The main issue is jobs. A shitload of jobs in the military do not translate to the civilian sector. So when youre a grunt, or cannon cocker etc youre screwed.

Time-Immemorial
No veterans dying cause they can't get care is more important then jobs

Sin I AM
No veterans dying cause they can't get care is more important then jobs

So you're saying that the number of Veterans death from lack of care is greater than the need for employment post service? If so where are you getting this information from? I live outside fort bragg the largest military installation in the states and I do not see nor have I heard of all these suicide attempts and vets dying from lack of care. And i go to the VA about 3 times a week. Is this a problem in your area of residence?

Time-Immemorial
Anecdotal vs facts.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/03/ig-report-close-to-300000-vets-died-while-waiting-for-health-care-at-va.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/02/politics/va-inspector-general-report/

Sin I AM
Anecdotal vs facts.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/03/ig-report-close-to-300000-vets-died-while-waiting-for-health-care-at-va.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/02/politics/va-inspector-general-report/

Oh u mean claims. Not ACTUAL care. This is true the lines for claims are long. I don't know if u applied for va benefits but it took me nearly two years to get it. I understand that gripe completely. But vets arent literally dying they just aren't pushing the cases thru. I still think mental health and jobs would benefit vets alot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.