Volunteer Work

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Does anyone here do volunteer work or help out with the community? I'm a member of Arts in the Alley a non for profit organization that helps refurbish and clean up dilapidated neighborhoods by getting the community involved.

I'm looking to create my own soon but haven't gotten around the logistics of it. Does anyone here have suggestions of things they'd like done in their communities?

Raisen
I volunteer at the aspca

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Raisen
I volunteer at the aspca

That's awesome. How often do you get to work with animals?

Raisen
Four hours a week usually. I can sign up for more but usually don't have the time. Great people there.

ArtificialGlory
Yeah, I help my community by getting all the homeless people off the streets using my cattle prod.

Time-Immemorial
I fertilize my neighbors yard.

Digi
The line between volunteer work and charitable missions or charitable giving blurs sometimes, and my answer depends on where that line is drawn. I think I fall toward the latter end of the spectrum in my outreach, as detailed in my thread on it, which may be of interest to those posting here (though it's more focused on monetary giving, so the scope is slightly different).

I'm still newish in my city, so I may look into what's out there. I honestly don't know, despite being active regularly in more passive charity events. I'm also part of a large networking and social group, which partners with a lot of volunteer organizations, so I know they're out there; just not the details. Thanks for pointing out this gap in my knowledge, though haermm

Sin, you mentioned creating your own. What would be its purpose and structure?

Surtur
I help the community by supplying local drug dealers with revenue.

jaden101
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I fertilize my neighbors yard.

Does that really just mean you throw shit in your neighbour's yard?

Surtur
Kids are always coming creeping into my yard to get their balls. Every other day I'll walk out and find a soccer ball or whatever.

Nibedicus
Wife does a lot of charity work. Not me tho. :-p

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Digi
The line between volunteer work and charitable missions or charitable giving blurs sometimes, and my answer depends on where that line is drawn. I think I fall toward the latter end of the spectrum in my outreach, as detailed in my thread on it, which may be of interest to those posting here (though it's more focused on monetary giving, so the scope is slightly different).

I'm still newish in my city, so I may look into what's out there. I honestly don't know, despite being active regularly in more passive charity events. I'm also part of a large networking and social group, which partners with a lot of volunteer organizations, so I know they're out there; just not the details. Thanks for pointing out this gap in my knowledge, though haermm

Sin, you mentioned creating your own. What would be its purpose and structure?

Facta non verba

Thats the name of my organization. Its in infancy but basically we are community organizers/clean up crew. I live in Fayetteville NC. Its home to Fort Bragg the largest military installation in the states. Anywho we have a HUGE homeless population of veterans. Thats our first priority. Getting those guys/gals kids off the streets.

We also have hosted neighborhood projects where we basically clean up graffiti...paint buildings. We go to local businesses asking for food donations and we offer meals to the public. Its really good work.

Digi
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Facta non verba

Thats the name of my organization. Its in infancy but basically we are community organizers/clean up crew. I live in Fayetteville NC. Its home to Fort Bragg the largest military installation in the states. Anywho we have a HUGE homeless population of veterans. Thats our first priority. Getting those guys/gals kids off the streets.

We also have hosted neighborhood projects where we basically clean up graffiti...paint buildings. We go to local businesses asking for food donations and we offer meals to the public. Its really good work.

Sounds like it. Good luck!

riv6672
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Does anyone here do volunteer work or help out with the community?
I do quite a bit since retiring.

No real suggestion other than choose something you feel strongly about.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by riv6672
I do quite a bit since retiring.

No real suggestion other than choose something you feel strongly about.

Thats good. How old r u

riv6672
I'll be 48 July 3rd.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by riv6672
I'll be 48 July 3rd.

I salute u

riv6672
Thanks. Hope you find something you like. thumb up

Van Hohenheim
What's the point of volunteer work? It seems redundant to me.

NewGuy01
It's the same as charity on principle, just giving away time instead of money.

Van Hohenheim
Originally posted by NewGuy01
It's the same as charity on principle, just giving away time instead of money.
That doesn't explain the principle. Say, volunteers-volunteer to pick up trash from a highway, they spend several days picking it up. The next day people litter the same area. Sure you fixed a temporary problem, but the long time problem is still there.
Given the futile nature of volunteer work , what compels people to do it?

Scribble

~Mel1974~
I volunteer for Age Uk. Love my job, we are like one big family and are always laughing. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.