The Phantom Menace vs. TOR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
The. Prequel trilogy causes mixed reception among fans of the Star Wars mythos. But in terms of originality/storytelling what was the more endeavoring project? When the Phantom Menace came out we saw the Jedi in their prime for the first time, and it began a new era of content. What did TOR do better Han the beginning of the PT, and what strengths do either era have that the other lacks in content/storytelling/acting?

Jmanghan
The Old Republic made Revan, so thats a thing.

Nephthys
The Phantom Menace is trash. TOR is mostly good to mediocre. In terms of storytelling.

Jmanghan
KOTOR is the best game Storytelling-wise.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Jmanghan
KOTOR II is the best game Storytelling-wise.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by carthage
Prequel trilogy causes mixed reception That's a very kind way of putting it.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nephthys
Ew.

SunRazer
KotOR II had better characters than the first game, it's just that the story was strange and had numerous plot holes. The ending was pretty damn bad, too.

Selenial
Originally posted by SunRazer
The ending was pretty damn bad, too.

Agreed, tbh.

I actually really like the concept of the ending though, if only they had the time to do it right.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Ew.

Obsidian is almost objectively far, far, far superior to Bioware in terms of writing and storytelling. Avellone would seriously make Krapyshan his prison b*tch if it came to it. Kotor II has the better cast of characters, has a much more intelligent set of themes and motifs and is in every way the better story.

Originally posted by Selenial
Agreed, tbh.

I actually really like the concept of the ending though, if only they had the time to do it right.

Kotors ending wasn't that much better honestly. I like that II let you hear about your companions and what will happen instead of you beating Malak and then cutting to a medal ceremony.

SunRazer
Originally posted by Selenial
Agreed, tbh.

The concept of the whole story is much better (deeper and more original), it's just that there's a lot of holes in it and certain parts desperately needed to be fleshed out more.

I think almost everyone can agree that the characters in KotOR II were better, though. The party, the villains, etc.

Darth Abonis
SWTOR sucks. Phantom Menace had Darth Maul so it re-deemed itself.

Nephthys
Jadus > Maul tbh.

MythLord
LOL.

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
SWTOR sucks. Phantom Menace had Darth Maul so it re-deemed itself.

Haven't laughed this hard since the last person who said the PT was better than the EU.

AncientPower
If you count the novel then TPM has a strong case.

Furthermore, Jedi Power Battles defecates on KOTOR tbh.

The_Tempest
NJO is good stuff, overall. Though I don't deny that it has its shit moments.

Whoops. Wrong goddamn thread.

Deronn_solo
TPM.

TOR is straight period blood-tier.

The Ellimist
By TOR do you mean the whole era, or just the mmorg?

Jmanghan
SWTOR is just...

boring...

Only the evil dudes and the smugglers are interesting.

But the Hero of Tython has the best story unfortunately :/

Deronn_solo
The video game. TotJ, Red Harvest, KotOR etc are all pretty good reads and plays, honestly.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by AncientPower
If you count the novel then TPM has a strong case.

Furthermore, Jedi Power Battles defecates on KOTOR tbh. Jedi Power Battles was awful.

The controls sucked, some of the characters they didn't even get accurate. Why did Mace have a blue lightsaber?

Even for the time, the graphics were really bad, when we already had games like Crash Bandicoot out, that was embarrassing.

The saber combat is basic and stupid, I'd argue that the Star Wars Episode 1 game had better combat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.