Mindreading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Parmaniac
There are some advances in technology that in the near future we could be able to visualize thoughts and kind of read minds.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/scientists-develop-brain-decoder-can-hear-inner-thoughts/

(there are other projects aswell but I can't find the link anymore)

What are your general thoughts of this and should we use it to check civilians to bust terrorist, child molesters and other people who commit felonies (maybe even entire drug cartells)? Or is it too much of a privacy invasion?

Surtur
If it was 100% full proof then of course we should use it to see if someone is guilty of a crime. It'd be the ultimate lie detector test.

But you see the issue is..our government is kind of..full of pieces of utter shit. They'd use and abuse this kind of technology. Just imagine what these horrible groups like the CIA would do with it?

DarthAnt66
This type of technology shouldn't be explored or used. Even the worst of people are entitled to their own thoughts as long as they live.

When we start using it, there's no telling at what point the government says "enough is enough," and that's even assuming they will say that at all.

Tattoos N Scars
That would be the worst form of invasion of privacy. I could understand using it as a possible deterrent of terrorism and for urgent national security issues, but not as a way to obtain confessions of criminal acts perpetrated by our citizens not linked to terror networks. This type of technology would go well beyond the current parameters of the Patriot Act and into a territory that would jeopardize our Constitutional rights. It is probably better to limit this technology to scientific research instead of allowing any government agency to exploit and abuse it.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
This type of technology shouldn't be explored or used. Even the worst of people are entitled to their own thoughts as long as they live.

Of course, my first reaction was "that's cool", but on second thought, this. 100%.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

When we start using it, there's no telling at what point the government says "enough is enough," and that's even assuming they will say that at all.
It definitely needs to be explored. Used? Not so much.

NewGuy01
What's the point of exploring it and not using it? If anything, that sounds like a slippery slope to me...

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NewGuy01
What's the point of exploring it and not using it? If anything, that sounds like a slippery slope to me...
Have you no imagination at all? So many scientific, medical, biomechanical, etc. breakthroughs could come out of studying such technology.

Surtur
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Have you no imagination at all? So many scientific, medical, biomechanical, etc. breakthroughs could come out of studying such technology.

Have you considered that if they can create technology to read your mind that one day it might evolve into technology capable of actually controlling your mind?

I'd rather them not develop technology that is just waiting to become part of a super villains origin story.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
Have you considered that if they can create technology to read your mind that one day it might evolve into technology capable of actually controlling your mind?

I'd rather them not develop technology that is just waiting to become part of a super villains origin story.
I'd embrace that, too. To me it's a matter of morality and ethics on how technology in general is used, no matter what it is. Technological and scientific progress cannot be stopped, therefor it's up to us to make sure the inevitable advancements are not misused.

Surtur
The problem is if we look at our governments track record it would be naive of us to assume they wouldn't misuse it.

Almost sounds like wire tapping. It was made legal during WW2 because..nazi's and shit, but after the war as time went on people in the government abused the ability.

Also remember we specifically engineered assassination guns lol. If we're willing to do that then it worries me what we'd do with this type of stuff.

ArtificialGlory
The problem is if we look at our governments track record it would be naive of us to assume they wouldn't misuse it.

Almost sounds like wire tapping. It was made legal during WW2 because..nazi's and shit, but after the war as time went on people in the government abused the ability.

Also remember we specifically engineered assassination guns lol. If we're willing to do that then it worries me what we'd do with this type of stuff.
Hey, I don't disagree with that. In the end, if we can't prevent them from misusing new tech, then we sure as hell can't prevent them from developing it. We, as citizens, seriously need to step our game up.

Surtur
At this point it's too late. Those who have been in power in this country for the last century or so..do not want to loosen their grasp.

Obviously I am not talking about immortal beings that have been alive for a century, I'm just talking about a bunch of like minded government officials that rose up in the ranks over the years. They were greedy and loved power, and they passed that down to the next generation, and the next, etc.

It's too late, our greed made it that way. It's the same with illegal immigrants. It's too late: our greed has made them necessary to our economy, we f*cked ourselves over for some cheap labor. Greed is our undoing.

When you actually think about it..it's a pretty depressing thought. Things need to change, many things, but they won't really change.

ArtificialGlory
At this point it's too late. Those who have been in power in this country for the last century or so..do not want to loosen their grasp.

Obviously I am not talking about immortal beings that have been alive for a century, I'm just talking about a bunch of like minded government officials that rose up in the ranks over the years. They were greedy and loved power, and they passed that down to the next generation, and the next, etc.

It's too late, our greed made it that way. It's the same with illegal immigrants. It's too late: our greed has made them necessary to our economy, we f*cked ourselves over for some cheap labor. Greed is our undoing.

When you actually think about it..it's a pretty depressing thought. Things need to change, many things, but they won't really change.
It's a kind of what I call 'synthetic evil' that we've created for ourselves. Not out of malevolence, but simply out of greed, selfishness, and apathy. It's not too late, I don't think it ever is, but we seriously need to get our shit together.

Surtur
I think it's become too much of a well oiled machine.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I fear that once it starts being explored and produced, it will only be a matter of time before the government gets their hands on it.

The potential harm vastly outweighs the potential good. It's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Tattoos N Scars
Who knows! The military/government may have already had this technology for years, created in some Area 51 type facility lol.

Surtur
There is a series called "Unsealed: Conspiracy Files" that has an episode about mind control. It is on Netflix. Hmm..perhaps I'll give it a look. It's only 18 minutes long.

EDIT: Okay so I'm like 4 minutes in and already they have said the guy who killed Bobby Kennedy was being mind controlled.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.