amped! TUF Luke vs. LotF Luke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
The TUF Luke being amped by a battle meld

vs.

Luke in Legacy of the Force, no amp

No jobbing.

JKBart
TUF

Although battle meld means shit, it's for team coordination

The Ellimist
If the battle meld means shit then why would TUF Luke win? Do you think LotF Luke was past his prime?

JKBart
Yeah. Besides some Force-heavy stuff, including mainly Abeloth fights, all of his FotJ/LotF combat showings are way beneath what he demonstrated throughout NJO. He never operated on such a scale of absolute slaughter after NJO. Call it jobbing, but if that's what he was continuously through 18 books, I don't think it's accurate.

The Ellimist
That doesn't really make any sense, why would Luke peak in his 40s, Palpatine didn't have close to his potential and was still growing stronger in RotJ when he was over 80.

Also Luke never really faces the giant armies he does in NJO and only is in situations where he has to really unleash himself vs. individuals (.ie Abeloth). I'd say his pinning Caedus to his chair is one of the most impressive feats ever, tbh.

BTW do you think this decline had started by DN? Because his performance vs. UnuThul may be the most impressive in the mythos.

JKBart
After DNT.

And yes, as I said, Force-heavy stuff is definitely another story. But actual combat is another. He never mopped the floor with people like he did at NJO.

The Ellimist
Isn't Luke vs. Caedus a combat?

JKBart
That was the only time he combatively operated on TUF level, and he was bloodlusted

The Ellimist
He wasn't bloodlusted when he pinned him to his chair, and that only wasn't combat because it was completely one sided.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by JKBart
TUF

Although battle meld means shit, it's for team coordination

Nah, The Essential Guide to the Force very explicitly states that the battle-meld enables Jedi to "draw on one another's strength for support." It goes on to say that "battle-meld permits a group of Jedi to become stronger than if each stood alone, while also enabling them to communicate with one another through the Force."

It enhances both effectiveness and coordination separately.

NewGuy01
It's overrated as **** though.

JKBart
> draw on one another's strength for support.
So... they draw from each other's strengths. They do not amplify it on their own. If there is one combatant, he doesn't have anyone to draw the "strenth from support" (from "one another"wink.

>battle-meld permits a group of Jedi to become stronger than if each stood alone,
Self-explanatory.

> while also enabling them to communicate with one another through the Force.
As above.

So... nah.

The_Tempest
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc520/G1d3on91/battlemeld_zpsl6txw8c0.png

Dunno, that's pretty high praise.

Years and years ago, when I was in Project Holocron mode and felt the need to reconcile every obscure thread of factoid into a seamless tapestry of continuity, I was pretty critical of Luke's performance in TUF for this very reason.

You can't ignore it, but at the same time I'm sympathetic to the notion that Faunus offered: based on TUF's actual text, Luke didn't seem to be particularly amped. It seems more likely that the battlemeld was such that it Jacen and Jaina were the primary, if not total, beneficiaries, drawing off Luke's strength to help aid somewhat in his task.

It would also explain how the Solo twins were able to fend off so many Slayers whereas Kyp was unable to.

The_Tempest
> draw on one another's strength for support.
So... they draw from each other's strengths. They do not amplify it on their own. If there is one combatant, he doesn't have anyone to draw the "strenth from support" (from "one another"wink.

>battle-meld permits a group of Jedi to become stronger than if each stood alone,
Self-explanatory.

> while also enabling them to communicate with one another through the Force.
As above.

So... nah.

The text says that the Jedi become stronger and then identifies enhanced communication {and therefore coordination} as a separate and distinct benefit. Pretty cut-and-dry, no two ways about it. Sorry. erm

JKBart
You mean this part?

Man, it's pretty obvious it's talking about the Jedi benefiting from their group connection.It's even talking about a group of Jedi over there. How the hell can one Jedi benefit from a technique that's creating a meld between combatants if no one else is there, kek?

On topic, unless we're saying Luke here has the access to Jaina and Jacen's Force pools, it makes no sense.

The_Tempest
You mean this part?

Man, it's pretty obvious it's talking about the Jedi benefiting from their group connection.It's even talking about a group of Jedi over there. How the hell can one Jedi benefit from a technique that's creating a meld between combatants if no one else is there, kek?

On topic, unless we're saying Luke here has the access to Jaina and Jacen's Force pools, it makes no sense.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/92421b131c806967a34fdb30d20c0375/tumblr_mz18v0g8ga1rflq7lo1_250.gif

Obviously the Jedi benefit from the group connection. It enables each to draw on the strength of the others and also affords them a deeper, easier means of communicating and therefore coordinating. It enhances their power, bolsters their perception, and establishes a TP link that allows them to fight more effectively.

It does alllll the above.

Does this make sense, you worthless Polish masochistic freakshow? excellent

Writhe in your own despiur.

JKBart
Getting the energy from one another within their own meld is also from team connection and that's why it's shit in a fight with one person only as I wrote in the first post kek

The_Tempest
The battlemeld doesn't exist without a team. Obviously Ell means that in this fight he's still getting whatever benefits he got from it in TUF even though the team isn't here lol

JKBart
Tbh since both NJO Jacen and NJO Jaina are complete shit compared to him it was them that got benefits from the battlemeld I guess :hmm:

Here it would probably mean getting magical access to Solo's reserves though they're not there I guess

The Ellimist
Depending on how battle melds work, sure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.