Aquaman Vs Colossus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
No mental powers for Aquaman.

http://i63.tinypic.com/flbuio.jpg

vs

http://i68.tinypic.com/2aev3f8.jpg

Blue Area Vet
Let me guess, Aquaman keeps his trusty magical Trident?

-Pr-
He wouldn't need it; he's far stronger than Colossus.

EcstaticGrace
Arthur should have a Stat advantage in everything other then Piercing Durability.

leonidas
yeah arthur. colossus is stronger than he has been in the past, but he's still not in this class. close imo. it wouldn't be a completely one-sided affair, but he'd take a good majority for sure imo--maybe 8/10.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by -Pr-

Far stronger?

zopzop
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Far stronger?
One dude is lifting jets while the other is pushing continental plates. stick out tongue

CosmicComet
Far stronger?

By feats, immensely.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by CosmicComet
By feats, immensely.

Always thought of him as Grimm level. Nice to see he got that push

S/n he's dope as phuck in injustice 2

CosmicComet
I'm sorry but he looks...like he bats for the other team in Injustice 2.

He looked great in the first one though.

Sin I AM
I'm sorry but he looks...like he bats for the other team in Injustice 2.

He looked great in the first one though.

I like it because he aeemed to have gotten a buff. Have u played ut? Its beautifully rendered

CosmicComet
No, is there a demo out or something? :/

Sin I AM
No, is there a demo out or something? :/

I thought it was out. I've only seen the Youtube videos. Kara seems legit but I'd rather they had used star sapphire or vixen

CosmicComet
No they just barely announced it.

It looks meh anyway.

nwg202
AM

StiltmanFTW

You monster... look what you've done to Piotr:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/109146/2321058-heartless.jpg

-Pr-
Far stronger?

TBH, he's always been a fair bit stronger. They just didn't focus on it as much during the Post Crisis days, as they wanted to make his telepathy his primary means of attack.

Atm though, he's as strong as he's ever been.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You monster... look what you've done to Piotr:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/109146/2321058-heartless.jpg

Ugh. Why would you post that abomination...

StiltmanFTW
Because you basically tore his heart out with that post of yours.

EcstaticGrace
TBH, he's always been a fair bit stronger. They just didn't focus on it as much during the Post Crisis days, as they wanted to make his telepathy his primary means of attack.

I miss his offensive telepathy he had it since Pre-Crisis days and now it's gone :/

But yeah the city street thing would also put him above Collussus featwise.

complexbrother
Originally posted by leonidas
yeah arthur. colossus is stronger than he has been in the past, but he's still not in this class. close imo. it wouldn't be a completely one-sided affair, but he'd take a good majority for sure imo--maybe 8/10.

Aquaman
http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/4150356-aquaman-punch-640x453.jpg

h1a8
Aquaman 8-9/10
Colossus is still something imo

-Pr-
Because you basically tore his heart out with that post of yours.

Considering the version it is, good.

Originally posted by EcstaticGrace

I miss his offensive telepathy he had it since Pre-Crisis days and now it's gone :/

But yeah the city street thing would also put him above Collussus featwise.

I don't think his telepathy is necessarily gone; they're just not writing it much if at all.

EcstaticGrace
I don't think his telepathy is necessarily gone; they're just not writing it much if at all.

Really seems nerfed considering Aquatic animals can override his telepathy under Johns pen by the logic of their fear is overriding his command.

Compared to
Fighting 100 million years of evolution

http://imgur.com/a/PkcqW

I honestly didnt expect his Telepathy to come back full force but Rebirth might make it so, and Convergence kind of brought attention back to it despite it not being the Nu52 continuity.

Probing through a City with Martian Manhunter

http://imgur.com/lDqCGz6

Telepathic Assualt alongside Martian Manhunter takes down the Tangent Secret Six

http://imgur.com/JT0uCvL

StiltmanFTW
Considering the version it is, good.

Yeah, I know it's Ultimate stick out tongue

Wanted to post 616 Colossus crying instead... that Secret Wars scene when everyone votes to stop Doom w/ Beyonder's power... but didn't have the scan on hand.

-Pr-
Originally posted by EcstaticGrace
Really seems nerfed considering Aquatic animals can override his telepathy under Johns pen by the logic of their fear is overriding his command.

Compared to
Fighting 100 million years of evolution

http://imgur.com/a/PkcqW

I honestly didnt expect his Telepathy to come back full force but Rebirth might make it so, and Convergence kind of brought attention back to it despite it not being the Nu52 continuity.

Probing through a City with Martian Manhunter

http://imgur.com/lDqCGz6

Telepathic Assualt alongside Martian Manhunter takes down the Tangent Secret Six

http://imgur.com/JT0uCvL

I haven't read ALL of the appearances, but I would agree that there's been something of a nerf, yes.

I just don't think it's irredeemable, is all.

Yeah, I know it's Ultimate stick out tongue

Wanted to post 616 Colossus crying instead... that Secret Wars scene when everyone votes to stop Doom w/ Beyonder's power... but didn't have the scan on hand.

laughing out loud

psycho gundam
He wouldn't need it; he's far stronger than Colossus. Colossus' damage soak is greater than his own strength evident by what's he's done versus what's been done to him. Imo Aquaman is the inverse; he might give more than he can take

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Colossus' damage soak is greater than his own strength evident by what's he's done versus what's been done to him. Imo Aquaman is the inverse; he might give more than he can take

Aquaman has a long history of tanking damage from people above him or around him for a pretty long about of time.

New52 he's taken a beating from a Mind Possessed Martian Manhunter, Hercules, he took a lot of damage from Atlan the Dead King in their fight.

Pre52 he's taken a sustained blast from Starro which oneshotted Orion to space, An Angel Cry said to be capable of destroying matter itself as well as being said to have destroyed the walls of Jericho which are about city size length, as well as taking a trashing from League Busters like Amazo and Titus.

I'll agree that Aquaman punches above his strength feats but his durability is top notch as well atleast in everything minus piercing.

-Pr-
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Colossus' damage soak is greater than his own strength evident by what's he's done versus what's been done to him. Imo Aquaman is the inverse; he might give more than he can take

I agree about Colossus, but not necessarily about Aquaman. At least not to the extent that Colossus displays that kind of disparity.

Delta1938
I agree about Colossus, but not necessarily about Aquaman. At least not to the extent that Colossus displays that kind of disparity.

Off-topic, but for Pre-FLASHPOINT, I actually saw him being more durable than strong, at least before the Waterhand(which I only read a bit of). Would you disagree on that for that era?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Delta1938
Off-topic, but for Pre-FLASHPOINT, I actually saw him being more durable than strong, at least before the Waterhand(which I only read a bit of). Would you disagree on that for that era?

TBH I would agree. Especially under Peter David's pen.

Delta1938
TBH I would agree. Especially under Peter David's pen.

Same after the Waterhand, or both were about the same? I only read a few of those appearances, but he seemed stronger.

-Pr-
Same after the Waterhand, or both were about the same? I only read a few of those appearances, but he seemed stronger.

To me, they had sort of evened out (at least in terms of what we were seeing on panel) by the time he got rid of the waterhand and was coming up to Infinite Crisis. He just had to go and die and ruin it all.

Decter
Aquaman easily

Delta1938
To me, they had sort of evened out (at least in terms of what we were seeing on panel) by the time he got rid of the waterhand and was coming up to Infinite Crisis. He just had to go and die and ruin it all.

So he went from being able to hang with Top-Tier bricks mostly because of disproportionately high durability to overall being a notch below?

And I'm thinking of going through as much of his Post-CRISIS stuff as I can. Any suggestions where to start?

-Pr-
So he went from being able to hang with Top-Tier bricks mostly because of disproportionately high durability to overall being a notch below?

And I'm thinking of going through as much of his Post-CRISIS stuff as I can. Any suggestions where to start?

The problem is really that from what little pre-crisis stuff I've read (and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), Aquaman was generally a high tier brick that just preferred to use his telepathy more often. Then the crisis came, and though a lot of his storyline was carried over from before the crisis, we didn't see a lot of him until Peter David took over the series in the early 90s. He wrote Aquaman as strong, sure, but he was adamant about making him as impressive a telepath as he could, to the point that he didn't need incredible strength to win fights. This continued even up until and through the Water Hand stuff, and even the sub-diego stuff is few and far between (he does have a couple of nice feats from that period).

There are some issues of Justice League Year One (I think it was) that deal with Aquaman having super strength to the extent that he actually needed to adapt to the surface world as he found everything to be more fragile, but again, his telepathy was still the main "weapon" of his.

Then Johns came along. Johns is the one that really started to focus on his strength again, and I would argue that while Aquaman does still have that "more durable than strong" thing going on, it isn't as high a disparity as some might think. It's more like, say, Wonder Woman's situation.

I don't think his durability has been nerfed at all, tbh. I think his strength has just been written more consistently in-line with it than before.

As far as reading goes:

When I started, I started right after the crisis with his two mini-series (one in 1986, one in 1989), and his short-lived solo-series in 1991 . They're not terrible, but if you want to start when Aquaman REALLY picks up, then you should start with Time and Tide, a four issue mini that Peter David wrote, which starts his run on the character.

Aquaman's solo series after that is the one that ran right up until Infinite Crisis, and has all the best post crisis stuff of his.

Delta1938
The problem is really that from what little pre-crisis stuff I've read (and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), Aquaman was generally a high tier brick that just preferred to use his telepathy more often. Then the crisis came, and though a lot of his storyline was carried over from before the crisis, we didn't see a lot of him until Peter David took over the series in the early 90s. He wrote Aquaman as strong, sure, but he was adamant about making him as impressive a telepath as he could, to the point that he didn't need incredible strength to win fights. This continued even up until and through the Water Hand stuff, and even the sub-diego stuff is few and far between (he does have a couple of nice feats from that period).

What little I read for Pre-CRISIS did have him strong, but not up with the big guns. I know he hurt Amazo, but it's not like lower tiered don't hurt higher tiered opponents. Although maybe we have different standards on levels. This also brings up, should I read the Pre-CRISIS stuff that carried over? And if so, what is it?

There are some issues of Justice League Year One (I think it was) that deal with Aquaman having super strength to the extent that he actually needed to adapt to the surface world as he found everything to be more fragile, but again, his telepathy was still the main "weapon" of his.

Yeah, JLA: YEAR ONE by Mark Waid. The only instance I recall though was him trying to screw in a light bulb, and Hal pulling a prank of having him search for a "bulb wrench." He did show some cool stuff though like sending a multi-story building sized giant flying with a punch.

Then Johns came along. Johns is the one that really started to focus on his strength again, and I would argue that while Aquaman does still have that "more durable than strong" thing going on, it isn't as high a disparity as some might think. It's more like, say, Wonder Woman's situation.

I don't think his durability has been nerfed at all, tbh. I think his strength has just been written more consistently in-line with it than before.

Not sure if you misunderstood me or were talking in general. I was referring to his durability being downgraded as his strength catching up to it since before, while he was pretty strong, his durability seemed practically a tier above his strength, and then what little I read after the Waterhand his strength seemed to be more up with it.

As far as reading goes:

When I started, I started right after the crisis with his two mini-series (one in 1986, one in 1989), and his short-lived solo-series in 1991 . They're not terrible, but if you want to start when Aquaman REALLY picks up, then you should start with Time and Tide, a four issue mini that Peter David wrote, which starts his run on the character.

Aquaman's solo series after that is the one that ran right up until Infinite Crisis, and has all the best post crisis stuff of his.

Thanks. I actually will want to get as much as I can, maybe it's an OCD thing. But I'm not up on what his appearances where until Peter David took over(I guess I could always check DC Wiki). Like I said before, should I read the stuff Pre-CRISIS that was still canon, and if so, what would I need?

-Pr-
What little I read for Pre-CRISIS did have him strong, but not up with the big guns. I know he hurt Amazo, but it's not like lower tiered don't hurt higher tiered opponents. Although maybe we have different standards on levels. This also brings up, should I read the Pre-CRISIS stuff that carried over? And if so, what is it?

Yeah, JLA: YEAR ONE by Mark Waid. The only instance I recall though was him trying to screw in a light bulb, and Hal pulling a prank of having him search for a "bulb wrench." He did show some cool stuff though like sending a multi-story building sized giant flying with a punch.

Not sure if you misunderstood me or were talking in general. I was referring to his durability being downgraded as his strength catching up to it since before, while he was pretty strong, his durability seemed practically a tier above his strength, and then what little I read after the Waterhand his strength seemed to be more up with it.

Thanks. I actually will want to get as much as I can, maybe it's an OCD thing. But I'm not up on what his appearances where until Peter David took over(I guess I could always check DC Wiki). Like I said before, should I read the stuff Pre-CRISIS that was still canon, and if so, what would I need?

I honestly don't think he was downgraded any more than any of the other DC characters were by the crisis; I mean, I don't think he ever had durability on par with say, Superman. If he was downgraded at all, then it was only by a little, tiny bit. He's still incredibly durable.

Is that a better answer?

All I know for sure was carried over was what happened with his son and Black Manta in "Death of a Prince" and the resulting issues with Mera, but bar that, I don't know. I've read very little pre crisis DC in general.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.