Thomas Sowell - The Reality Of Multiculturalism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SquallX
With all the dumb shits going on this world about Multiculturalism, i found his perspective to be pretty enlighten.

He's name is Dr Thomas Sowell, i accidentally found him on youtube, and since then i've become a great fan. Even bought one of his books.

It's a shame there isn't more of him out there.

9ESlS2jrhXY

So what do you guys think?

snowdragon
Multiculturalism is a hot bucket of piss, it stinks.

What I have seen is that when someone speaks of multiculralism they are inadvertantly looking to create many subcultures as described in the video.

They all won't be made equal because not all cultures are yet we will hear about all the injustices thrown at the unsuccessful cultures rather then the responsibility to adapt and change from within.

MS Warehouse
Sowell is a phenomenal writer.

jaden101
Why is multiculturalism only ever viewed at through a race lens?

Take Japan. For the most part racially homogeneous yet adopts it's traditional culture and American culture in equal measure.

Brazil, racially diverse but culturally homogeneous.

Britain. Took on aspects of culture from numerous societies over thousands of years and adapted them all even into the 21st century.

The real problem is ghettoization. Where relatively small numbers of a single culture are all deliberately settled in one neighbourhood and have all the means to live apart thus having no incentive to become part of their host culture.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by jaden101

Take Japan. For the most part racially homogeneous yet adopts it's traditional culture and American culture in equal measure.

Britain. Took on aspects of culture from numerous societies over thousands of years and adapted them all even into the 21st century.

The real problem is ghettoization. Where relatively small numbers of a single culture are all deliberately settled in one neighbourhood and have all the means to live apart thus having no incentive to become part of their host culture.
Good post.

Sin I AM

This

SquallX

I wish more people sees it the way you describe, maybe if they did, the World wouldn't be so ****ed up.

krisblaze

You haven't been to Japan.

Adam Grimes

The real problem is ghettoization. Where relatively small numbers of a single culture are all deliberately settled in one neighbourhood and have all the means to live apart thus having no incentive to become part of their host culture. It was being time you made a post worth reading. thumb up

Flyattractor
Originally posted by krisblaze

Funny thing about Japan. It accepts and assimilates aspects of other cultures but it has taken in VERY FEW other actual PEOPLES! Unlike places like Britain and the U.S.

Stigma
Originally posted by SquallX
With all the dumb shits going on this world about Multiculturalism, i found his perspective to be pretty enlighten.

He's name is Dr Thomas Sowell, i accidentally found him on youtube, and since then i've become a great fan. Even bought one of his books.

It's a shame there isn't more of him out there.

9ESlS2jrhXY

So what do you guys think?
Great find thumb up

I am happy other people here also are familiar with Sowell. I've seen and heard only good things about him, sometimes stating he is one of the sharpest minds that the US can offer. This is a phenomenal praise and he seems to live up to that.thumb up

MS Warehouse
http://apjjf.org/-Chris-Burgess/3310/article.html

jaden101

Your point?

Raisen

Finally. Finally a true post. But it's not small numbers jaden. We all know it's massive numbers of a particular culture

jaden101
Originally posted by Raisen
Finally. Finally a true post. But it's not small numbers jaden. We all know it's massive numbers of a particular culture

Not globally speaking it's not.

Even in the UK you could count on 1 hand the number of problem areas to which you refer.

Raisen
Hmm really? What about the entire continent this culture derived from

krisblaze
Your point?
My point is that Japan does not 'adopt american culture and its traditional culture in equal measure'.

Saying that would be like saying that a society has adopted monkeys into their culture because it has a zoo.

jaden101
My point is that Japan does not 'adopt american culture and its traditional culture in equal measure'.

Saying that would be like saying that a society has adopted monkeys into their culture because it has a zoo.

Given that their entire political and economic structure post war, including their constitution, was effectively rewritten by America and everything that stemmed from it I'd say my argument stands.

jaden101
Originally posted by Raisen
Hmm really? What about the entire continent this culture derived from

The entire continent? You mean the continent that also includes China and India?

krisblaze
Given that their entire political and economic structure post war, including their constitution, was effectively rewritten by America and everything that stemmed from it I'd say my argument stands.
You must not know much about what actually happened, or the current political or economical structure in Japan.

And the fact that the Abe cabinet is currently working to rewrite that very consitution should be proof enough that they haven't really 'adopted' that particular aspect of American culture.

I'd say the only similar aspect of Japanese and American politics is the 'iron triangle' and that is much more a universal concept these days thanks to neo-liberalism.

The average Japanese citizen is exposed to less American culture than the majority of Europe, China and South America I'd say.

Time-Immemorial
You must not know much about what actually happened, or the current political or economical structure in Japan.

And the fact that the Abe cabinet is currently working to rewrite that very consitution should be proof enough that they haven't really 'adopted' that particular aspect of American culture.

I'd say the only similar aspect of Japanese and American politics is the 'iron triangle' and that is much more a universal concept these days thanks to neo-liberalism.

The average Japanese citizen is exposed to less American culture than the majority of Europe, China and South America I'd say.

Thats some good posting Kris.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.