Musical version of Lord of the Rings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

maul's woman
Well I find it interesting. A musical of LOTR. That is quite an undertaking. It will premier in London in 2005. I'm curious and would definitely LOVE to see it.

I think it will lend itself quite nicely to a musical setting. Today we call them musicals. 150 to 200 years ago they would have been called operas. It would be an incredibly LONG musical like Nicholas Nichelby I think but it can be good just the same. big grin

I understand there is also an Opera written for STAR TREK back in the early 1980s. It was all ready to be performed but there was some sort of production problem. Probably some legal entanglement and the production was shelved. Too bad.

There is also a LOTR ballet that was performing. I heard it was quite good.

What do you think?

Phoenix
Sounds cool! I'd love ta see it!

GordonSkywalker
There has always been rumours of a Star Trek musical opera but thankfully that is all they are- rumours.

Ushgarak
Nope, not a joke, they are planning a West End musical of Lord of the Rings, costing some eight million quid, auditions start next year.

"I am quite attratced to things that are seemingly impossible," says Matthew Warchus, the director, who recently directed Our House and Tell Me on a Sunday. Well, looks like he has got his heart's desire here then!

"There are obviously huge challenges, like the trees, the battles and the monsters, plus the scale of the journey." He's no fool, is he?

Anyone care to guess what the songs will be? Plenty of material in the books, of course... oh dear...

mah
YES! SONGS FROM THE BOOKS! LOTS OF 'EM! I want this to be all songs from the book...almoststick out tongue goodness, this is great

Phoenix
Yeh, I saw this in the express AND the telegraph... Sounds cool, I wanna see it!! I hear there gonna make loadsa cuts tho - the FULL musical, of all three parts added together, is only gonna be 3 and a half hours long... How are they gonna fit it all in?

DreamsinFire
omg..that sounds hilarious...

cermiestar
I have an idea for a song.
"La la la. I have the one ring. La la la "
ok that was bad and i hope the real one is A LOT better.
Hey, anyone else hear that they want Hugh Jackman (wolverine) to play Aragorn?

cermiestar
Oh, i wanna see a LOTR ballet. That sounds brilliant!

Phoenix
That would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool!

Ushgarak
He can certainly sing. I hope you all saw him in Oklahoma.

Captain REX
*plays scene of Boromir and Frodo singing together*

FRODO: The Ring is mine! It came to me! I shall destroy it!

BOROMIR: Oh no you won't! I want the Ring!

FRODO: You want the Ring?

BOROMIR: I want the Ring!

TOGETHER: We want the RING!

*end scene*

mah
haha, yeah something like that rexbig grin

maul's woman
Well guys the STAR TREK opera is NOT rumor. It was completed and ready to go. The Metropolitan Opera here in NYC were going to premier it in the mid 1980s but there was some kind of contractual problem and some other production glitch and it was shelved. DANG! But LOTR will have better luck. Plus it is going to premier in London in 2005.

Maybe with the success of teh LOTR musical, just maybe the STAR TREK opera will get some new life breathed into it and it will be performed.

Captain REX
Captain Kirk singing Opera with Spock as back up. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lee
How can I find out about the auditions?

Iirima
I don't know, my friends aren't too enthralled about it, but I've been previously obsessed with musicals, and I want to see it!

Edit: Do you want to know about the auditions, or do you want to audition?

pixie1
i dont ususally post here but....
a musical lotr soo cool i hope they have tom Bombadil in it his song are so cute

stedan82
No offense to anyone. but I don't think it is going to be very good. I might be suprised. I am definately going to go see it. THe reason I don't think it is going to be good is because...well.........I don't really know. Don;t hate me if I'm stupid

Iirima

stedan82
It would be a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iirima
What would be a blast?

Kitoky
*rolls on floor laughing* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Oh my gosh that's hilarious! *imagines*

Legolas: *skip* *grab arrow* *skip* *shoots arrows* *skip* *smashes into wandering Uruk* AW! MOMMY! I BROKE A NAIL! CUT! CURTAINS DOWN!
Frodo: *stares nervously at audiences* Hi, I am Frodo. I am the son of Drogo. Who is Drogo? He was my dad. Why do I say Was? Because My dad. That is Drogo. Drowned. And I went to live with Bilbo. You know Bilbo right?
Gandalf: *hangs onto curtains* YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!
Gimli: *whines* Why do I have to be Giiiiiiiiimli? *whines*
Sam: *stands next to nervous Frodo* I am his Gardner....Because I am...
Merry: * swings sword everywhere whacking Pippin* I am Merry and I will go on the mission too...to destroy the evil ring.
Pippin: *holds head* OW! Merry! *notices camera* OH! Hello. My name is Pippin and I really shouldn't be here *runs off stage*
Boromir: *walks around the stage smiling* I am *wink* sharpe. Do you think I'm *wink* sharpe? Of course I am *wink wink* sharpe.

Exa
laughing laughing laughing laughing

Ariadne
Something kind of related in a musical sense, did you know that the Beatles wanted to make a movie of LotR in the '60s? Paul was going to be Frodo, Ringo was going to be Sam, George was going to be Gandalf, and John was going to be Gollum. Tolkien still had the film rights and wouldn't let them though, which is probably a good thing. Just some random (and mostly useless) information. big grin

Kitoky
laughing Now that's a funny thought.

Ariadne
laughing Yeah, I keep getting this Yellow Submarine combined with the real LotR image, which is a little strange...definitely would have been an interesting movie though - can't deny that.

anaritearbina
The beatles doing LOTR? laughing laughing laughing Definatly a good thing Tolkien still had the film rights.

big gay kirk
Getting back to the Star Trek one, who remembers anything about William Shatner's failed attempt to make a rap musical version of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, using the Bard's words and big hip-hop stars???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.