Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Mace Windu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Sabers

2. Force

3. All-Out

Who takes this?

Deronn_solo
Windu brings the broom.

chingchangwalla
Windu in all three

MythLord
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
Windu in all three

Syndicate
Either way.
Windu.
Windu.

Rebel95
Kenobi wins sabers, Windu takes the rest

Deronn_solo
Since when is Kenobi a better, or equal, duelist with Mace Windu?

Feats, accolades, and narrative, makes it pretty clear Windu > Kenobi in sabers.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Deronn_solo

Feats, accolades, and narrative, makes it pretty clear Windu > Kenobi in sabers.

Obi-Wan is bar-none the greatest Soresu practitioner in History, imo.

It puts him right up there with Mace.

DarthAnt66

Jmanghan
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
. If thats a picture, I can't see it.

If its a dot then... Well, ok.

chingchangwalla
Yeah well Mace invented Gaypad. That counts for something

Jmanghan
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
Yeah well Mace invented Gaypad. That counts for something Of course it does.

...But not against Kenobi.

DarthAnt66
So much cancer.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Obi-Wan is bar-none the greatest Soresu practitioner in History, imo.

It puts him right up there with Mace.

Using this logic; shouldn't Kenobi be just as good as Sidious and Yoda too? Why just stop at at Mace? If being the supposed "G.O.A.T." of a style that not many great duelist exclusively specialize in, ranks you that high 'cause reasons, the sky's the limit!

Let's look at some facts:
- Mace has, on numerous occasions, been placed on near equal footing with Yoda as a duelist.
- Nick Gillard, stunt director for Lucasfilm, placed Mace Windu's lightsaber adroitness at tier 9 --- along with familiar faces: Sidious, Yoda, and Anakin. Obi-Wan however, was placed a full tier below that, at 8.

Once the above is added to the fact that Mace's lightsaber feats are simply just better, I don't see how one can claim Obi-Wan is winning, or splitting a duel with Windu.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
So much cancer.

You think Vaapad is valid against Kenobi?

Someone who isn't of the Dark Side?

Thats literally Vaapad's function.

Jmanghan
Using this logic; shouldn't Kenobi be just as good as Sidious and Yoda too? Why just stop at at Mace? If being the supposed "G.O.A.T." of a style that not many great duelist exclusively specialize in, ranks you that high 'cause reasons, the sky's the limit!

Let's look at some facts:
- Mace has, on numerous occasions, been placed on near equal footing with Yoda as a duelist.
- Nick Gillard, stunt director for Lucasfilm, placed Mace Windu's lightsaber adroitness at tier 9 --- along with familiar faces: Sidious, Yoda, and Anakin. Obi-Wan however, was placed a full tier below that at an 8.

Add that to the fact that, Mace's lightsaber feats are simply just better, then I don't see how one can see Obi-Wan winning any majority. Thats true, but you forget most of his showings are using Vaapad in some form against other Force Users, because those other Force Users are usually practitioners of the Dark Side.

I think the only time we see him fight a light sider is in a sparring match with Saesee Tiin, with neither surpassing the other. Not to see that Mace is below Tiin, of course not , but if thats his only showing against a light sider, when what he's known for is using Vaapad against Dark Siders, well...

relentless1
Vaapaad won't work on Kenobi; Soresu would easily counter Maces hard style, id give a saber only fight to Obi Wan, ...all out and Force Mace takes it

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Jmanghan
You think Vaapad is valid against Kenobi?

Someone who isn't of the Dark Side?

Thats literally Vaapad's function.

NO. IT'S NOT, MATE.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
NO. IT'S NOT, MATE.

"Allowing the users to channel their inner darkness, and feed off the fury of their opponent."

Since Jedi rarely fight off anger, which translates to fury/being furious, its nearly useless against them.

Unless Windu gets Kenobi pissed off with something (should probably bring up Qui-Gon), then Kenobi is going to give Windu a really hard time.

SunRazer
I haven't bothered to verify wherever that quote came from, but I sincerely hope it's not a quote from the wiki.

relentless1
the Vaapaad being able to feed off of darksiders is the whole lynchpin of the pro Mace wankers saying that he beat Sidious fair and square...The form only amps Mace when he's got dark side to feed off of; its useless against Obi Wan

cs_zoltan
Kek, Vaapad is not useless against lightsiders. The superconducting loop aside it's still an improved version of Juyo.

On Topic: While Mace is indeed better than Kenobi, that doesn't mean he is guaranteed to win in sabers only. I think Mace's Vaapad is a favourable matchup to Kenobi's skillset.

Beniboybling
Mace is also still able to channel his inner darkness...

The Ellimist
Mace stomps tbh.

quanchi112
Windu.

Rebel95

Yeah, Mace is a better duelist. But in this scenario, Mace's vaapad wouldn't give him an amp like it did against Sidious, and Kenobi's mastery of soresu would counter Windu's aggressive fighting style. Obviously Windu takes force and all out though.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Windu brings the broom.

Syndicate

Based off their relative performances against Grievous.

Kurk
Mace's age catches up with him in sabers. He makes a sloppy mistake and Kenobi goes for the kill.

Deronn_solo
Such cancer from the Kenobi camp.

Kurk
Mace is an old ass man who relies on a form with very wide arcs and power attacks. Kenobi can hold-off Mace long enough like he did against Anakin until the older man gets tired and begins to overextend, slip, get sloppy, whatever etc. Both have flawless form so it comes down to form vs form. Vaapad is meant for use against dark siders; obviously this doesn't apply to Kenobi; otherwise it's just plain Juyo which Kenobi's Soresu is optimized for.

Deronn_solo

Kurk

no rebuttal?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Syndicate

Deronn_solo
Oh, I plan to tackle all your arguments tomorrow. Too sleepy to post any more than 2-3 sentences right now. So, I I'm only gonna troll and talk shit right now. smile

NewGuy01
People trapped in 2012, seriously. Maybe the calendar really did end there for some people?

MythLord
Are people still taking the Mace VS Grievous duel seriously? LOL, it was a very small sequence of moves(even the RotS novel notes that) and Grievous was overpowering Kenobi in slightly more time than that, so the comparison is extremely flawed.

quanchi112
Windu may yet live. If Disney does decide to bring him back I am going to use this to stab at the weak heart of the Palpatine camp.

Syndicate
Originally posted by MythLord
Are people still taking the Mace VS Grievous duel seriously? LOL, it was a very small sequence of moves(even the RotS novel notes that) and Grievous was overpowering Kenobi in slightly more time than that, so the comparison is extremely flawed.

It calls the fight between the two an exchange in the RotS novel. Not a small sequence of moves.

MythLord
A single exchange, i.e. a small sequence of moves... that lasts about as long as it takes a hypersonic Jedi to leap around two MagnaGuards, so evidently a couple of seconds at best.

Syndicate
Nowhere does it say a small sequence of moves. That's your own nomenclature. The novel notes that Mace and Grievous had an exchange that lasted an indeterminate period, one we know lasted as long as it took Fisto and his magna guard opponents to fight their way across one end of the maglev to the other.

And no it wasn't a leap. Fisto started off at the end of the maglev Grievous and the magnaguards disembarked off of and then the fight progressed to the other end. Hardly a simple leap.

Ziggystardust
hypersonic Jedi

I know you dig the exaggerations Myth, but serial bro, where do you pull these labels from?

Petrus
Originally posted by Rebel95
Yeah, Mace is a better duelist. But in this scenario, Mace's vaapad wouldn't give him an amp like it did against Sidious, and Kenobi's mastery of soresu would counter Windu's aggressive fighting style. Obviously Windu takes force and all out though.

Aside from Vaapad being a much improved version of Juyo and something Kenobi never faced before, it also helps Mace channel his inner darkness and unleash it against Kenobi. As opposed to what some here think, Vaapad does not work its magic against dark siders only. He also has Shatterpoint, btw. Mace's skill set is way more impressive than Kenobi's.

Either way, Mace has better feats, better accolades and is simply described as an overall better duelist than Kenobi. You seriously see Yoda telling Mace 'to fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough you are not'?

It's honestly very clear-cut that Mace and Yoda are the top dogs of the PT and a whole tier above anyone else.

MythLord
Originally posted by Ziggystardust
I know you dig the exaggerations Myth, but serial bro, where do you pull these labels from?

Hey, if I digged the exaggerations I'd say Mace Windu moves in nanoseconds, lol. Anyways, primitive weapons in Star Wars like slugthrowers are noted as being hypersonic, a blaster and a slugthrower fired in damn-near immediately the same time moved in similar speeds, Jedi deflect blaster bolts on a daily basis, etc. And before you say precog, an expert Jedi Killer like HK-47 has noted that anything improvised and random(like someone shooting randomly in the span of a second) is a perfect counter to precognition. Also Jango dodged the blasters with his back turned and Kenobi is at least fast as him by AotC, and Fisto is faster smokin'

Ziggystardust
Hey, if I digged the exaggerations I'd say Mace Windu moves in nanoseconds

I'm pretty sure you do that anyway.

But Precog is the correct answer. If you can dodge a bullet before it's even fired, because you can predict when it will be fired, that hardly counts as superior movement speed now, does it? If that were the case, there wouldn't be a long list of people who can challenge Jedi/Sith outside those ranks, and Grevious' 20 strikes per second wouldn't be such a major threat to the order.

I assume that's how he kills Jedi, as you already noted? roll eyes (sarcastic)

The most logical explanation is that Jango anticipated the blaster fire, and his opponents simply missed the target.

Syndicate
thumb up

quanchi112
Getting Ziggy with it.

MythLord
I'm pretty sure you do that anyway.

Nah. That'd make Mace 30xLight.

But Precog is the correct answer. If you can dodge a bullet before it's even fired, because you can predict when it will be fired, that hardly counts as superior movement speed now, does it? If that were the case, there wouldn't be a long list of people who can challenge Jedi/Sith outside those ranks, and Grevious' 20 strikes per second wouldn't be such a major threat to the order.

And precog fails against impuslive and random acts, like firing a laser at a person rapidly. Also, there's simply times where even precog can't help a Force sensitive deflect every single shot. Think Kenobi deflecting omnidirectional blaster fire. Each blaster bolt came immediately after another, so despite even precog, Obi would need to move his hands in similar speeds to deflect all of it. As per GG's 20-strikes-per-second, it was more than that IIRC and it was from Obi-Wan's point of view as to how fast Grievous was striking. I mean, a measly 20-strikes-per-second is peak human, and Pablo Higaldo and Leland Chee confirm all Jedi are superhuman+.

I assume that's how he kills Jedi, as you already noted? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I assume it is how he kills them, yes.

The most logical explanation is that Jango anticipated the blaster fire, and his opponents simply missed the target.

Actually, Jango didn't even see the shooters and his opponents would've hit their mark had he not ducked quickly. So yeah... Besides, marking top-tier Jedi as hypersonic is being awfly conservative when you have sources saying blaster bolts are lightspeed and Jedi move in nanoseconds rolling on floor laughing

Syndicate
Originally posted by quanchi112
Getting Ziggy with it.

big grin

Ziggystardust
Nah. That'd make Mace 30xLight.

Oh really, I suppose you weren't the one claiming Maul and Fisto were faster than light. That must have been someone else. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pre-cognition might have failed for the Jedi HK47 hunted, but Kenobi's defence was revered as the numero-uno of it's time. Something the impulsive and random swordplay of grievous couldn't penetrate. It's hardly fair to compare him with the Jedi remnants from the Mandalorian wars, I mean, did it ever occur to you that Kenobi might be better than them, or that tarring all Force-users with the same brush is a little silly? However, unless you can find me evidence of Kenobi 'outpacing' a blaster bolt - that is - running as fast as one from the same starting point, then theres is no reason to believe he can move at a similar speed. When it comes to deflecting multiple blasters, his pre-cog does't magically disappear. He can still predict what's going to come at him and in what direction, he simply has to match his assailants rate of fire. Which isn't the same as being 'hypersonic'.

Firstly, it certainly was 20 strikes per second, and that was when Grevious "ramped up" the efficiency. Secondly, the narrative focalisation isn't just limited to Kenobi in this scene, and it does extend to all thoughts and all knowledge of all characters in the story. In spite of this, there is no reason to doubt Kenobi's judgement, especially on the basis of cherry picking the feats you don't like, and keeping the ones you do.

Jango doesn't need to see the shooters to know they're there. He anticipated their arrival and made his escape, causing his assailants to miss target. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here? Although, I'm not surprised that you think the already misleading title of 'hypersonic Jedi' is conservative. Given your attempts to claim magnagaurd-killers are vastly faster than light, and your willingness to ignore almost every credible dictionary's definition of Nanosecond, and how it's used in literature.

quanchi112
Well he is the lord of myths.

MythLord
Oh really, I suppose you weren't the one claiming Maul and Fisto were faster than light. That must have been someone else. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That was during my mass trolling of forums, lol. Besides, I was doing it to get on DarkDefender's nerves.

Pre-cognition might have failed for the Jedi HK47 hunted, but Kenobi's defence was revered as the numero-uno of it's time. Something the impulsive and random swordplay of grievous couldn't penetrate. It's hardly fair to compare him with the Jedi remnants from the Mandalorian wars, I mean, did it ever occur to you that Kenobi might be better than them, or that tarring all Force-users with the same brush is a little silly? However, unless you can find me evidence of Kenobi 'outpacing' a blaster bolt - that is - running as fast as one from the same starting point, then theres is no reason to believe he can move at a similar speed. When it comes to deflecting multiple blasters, his pre-cog does't magically disappear. He can still predict what's going to come at him and in what direction, he simply has to match his assailants rate of fire. Which isn't the same as being 'hypersonic'.

Kenobi was being overwhelmed by Grievous' implusive and randomized attacks, though, and needed to shift his tactics to parrying his hand rather than his lightsabers for him to gain an advantage. So HK's statement is valid and I don't see why Kenobi, just because he has an incredible defense, would be an exception to the rule of "implusive and random counters precognition". And like I said: Kenobi was deflecting omnidirectional blaster fire, even accounting for precognition each shot would've been only miliseconds apart from the other, so Obi-Wan would've still needed to wave his hands fast enough to intercept all of them. And the speed needed to intercept all of them is, in fact, hypersonic.

Firstly, it certainly was 20 strikes per second, and that was when Grevious "ramped up" the efficiency. Secondly, the narrative focalisation isn't just limited to Kenobi in this scene, and it does extend to all thoughts and all knowledge of all characters in the story. In spite of this, there is no reason to doubt Kenobi's judgement, especially on the basis of cherry picking the feats you don't like, and keeping the ones you do.

Firstly, him "ramping up" the efficiency is Stover's fancy way of saying: his attacks got faster. Secondly, the narrative during that specific scene was clearly from Kenobi's point of view as it's describing how he simply is who he is and how his internal thought process of using his defense for an offense.

Jango doesn't need to see the shooters to know they're there. He anticipated their arrival and made his escape, causing his assailants to miss target. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here? Although, I'm not surprised that you think the already misleading title of 'hypersonic Jedi' is conservative. Given your attempts to claim magnagaurd-killers are vastly faster than light, and your willingness to ignore almost every credible dictionary's definition of Nanosecond, and how it's used in literature.

Jango didn't anticipate anyone, nor did he even see the shooters coming. Someone fired at him from behind, he ducked quickly enough to dodge the moment the shot was fired.

As for the MagnaGuard thing; again, that was during a mass-troll fest of mine particulary to tick off certain users, so you can quit attempting to ad hominem my old troll statements in order to try and de-face my current argument.

And the definition of nanosecond is: "A measure of time equal to one billionth of a second", so I don't know what you're getting at with me disregarding the definition of a word.

And yeah, suggesting Kenobi's reflexes are hypersonic really is conservative given how the RotS novel states he and Anakin both have a "respectable fraction of lightspeed" and shows them outmanuvering Tri-fighters opperating at lightspeed. Heck, even Leia and Luke, prior to any true formal Jedi training(Leia didn't even know she was Force-sensitive) have reacted to and flown their ships at comparable-to-lightspeed.

Deronn_solo
Why people bother debating Ziggy is beyond me.

MythLord
Better than debating Syndicate, that's for sure.

Deronn_solo
Nah, DD is retarded --- but Ziggy is both creepy and retarded.

That being said, I don't Syndi either besides trolling the shit out of him.

MythLord
Nah, DD is retarded --- but Ziggy is both creepy and retarded.

Not really creepy/retarded so much as pretentious, tedious, and odd.

That being said, I don't Syndi either besides trolling the shit out of him.

Same. Usually when you try and debate him seriously, it turns into some sh!t-fest of unorganised posts and quotes.

Ziggystardust
Not really creepy/retarded so much as pretentious, tedious, and odd.

You'll have to excuse DC one. He's still upset about the time I ****ed his little brother, DBoy. thumb up

Syndicate
Same. Usually when you try and debate him seriously, it turns into some sh!t-fest of unorganised posts and quotes.

You know what's wrong with this post. As I told you a large section ( around 10,000 words ) of my post got deleted when it was all in a nice little bundle. You saw fit to take advantage of only the quotes being posted so I had to post as I went through your argument to prevent you from trolling the hell out of me even more then you already did. If you really are having trouble responding because of the formatting I can repost everything in two parts. I honestly would love it if I could do that now as I hate how messy and disorganized it is current but unfortunately the KMC system is utterly broken and doesn't allow you to edit your posts after 15 minutes.

MythLord
You'll have to excuse DC one. He's still upset about the time I ****ed his little brother, DBoy. thumb up

That's not just creepy, it's disturbing.

MythLord
Originally posted by Syndicate
You know what's wrong with this post. As I told you a large section ( around 10,000 words ) of my post got deleted when it was all in a nice little bundle. You saw fit to take advantage of only the quotes being posted so I had to post as I went through your argument to prevent you from trolling the hell out of me even more then you already did. If you really are having trouble responding because of the formatting I can repost everything in two parts. I honestly would love it if I could do that now as I hate how messy and disorganized it is current but unfortunately the KMC system is utterly broken and doesn't allow you to edit your posts after 15 minutes.

Not referring to just our Shaak VS Felucia Galen debate... most debates you're in, the posts you make are unorganised. I think it'll make your argument much more convincing if you can read it coherently.

Deronn_solo

If my brother wants to smash you, that's his prerogative. I really don't care, KEK.

My qualm with you stems from the fact, that you post like a mentally retarded monkey on crack --- who also happens to sport half a brain with 99% of it's brain cells dead.

I still love ya, tho my sweetheart. <3

Ziggystardust
If my brother wants to smash you, that's his prerogative. I really don't care, KEK.

My qualm with you stems from the fact, that you post like a mentally retarded monkey on crack --- who also happens to sport half a brain with 99% of it's brain cells dead.

So better than everyone on KMC then thumb up

Syndicate
Not referring to just our Shaak VS Felucia Galen debate... most debates you're in, the posts you make are unorganised. I think it'll make your argument much more convincing if you can read it coherently.

I quoted you this time if that's what you're referring to.

Jmanghan
Bump

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.