Old Master Maul vs. ROTJ Luke Skywalker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Round 1: Sabers only

ROUND 2: Force

Round 3: All out

Duel takes place on neutral ground

The Ellimist
Luke wins sabers. He's a legitimate match for Vader as a duelist.

Kurk
I need to see more of Maul to make a solid decision. His performance against the Inquisitors was underwhelming. SoD Maul could beat Luke IMO. As of now I'm leaning Luke.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Kurk
I need to see more of Maul to make a solid decision. His performance against the Inquisitors was underwhelming. Raping them on literally every level is underwhelming? erm

Syndicate
Raping them? He dueled with them but it's not like he ever had the advantage. In fact they were were rallying and the SS had him in a saber lock while the other two were coming around to flank him before the Jedi intervened if I remember correctly.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Syndicate
Raping them? He dueled with them but it's not like he ever had the advantage. In fact they were were rallying and the SS had him in a saber lock while the other two were coming around to flank him before the Jedi intervened if I remember correctly. How can you watch that fight and honestly tell me he wasn't kicking their asses?

The Ellimist
That was also probably the first time in like a decade Maul had ever dueled anyone.

That being said, he admits he can't take Vader by himself...but Luke apparently can.

Zenwolf
Dang...I just thought how great it would be, if the GI had been around for the Finale to really show what he could do. Cause let's face it, the GI was a hell of a lot better of a character than any of the other 3.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Dang...I just thought how great it would be, if the GI had been around for the Finale to really show what he could do. Cause let's face it, the GI was a hell of a lot better of a character than any of the other 3. Seventh Sister had the potential to be better, IMO, but oh well.

Syndicate
Originally posted by |King Joker|
How can you watch that fight and honestly tell me he wasn't kicking their asses?

Because the start of the fight is him swinging his saber in an arc to gain space before landing a kick on the FB and the EB as he fends off their strikes before the other Jedi saber lock 2 of the Inquisitors a few seconds later?

*Shrug*

|King Joker|
Because the start of the fight is him swinging his saber in an arc to gain space before landing a kick on the FB and the EB as he fends off their strikes That darn Maul, fighting intelligently and kicking the shit out of his opponents. sad Originally posted by Syndicate
before the other Jedi saber lock 2 of the Inquisitors a few seconds later? Maul had no reason to attempt to avoid the other Inquisitors circling him if Kanan and Ahsoka are running to engage them.

Syndicate
Obi Wan landed a kick on Anakin, Ventress landed a kick on both Obi Wan and Anakin, Grievous landed a kick on Maul on a Dark Side nexus. Does that mean they raped their opponents? I mean feel free to hold that interpretation, I don't mind.

Granted but that's dependent on Maul having expected them to come to his aid.

|King Joker|
Obi Wan landed a kick on Anakin, Ventress landed a kick on both Obi Wan and Anakin, Grievous landed a kick on Maul on a Dark Side nexus. Does that mean they raped their opponents? I mean feel free to hold that interpretation, I don't mind.

Granted but that's dependent on Maul having expected them to come to his aid. Maul engages the Seventh Sister first -- kicks her down literally in two seconds. She doesn't get up for another ten seconds.

Maul kicks the Eighth Brother away -- doesn't come back attacking for another 5 seconds.

Maul hits the Fifth Brother in the head with his cane and kicks him in the gut -- all within five seconds of their one-on-one.

Maul kicks the Eighth Brother again, and the Eighth Brother doesn't reengage for another 5-7 seconds.

This is all while Maul is easily avoiding them and dancing circles around them. He was embarrassing them.

And sure, but he visibly doesn't even make an attempt to cover his flank and doesn't seem worried. Kanan acts immediately after the Fifth Brother does, so Maul should've known the Jedi were going to help.

Syndicate
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Maul engages the Seventh Sister first -- kicks her down literally in two seconds. She doesn't get up for another ten seconds.

Maul kicks the Eighth Brother away -- doesn't come back attacking for another 5 seconds.

Maul hits the Fifth Brother in the head with his cane and kicks him in the gut -- all within five seconds of their one-on-one.

Maul kicks the Eighth Brother again, and the Eighth Brother doesn't reengage for another 5-7 seconds.

This is all while Maul is easily avoiding them and dancing circles around them. He was embarrassing them.

And sure, but he visibly doesn't even make an attempt to cover his flank and doesn't seem worried. Kanan acts immediately after the Fifth Brother does, so Maul should've known the Jedi were going to help.

Granted the kick knocks SS down for a good length of time.

Where is this kick to the EB you're talking about?

LOL. The kick literally doesn't even move FB. He actually legitimately stands in place for the rest of the fight till he engages in a saber lock with Kanan. Don't know if that was an animation error or just FB being retarded.

He's probably standing in place for the same retarded logic FB is. The only reason I can honestly think of for why they're just standing their for full seconds is they're simply not skilled enough to aid their fellow Inquisitors without getting in each other's way similar to how Johun was more of a hindrance to Xaj then a help.

The only real offensive moves he makes against them are in the form of kicks. The rest are either defensive parries or broad slashes to keep them back.

Sure but if he thought he could've beaten the Inquisitors on his own why not press the offensive with the aid of the Jedi rather then just blade locking one of them?

Kurk
Oh my gosh the three-way blade lock looks gay af and I don't use gay to describe something lightly.

Syndicate
I'm going to be going off so if I don't respond to you it's not me ignoring you.

The Ellimist
It does.

Unbowed
I wouldn't necessarily take most of what Maul did in that episode at face value, including the "I can't take Vader alone" line.

We need to understand that Maul is dissembling throughout the whole episode. His goals are to make use of the holocron firstly and recruit Ezra secondly. To that end he needs to pull the wool over the crew's eyes and make them trust him, so he'll say and do whatever he needs to.

For instance I don't believe for a second Maul couldn't have made the jump to the holocron by himself, or that the slabs of rock were as difficult to lift as he made it seem. But he needed to make Ezra trust him somehow, and what better way than to overcome struggles together?

Same deal with the sabre lock. I believe Maul is to the Inquisitors what Sidious was to Maul and Savage in TCW. They can hang with him for a while but once he gets serious he'll pick them apart one by one.

If he couldn't he wouldn't have rushed them as he did. He purposely allowed Kanaan and Ashoka to intervene to give them a "brothers in arms" experience and lull them to sleep.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by The Ellimist
That was also probably the first time in like a decade Maul had ever dueled anyone.

That being said, he admits he can't take Vader by himself...but Luke apparently can.

All we know is Luke is capable of defeating Vader in a "Sabers only" match up.

When Maul said he can't defeat Vader alone he was likely referring to an all out fight.

Although I personally think Vader would take Maul in Sabers as well, and think it's kind of silly for Luke to beat Vader in anything by ROTJ.

chingchangwalla
Beating Vader (However shit he looked) is more impressive than beating inquisitors. That being said, Maul appears to be more skilled

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Unbowed
I wouldn't necessarily take most of what Maul did in that episode at face value, including the "I can't take Vader alone" line.

We need to understand that Maul is dissembling throughout the whole episode. His goals are to make use of the holocron firstly and recruit Ezra secondly. To that end he needs to pull the wool over the crew's eyes and make them trust him, so he'll say and do whatever he needs to.

For instance I don't believe for a second Maul couldn't have made the jump to the holocron by himself, or that the slabs of rock were as difficult to lift as he made it seem. But he needed to make Ezra trust him somehow, and what better way than to overcome struggles together?

Same deal with the sabre lock. I believe Maul is to the Inquisitors what Sidious was to Maul and Savage in TCW. They can hang with him for a while but once he gets serious he'll pick them apart one by one.

If he couldn't he wouldn't have rushed them as he did. He purposely allowed Kanaan and Ashoka to intervene to give them a "brothers in arms" experience and lull them to sleep.

mmm Interesting.

Darth Thor
Maul was being truthful about not being capable of taking Vader alone.

Emperordmb
Yeah between Vader performing better against Ahsoka in sabers and Vader outstripping Maul in TK I don't know what argument there is to be made for Maul.

Syndicate
Damn. Surprising coming from you dmb.

chingchangwalla
It's not like Ashoka could beat Vader alone either. She was constantly on the Backfoot and struggling like all hell. Vader looked sloppy as shit too :/

Emperordmb
Damn. Surprising coming from you dmb.
I meant I don't see much of an argument for Maul not losing to Vader, not Maul beating Luke LMFAO

quanchi112

That being said, he admits he can't take Vader by himself...but Luke apparently can. Abc logic and an opinion isn't a fact.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah between Vader performing better against Ahsoka in sabers and Vader outstripping Maul in TK I don't know what argument there is to be made for Maul.

Oh yeah I didn't even think about how Vader performed Vastly better against Ahsoka.

Also Vader could never lose to Kanan. Blind, In the Zone or Regular Kanan.

So yeah, there's no argument left for Maul.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Oh yeah I didn't even think about how Vader performed Vastly better against Ahsoka.

Also Vader could never lose to Kanan. Blind, In the Zone or Regular Kanan.

So yeah, there's no argument left for Maul. Quit being ridiculous, Dt.

Unbowed
Maul was being truthful about not being capable of taking Vader alone.
Was he? I don't think so.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Maul can beat Vader(both are yet to show their full strength in Rebels), but he's never one to write a fight off before it even started. He didn't fear Dooku or Grievous, he took on Mace Windu and Aayla Secura at the same time, he even stood up to Sidious.
It's not in Maul's personality to think himself inferior to anyone except Sidious.

And here's another point to consider: after Maul saves Ezra and kills the 7th senses something in the Force, presumably Vader. But he still blindsides Kanaan and attacks Ashoka.

If Maul feared Vader, why not simply wait and gang up on him with Kanaan and Ashoka?

Unbowed
Also I don't see how you can say that Vader performed better against Ashoka than Maul. She traded blows with Maul for literally 3 or 4 seconds before she ran away. She could have done the same against Vader if running away was her intention.

If anything, at the very beginning Ashokra was more aggressive and pressed Vader more than she did Maul. She even Force pushed him.

|King Joker|
No, Ahsoka and Maul fought for an extended period of time for over a minute and neither had an edge -- their duel was far longer than 3-4 seconds. Vader, bar Ahsoka's initial offensive, was the one driving the duel forward pretty consistently and almost always held the edge from what we saw (again, bar Ahsoka's initial offensive). Vader's performance > Maul's, and Ahsoka only retreated against Maul because she went to fetch Ezra and left Kanan to deal with Maul, not because Maul was overpowering her.

AncientPower
Assuming Vader is right, Luke was possibly stronger than Anakin had been.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Unbowed
Was he? I don't think so.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Maul can beat Vader(both are yet to show their full strength in Rebels), but he's never one to write a fight off before it even started. He didn't fear Dooku or Grievous, he took on Mace Windu and Aayla Secura at the same time, he even stood up to Sidious.
It's not in Maul's personality to think himself inferior to anyone except Sidious.

And here's another point to consider: after Maul saves Ezra and kills the 7th senses something in the Force, presumably Vader. But he still blindsides Kanaan and attacks Ashoka.

If Maul feared Vader, why not simply wait and gang up on him with Kanaan and Ashoka?

Aside from the fact that FPJ and Sam Witwer already confirmed the line about Maul not being capable of defeating Vader was Intentional because Filoni is very protective of Vader (I.e. Filoni will always protect Vader's status as the top dog)..

1) Like you said, Maul always admitted his inferiority to Sidious. Vader is more on that level. Mauls not stupid and wouldn't have survived this long if he didn't acknowledge when he was outmatched.

2) Mauls plan was to use the Temple's Weapon of Mass Destruction against the Sith.

Joker's already addressed how much better Vader did against Ahsoka. Vader and Maul's individual performances were not even close.

Not to mention Maul's embarrassing loss to Kanan (I realise it was a One-Off In The Zone moment, but it could never happen to Vader, whose just in another league).

chingchangwalla
Give Maul time throughout the series to get his dueling back up to scratch and he'll exceed Ashoka.

quanchi112
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
It's not like Ashoka could beat Vader alone either. She was constantly on the Backfoot and struggling like all hell. Vader looked sloppy as shit too :/ Vader has usually looked sloppy. He's overrated as all hell.

McP

This shouldn't be an argument. Vader probably knew Ahsoka fighting style much better then Maul. He also changed his fighting style after Mustafar, so it's was unknown for her.
"Running away again, Lady Tano - also suggest, that she met Maul between TCW and Rebels. Hard to tell how many times though. It only implys, that he could be better in the past. Also, the fact that he attacked her and Kanan also might suggest, that he was still consider himself as superior by some margin (worth of ntoing is that he was seeing her in action few moments before).

Jmanghan
Luke wins sabers. He's a legitimate match for Vader as a duelist.

A clone of Maul was able to bring Vader to his knees.

Vader only won because he stabbed HIMSELF and Maul with his lightsaber.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by McP
This shouldn't be an argument. Vader probably knew Ahsoka fighting style much better then Maul. He also changed his fighting style after Mustafar, so it's was unknown for her.
"Running away again, Lady Tano - also suggest, that she met Maul between TCW and Rebels. Hard to tell how many times though. It only implys, that he could be better in the past. Also, the fact that he attacked her and Kanan also might suggest, that he was still consider himself as superior by some margin (worth of ntoing is that he was seeing her in action few moments before).

It's been a long time since Vader taught Ahsoka. That shouldn't really be a factor anymore.

They met towards end of TCW in an undeveloped episode. We don't know exactly what happened except they met, and would have no bearing on the abilities of Rebels Ahsoka anyway.

Maul cheap shotted Kanan for a reason.

Jmanghan
It's been a long time since Vader taught Ahsoka. That shouldn't really be a factor anymore.

They met towards end of TCW in an undeveloped episode. We don't know exactly what happened except they met, and would have no bearing on the abilities of Rebels Ahsoka anyway.

Maul cheap shotted Kanan for a reason. Maul has fought and contended with much more powerful duelists.

Blind Kanan didn't just suddenly get some gigantic AMP from being Blind, he won because he was near a cliff.

chingchangwalla
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Maul has fought and contended with much more powerful duelists.

Blind Kanan didn't just suddenly get some gigantic AMP from being Blind, he won because he was near a cliff.

Darth Thor
Maul has fought and contended with much more powerful duelists.

I didn't say Kanan was > Maul. That would be pretty silly.

I was arguing the notion that Maul wasn't afraid to challenge Ahsoka and Kanan together.

chingchangwalla
Wait for the Kanan wank to start again when they have Kanan > Maul. ****ing kill me

quanchi112
A clone of Maul was able to bring Vader to his knees.

Vader only won because he stabbed HIMSELF and Maul with his lightsaber. Careful now because Dt is a huge fanboy. His latest claim is that Vader is more powerful than Yoda or Skdious because he took out rebel ships in a rebel episode one time.

Syndicate
Kanan doesn't need wank. His feats speak for themselves.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.