IS Speed The ONLY Reason Superman Beats thor?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ghostman
on here and a lot of other fiction vs sites the general consensus seems to be that superman beats thor...............but only because of the massive speed advantage, without speed would superman still take a majority?

also if thor had supes/flash like speed would he beat superman for a majority?

CosmicComet
Superman is also stronger and more durable. He also has better damage soak overall because he has a very noticeable healing factor. He's also a lot smarter and uses versatility more than Thor.

Speed equalized though, Thor has the magic trump card that evens the field. And a few exotic options he might be able to pull out.

Without the speed advantage, its 50/50 for me.

-K-M-
Superman is still physically stronger. Keep in mind he didn't use his speed to beat Thor in JLA/Avengers

It's the exotic powers Thor has in his arsenal which are dangerous, but he rarely uses them

deathslash
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Superman is also stronger and more durable. He also has better damage soak overall because he has a very noticeable healing factor. He's also a lot smarter and uses versatility more than Thor.

Speed equalized though, Thor has the magic trump card that evens the field. And a few exotic options he might be able to pull out.

Without the speed advantage, its 50/50 for me. wait a minute. Strength, and durability, I could agree with (though durability is more debatable), but better damage soak? When has his damage soak ever been as good as Thor's?

CosmicComet
Superman has an overt, combat applicable healing factor. He's taken giant magical arrows to vital parts and has survived them.

Thor's healing is a lot less potent, though obviously he has something there.

h1a8
Originally posted by ghostman
on here and a lot of other fiction vs sites the general consensus seems to be that superman beats thor...............but only because of the massive speed advantage, without speed would superman still take a majority?

also if thor had supes/flash like speed would he beat superman for a majority? Thor would win easily. He has greater skill and his versatility would now be effective. Without speed then Thor would not have time to be versatile. The skill advantage would be the one that gives Thor the edge.

DarkSaint85
He also has abhi force.

ghostman

you have a superman bias, can someone obje........... you know what nevermind

ghostman
oh god, i see them online...

Digi
Because the fight would usually revert to a brawl, no, speed isn't the only reason. Strength edge is with Kal. Durability is less certain, but is fairly close.

Thor's advantages are largely in the realms of energy and magic, where Mjolnir gives him a trump card. While it makes him better in, say, many of the tournaments that we run, it doesn't help him much in this particular fight.

Sin I AM

Its a toss up. They are more or less equals and even with speed factored in it could go either way on any given day. Anyone who says otherwise is a biased fanboy.

...thread

TethAdamTheRock
Thor > Shazam or black adam

Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302803_6341884.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302804_9133463.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302805_9349670.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302806_1837737.jpg

http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302807_4843924.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302808_8339479.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302809_394532.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302810_8075617.jpg

h1a8
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Its a toss up. They are more or less equals and even with speed factored in it could go either way on any given day. Anyone who says otherwise is a biased fanboy.

...thread They are equals in terms of the type of threats they can stop. They are not equals when fighting each other. The speed advantage is the most hax advantage. It's EXACTLY like fighting someone who is almost frozen. Think about it? Without the speed advantage Thor has the edge. His skill, defense with Mjolnir, weakness magic having, and versatility outweighs Superman's strength and durability advantage.

In a comic, they writer most likely will have them fighting at the same speed, just like Superman would fight Hulk or ANYONE of popularity. But this is not what will happen in a forum fight. Superman will have speed ability and perception.

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by -K-M-
Superman is still physically stronger. Keep in mind he didn't use his speed to beat Thor in JLA/Avengers

It's the exotic powers Thor has in his arsenal which are dangerous, but he rarely uses them Thor > shazam black adam

Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302803_6341884.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302804_9133463.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302805_9349670.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302806_1837737.jpg

http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302807_4843924.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302808_8339479.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302809_394532.jpg http://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/28302810_8075617.jpg

TethAdamTheRock
We need a shazam movie

Sin I AM
Originally posted by h1a8
They are equals in terms of the type of threats they can stop. They are not equals when fighting each other. The speed advantage is the most hax advantage. It's EXACTLY like fighting someone who is almost frozen. Think about it? Without the speed advantage Thor has the edge. His skill, defense with Mjolnir, weakness magic having, and versatility outweighs Superman's strength and durability advantage.

In a comic, they writer most likely will have them fighting at the same speed, just like Superman would fight Hulk or ANYONE of popularity. But this is not what will happen in a forum fight. Superman will have speed ability and perception.

...thread

Facee
Originally posted by Digi
Because the fight would usually revert to a brawl, no, speed isn't the only reason. Strength edge is with Kal. Durability is less certain, but is fairly close.

Thor's advantages are largely in the realms of energy and magic, where Mjolnir gives him a trump card. While it makes him better in, say, many of the tournaments that we run, it doesn't help him much in this particular fight.

...thread

Well put.

h1a8
Originally posted by Facee
Well put. Actually it's not. I made it look not well put.

They are equals in terms of the type of threats they can stop. They are not equals when fighting each other. The speed advantage is the most hax advantage. It's EXACTLY like fighting someone who is almost frozen. Think about it? Without the speed advantage Thor has the edge. His skill, defense with Mjolnir, weakness magic having, and versatility outweighs Superman's strength and durability advantage.

riv6672

Thats about right, with the caveat that the smarter Superman, IF there is one, isnt the DCnu version.

beatboks

What ever the hell you're smoking you need to give up, it's seriously damaging your thought process.

No way in hell does Superman have greater damage soak than Thor. Thor took Silver Surfers best blasts whilst he had a hole in his chest from the f***ing world tree.

Lets get real.

In strength yes Superman had a slight edge. In piercing durability also (I would not say he has one in blunt force though).

Speed and the fact that in character Thor fighrs with honor and as such doesnt tend to go for the abilities of Mjilnor off the bat are what gives the fight to superman.

If IMHO Thor was bloodlusted and went straight to Miljnors nore isoteric abilities Supes speed would be meaningless.

leonidas
short answer--pretty much. at least for me. supes is def stronger and more durable, but thor has more to call upon. question is, would he? not likely imo. fighting in character, he'd brawl and lose more often than not. if he used his powers fully, i think he'd win more often than not. still close, but i think it depends mostly on how you view thor and how willing you think he'd be to use the full range of his powers. there have been many threads like this though, where their speeds have been equalized.

Facee
BRB has fought at light speeds no ? I'm not buying the argument Thor would be in slow motion because his history says otherwise.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by deathslash
wait a minute. Strength, and durability, I could agree with (though durability is more debatable), but better damage soak? When has his damage soak ever been as good as Thor's?

Says the man who just man a loaded pro Superman thread. Thor would murder Superman if blood lusted, so it's a moot point.

blair85
Superman doesn't usually speed-blitz the people he's fighting. Not saying he hasn't ever, but it's not something he normally does. He overpowers or outthinks enemies. That's what he relies on.

Were he to fight Thor, speed isn't going to be an issue. He can move faster than Thor, yes, but he can also move faster than all the other people he's fought without speed-blitzing them. It's not a skill he generally brings into play in a fight.

And Superman probably doesn't come out on top here anyway. He's allergic to magic hammers. They make him break out in...giant magic hammer bruises.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by blair85
Superman doesn't usually speed-blitz the people he's fighting. Not saying he hasn't ever, but it's not something he normally does. He overpowers or outthinks enemies. That's what he relies on.

Were he to fight Thor, speed isn't going to be an issue. He can move faster than Thor, yes, but he can also move faster than all the other people he's fought without speed-blitzing them. It's not a skill he generally brings into play in a fight.

And Superman probably doesn't come out on top here anyway. He's allergic to magic hammers. They make him break out in...giant magic hammer bruises.

There is absolutely no reason outside of his real world popularity why Superman shouldn't lose to Thor. Thor's magical EP is as strong as it gets on comics and Superman supposedly has no defense to it. A speed advantage would nearly be enough to overcome this, nor is Thor ever lost to a peer because of speed.

golem370
If it is true as well Thor strength disadvantage gap could close them further he lose himself in a brawl. This is like my question does Superman flying add to his strength to make him appear stronger?

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by golem370
If it is true as well Thor strength disadvantage gap could close them further he lose himself in a brawl. This is like my question does Superman flying add to his strength to make him appear stronger?

There is no discernable strength gap. Thor has off the meter strength feats as well but Marvel doesn't wank him. Different character depictions from different comic book universes. Superman is faster and has hard durability, those are his edges. Thor's is massive magical EP and melee weapon capable of both blocking and absorbing Superman's eye beams.

abhilegend
Originally posted by beatboks
What ever the hell you're smoking you need to give up, it's seriously damaging your thought process.

No way in hell does Superman have greater damage soak than Thor. Thor took Silver Surfers best blasts whilst he had a hole in his chest from the f***ing world tree.

Is that supposed to be impressive?

Superman got his heart split in half and just got better.

He had flat out run through the blasts of Green Lanterns who shit on Surfer in energy blasts department.

I'm not sure what comic you've read but to think Superman has only a slight edge in strength or has no edge in Blunt force. Thor himself has stated that he is not invulnerable, just really durable.

Superman doesn't needs speed to beat Thor. But if he actually used it, it would be over before Thor can even process a thought.

abhilegend

...thread
crylaugh

People still think they are equals? After all this time?

LMAO.

CosmicComet

Lets get real.

In strength yes Superman had a slight edge. In piercing durability also (I would not say he has one in blunt force though).

Speed and the fact that in character Thor fighrs with honor and as such doesnt tend to go for the abilities of Mjilnor off the bat are what gives the fight to superman.

If IMHO Thor was bloodlusted and went straight to Miljnors nore isoteric abilities Supes speed would be meaningless.

Firstly, Thor's wound was magical in nature. There wasn't a 'hole' in him. It was not physically hindering him as though his organs were ruptured or if there was a pound of flesh missing, because there wasn't. It was a mystical injury that just provided him with constant pain. Nothing more.

Yes, Superman has the superior damage soak without a doubt.

Not only is his skin tougher than Thor's, he has an actual combat ready healing factor. Thor does not, though he does heal more thoroughly than any mortal, its not particularly fast acting to be helpful in a fight.

Again, Superman took magical large spear sized arrows to the chest and he was still able to walk off. That hit vitals.

Durability and Healing Factor are the two exact things that make up damage soak. And Superman is superior in both.

There is no such thing as 'blunt' vs 'piercing' anyway. It's just pressure.

Oh and by the way, and the word you are looking for is *esoteric*.

psycho gundam
I hear the *whirring* of a SATA drive connecting from here

Scan dump imminent

abhilegend
laughing out loud

ghostman
Originally posted by psycho gundam
I hear the *whirring* of a SATA drive connecting from here

Scan dump imminent

cant wait, i love scan dumps!

riv6672

Lets get real.

Most of this is also right.
Superman's ability to tank damage is what puts him above other characters at DC who may equal/surpass him in other areas.
Superman's the top guy at DC, everyone else lines up behind him.
At Marvel it isnt as clear cut, as many of their most powerful characters stand shoulder.
Its just the way the realities are geared.

celeyhyga17
Firstly, Thor's wound was magical in nature. There wasn't a 'hole' in him. It was not physically hindering him as though his organs were ruptured or if there was a pound of flesh missing, because there wasn't. It was a mystical injury that just provided him with constant pain. Nothing more.

Yes, Superman has the superior damage soak without a doubt.

Not only is his skin tougher than Thor's, he has an actual combat ready healing factor. Thor does not, though he does heal more thoroughly than any mortal, its not particularly fast acting to be helpful in a fight.

Again, Superman took magical large spear sized arrows to the chest and he was still able to walk off. That hit vitals.

Durability and Healing Factor are the two exact things that make up damage soak. And Superman is superior in both.

There is no such thing as 'blunt' vs 'piercing' anyway. It's just pressure.

Oh and by the way, and the word you are looking for is *esoteric*.
facepalm

abhilegend
laughing out loud

Jmanghan
Thor regularly gets the shit kicked out of him by Hulk, who isnt on Superman's level in the strength department.

nwg202
Yes

golem370
Superman's most powerful power is his strength where as Thor most powerful power really comes in the form of his hammer if it weren't for his hammer he wouldn't have ever made it into Exitar's helmet or blocked Juggernaut's magic.

Pillow Biter
Is this 1999? Hasn't anyone learned anything about comics? Super speed is a seriously problematic power that rarely gets used reliably by bricks with other powers.
Basically, Superman's speed is unlikely to be a factor in a fight with Thor. And when it is, the writer in question is unlikely to have it be a major factor--maybe there's be just a panel displaying a cool-looking speed blitz that can't be responded to. After that, Superman and Thor will go back to trading big hits at normal speed.
Pick Thor or Superman, but don't imagine that speed matters much in deciding the outcome.

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Thor regularly gets the shit kicked out of him by Hulk, who isnt on Superman's level in the strength department.
Yeah, Hulk is above Superman in strength.

But i digress,

This isnt about Hulk.

h1a8
Originally posted by Facee
BRB has fought at light speeds no ? I'm not buying the argument Thor would be in slow motion because his history says otherwise.

BRB never fought at light speed (not even close)
Thor is not Brb

h1a8
Originally posted by riv6672

But i digress,

This isnt about Hulk. WBH yes, other Hulk no. Superman is significantly above most Hulks in the strength department.

Originally posted by blair85

And Superman probably doesn't come out on top here anyway. He's allergic to magic hammers. They make him break out in...giant magic hammer bruises. Superman doesn't have to speed blitz. But he will operate at superspeed. He will perceive in super speed.
This power is ALWAYS ON. Writer's ignore these powers for the sake of the plot. You wrongly assume that Superman purposely don't use them sometimes.

krisblaze

All of his stats are the reason why he edges out a majority against Thor.

riv6672
Superman doesn't have to speed blitz. But he will operate at superspeed. He will perceive in super speed.
This power is ALWAYS ON. Writer's ignore these powers for the sake of the plot. You wrongly assume that Superman purposely don't use them sometimes.
Same apies to Thor.
His hammer has a bajillion different offensive/defensive/BFR capabilities. Those capabilities are ALWAYS THERE. Writers ignore these capabilities for the sake of the plot.

If we (not you and i specifically, a general we) are going to ignore how Superman actually fights and debate him the way we'd like because of what he can potentially do, then we need to treat Thor the same.
In which case, he'd win a majority over Superman in forum fights.

Blue Area Vet
Most of this is also right.
Superman's ability to tank damage is what puts him above other characters at DC who may equal/surpass him in other areas.
Superman's the top guy at DC, everyone else lines up behind him.
At Marvel it isnt as clear cut, as many of their most powerful characters stand shoulder.
Its just the way the realities are geared.

This^

Might need to repeat this about 700 times or so.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
facepalm

I know, right? This one was so baffling I couldn't decide how to respond.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by golem370
Superman's most powerful power is his strength where as Thor most powerful power really comes in the form of his hammer if it weren't for his hammer he wouldn't have ever made it into Exitar's helmet or blocked Juggernaut's magic. And yet Hulk is still able to beat him on a consistent basis, more then Thor is able to beat him.

In fact, there are points where Hulk almost kills Thor.

Superman would Tear Hulk's arms off and beat him with it.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
Is this 1999? Hasn't anyone learned anything about comics? Super speed is a seriously problematic power that rarely gets used reliably by bricks with other powers.
Basically, Superman's speed is unlikely to be a factor in a fight with Thor. And when it is, the writer in question is unlikely to have it be a major factor--maybe there's be just a panel displaying a cool-looking speed blitz that can't be responded to. After that, Superman and Thor will go back to trading big hits at normal speed.
Pick Thor or Superman, but don't imagine that speed matters much in deciding the outcome.

Some people are determined it's all about speed, speed being the deciding factor. it is A factor, not a deciding factor.

Blue Area Vet
And yet Hulk is still able to beat him on a consistent basis, more then Thor is able to beat him.

In fact, there are points where Hulk almost kills Thor.

Superman would Tear Hulk's arms off and beat him with it.

See a specialist.

Jmanghan

But i digress,

This isnt about Hulk. Hulk isnt even close to being close to being close to Superman in strength, even the non-canon crossover proves this when Hulk can't even hurt him.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
See a specialist. Go read John Civino's Hero Envy Blog to get your mind blown at how many times Thor has lost to Hulk.

Jmanghan
Go read John Civino's Hero Envy Blog to get your mind blown at how many times Thor has lost to Hulk. And the lack of times Thor has beaten Hulk, it lists almost every time they fought.

Blue Area Vet
Go read John Civino's Hero Envy Blog to get your mind blown at how many times Thor has lost to Hulk.

It's not nearly how you are making it to be, AND, Thor holds back with Hulk. He fights him with fisticuffs and his hardly as angry at Hulk Hulk is with Thor.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by abhilegend
crylaugh

People still think they are equals? After all this time?

LMAO.

Its a toss up. They are more or less equals and even with speed factored in it could go either way on any given day. Anyone who says otherwise is a BIASED FANBOY.

...thread

Cogito
You could debate durability all day, but Superman has objectively better strength feats. That's not fanboyism, that's measurable.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Objective_vs_Subjective

riv6672
This^

Might need to repeat this about 700 times or so.
Well, i DO have the post count for it...wink

Hulk isnt even close to being close to being close to Superman in strength, even the non-canon crossover proves this when Hulk can't even hurt him.
I believe in Bigfoot.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Cogito
You could debate durability all day, but Superman has objectively better strength feats. That's not fanboyism, that's measurable.

Its splitting hairs. What Superman has is speed/durability/whatever...Thor makes up energy projection/esoteric abilities/whatever. It's an exercise is semantics in a loaded thread. They are roughly equals ALL things considered.

riv6672
Who the heck considers all things?
I personally like to consider only whats beneficial to my argument. wink laughing

Blue Area Vet

No it actually isn't measurable. They never had a cannon crossover that involved a contest of strength and one of them emerged victorious. And even if one did, it wouldn't be by a wide gap. One boxer doesn't beat another in the same weight class solely because they bench press more.

Sin I AM
Who the heck considers all things?
I personally like to consider only whats beneficial to my argument. wink laughing

Exactly. Anyone who chooses is biased period. If you looked at it truly objectively youd come to to the conclusion they r equals with unique differences.

Cogito
Its splitting hairs. What Superman has is speed/durability/whatever...Thor makes up energy projection/esoteric abilities/whatever. It's an exercise is semantics in a loaded thread. They are roughly equals ALL things considered.

I would agree with this if Thor were one to intelligently use his powers. But, don't forget Superman has many underrated abilities as well.

carver9
Hulk isnt even close to being close to being close to Superman in strength, even the non-canon crossover proves this when Hulk can't even hurt him.

SMDH.

riv6672
But, don't forget Superman has many underrated abilities as well.
NO ability Superman has is underrated on this site. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-msn-messenger-smiley-emoticon.gif

StiltmanFTW
NO ability Superman has is underrated on this site. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-msn-messenger-smiley-emoticon.gif

Even his senses get wanked.

Wanted some on-panel proof that Superdouche had a better sense of taste than Daredevil, got: "he'z supermen his senzez are super his comixz are super he'z more super than devildare".

Blue Area Vet
I would agree with this if Thor were one to intelligently use his powers. But, don't forget Superman has many underrated abilities as well.

You mean the powers that he stupidly forgets/ignores? If cold breath is so uber, then why does he almost never use it? How about the various things he can do with vibrations? Either they aren't that effect or he's too dumb to use them so why argue along those lines?

h1a8
Same apies to Thor.
His hammer has a bajillion different offensive/defensive/BFR capabilities. Those capabilities are ALWAYS THERE. Writers ignore these capabilities for the sake of the plot.

If we (not you and i specifically, a general we) are going to ignore how Superman actually fights and debate him the way we'd like because of what he can potentially do, then we need to treat Thor the same.
In which case, he'd win a majority over Superman in forum fights. No, we have to use instances that were shown before. We can't make up stuff. Superman has used his speed and saw things in super slow motion a lot of times. His perception is always on as proven per scans.

The problem is Thor's versatility is destroyed when speed is an issue. Thor wouldn't get the chance to use his estoric abilities against someone who sees him almost frozen. With speed equalized then Thor owns Superman due to his versatility becoming alive and his skill.

There is no logical reason Superman chooses not to perceive things in slow motion when a threat needs to be stopped. It's writer's plot. There is a logical reason why Thor doesn't use estoric abilities a lot. He's a warrior and relishes a good brawl.

h1a8
Some people are determined it's all about speed, speed being the deciding factor. it is A factor, not a deciding factor. What's the difference between fighting a character many times faster vs. Fighting a character who can slow down time to a near halt (while operating at normal speed)?

If a character had the ability to slow down time to a near halt then no one would say that it isn't the deciding factor between physical peers.. It's a HUGE ISSUE.

Cogito
You mean the powers that he stupidly forgets/ignores? If cold breath is so uber, then why does he almost never use it? How about the various things he can do with vibrations? Either they aren't that effect or he's too dumb to use them so why argue along those lines?

I could say the same thing about Thor erm

Superman's often underrated/sometimes overrated abilities include Cold Breath, Heat Vision (capable of sealing tears in space/time, sometimes cutting through people like butter), pressure points, supergenius intellect (built the Miracle Machine from memory after just looking at it briefly, equal intelligence to Jor-El), Torquasm Vo, etc.

Blue Area Vet
What's the difference between fighting a character many times faster vs. Fighting a character who can slow down time to a near halt (while operating at normal speed)?

If a character had the ability to slow down time to a near halt then no one would say that it isn't an issue. It's a HUGE ISSUE.

You are the only poster that doesn't seem to understand that Superman is not always in speed mode. If he was always seeing things in slow motion, he'd never get tagged unless by another speedster and so called suckered punches would not occur. Even when he stops to chastise opponents, he wouldn't come close to being vulnerable to unexpected attacks. No one can take your stance seriously.

h1a8
You are the only poster that doesn't seem to understand that Superman is not always in speed mode. If he was always seeing things in slow motion, he'd never get tagged unless by another speedster and so called suckered punches would not occur. Even when he stops to chastise opponents, he wouldn't come close to being vulnerable to unexpected attacks. No one can take your stance seriously.
Writer's ignore a character's powers for the sake of the plot. Superman isn't stupid enough to not use his perception speed and movement speed. He can't even turn off his perceptions of purpose.

Always we have FULL CAPACITY RULE. That means Superman WILL use his speed and perception as shown before. Superman will fight to the best of his ability as shown before (in comics).

celeyhyga17
Without the speed advantage, Thor for a good majority. I don't think physical stats are enough of an advantage for Clark to get the majority here.

carver9
Without speed, Thor would decimate Clark. With it, I would give Superman a 6/10 against Thor or a split.

Badabing
This has been debated endlessly in the several Supes vs Thor threads already open. Question threads are not needed in the CB vs forum.

-Pr-
Hater!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.