Who has the best plot armour?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
As the title says, which characters have the best plot armour? Though this is the Movie section, people can mention television show characters, for the purposes of this specific thread, as well.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
As the title says, which characters have the best plot armour? Though this is the Movie section, people can mention television show characters, for the purposes of this specific thread, as well.

Batman...

Intelligence can be used to rationalize away any opponent, any challenge, and any obstacle...

TheVaultDweller
Well, Batman is true. But I was thinking more specific examples. Like, Batman in TDKR, where his back heals in a relatively short space of time, without any proper medical attention, and only the most rudimentary "treatment"/"physical therapy", if anyone cares to call it that. Or DCEU Batman with his magical Darkseid prophecy dreams. laughing

KingD19
Ramsay Snow-Bolton.

He was literally untouchable since his introduction, and never truly failed at anything. He was a master torturer, a great fighter, tactician(even while making dumb moves), etc... The only thing that stopped him was even bigger plot armor for Jon who slaughtered about 85 people and figured out the long lost art of becoming invisible to arrows before an army literally rode over the horizon to save his ass after one of the biggest military f*ck-ups in Westeros history.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by KingD19
Ramsay Snow-Bolton.

He was literally untouchable since his introduction, and never truly failed at anything. He was a master torturer, a great fighter, tactician(even while making dumb moves), etc... The only thing that stopped him was even bigger plot armor for Jon who slaughtered about 85 people and figured out the long lost art of becoming invisible to arrows before an army literally rode over the horizon to save his ass after one of the biggest military f*ck-ups in Westeros history.

Good one. He was basically an evil Mary Sue character. Always ahead of the good guys, and every other week did something really awful, just to remind you that you are supposed to hate him.

Nibedicus
The Doctor (Dr Who).

Classic Kirk.

Most traditional 80s action heroes.

Archer (Archer)

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Archer (Archer)

They're going to have to push it to new levels for the next season to work. laughing

jaden101
Walter White.

Nibedicus
They're going to have to push it to new levels for the next season to work. laughing

Pretty much. Would love to see how he got out of that one.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Pretty much. Would love to see how he got out of that one.

Well, then again, it is Archer. The guy who drank like a liter of germicide and only got mildly sick. laughing

His plot armour is so strong that he could probably clear the warehouse scene from BvS while drunk and naked.

Now that I think about it, the Winchesters from Supernatural deserve a mention. Their plot armour comes directly from the big G himself sometimes.

Nibedicus
Agreed. Looking forward to next season. big grin

carthage
Flash literally only survives fodder villains because of the STAR labs team. He got tagged by a dead Zombie Girder, he's the most incompetent fighter of all time

Time-Immemorial
Thor

KingD19
Megatron. Sure he keeps getting defeated. But he's been killed/highly damaged and brought back for every TF movie. And now he's a nearly unstoppable nanomachine robot.

Surtur
Sam and Dean Winchester. Though I'm pretty sure their plot armor comes with a heavy cost in terms of a high mortality rate for anyone they happen to befriend.

Also in some ways..Spike from Buffy. They basically have plenty of chances to get rid of him and just don't for..reasons. He did have a chip in his head to prevent him from hurting people, but they had no idea how long the chip would even last. For all they knew 50 years from then the chip would malfunction and he'd take up killing again. But they just kind of let him chill around their friends and family.

For that matter Angel kind of had the plot armor as well in a way. Buffy and the others knew exactly where Angel, Spike, and Drusilla lived. Yet they just kind of ignored it and let them continue to kill people.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by carthage
Flash literally only survives fodder villains because of the STAR labs team. He got tagged by a dead Zombie Girder, he's the most incompetent fighter of all time

Not always. Barry's ability to hold his own in a fight varies according to the plot. He got tagged by Girder, but the next episode he apparently solos a 100 metahumans at once, and in the final beat both Zoom and Reverse Flash.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Surtur
Sam and Dean Winchester. Though I'm pretty sure their plot armor comes with a heavy cost in terms of a high mortality rate for anyone they happen to befriend.

Also in some ways..Spike from Buffy. They basically have plenty of chances to get rid of him and just don't for..reasons. He did have a chip in his head to prevent him from hurting people, but they had no idea how long the chip would even last. For all they knew 50 years from then the chip would malfunction and he'd take up killing again. But they just kind of let him chill around their friends and family.

For that matter Angel kind of had the plot armor as well in a way. Buffy and the others knew exactly where Angel, Spike, and Drusilla lived. Yet they just kind of ignored it and let them continue to kill people.

The reasons for keeping Spike around was because he made the teenage girls and gay guys that watched the show wet.

TheVaultDweller
Thinking of that earlier post, Jon Snow has to get a mention as well. Plot armour so thick it brought him back from the dead, and kept him alive through a battle where he should have been riddled with arrows and/or trampled in like the first minute.

Which makes me think of this.

These two have pretty much set the bar when it comes to returning from the dead. And despite what Billie said, after the season 11 finale the brothers have probably earned a few more resurrections. laughing

Supermutant
Frodo

FrothByte
Rey from Force Awakens.
John McClane.
The entire Fast and Furious cast.

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
The reasons for keeping Spike around was because he made the teenage girls and gay guys that watched the show wet.

Hey now I think Spike was an awesome character and I'm not gay. Though I don't think he is awesome based on looks. He was kind of the comedy relief which was fine when he was a normal vampire because just watching him do whatever scheme was interesting. But once he got the chip it was just kind of pathetic.

But I know the reason the writers kept him around was due to popularity. I'm just saying within the story it makes no actual sense. If anything you would of thought Riley would of staked Spike for showing Buffy he was going to those vamp brothels.

These two have pretty much set the bar when it comes to returning from the dead. And despite what Billie said, after the season 11 finale the brothers have probably earned a few more resurrections. laughing

They are one of the few characters who had very literal character shields from God himself.

Actually Sam and Dean just remind me now of Hank and Dean from Venture Bros. and how they are always dying and coming back.

KingD19
Hank and Dean have a super scientist dad who made dozens of clones of them.

NemeBro

For that matter Angel kind of had the plot armor as well in a way. Buffy and the others knew exactly where Angel, Spike, and Drusilla lived. Yet they just kind of ignored it and let them continue to kill people. I get why you'd name Spike, but Angel?

Most of the time Angel doesn't actually go around killing people because he has a soul. And the one time he didn't in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Buffy did, in fact, kill him.

TheVaultDweller
They are one of the few characters who had very literal character shields from God himself.

I do wonder about the friend mortality thing. It was mentioned that the old Death kept bringing them back, because he apparently found the brothers entertaining or something (though the fact that Chuck considers them to essentially be his backup line of defense for the world makes me think that there is more to it than that), but Death was also all about the "natural order", and keeping things balanced. So maybe for every instance where the brothers are brought back, a person near them was taken before their actual time in return, to balance to soul scale, so to speak. It'd make sense as to why nearly every single person who has more than 5 conversations with them ends up dead.

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
I get why you'd name Spike, but Angel?

Most of the time Angel doesn't actually go around killing people because he has a soul. And the one time he didn't in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Buffy did, in fact, kill him.

I understand why she wouldn't stake Angel when he had a soul, but once he lost it..she still knew exactly where he was hiding and kind of just waited around. Miss Calendar ended up dead, Kendra ended up dead, then you have the various nameless people Angel killed. I know Angel didn't personally kill Kendra, but it was because of his machinations that she ended up dead.

Though in a way Buffy and Willow had some character shields too late in the 2nd season. Angel for some reason decided to kill Willow's fish instead of just killing Willow. Come to think of it..yeah, the fish murder was a low point for Angel. He could of murdered Willow's parents or something, but her fish? Lame. He set up such a masterpiece to f*ck with Giles and when it came to Willow it's like his heart just wasn't in it.

NemeBro
I understand why she wouldn't stake Angel when he had a soul, but once he lost it..she still knew exactly where he was hiding and kind of just waited around. Miss Calendar ended up dead, Kendra ended up dead, then you have the various nameless people Angel killed. I know Angel didn't personally kill Kendra, but it was because of his machinations that she ended up dead.

Though in a way Buffy and Willow had some character shields too late in the 2nd season. Angel for some reason decided to kill Willow's fish instead of just killing Willow. Come to think of it..yeah, the fish murder was a low point for Angel. He could of murdered Willow's parents or something, but her fish? Lame. He set up such a masterpiece to f*ck with Giles and when it came to Willow it's like his heart just wasn't in it. That's not really plot armour though.

Buffy was the only one with the ability to kill Angel, and while she could have, she didn't because she couldn't bring herself to kill what she still viewed as the man she loved. Her getting over that and doing what needed to be done was her character arc in season two.

He murdered the fish to let Willow know that he could come kill her or her family at any time. It was to torment someone who posed pretty much no threat to him.

TheVaultDweller
I almost feel nostalgic enough to start rewatching Buffy now.

relentless1
Batman: Plot Armour = utility belt, guy can pull just about anything out of that belt

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by relentless1
Batman: Plot Armour = utility belt, guy can pull just about anything out of that belt

Or sometimes off a rack in his vehicle.

XJlHjf_E--4

TheVaultDweller
After watching The Nice Guys, I think Holland March needs to be on this list.

psycho gundam
Joker

Could get ragdolled by pretty much anyone but it can't happen

BruceSkywalker
zack snyder

John Murdoch
Had to bring this thread back for a movie I (re)watched recently: De Niro's Max Cady in Cape Fear.

Two things:
1 - Cady gets out of jail and within around two weeks rapes Nick Nolte's female colleague/affair interest. She decides not to testify due to not wanting to be looked down upon. So, Cady continues his history of sexual abuse and rape, this time to hurt and get to Nolte's character.
2 - Cady gets ambushed by 3 muscle guys that Nolte's private eye hires to beat the tar out of Cady. Even though they cut his chest open with (what looks like) a bicycle chain and beat him while he is on all fours with lead pipes, he manages to head butt one, then grab a pipe, yadda yadda he turns the tide and beats them all down. If one person - let alone three - was getting clean hacks on someone's back while they were down, the last thing the attacked would do is get up and head butt his attacker.
3 - Nick Nolte - whose character is a lawyer in the film - goes into a panicked frenzy after seeing his housekeeper and the abovementioned Joe Don Baker gumshoe get killed in his house by Cady. Nolte's character runs into the gumshoe's large pool of blood near his body, slips on the blood, grabs Joe Don's pistol, and runs outside to his front porch to fire the pistol indiscriminately while yelling for Cady. Tampers beyond belief with the crime scene and the evidence thereof.

All these are done so De Niro can continue to villain-it-up and eventally force a showdown with Nolte and his family on their houseboat. Instead, Cady should've been either imprisoned from the rape or disabled or possibly dead from the beating.

Great movie BTW, but I had three heavy-duty head shakes on all three of the moments above.

950Killer
Any Action Movie main character/protagonist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.