Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon Jinn & Luminara Unduli

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

|King Joker|
Darth Maul as of The Phantom Menace; Qui-Gon Jinn as of The Phantom Menace; Luminara Unduli as of Revenge of the Sith.

Battle takes place in the Theed Royal Palace.

The Ellimist
Is Luminara relevant?

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Is Luminara relevant?

Not as a Soresu master.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Is Luminara relevant? Depends on how you view her matching Ventress. She's stated by Quinlan Vos to be great at teamwork, though, which is obviously beneficial for this matchup: "Her lightsaber skills were impressive. In battle, her movements were focused and precise, flowing from one to the other. All Jedi are my brothers and sisters, but only with a few, like Luminara Unduli, do you intuitively mesh."

chingchangwalla
Luminara isn't a non factor but she's well below Maul. Prime Qui-Gon might stalemate TPM Maul IMO, so if it's TCW or Rebels Maul he wins a large majority.

Kurk
Luminara was pretty alright against Ventress while half-blind. Can't say she and Qui-Gon would stomp; it's pretty close. I can be persuaded either way.

chingchangwalla
Luminara was below the likes of Ki-Adi Mundi, Shaak Ti etc. in sabers

Rebel95
Maul

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Team.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
Prime Qui-Gon might stalemate TPM Maul IMO.
no

Kurk
Luminara would seem to have a weakness against the unorthodox fighting style of Maul as she did with Ventress. She did not lose against the latter because of inferior dueling or force ability, but rather because she was unprepared against Ventress's surprise attacks which took advantage of the environment. This is exactly what Maul did to Qui-Gon and Kenobi.

The small details add up; Luminara's ultra-conservative dress, the lack of attachment to her padawan, the professional way she interacts with everyone, etc. suggests she's a very traditional jedi. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not an efficient mind-set for fighting users like Maul who are trained to defeat run-of-the-mill jedi. Go ahead, call me an idiot or whatever joker.

Kurk
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
no
I'm a believer of that too. smile

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Kurk
I'm a believer of that too. smile
I'm not the least bit surprised. thumb up

|King Joker|
Luminara would seem to have a weakness against the unorthodox fighting style of Maul as she did with Ventress. She did not lose against the latter because of inferior dueling or force ability, but rather because she was unprepared against Ventress's surprise attacks which took advantage of the environment. This is exactly what Maul did to Qui-Gon and Kenobi.

The small details add up; Luminara's ultra-conservative dress, the lack of attachment to her padawan, the professional way she interacts with everyone, etc. suggests she's a very traditional jedi. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not an efficient mind-set for fighting users like Maul who are trained to defeat run-of-the-mill jedi. Go ahead, call me an idiot or whatever joker. I actually agree with that, more or less. But I've always held the viewpoint that Luminara very likely learned from her experience with Ventress, so she'd be more cautious and less likely to underestimate her opponents in the future.

One thing though; Luminara is actually quite attached to Barriss, but she puts up a facade.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Team. Reasons?

Syndicate
Team.

Luminara's performance against Ventress is good enough to make her a valuable ally for Qui Gon and to pull a win against Maul.

SunRazer
Maul wins. Luminara isn't better than TPM Kenobi when you factor in Obi-Wan's synergy with Qui-Gon.

At best, she'll last longer due to Soresu. I can't see her remotely pushing Maul.

cs_zoltan

How in the actual **** is Ventress unorthodox?

Unless you mean she unorthodoxly sucks for a PT sith, in which case you are right.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Reasons?

Because I feel the synergy and skill Luminara provides to the contest would be enough for the duo to defeat the Sith Lord.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by SunRazer
Maul wins. Luminara isn't better than TPM Kenobi when you factor in Obi-Wan's synergy with Qui-Gon.

At best, she'll last longer due to Soresu. I can't see her remotely pushing Maul. I doubt that replacing Kenobi with a noticeably better combatant would make the duo less effective even if sacrificing synergy. And even still, Luminara is a fantastic team player regardless.

MythLord
People "implusively fuse with Unduli" whenever they fight near her. So Qui-Gon and Unduli form Sugilite and stomp Maul. Fairly simple victory for team thumb up

|King Joker|
Originally posted by MythLord
People "implusively fuse with Unduli" whenever they fight near her. So Qui-Gon and Unduli form Sugilite and stomp Maul. Fairly simple victory for team thumb up https://m.popkey.co/21219b/Vqmm_f-maxage-0.gif

MythLord
https://m.popkey.co/21219b/Vqmm_f-maxage-0.gif

Watching Steven Universe, and you'll get the reference -- you'll also indentify with Garnet, a lot thumb up

|King Joker|
Watching Steven Universe, and you'll get the reference -- you'll also indentify with Garnet, a lot thumb up How so? smile

MythLord
How so? smile

She is literally made out of gay luv, tbh. She's also damn good-lookin', smart and kewl. So essentially all the things I'd associate with you. thumb up

|King Joker|
She is literally made out of gay luv, tbh. She's also damn good-lookin', smart and kewl. So essentially all the things I'd associate with you. thumb up http://www.gifwave.com/media/2035_disney-cute-flower-bambi-blush.gif

I think I'll watch it now. smile

Darth Thor
Going with Team.

Maul's not in his Prime, and is up against 2 renowned Masters here, one whose a match for Ventress.

Will be a good fight though.

ILS
early* Ventress, who would after less than a minute of stalemating wipe the floor with Luminara. Though I suppose Luminara could have grown to some degree between then and RotS, who knows how much.

Maul dismisses one of them with TK and kills the other. If he opted to just use his saber he'd win that way as well, neither can press him offensively to any conclusive extent. He's too crafty, hyper-offensive and mobile for a flat-footed Ataru user whose stamina is questionable and a dedicated Soresu user to pressure him into submission, IMO.

|King Joker|
Luminara and Season 1 Asajj are quite close, IMO.

ILS
Agreed, perhaps just stylistically Luminara is too passive and Ventress is too crafty for her to have a real chance.

That said, I don't mind humouring the idea that Luminara could provide Jinn with an added layer of defence Kenobi wouldn't have been able to replicate. You're trading perfect teamwork for Soresu and pretty decent teamwork.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by ILS
Agreed, perhaps just stylistically Luminara is too passive and Ventress is too crafty for her to have a real chance.

That said, I don't mind humouring the idea that Luminara could provide Jinn with an added layer of defence Kenobi wouldn't have been able to replicate. You're trading perfect teamwork for Soresu and pretty decent teamwork. I think that's exactly what it is. Luminara went in to the fight expecting an easy victory and was sorely mistaken; she was met with someone extremely ruthless and intelligent in the way they fight. Luminara just couldn't really overcome that, and as she herself admits, she's never faced someone like Ventress. But honestly, her admitting her **** up makes me believe she'd be more capable in dealing with similar tactics in the future. At the very least she wouldn't underestimate her opponents anymore.

For what it's worth, Luminara has an offensive option in Form V which she's supposedly proficient in (forgot the source where it states that but meh).

cs_zoltan
Well she mastered Shii-Cho, for whatever that's worth.

|King Joker|
s my d

cs_zoltan
I have to decline that offer. Maybe another time.

quanchi112
Keep trying. Persistence is the key. thumb up

RHaggis
Watching Steven Universe, and you'll get the reference -- you'll also indentify with Garnet, a lot thumb up

Stop trying to convert people to your cult!

|King Joker|
Originally posted by quanchi112
Keep trying. Persistence is the key. thumb up Thanks quanchi thumb up

MythLord
Originally posted by RHaggis
Stop trying to convert people to your cult!

Stop trying to prevent the future. You will fall to the power of Steven...

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11117/111178634/5321287-steven+is+god%21.png

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.