Paying Hyperspace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
I really have no idea where to put this, so if a mod knows, please move it to the appropriate section

it's more like a general SW thing...

SW.c reveals what this Hyperspace is all about.
Unfortunatly, it was what lots of people already thought: a paying subscription...
It will be $19.95 to see it.
What will you get?

The unfinished cut scene from AOTC where Ki-Adi raided the droid control ship.
An online diary about Episode III.
EU sections
The first animated Clone Wars cartoon
Avatars for the Starwars forums.
No pop-ups
A Personal email address
Webcam access to a set of Episode III
and deleted scenes.

Is it worth it?
I mean, the Mundi scene is unfinished, I will get to see the clone wars cartoons anyway, I'm not on the SW forum, I have a pop-up killer so I don't have to bother, also have enough email addresses, the webcam won't show anything special I bet, and what is left to say then?

LaurenE147
It's so commercialized. Like they don't have enough money!

yerssot
I wonder who will get it...
not me anyway

GordonSkywalker
Nor me I think.

Dexx
I HEAR YOU!!

Corran
Damn Dexx, we all hear you when you shout like that.

Dexx
this damn endless advertising..pisses me off

Catch 22
I'm hoping I won't have to pay, but that still speculative at the moment. wink

yerssot
if you speculate correct, can you slip in 5,000 other people too? stick out tongue

LaurenE147
Hopefully we can just find it from someone who is stupid enough to pay for it.

yerssot
well, in theory it's possibly that one pays and others can get in with his/her emailaddress as login and pass

Catch 22
Uh, no, that won't work as far as I have been told by the powers that be. Little matter of IP logging....

Plus if they see the same login being used by two people at the same time then that's and automatic infringement...

Or the same login used from one IP address in the UK and one in, say, Canada within hours of each other then they're gonna spot it.

yerssot
nicey nice sad
and I take the pics are also non-downloadable?

Catch 22
Dunno about that, from what I know they will be regular pics. Movie files will be protected though, but that's no biggie to get around so you can save them.

yerssot
that already happened a few times, yes smile

Dexx
My internet provider changes my ip everytime i log on. Ip shouldn't be a matter in this..

yerssot
you're still from romania and your server doesn't change every signle numbre

Catch 22
Dexx, simply quoting that line out of context is rather silly isn't it? It needs to be read in conjuction with the rest of the post...If you wanna try it then that's up to you, but I'm pretty sure you'll get caught pretty quickly and that would be a real quick way to lose $20.00 cos there'll be no refunds for people who infridge the AUP on this service and get their account cancelled.Exactly!!! Obviously they won't be dumb about it, but if they see something that they feel is an infringement then they're gonna investigate it and you'll need to be able to prove that you're legitimate.

Obviously there will be people who get away with it, but personally I would want to risk my money if I pay for it.

yerssot
so, you'll pay for it?

Catch 22
Probably will want to have access to it.

yerssot
do you think it's worth it?

Catch 22
Well having seen what you're getting I think so, though I'd be the first to admit that a month ago I was against it.

I mean we're talking less that the price of a couple of cans of soda a month...

yerssot
I don't drink soda stick out tongue

if the Mundi scene was actually FINISHED... it would make sense, but now they show you an unfinished scene!

Catch 22
Well they can't finish it, they don't have the elements available to do it. That was one of the comments that LFL made about that scene this week when asked why it wasn't finished.

They simply don't have the other footage elements because the scene was scrapped so early in production that the background plates, extra were never made.

yerssot
yes, I know, but then they could also include Dooku with two lightsabres and the extended fight with Anakin with two lightsabres!

Catch 22
I believe they may come later, I meam they're not gonna shove everything out there on day one, else people would just get a 1 month subscription for $3.99, watch it all and then forget about it.

Hyperspace is gonna be updated almost daily, just as the regular site is.

yerssot
yes, the diary and the webcam, that's about it I think

Catch 22
Nope, there will be other updates daily.

The webcam will update every 20 seconds, the diary may be daily, may even be more often, after all they've sent someone all the way to Oz, they might as well make that person earn thier keep.

Raz
What exactly was their justification for this charge?

Why suddenly the fee? Are we not buying enough Windu dolls?

Catch 22
The charge isn't for the regular website, that remains as is and will continue to be updated as it always has been.

The subscription services is a totally seperate entity, with it's own content. Certain items will premiere on the Hyperspace channel before they are released to the free website, such as Episode III Selects.

One of the major misunderstandings (and misrepresentations in the case of TFN) is that something is being taken away, this simply is not true.

This is a subcriber service with feature enhancements (for the forums) and special content in a seperate website area.

yerssot
there are Windu dolls???? *panics*

my general idea about this all is that I won't pay for news about a movie, then it's best to stay spoilerfree, that way I have no idea about what will happen and will still be happy about it

Raz
What I mean to say was why are they starting this right now?
Why didn't they do this with Episode I or II?

And from the list on the OS it doesn't look like anything special. Basically its a new low - charging for promotion. roll eyes (sarcastic)

(BTW, this is Episode III related so moving...)

yerssot
perhaps it will improve next year?

Catch 22
Well I thhink it is simply a matter of them not thing of it before and the changing face of the Internet.

Paul Ens did some interviews on a few of the big sites and the arguement is that the long term view of the Internet is that information will NOT be free in the future.

yerssot
but the things at sw.c who are free right now, will remain free, right?

Corran
by the looks of it, yes.

Raz
That is true for independent sites, yes.

But we are talking about a movie studios website, basically used for promotion.

Anyway, I for one will not be paying for this extortion. Its just sad to see LucasFilm stooping this low to make money.

Catch 22
Yes, absolutely, but that you won't always see things first on the free site.

For Example: Episode III Select will be first run on Hyperspace, then they will be opened up to the whole site after a 'period of time.'

yerssot
if it's before EpIII, I'll be more then happy smile

yerssot
up and running, enjoy

(everything seems offline at the moment though)

EDIT:
This is ANNOYING! Still not a SINGLE story of epIII working! this is stupid!

Catch 22
I disagree, I managed to get in and read a few, but then it went down and since it hasn't worked.

Already we have three casting confirmations and also confirmation of 4 jedi who WILL NOT be returning.

yerssot
can you tell more? cause I can't get in!
nice preview roll eyes (sarcastic)

Catch 22
OK, I'm not gonna spoiler tag these as they have all been official announced on StarWars.Com and are therefore outside the Spoiler Policy.

Orn Free Taa - Confirmed IN
Shaak Ti - Confirmed IN
Barris Offee - Confirmed IN

Depa Billaba - Confirmed OUT
Oppo Rancisis - Confirmed OUT
Even Piell - Confirmed OUT
Yarael Poof - Confirmed OUT
Yaddle - Confirmed OUT

yerssot
you know ... anyone could have guessed at least two out
*sigh*
it's just not my day I take

Catch 22
Well yeah, two have been killed in books and were not even in AOTC.

OK, here's some more for you.

Luninara Unduli is IN
Sly Moore is IN
Rune Haako is IN

You know where to find the details.
wink

yerssot
no, cause I can't get in at all!

and what about Nute Gunray????

Catch 22
Yep, he's in.

yerssot
stupid that you actually need a credit card for a FREE preview!

Raz
So how many people are actually willing to cough up this fee?

yerssot
so far I only know of one

Catch 22
Who's that?

Well looking at the SW.C forums the takeup does seem quite good. Certainbly we've been busy over there. Lot's of people who registered for the newsletters but never ventured into the forums have suddenly started posting.

yerssot
it's still the free preview time wink

someone in Italy unfortunatly

Catch 22
Yers, are you even registered at StarWars.Com???

yerssot
yes, under another name, cause for some reason someone registered already under the name Yerssot, or so they say when I try to change it

Captain REX
Now that's just plain gay. Charging $20 a year, they've limited their access to a minimum.

I'm pissed. mad mad mad

Captain REX
This pretty much explained how I feel...

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=21112

yerssot
$19.95 actually

and how I see it, you won't miss anything
okok, just the pics of the diary, crappy webcampics and the EpIII-selects (which will just get out later for the non-payers btw!)
and fansites can STILL tell what's going on (though, no copying texts and pics)

Captain REX
It's still dumb though. Plus, we won't see the pics. I like seeing the pics.

$19.95, $20, same thing. 5 cents off.

yerssot
if you want pics, you get hyperspace

not worth it, imho

Raz

cookies2006
I was thinking about getting it but dont want to pay 20 bucks for it.

Corran
$20 per year, I thought it was going to be a monthly charge.

yerssot
mind you, once payed you can't unsubscribe that year anymore

cookies2006
owell dont think im goin to get it.

Evil Windu
Im thinking about paying for HS, But probably around the end of summer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.