Coup Attempt in Turkey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Not much to go on as of yet, but it appears that at least part of the Turkish military is attempting to take over the country.

Turkey has a long history of military coups, with the military having often been seen as a secular safeguard against Islamism as well as a source of nationalist authoritarianism. The AKP government that's controlled Turkey for most of a decade has done its best to keep the military under thumb and has in the past even purged officers suspected of not being totally loyal, but it would seem that at least some in the military have had enough.

Thoughts?

Stigma
Just in:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

Soooo... I'm anxious what comes out of that.

Lestov16
Any word on the motivation of the coup?

MS Warehouse
I support it, legal or not (it's not). They can then take the offense to the radical Islam groups operating in and around the area. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Stigma
Not sure....As of now, it seems to be an information mess.

Stigma

Stigma
Ha, beat you to it, Omega smile

Let's merge the threads.

Omega Vision
Nope, check the time. I got mine in one minute before. Not that it matters.

I'm not going to say yet whether this is a good or bad thing. I think in that it has a chance to lead to serious violence and might lead to an even worse political situation in Turkey (that's whether the coup succeeds or not), it's probably a bad thing, but there's always a chance it really will lead to more stability and an end to the totalitarian ambitions of Erdogan.

Lestov16
Hmm....

Stigma
Oops yeah. You got that. Either way, that is a hell of a story.

Surtur
This is my worst nightmare, I mean you can only eat an animal for dinner so many times before it comes back to..*reads title more carefully*.

Oh, well that is a shame for that country that people are doing this.

Lestov16
I wonder if Russia has any part in this. Hasn't Turkey been downing Russian aircraft?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Lestov16
I wonder if Russia has any part in this. Hasn't Turkey been downing Russian aircraft?
Lol, Turkey doesn't need any help to have coups, military coups are practically part of their constitution.

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Lol, Turkey doesn't need any help to have coups, military coups are practically part of their constitution.

Turkey must have an awesome constitution.

Badabing
Threads have been merged. Omega's thread beat Stigma's thread by 1 minute.

krisblaze
Off with Stigma's head.

Stigma
Originally posted by krisblaze
Off with Stigma's head.
Are you a Muslim?

Kurk
Throwing Erdogan's regime is a great thing. Returns Turkey to its secular, democratic roots.

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by Kurk
Throwing Erdogan's regime is a great thing. Returns Turkey to its secular, democratic roots. secular democratic roots? You sure you know Turkey's history?

Lord Lucien
"Coup" is just a liberal euphemism for terrorist attack on the government.

We should probably bomb Turkey now.

Kurk
Originally posted by MS Warehouse
secular democratic roots? You sure you know Turkey's history?
I'm speaking of Ataturk roots.

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by Kurk
I'm speaking of Ataturk roots.

Oh ok because even as far back as the rise of Islam, they were comprised of tribal warlords, followed by 800 years of Seljuk/Mamluk/Ottoman Sultans.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
"Coup" is just a liberal euphemism for terrorist attack on the government.

We should probably bomb Turkey now. The military is the GDI here while Erdolf is Nod

Syndicate
Watching the live feed right now. Apparently the military is firing into the crowd and low flying jets have been seen flying near the bridges in Istanbul...

The Ellimist
Damn.

The Ellimist
SWF come on.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Here.

Syndicate
Heavy tanks moving down the street. It's unclear if the people crawling on the ground were injured or attempting to make their way away from the scene.

Syndicate
Link to the CNN livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ32cK1u-b8

Navies apparently surrounded the bay where Erdogan is residing. A tank apparently just shot down a Turkish fighter jet.

Syndicate
Apparently it was Erdogan's side that shot down the jet.

Sinious
This isn't a real coup.

Syndicate
Obama's made a statement that the US will side with the democratically elected leader of Turkey. I.E. Erdogan.

ArtificialGlory
And here I was thinking Turkey's military was beginning to grow soft. About time that Islamist wanna-be dictator Erdogan was deposed.

Sinious
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
And here I was thinking Turkey's military was beginning to grow soft. About time that Islamist wanna-be dictator Erdogan was deposed. You'll most likely watch the Turkish army's complete dismemberment and Erdogan's ascension to presidency by the end of all this.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Sinious
You'll most likely watch the Turkish army's complete dismemberment and Erdogan's ascension to presidency by the end of all this.
I seriously hope not. I hope it's Erdogan's dismemberment I get to see.

Sinious
I seriously hope not. I hope it's Erdogan's dismemberment I get to see. Same, but Erdogan has been pushing for this for some time now, and a real coup in Turkey happens so fast around 5 am and by the time it's finished, all the state leaders find them selves captured and in prison. This time for no reason, the soldiers just blockaded irrelevant streets and villainized them selves in front of the country and the globe without taking over anything. A 5 year old would come up with a better strategy. And on top of all that, the elite military leaders at the very top are missing and haven't made any public explanations. The command chain allows for low ranked corrupt members of the military to take control of the army in such circumstances, which is the case right now. This coup is meant to fail and justify Erdogan's ascension. In fact, for those who come fro SWF, its pretty much the Grand Plan and Order 66, but instead of a charismatic manipulative genius, we have a retarded ignorant peasant.

If it goes in any other way it'll be a massive shock. One that is welcome, but very unlikely.

Syndicate
A crowd was just fired into. The people in the front fell to the ground. sad

Unfortunately it looks like Sinious is correct about the ultimate outcome of this situation.

For some background Erdogan is a religious extremist in a traditionally secular country and has been neutering the Turkish military for the past few decades in a country where compulsory military service and nationalism is standard practice. He's an extremely polarizing figure hated by half the population and loved by the rest.

Syndicate
Same, but Erdogan has been pushing for this for some time now, and a real coup in Turkey happens so fast around 5 am and by the time it's finished, all the state leaders find them selves captured and in prison. This time for no reason, the soldiers just blockaded irrelevant streets and villainized them selves in front of the country and the globe without taking over anything. A 5 year old would come up with a better strategy. And on top of all that, the elite military leaders at the very top are missing and haven't made any public explanations. The command chain allows for low ranked corrupt members of the military to take control of the army in such circumstances, which is the case right now. This coup is meant to fail and justify Erdogan's ascension. In fact, for those who come fro SWF, its pretty much the Grand Plan and Order 66, but instead of a charismatic manipulative genius, we have a retarded ignorant peasant.

If it goes in any other way it'll be a massive shock. One that is welcome, but very unlikely.

You're correct in that the heads of the military were not involved. It's lower level officers that have carried this out.

Apparently there's a rumor that the coup leader was captured by Turkish security forces.

ArtificialGlory
Same, but Erdogan has been pushing for this for some time now, and a real coup in Turkey happens so fast around 5 am and by the time it's finished, all the state leaders find them selves captured and in prison. This time for no reason, the soldiers just blockaded irrelevant streets and villainized them selves in front of the country and the globe without taking over anything. A 5 year old would come up with a better strategy. And on top of all that, the elite military leaders at the very top are missing and haven't made any public explanations. The command chain allows for low ranked corrupt members of the military to take control of the army in such circumstances, which is the case right now. This coup is meant to fail and justify Erdogan's ascension. In fact, for those who come fro SWF, its pretty much the Grand Plan and Order 66, but instead of a charismatic manipulative genius, we have a retarded ignorant peasant.

Yes, the coup does seem to be somewhat half-assed so far, but it's difficult to tell what's going on just yet. No two coups are the same. However, I wouldn't say that the military(or a faction of it) hasn't done anything of substance. They've at least so far taken over the state broadcaster, the parliament, and the offices of the ruling party.

Sinious
@ Syndicate

Yep, in fact what I said was uncommon conspiracies a few hours ago. Now, almost anyone who doesnt support the government says this is not a coup it's a drama. thumb up

Sinious
Yes, the coup does seem to be somewhat half-assed so far, but it's difficult to tell what's going on just yet. No two coups are the same. However, I wouldn't say that the military(or a faction of it) hasn't done anything of substance. They've at least so far taken over the state broadcaster, the parliament, and the offices of the ruling party. The coups in 1960-71-80 were significantly different than what is going on today, and the whole thing is now seen as a joke anyway.

Syndicate
Things seem to be developing extremely quickly. CNN is reporting that the military may be the only hope for democracy in the country ( ironically enough ).

Parmaniac
It's over

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Parmaniac
It's over
It is?

Syndicate
Bomb just hit the Turkish parliament.

Parmaniac
A news ticker said the military is down + an ifficier said he has no hope for the coup maybe it's wrong

Syndicate
Unfortunately, probably not.

Syndicate
Rocket from a helicopter* hit parliament.

Omega Vision
The coup's soldiers have taken over at least one State media office.

Omega Vision
According to one report which hasn't yet been verified, Erdogan is on a private jet seeking asylum in Europe. If that's true, then the coup may have worked.

Nephthys
I hear its turning back.

Syndicate
https://twitter.com/throwawayankara/status/754098068212027392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Syndicate
Originally posted by Nephthys
I hear its turning back.

@Neph: It's confirmed he's making his way back to Turkey on a plane.

Syndicate
https://twitter.com/AviWxChasers/status/754106604878909440

vansonbee
Originally posted by Syndicate
@Neph: It's confirmed he's making his way back to Turkey on a plane. I read he was going to Germany, but he was denied permission.

Syndicate
I believe that's accurate. He's landed in Turkey apparently.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by vansonbee
I read he was going to Germany, but he was denied permission. Doubtful, our moronic ass licking government would never refuse asylum to him, they would fear for the refugee deal.

The Ellimist
As Sinious said, I wonder if he orchestrated a failed coup to give himself more legitimacy...

Lestov16
So now we have yet another sharia law theocracy that the U.S. has to support.

vansonbee
I believe this is one of the soldiers from the tank. I don't know what this guy was thinking, he half ass a coup by surrendering. Now he's going to die a horrible death by these barbarian supporters.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnc1ulSWAAAP2CP.jpg

Raisen
Man the world is phucked up.

Lestov16
thumb up

The worst thing is that our good old U.S.A is going to support Turkey's theocracy, just like Saudi Arabia. Good luck wiping out fundamentalist Islam when we continuously ally with fundamentalist Islamic countries.

Raisen
I agree with you there les. We need to phucking pull back from all these shit holes and spend our money here. Imagine tmhow great this country would be.

Time-Immemorial
thumb up

The worst thing is that our good old U.S.A is going to support Turkey's theocracy, just like Saudi Arabia. Good luck wiping out fundamentalist Islam when we continuously ally with fundamentalist Islamic countries.

So since Hilary will support then, are you still going to vote for her?

Nephthys
So, why do we have to support Turkey?

Raisen
It's great with mashed potatoes and gravy. Only phucking reason. Phuck them

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Nephthys
So, why do we have to support Turkey?

Cause Obama loves him. He successfully has turned a secular country into a muslim country.

Mission success to Obama.

Raisen
It's not just obama. Obama is a nobody bro and we know that. Bush was a nobody too. There's power players here that goes beyond this

Time-Immemorial
Obama is not a nobody. Believing that is just accepting another lie. Regardless who is behind the scenes like Soros, Obama has a choice and he always choses wrong.

Parmaniac
thumb up

The worst thing is that our good old U.S.A is going to support Turkey's theocracy, just like Saudi Arabia. Good luck wiping out fundamentalist Islam when we continuously ally with fundamentalist Islamic countries. It's like a constipated toilet, instead of removing the shit that constipates we keep on flushing and wonder why everything gets messy...

Lestov16
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
So since Hilary will support then, are you still going to vote for her?

Like I said, if Trump switches his position on the refugee ban and universal healthcare, I definitely wouldn't mind voting him over Hillary. But IMO that refugee ban will cause far more problems than Hillary ever could. Like I said, he switches on that, and he'll have my vote.

Time-Immemorial
We already have universal health care thats better then ACA, its called medicare. Which he wants to improve.

Why bring people here when we can take Syria back and they can have their own nation.

You realize this is along the same lines and shit people complained about with Israel right.

We cant abandon nation states. We can't do it.

Omega Vision
So one of the things that the coup attempt brought into focus is the fact that the US stores 50 nuclear warheads at Incirlik Air Force Base in Turkey.

When you consider that's the largest single stockpile of American nuclear weapons in Europe, and how close the airforce base is to so many geopolitical faultlines and terrorist organizations, you start to question the wisdom of keeping a stockpile there. The base is 68 miles from the Syrian border.

Parmaniac
Erdogan already blames the US planning this whole thing.

2700 judges already fired as a consequence.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
We already have universal health care thats better then ACA, its called medicare. Which he wants to improve.

Are you referring to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)

Lord Lucien
Erdogan already blames the US planning this whole thing.

2700 judges already fired-- --out of a cannon, in to the sun.

Parmaniac
If this whole imprisonment of intellectuals and critics proceeds we can throw bombs at turkey and only need to watch out to not hit prisons.

AsbestosFlaygon
The coup was part of Erdogan's plan. Looks like he succeeded.

StiltmanFTW
It's like a constipated toilet, instead of removing the shit that constipates we keep on flushing and wonder why everything gets messy...

laughing out loud

Best comparison I've heard in a while, Parm thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.