Thanos vs the Emotional Spectrum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
If Thanos had every power ring in his possession, could he use them all at once or in tandem without being torn apart by their conflicting natures? Is he tough enough mentally, emotionally, and physically? Why? Why not?

Cogito
Blue light of Hope? Indigo light of Compassion? Violet light of Love?

Most definitely not.

Sin I AM
I vaguely remember kyle (or was it Hal) stomping the space smurfs with a couple. Although iirc the orange ring wasnt s real orange ring and i dont think the he had a black one. Its not a durability thing. I think its a personality thing with rings...if i embody all those traits to a certain degree

Cogito
Yeah Kyle mastered all of them (except Black) and became the White Lantern. It does require experiencing all of the emotions to a high degree to master them.

golem370
Thanos is called the Mad Titan.

blair85
Red - rage from great loss - He has lost omnipotence a few time. Lost or was rejected by Death a couple times.
Orange - greed - Yep.
Yellow - fear, being feared - Yep.
Green - Willpower - Yep.
Blue - Hope - Not a lot of hope there.
Indigo - Compassion - Yeah, Thanos doesn't care. No compassion.
Violet - Love - Has killed entire planets for Death. Killed half the universe for Death. Has spent most of his life in pursuit of the Death. His love for her has directed so much of his life.

Thanos has little compassion or hope, but he'd still be a beast with all the Power Rings. Especially Yellow, Green and Violet.

Cogito
Pretty sure love has to be broader than just one affection to get the Violet spectrum to work for you.

Stoic
Thanks you guys. I'm crazy busy these days, so I can barely come online other than take a peek now and again. But, thanks for the responses, it's been a question of mine for a while now, but wasn't certain if it was a dummy man question lol. All the same, thanks for the responses. In my opinion, because Thanos was able to resist being "dichotomized" <-- (not a word) that he should be able to master all of the rings at once without being torn apart on whatever level the rings affect their host.

Cogito
Originally posted by Stoic
Thanks you guys. I'm crazy busy these days, so I can barely come online other than take a peek now and again. But, thanks for the responses, it's been a question of mine for a while now, but wasn't certain if it was a dummy man question lol. All the same, thanks for the responses. In my opinion, because Thanos was able to resist being "dichotomized" <-- (not a word) that he should be able to master all of the rings at once without being torn apart on whatever level the rings affect their host.

Rings don't tear apart hosts that can't use them.

The rings seek out a nearby person who it senses has the greatest capacity to wield it in the event of a prior wielder's death. In this case, the rings would just not choose Thanos. Attempting to stop the rings from seeking out a new bearer have mixed results. There have been times when they're easily trapped in energy shields or whatnot and times when the rings just break through any attempts to trap them.

If an unworthy individual puts on a ring, which has happened, it basically just doesn't do anything. This is no doubt what would happen with Thanos with most of the spectrum. IMO he would only likely be able to wield Yellow and Green.

Kyle became a White Lantern via alternate means. He didn't have a ring of each color, he was just able to use his Green ring to channel all of the other spectrums to the point where he became white.

basilisk
Originally posted by blair85
Red - rage from great loss - He has lost omnipotence a few time. Lost or was rejected by Death a couple times.
Orange - greed - Yep.
Yellow - fear, being feared - Yep.
Green - Willpower - Yep.
Blue - Hope - Not a lot of hope there.
Indigo - Compassion - Yeah, Thanos doesn't care. No compassion.
Violet - Love - Has killed entire planets for Death. Killed half the universe for Death. Has spent most of his life in pursuit of the Death. His love for her has directed so much of his life.

Thanos has little compassion or hope, but he'd still be a beast with all the Power Rings. Especially Yellow, Green and Violet.

Thanos doesn't strike me as particularly filled with rage. I think he would have a hard time with maintaining anything in the red spectrum.

Orange - He is definitely greedy for power. He doesn't seem interested in accumulating luxuries, material goods, and much else though. He still dresses in the same outfit he wore as a child. 50/50 on this one, I don't see him as powerful with it as Larfleeze whose greed for everything knows no bounds.

Love/compassion/hope? He may have killed half the universe for Death, but he is more infatuated with Death than actually in love. Based on the story of his youth, I think he actually grew up pretty emotionally stunted. I don't think he really understands anything about love or friendship having never experienced much at all of them (like Apocalypse, he has been around a hell of a long time but has no friends - the closest thing he has is Warlock, who acts as his enemy and confidante). His trying to win Death over with grand nihilistic gestures then not understanding why she continually used and spurned him was almost pathetic. When he obtained the IG he made a female version of himself as his lover (and named her after Terrax - weird). No, I think he would have a near impossible time with both love and compassion, and probably hope too.

Yellow - I think most cosmics and heroes just intensely dislike or hate him rather than fear him, but the regular alien multitudes certainly fear him. He should be strong in this area.

Will - he should also do very well here in terms of sheer power, though I'm not sure he has the creative side to wield green to the fullest.

Overall I don't think this sociopath gets anywhere near mastery of the spectrum, but give him some green and yellow rings and he should do very well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.