Stranger Things

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ares834
XWxyRG_tckY

Has anyone else watched this yet?

It basically feels like a mix of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. Personally, I thought it was excellent. Probably the best Netflix Original so far.

samhain
Kinda looks like one of those shows where nothing really happens, just gets hinted at. Looks good enough to give it a go though, plus, it'd be interesting to see how shoplifting helped Winona to prepare for the role.

TheVaultDweller
I just finished watching it last night. It was pretty good IMO. A lot of shows similar to this one fail to keep my attention for the whole season, but I breezed through all the episodes pretty quickly.

Originally posted by samhain
Kinda looks like one of those shows where nothing really happens, just gets hinted at. Looks good enough to give it a go though, plus, it'd be interesting to see how shoplifting helped Winona to prepare for the role.

The show actually has a decent bit of action, but it does tend to build up towards a climax, so the heavier action is more towards the later episodes.

Arachnid1
I saw it. Pretty great, though I didn't really like how things wrapped up. Too easy.

Still, great show

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I saw it. Pretty great, though I didn't really like how things wrapped up. Too easy.

Still, great show

Well, they did leave it somewhat open-ended, with the food and eggos in the forest, and Will puking up that weird, black slug. And this show got pretty decent overall ratings, so the chances for a second season are definitely on.

Robtard
On ep 5, enjoyable so far.

jaden101
Finished this today. Some weird hybrid of Super 8, Silent Hill, The Mist

Was OK. Get the feeling it wouldn't be getting as well received without the 80's movie nostalgia though. If it was condensed into a movie it would be a blatant Super 8 rip off with added mysterious girl with super powers.

Patient_Leech
Oh, I heard good things about this, but fu#k, if it's like Super 8 I'll probably pass. Did not like Super 8.

quanchi112
This was damn good.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh, I heard good things about this, but fu#k, if it's like Super 8 I'll probably pass. Did not like Super 8.

Well, to me (personally, at least) it was what Super 8 could have been if it had actually been done well. I also thought Super 8 was balls, but liked this.

TheVaultDweller
For people who are unsure, I'd recommend watching the first 2 episodes, and see how you like them. If you like them, you will probably enjoy the show right up until the end. If the first 2 episodes didn't get your interest, you'll be wasting your time continuing.

MF DELPH
I thought the series was amazing. It was like Stephen King's It meets Fringe with Stand by Me and Goonies mashed in for flavor. Good sci fi with 80's era flavor.

quanchi112
When Delph and I agree it's basically a fact.

Inhuman
Was great

samhain
Binge watched this in 24 hours while I was off work. Really enjoyable, think being set in the 80's helped a lot, if only for the fact they couldn't track phones or use satellite images to find the child. Hope this gets a second season with these characters but they could do a True Detective thing and give us a new story, characters, time period, etc. Definitely had a Stand By Me/It kind of feel to it. When will these shadowy government groups realize that you don't mess with curious teenage boys who ride bicycles in small town America? That's one sure fire way to have it all come crashing down around you.

Lestov16
Just binge watched this over the course of today. Excellent show. A mix of many famous sci film and horror themes with an 80s aesthetic, a tantalizing mystery, and relatable enjoyable characters, along with excellent direction, cinematography, and acting, with its short length allowing for an efficient narrative with no needless or uninteresting subplots. If you are a fan of shows like Lost, Fringe, or The Twilight Zone, you'll love this.

I noticed that many plot elements and themes were similar to the works of Stephen King, such as It, The Tommyknockers, and Carrie, as well as Steven Spielberg films such as ET and (the Spielberg inspired) Super 8

Digi
Super 8 as a TV series.

It's laden with tropes, but packages them well. And it takes delightful glee in referencing basically anything from the 80s. Plot will be ho-hum to long-time sci-fi and even horror buffs. But the cast shines, and it's marathon-able in one day. I watched the whole thing today.

thumb up

Firefly218
Originally posted by Digi
Super 8 as a TV series.

It's laden with tropes, but packages them well. And it takes delightful glee in referencing basically anything from the 80s. Plot will be ho-hum to long-time sci-fi and even horror buffs. But the cast shines, and it's marathon-able in one day. I watched the whole thing today.

thumb up Much better than Super 8

Digi
Originally posted by Firefly218
Much better than Super 8

Well, TV shows get to cheat. They have more time. If that time is utilized well, it's almost always going to be a deeper experience. It's hard to compare mediums. But I think the comparison is fair, and Super 8 did a nice job building an interesting sci-fi tale with characters that you could care about.

queeq
I liked it. A tad long though for the story they were trying to tell. After Ep5 it dragged on a bit. They might have added another layer to the story.

Strong side: a pretty straightforward mystery story
Weak side: maybe a tad too straightforward for an eight hour movie.

Very enjoyable. But not among the greats like Twin Peaks or Lost.

Firefly218
Well, TV shows get to cheat. They have more time. If that time is utilized well, it's almost always going to be a deeper experience. It's hard to compare mediums. But I think the comparison is fair, and Super 8 did a nice job building an interesting sci-fi tale with characters that you could care about. Just because two things use the same idea doesn't mean they're equivalent. Buffy isn't Twilight with a tv show just because a girl falls in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The Walking Dead isn't a Dawn of the Dead tv show just because there's zombies. Stranger Things is in terms of character dynamics and story as uniquely spun as any other tv show, its only similarities to Super 8 are very surface and superficial. Sure they're in the same genre, they both involve protagonists that are kids and they both have mysterious monsters. It's not those things that make the show great, it's how those things are used and to what effect. Imo the first hour of the show alone is superior and more interesting than everything Super 8 did.

quanchi112
Just because two things use the same idea doesn't mean they're equivalent. Buffy isn't Twilight with a tv show just because a girl falls in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The Walking Dead isn't a Dawn of the Dead tv show just because there's zombies. Stranger Things is in terms of character dynamics and story as uniquely spun as any other tv show, its only similarities to Super 8 are very surface and superficial. Sure they're in the same genre, they both involve protagonists that are kids and they both have mysterious monsters. It's not those things that make the show great, it's how those things are used and to what effect. Imo the first hour of the show alone is superior and more interesting than everything Super 8 did. Iyo and with the allotted time they could establish more since they didn't have to resolve the entire season inside of the first hour.

Digi
Just because two things use the same idea doesn't mean they're equivalent. Buffy isn't Twilight with a tv show just because a girl falls in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The Walking Dead isn't a Dawn of the Dead tv show just because there's zombies. Stranger Things is in terms of character dynamics and story as uniquely spun as any other tv show, its only similarities to Super 8 are very surface and superficial. Sure they're in the same genre, they both involve protagonists that are kids and they both have mysterious monsters. It's not those things that make the show great, it's how those things are used and to what effect. Imo the first hour of the show alone is superior and more interesting than everything Super 8 did.

I don't think the similarities are superficial at all. I got a very similar feeling from both, in terms of the relationships between the characters, and the tensions between them. And the superficial similarities, as you call them, are pretty comprehensive. Both have a jaded cop mourning the loss of someone, both are set in roughly the same time period ('79 vs. '83) and in the same part of the country (Ohio/Indiana), giving off a distinct suburban middle-America vibe. Townspeople missing, shady government types with a vague conspiracy feeling, a grade school science teacher as plot device, and plucky young nerds with hearts of gold. Hell, both aliens hang people in their lairs and use them for food. And that's just off the top of my head. If you want to go to critical reception, ST has been called an homage to Spielberg films, and he produced Super 8. Or if we want to appeal to mass opinion, do a search for "Stranger Things Super 8." There are a several results. Your Buffy/Twilight example is a strawman. By nearly any method of comparison, Super 8 and Stranger Things are incredibly similar, both in objective details and emotional core.

However, you're taking my original comment out of context. I meant it as a compliment, not as a cross-media comparison. That you didn't like one doesn't erase the similarities, nor does a comparison of the two cheapen the cool, original ways that Stranger Things isn't like Super 8.

Firefly218
I don't think the similarities are superficial at all. I got a very similar feeling from both, in terms of the relationships between the characters, and the tensions between them. And the superficial similarities, as you call them, are pretty comprehensive. Both have a jaded cop mourning the loss of someone, both are set in roughly the same time period ('79 vs. '83) and in the same part of the country (Ohio/Indiana), giving off a distinct suburban middle-America vibe. Townspeople missing, shady government types with a vague conspiracy feeling, a grade school science teacher as plot device, and plucky young nerds with hearts of gold. Hell, both aliens hang people in their lairs and use them for food. And that's just off the top of my head. If you want to go to critical reception, ST has been called an homage to Spielberg films, and he produced Super 8. Or if we want to appeal to mass opinion, do a search for "Stranger Things Super 8." There are a several results. Your Buffy/Twilight example is a strawman. By nearly any method of comparison, Super 8 and Stranger Things are incredibly similar, both in objective details and emotional core.

However, you're taking my original comment out of context. I meant it as a compliment, not as a cross-media comparison. That you didn't like one doesn't erase the similarities, nor does a comparison of the two cheapen the cool, original ways that Stranger Things isn't like Super 8. Well sure you can compare the two things I've got no problem with that, it just seems like you tried to combine them. Parrellels can be drawn between anything in entertainment because there's really nothing conceptually new that hasn't been exhausted in some format. All we've got is the old and that's do we care, are the jokes funny, are the scary parts scary, is the story gripping and do the characters resonate. Maybe it's not an objective analysis but Stranger Things delivered in spades all the things that mattered; I was happy, I was sad, I was scared and most of all they made me care. Super 8 on the other hand failed to meet any of those standards imo at least. So when you're comparing two things, just because they've got, granted, strong parrellels in their genre pulls and tropes, it doesn't mean they're the same. Each thing is a special little snowflake imo. Once again though everything I'm saying is just my perspectives it's cool if you enjoyed that soulless boring Spielberg pandering garbage Super 8

Jmanghan
I might get into this.

...Maybe.

I saw the fight scene between Johnathan and Steve.

Scribble
Yeah, the fight between Steve and Johnahthahn was pretty good.

Ridley_Prime
I liked that fight just on how relateable it was alone.

queeq

However, you're taking my original comment out of context. I meant it as a compliment, not as a cross-media comparison. That you didn't like one doesn't erase the similarities, nor does a comparison of the two cheapen the cool, original ways that Stranger Things isn't like Super 8.

I agree.... Super 8 harked back strongly to the 80s movies like ET and Close Encounters. ST harks back to many movies from the era and the style: a LOT of ET, The Goonies, Stand by Me, It.... etc etc...

It is VERY much a homage series in the style of Super 8.

Impediment
This was a fun series to watch, but not as great as the hype led me to believe. Still a good watch and recommended.

Darth Thor
Cool show. Perhaps a bit overhyped, but enjoyable nonetheless and great nostalgia to classic 80's films/shows.

So I take it the one Jonathon, Nancy and Steve fought was different to the one Eleven killed..

jaden101
9Egf5U8xLo8

Robtard
Have my doubts, thinking this show could be a single-season-wonder. Still going to watch it though.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Robtard
Have my doubts, thinking this show could be a single-season-wonder. Still going to watch it though.

Yeah, it will be hard to live up to the first season, but I am still hoping they can pull it off.

staxamillion
I think the hype was right...

everyone and the aunt told me to watch it before I actually did. and I have to say I haven't been that impressed in awhile. I really liked the way

Stranger Things delivered in spades all the things that mattered; I was happy, I was sad, I was scared and most of all they made me care.

as was stated earlier.

probably my top on Netflix originals as being just a great all around show. I loved the Marvel shows too but ST just has it all.

BruceSkywalker
i still need to finish this up

Trocity
Just finished the first season.

Very overrated show. Not a bad show, but not particularly good either. Definitely not the best netflix original, as many claimed it was.

Patient_Leech
Watched the first episode of this last night. I was impressed. Intrigued enough to keep watching.

Toto's "Africa" in the first episode... laughing out loud

Aliens?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/d3/07/d4d307162dbdbf58980cf18f0fc72787.jpg

Surtur
Originally posted by Trocity
Just finished the first season.

Very overrated show. Not a bad show, but not particularly good either. Definitely not the best netflix original, as many claimed it was.

I have to agree, it's not bad..but I did not find it as utterly amazing as some did. For me I got less interested as the season went on, the first few episodes drew me in far more than the later ones.

I will watch the second season though.

Surtur
Watched the first episode of this last night. I was impressed. Intrigued enough to keep watching.

Toto's "Africa" in the first episode... laughing out loud

When it comes to music it seems everybody is using the Stranger Things theme song in their youtube videos these days. The theme does seem to perfectly capture the essence of the story and time period.

Patient_Leech
Only 3 more episodes left on this and rather enjoying it. It's superbly directed with great performances, especially Wynona Rider and the kids. It's a fun show so far. Hope the last few episodes don't ruin it.

It reminds me of a combination of...

The X-Files - mysterious paranormal activity
Twin Peaks - 'death' of a kid in a small town
Kung Fury - the 80s music and vibes

Surtur
Yeah and of course now..Twin Peaks is coming back lol.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah and of course now..Twin Peaks is coming back lol.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'll probably give it a chance, but it's gonna have to step up its game to compete with the rest of the competition these days.

Sixth episode of this, "The Monster" was really good. Only 2 more episodes left. Highly enjoyable show...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/d3/07/d4d307162dbdbf58980cf18f0fc72787.jpg

I was right! They're not necessarily extraterrestrial aliens, but they're still aliens! They're extra-dimensional aliens! Happy Dance

Patient_Leech
Finished this show. Really enjoyed it. Extremely well done.

Kind of a predictable, cliched ending, but still in a fun way. Will be excited for Season 2.

Wonder if they'll continue the alternate dimension story arc or if they'll do something different.

Patient_Leech
Did anyone notice that when they were in the Upside Down at the end that they saw Barbara there in the same place Will was, but they just skipped right past her, "Oh, well, you're an unattractive ginger, no need to try to save you..." then they found Will and never even bothered again with Barb.

So sad. sad

Ridley_Prime
I noticed that too actually, haha. They just forgot about her, whether intentional or not.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, so what the hell? Why aren't Unattractive Female Gingers (UFGs?) rising up in protest?

It's a beloved show, so I guess everyone decided to ignore it.

staxamillion
I was thinking that since she was so cocooned up that she was too far gone

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by staxamillion
I was thinking that since she was so cocooned up that she was too far gone

Maybe I should go back and look again, but she was taken far more recently than Will was. Still doesn't make sense to not even attempt to help her.

Who will speak up for the UFGs?? sad

Surtur
Yeah, so what the hell? Why aren't Unattractive Female Gingers (UFGs?) rising up in protest?

They are self aware enough to realize nobody would care. I'm sure the second Barb got taken she knew that either this monster thing is going to willingly return her or she's not coming back at all.

There was a young white male at risk, so people had more important things to do than worry about her.

Patient_Leech
There was a young white male at risk, so people had more important things to do than worry about her.
Yeah, true story.

Some info on the monster/villain for Season 2 premiering in October...

http://www.blastr.com/2017-6-9/stranger-things-new-monster-makes-demogorgon-look-chump-change?__source=Blastr_Vayner_Syfy_Facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=strangerthings_newmonsters&utm_term=t5_lookalike&utm_content=link_ad

Surtur
Yeah, true story.

Some info on the monster/villain for Season 2 premiering in October...

http://www.blastr.com/2017-6-9/stranger-things-new-monster-makes-demogorgon-look-chump-change?__source=Blastr_Vayner_Syfy_Facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=strangerthings_newmonsters&utm_term=t5_lookalike&utm_content=link_ad

If they wanna keep in line with stuff from D&D if the season 1 villain was Demogorgon this must be some kind of Obyrith.

Patient_Leech
Oct 27 bitches...

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/stranger-things-premiere-date-october-27-netflix-1202491839/

carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4

Love the soundtrack, music, and these kids can act. Extremely psyched for this

Surtur
Yeah, thriller was a nice touch.

Patient_Leech
Eh, I want to watch the trailer, but I might as well not. I'm gonna watch the show.

MJ's Thriller is in the trailer?

Surtur
Eh, I want to watch the trailer, but I might as well not. I'm gonna watch the show.

MJ's Thriller is in the trailer?

Yeah, but kind of a remixed version. It's one of the best trailers I've seen. It doesn't spoil too much. It is pretty epic.

Patient_Leech
^ fair enough. You convinced me. I watched everything except the last like 20 or 30 seconds. Good trailer indeed.

Surtur
Though I have to say I don't get the love for Barb. She was meh to me.

Patient_Leech
Though I have to say I don't get the love for Barb. She was meh to me.

Well, yeah. I mean, me neither. She's an Unattractive Female Ginger (UFG). lol. But she's still human! And the attractive girl liked her, so the show should have at least had a little bit more mourning for her.

Surtur
Well, yeah. I mean, me neither. She's an Unattractive Female Ginger (UFG). lol. But she's still human! And the attractive girl liked her, so the show should have at least had a little bit more mourning for her.

She was totally that girls DUFF(designated ugly fat friend), that is why she was so upset when she was gone.

But at Comic-Con they created a memorial for her, lol. The fans probably mourned her more than people in the show.

I'm also shocked that they actually were able to use the song "Thriller" in the trailer.

Dreampanther
Let the binge begin. Episode 1: MADMAX

Ridley_Prime
Watched the first episode of S2 last night before going to sleep. Pretty good. Gonna try to watch the rest at my own pace rather than binge.

Surtur
Eh, finished it. Decent, but I feel like in the first season the nostalgia kinda just crept up on you. Here they just want to bash you over the head with it. Especially if people remember a certain scene that was in reference to "Aliens" from this latest season.

Lestov16
Just got done binging the 2nd season. It was arguably even better than the first.

I loved pretty much everything about the season, including the "demonic possession/exorcism" of Will, the Demogorgon outbreak, the backstory of Jane "Eleven" Ives. I found the Mind Flayer to be similar both to Cthulu and several recent "Hive Mind monsters" based villains such as Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow. I enjoyed the fact that unlike the first season, the head scientist in this is actually a decent guy. Sean Astin was quirky and funny and his death was both shocking and saddening. I liked Max and her psycho brother, although I'm hoping the third season gives him some more redemptive moments. Steve was great and made a great wingman for the team. I enjoyed the actualization of Mike/Jane, Nancy/Jonathan, and Lucas/Max, and I liked how it really with Steve and Dustin undergoing the hardship of rejection. I love how they took the house decorating theme to the next level with Will's map drawings. I enjoyed how they tied Barb's death into the plot. Eleven and Eight made for an entertaining short lived team, and I hope we see a reformed or evil Eight in Season 3. And obviously, the ending with Jane Hopper being able to live freely and date Mike was heartwarming. The Cliffhanger shows the Mind Flayer hovering in the Upside Down. Now that Jane seems to have officially closed the portal, I wonder how the Mind Flayer will be able to terrorize Hawkins in S3.

Surtur
Originally posted by Lestov16
Just got done binging the 2nd season. It was arguably even better than the first.

I loved pretty much everything about the season, including the "demonic possession/exorcism" of Will, the Demogorgon outbreak, the backstory of Jane "Eleven" Ives. I found the Mind Flayer to be similar both to Cthulu and several recent "Hive Mind monsters" based villains such as Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow. I enjoyed the fact that unlike the first season, the head scientist in this is actually a decent guy. Sean Astin was quirky and funny and his death was both shocking and saddening. I liked Max and her psycho brother, although I'm hoping the third season gives him some more redemptive moments. Steve was great and made a great wingman for the team. I enjoyed the actualization of Mike/Jane, Nancy/Jonathan, and Lucas/Max, and I liked how it really with Steve and Dustin undergoing the hardship of rejection. I love how they took the house decorating theme to the next level with Will's map drawings. I enjoyed how they tied Barb's death into the plot. Eleven and Eight made for an entertaining short lived team, and I hope we see a reformed or evil Eight in Season 3. And obviously, the ending with Jane Hopper being able to live freely and date Mike was heartwarming. The Cliffhanger shows the Mind Flayer hovering in the Upside Down. Now that Jane seems to have officially closed the portal, I wonder how the Mind Flayer will be able to terrorize Hawkins in S3.

Yeah, I also liked the fact that the doctor turned out to be good. I liked Bob as well and it sucked to see him go. The character of Steve did get better, I kept thinking they were going to kill him, that he'd sacrifice himself to save the kids he was "babysitting". But he made it through.

steverules_2
Can 8 open the gate?

Rhyming, I just figured out series 3 cool

Surtur
Originally posted by steverules_2
Can 8 open the gate?

Rhyming, I just figured out series 3 cool

Or it could be that other numbers can, we know there are at least 11.

Surtur
So apparently the character of Bob was originally going to turn out different:
he was set to die in the 3rd episode via getting mind screwed by Will after the scene where he tells him to stand up to the mindflayer. But I guess Sean Astin was so good in the role they expanded it.

Rebel95
Binge watched both seasons in 3 days. Really enjoyed it, reminded me a lot of Lost, and that part where Eleven closes the gate reminded me of Pacific Rim lol

|King Joker|
The acting in this show is honestly pretty phenomenal. Someone needs to get an Emmy.

ares834

Digi
E07 was the polarizing one for many, but the rest of the season - good as it was - was a very literal copy of S1. I don't get why people are so reticent to creative risks. E7 wasn't bad, it was just different than what we were used to seeing. But seriously, the rest was pretty identical: Will has crossover powers with the upside-down and the gang piece together clues from him to solve the mystery of the monster and how to get him back. The character that everyone knows was created just to be killed off, does get killed off. Steve hits stuff with his bat, Hopper is jaded and angry but with a good heart, Wynona acts manic as ****. And 11 comes in and Mary Sue's the big bad with tk powers. That description works perfectly for either season.

E7 was the only original thing in the season, and I say that as a fan of this season. They're going to stagnate if they don't attempt to branch out, and 11 is the logical choice to begin world-building with.

Patient_Leech
Want to start this show soon...

Surtur
Originally posted by |King Joker|
The acting in this show is honestly pretty phenomenal. Someone needs to get an Emmy.

From some...yes.

Am I the only one who doesn't think "11" is a very good actress? She essentially has an angry face and a sad face and that seems to be it. The only interesting thing about her was her storyline with Hopper.

Likewise, am I the only one who just finds "Will" unlikable? Mike kinda is too lol. And Johnathan, when you think about it. The people who are supposed to be tools become interesting(Steve) meanwhile "introvert" Johnathan is just an angry douche it seems.

Patient_Leech
Started this last night. Just saw the first episode so far.

Paul Reiser has gotten old and fat. I wonder if I would have recognized him if i didn't see his name pop up. I guess I remember him best from Aliens, when he was younger and skinnier. Anyway, the stuff about Will being treated as if he has post-traumatic stress disorder was the most interesting thing about the first episode, but of course as a viewer I have to suspect it goes much deeper than that. I hope the rest of the show gets more interesting, because it just felt like way too much jumping around to different characters. Perhaps they're just re-establishing everyone and it'll settle in to a flow in an episode or two.

How much time has passed since the end of season 1? Anyone know? If they said I missed it..

Stringer
Loved season 2. The cinematography alone was masterful.

Surtur
Started this last night. Just saw the first episode so far.

Paul Reiser has gotten old and fat. I wonder if I would have recognized him if i didn't see his name pop up. I guess I remember him best from Aliens, when he was younger and skinnier. Anyway, the stuff about Will being treated as if he has post-traumatic stress disorder was the most interesting thing about the first episode, but of course as a viewer I have to suspect it goes much deeper than that. I hope the rest of the show gets more interesting, because it just felt like way too much jumping around to different characters. Perhaps they're just re-establishing everyone and it'll settle in to a flow in an episode or two.

How much time has passed since the end of season 1? Anyone know? If they said I missed it..

Mike says the number of days since he last saw 11 was like 352.

Patient_Leech
Finished episode 5 now and it's a good season so far I guess, but it does feel like a retread of season 1 in a lot of ways. It won't work for a third season, so I think they'll need to come up with a fresh approach if they plan to continue.

Oh, the worm that Will hacked up at the end of Season 1 that Dustin has been taking care of: the thing barely grew at all for a year and suddenly decided to eat a cat? And it's also kind of funny that Dustin was treating it like a pet hamster.. lol

Patient_Leech
Finished up Season 2 last night. It ended up having some pretty fun pay-offs and actually got a bit more gory than I was expecting. Overall it's still somewhat forgettable, though, unless they finally get around to explaining more about this other dimension. I'm curious what it is and what else inhabits it.

Firefly218
E07 was the polarizing one for many, but the rest of the season - good as it was - was a very literal copy of S1. I don't get why people are so reticent to creative risks. E7 wasn't bad, it was just different than what we were used to seeing. But seriously, the rest was pretty identical: Will has crossover powers with the upside-down and the gang piece together clues from him to solve the mystery of the monster and how to get him back. The character that everyone knows was created just to be killed off, does get killed off. Steve hits stuff with his bat, Hopper is jaded and angry but with a good heart, Wynona acts manic as ****. And 11 comes in and Mary Sue's the big bad with tk powers. That description works perfectly for either season.

E7 was the only original thing in the season, and I say that as a fan of this season. They're going to stagnate if they don't attempt to branch out, and 11 is the logical choice to begin world-building with. This is a startlingly bad take on S2

Adam Grimes
It sounds like Digi's complain is that the characters keep acting in character?

quanchi112
Both seasons are extremely entertaining. I never understood the bitching about originality, tone, etc. It either works or doesn't.

Surtur
For me the complaint is forced nostalgia. In the first season it seemed to flow into the series easily. In second season it's all "LOOK, IT'S THE 80s! YOU SEE? GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!!".

Patient_Leech
This is a startlingly bad take on S2

It's a pretty fair take, actually. Not much was really developed with the show in season 2. Even the other character who has the same powers as 11 was sort of underused and could have made for a more intriguing story. While still entertaining it's a stagnation in storytelling.

Season 3 is going to need a fresher direction.

Flyattractor
First Season was Pretty Fun. Hope the 2nd can keep it up. Monster Design was kind of weak. The Flower Head didn't really do it for me.
Eleven did geeky misfit really cool.

BackFire
I enjoyed the second season, but I thought the first was definitely better. Hope the third season can approach the first.

Flyattractor
2nd Season was good but it was really kind of a movie sequel.
Same as the first just slightly bigger budget but didn't really bring much to the table.

Really hope they don't just make 11 the Way to Solve All the Really Big Problems every time.

That and I don't really give a shit about her little love affair with Mick. I don't want to watch 12 year old get their SEX on.....unlike Backfire....

BackFire
laughing out loud

I actually agree, very much. They need to change things up in the third season. I'd really like to see them get away from the upside down and do something new.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
laughing out loud

I actually agree, very much. They need to change things up in the third season. I'd really like to see them get away from the upside down and do something new.

Like go to Afghanistan and fight against the U.S.S.R. alongside then US ally Osama bin Laden?

BackFire
Yes that.

But there's so many things they could do. They could make the show a new X-Files type episode, but instead of a monster of the week episodes they could do monster of the week seasons - full arcs that last a season or two and then they move on to the next one. Maybe they could do one about some crazy cult that moves into the town or something.

Flyattractor
That or just make the town a weird magnet due to the tear, or what ever it was called.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Robtard
Like go to Afghanistan and fight against the U.S.S.R. alongside then US ally Osama bin Laden?

And when they grow up the can join those Same Brave U.S Forces and Put a Bullet thru his head too!

God Bless Ameirca!

And Damn all Limp No Nutted Leftist Fascists!!!!!

Galan007
Season 3 is delayed until summer 2019:
https://comicbook.com/horror/2018/07/29/stranger-things-season-3-release-date-delay-netflix/

samhain
The kids will all look about 40 by the time it comes out.

Ridley_Prime
Having it in the summer instead of October will be kinda... different.

Stranger Things was gonna have a TellTale game around then too, but since TellTale recently went bankrupt, R.I.P.

Galan007
Yeah, I much prefer the Seasons being released in October. Adds...I dunno...a different sort of aura to the episodes, imo. /shrug

They also recently started publishing a Stranger Things comic series. It is currently exploring what happened to Will when he was trapped in the Upside Down in Season 1.

Flyattractor
Hopefully they can do something diff this season compared to the last 2.

Patient_Leech
Ah fu#k. There's a Season 3 on the way? I hope people stop watching if they don't have something new this time. Season 2 was actually pretty terrible.

Flyattractor
Eh... It weren't Horrible,but it def didn't do anything they didn't do in the first season.

Ridley_Prime
Season 3 confirmed July 4th.

https://twitter.com/stranger_things/status/1079965762738184192?s=21

Also happy new year.

Galan007
Season 3 trailer:

YEG3bmU_WaI

jaden_2.0
Yay. Certainly looks like they've ramped the budget up for season 3.

NemeBro
Who here's ready for Steve to get his second chance at Valhalla by getting another shot at the final boss of the story, Billy?

Galan007
Puberty hit those kids hard this season.

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
Who here's ready for Steve to get his second chance at Valhalla by getting another shot at the final boss of the story, Billy?

Just seeing Billy in the trailer made me wanna punch his face.

Though I will say I enjoyed the season 2 thriller trailer way more than this one, but then that one is hard to top.

One Big Mob
Now it's just a show with adults

samhain
One or two of the kids have gotten grotesque enough due to puberty that they could play this seasons monster. Save millions on the effects budget.

Galan007
I also heard that season 3 is only supposed to take place like 6 months after season 2.

Lol if true.

Surtur
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Now it's just a show with adults

Psshh this doesn't matter. Hollywood routinely has people in their mid-late 20s playing teens.

Ridley_Prime
Or 30 year olds playing high school students.

Surtur
The 2nd season took place around Halloween, so since the 3rd is around July 4th...yeah, probably 8 months later.

Galan007
V3L1qrisKFE

Lol, Mike's mom wants that dick bad.

samhain
Really hate the character of Billy, but I realize I'm supposed to, so it's tolerable. Have to give the actor credit for encapsulating an 80's douchebag so perfectly.

Galan007
I'd like him better if he just phucked mike's mom, tbh.

Flyattractor
Hopefully they can spice up the story arc this season. Last was good but was to similar to the first. Hope they can avoid the "We Can't Stop It, We Can't Stop It.. Oh there is Eleven. Problem Solved" Trope.

Surtur
They are bringing back New Coke over this lol.

What a dumb decision.

Flyattractor
Would be fun to see the Kids do the PVC Challenge!

https://radius.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/peps-vs-coke-challenge.png

Tzeentch
I want Billy to cum on my face

Surtur
https://i.imgur.com/EgrhcsW.jpg

Flyattractor
Strong Dislike of Billy?

Lord Lucien
They are bringing back New Coke over this lol.

What a dumb decision. That's what they said with OG New Coke. But it was all a cunning plan!

Galan007
Final trailer:

XcnHOQ-cHa0

Surtur
Less than 2 weeks to go. I'm gonna rewatch the 2nd season so it's fresh in my mind.

Patient_Leech
Looks like it might be a little better than the 2nd season.

2nd season felt like rehash.

Flyattractor
Looks like it might be a little better than the 2nd season.

2nd season felt like rehash.

This is true.

Hope they can avoid the "And 11 just shows up and Stops the Big Bad" trope this time.

samhain
I've got a feeling one of the main characters will die this season. If it ends up being the final season they could possibly kill off Eleven but I doubt they'd kill off one of the younger kids. Steve would be the most likely candidate. It just seems like it's about that time in a shows evolution for a big character to die.

Galan007
I'm just kind of surprised the trailer revealed as much as it did.

Billy acts as a vessel for the Mind Flayer, who plans on opening another portal to the Upside Down and overtaking the world.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, would have liked that to be kept from us but w/e. It's looking really good.

Flyattractor
At least I can hopefully look forward to some F13 Comments and Easter Eggs in this series.

Ridley_Prime
Just finished season 3. The show's still got it. Pretty much remains a 10/10 for me, almost feeling like it can do no wrong. That ending though... sad

Patient_Leech
I watched the first episode of Season 3 last night. It was good so far.

Surtur
I'm on episode 4, liking it so far.

Galan007
Great season. Definitely a huge step up from S2... Love the 80s nostalgia, as always.

No way Hopper's dead, imo.

Flyattractor
Some Strange-er Things?

eD4V-kLSVYU

steverules_2
Originally posted by Galan007

No way Hopper's dead, imo.

I don't think he is either

Do you think being in front of that electric outburst from the machine or whatever protected him and sent him to upside down or something?

Galan007
Yeah, we never actually saw him die. I think he was displaced when the machine went kablooey, and somehow ended up with the Russians. I think he was "the American" they were talking about at the end.

carthage
Loved it
Great soundtrack. And the characters having matured a bit added a lot more depth to their performances. This has rapidly become one of my favorite shows. I think one more season should be a good closer

steverules_2
Yeah, we never actually saw him die. I think he was displaced when the machine went kablooey, and somehow ended up with the Russians. I think he was "the American" they were talking about at the end.

And me

samhain
Yeah it was really obvious, the only reason they didn't show the character at the end is probably because the actor wants to get into shape for the next season. 3 months in a Russian prison the weight would have fallen off I imagine. Glad they didn't get Mike's mother to hook up with Billy though, as I think it would have taken away the slight sympathy you have for her as a long-standing/suffering bored housewife. Good decision from the writers I think.

Galan007
thumb up

I also wonder how long they'll keep Eleven depowered? She was wickedly powerful this season...

Surtur
Yeah it was really obvious, the only reason they didn't show the character at the end is probably because the actor wants to get into shape for the next season. 3 months in a Russian prison the weight would have fallen off I imagine. Glad they didn't get Mike's mother to hook up with Billy though, as I think it would have taken away the slight sympathy you have for her as a long-standing/suffering bored housewife. Good decision from the writers I think.

For some reason it was only this season that I noticed...oh that's "Faye" from Mad Men.

Galan007
See, I was hoping Billy would knock the dust off of that, but alas...

samhain
thumb up

I also wonder how long they'll keep Eleven depowered? She was wickedly powerful this season...

I was hoping for an appearance by the other powered girl at some point, the one from last season, Eight or whatever. Would be nice if we get a bit more resolution on that next season.

One Big Mob
Blanker looked back at the hole to the blankside down before the machine blanked up.

Pretty obvious he made a break for it as his only option and the Blankssians had connections to the Blankmerican hole.

Wanted Steve to tag the lesbo and Billy to tag Mike's mom though.

Tzeentch
I want to get raped by Billy Hargrove shrug

samhain
Felt sorry for Steve when the girl revealed she was a lesbian, although she's a bit of a douche to him especially at the beginning so she's not good enough for him anyways.

steverules_2
Felt sorry for Steve when the girl revealed she was a lesbian

Story of my damn life mad

Did anyone else want Billy to survive or just me?

Galan007
I was hoping for an appearance by the other powered girl at some point, the one from last season, Eight or whatever. Would be nice if we get a bit more resolution on that next season. I'll be surprised if they go there again, only because that little side-story was thoroughly hated by most fans.

...The comics(which I'm assuming are canon) are covering it pretty extensively, though. It has been revealed that there were literally dozens/hundreds of other psi-children at Brenner's lab over the years.

Originally posted by steverules_2
Story of my damn life mad

Did anyone else want Billy to survive or just me? I did. Seemed like he was going to get redemption... Then he died. sad

Adam Grimes
Ethan Hawke's daughter is smashable as phuck. thumb up

Galan007
Yeah, she's cute. thumb up

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>