Hacksaw Ridge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Director: Mel Gibson

Stars: Andrew Garfield, Vince Vaughn, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Hugo Weaving, Ryan Corr, Teresa Palmer, Richard Pyros and Rachel Griffiths.

XGnrsGYZjZM

jaden101
Run Forrest, Run

Kazenji
Andrew Garfield sounds like Eugene from The Walking Dead.

Esau Cairn
Would make a great Spidey Origin tale.

Patient_Leech
I'm a little tired of WWII period pieces, but I will see anything Mel Gibson. This looks good. Premise sounds very interesting.

Patient_Leech
Saw a raving review for this. I think it's gonna be a good one.

riv6672
Gibson's a good director, i'll give him that, and this does seem interesting.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
Gibson's a good director...
Understatement of the year. wink

Patient_Leech
I really wanna get out and see this soon, but no time this weekend...

Certified Fresh on RT as I expected.

https://staticv2.rottentomatoes.com/static/images/icons/cf-lg.png

Kazenji
JESpdoQCusQ

marwash22
how many #PacksOfNiggers are in this movie?

wakkawakkawakka
Do Japanese soldiers count? no expression

Oh and this movie was pretty darn good. Do find it funny how these American heroes are being played by British and Australian actors for the most part.

Also Mel Gibson was able to squeeze out a mostly decent performance out of Sam Worthington so that's a showcase of director talent in itself IMO.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Do Japanese soldiers count? no expression

Oh and this movie was pretty darn good. Do find it funny how these American heroes are being played by British and Australian actors for the most part.

Also Mel Gibson was able to squeeze out a mostly decent performance out of Sam Worthington so that's a showcase of director talent in itself IMO.

Where was the movie filmed? That might have something to do with it.

That and Brits and Ozzies are really good at doing southern and hick american accents for some reason....

Patient_Leech
Saw this last night. Pretty blown away. Amazing true story and incredibly well acted. Hugo Weaving, Vince Vaughn, and Sam Worthington especially. Very Full Metal Jacket inspired, too, which makes it even better.

Makes Saving Private Ryan look like a walk in the f**king park.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Where was the movie filmed? That might have something to do with it.

That and Brits and Ozzies are really good at doing southern and hick american accents for some reason....

Filmed here in Oz.

At least it's better than American actors playing Greek heroes...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Filmed here in Oz.

Are you the wizard of Oz?? Or is it Kaz?

Tzeentch
The pacing was atrocious, the "romance" sub-plot was vapid crap and every character that wasn't played by Garfield, Vince Vaughn or Hugo Weaving might as well have not existed for how one-dimensional they were.

Still, I enjoyed the film immensely. Great cinematography and well-directed, visceral action scenes. Would definitely recommend a watch on the big-screen.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Are you the wizard of Oz?? Or is it Kaz?

Kaz is Toto to my Dorothy.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The pacing was atrocious, the "romance" sub-plot was vapid crap and every character that wasn't played by Garfield, Vince Vaughn or Hugo Weaving might as well have not existed for how one-dimensional they were.

I disagree with the pacing. A little slow to get started, but I think the romance was pretty necessary to establish his desire to get married. But once Boot Camp started it never really let up. I really didn't feel like there was a moment wasted. And about the supporting characters: you can't really expect every minor character to have a huge arc. Sam Worthington had an arc and many of the other characters did too, because they all came to greatly admire the man who they first questioned and disrespected.

And Hugo Weaving playing his father was fascinating because he was devastated to see his sons go to war, but he ultimately was who helped pardon him so he could serve and do so without ever touching a firearm.

I will say that some of the battle sequences got a little samey, but it's really a pretty minor nitpick. It was necessary to tell the story properly. Ultimately the film is extremely successful at accomplishing what it set out to do, which is tell the inspiring story of this man.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Kaz is Toto to my Dorothy.

So are you the wicked witch of the far east? confused

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
JESpdoQCusQ

I watched their review and I agree with pretty much everything they say. I think they are right, if Mel had nothing to do with this, it would probably be getting massive Oscar nominations. This is an extremely powerful film and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it. Very, very good.

If I was to nitpick I might say some longer shots without edits during the battle scenes might have absorbed you more and really put you into the battle, but that would have changed the impact in a way, too, so it's hard to say. My point is it's hard to give a movie a perfect 10/10, but the film definitely deserves it. That's just major nitpicking.

I will undoubtedly be buying this Blu-ray.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I watched their review and I agree with pretty much everything they say. I think they are right, if Mel had nothing to do with this, it would probably be getting massive Oscar nominations. This is an extremely powerful film and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it. Very, very good.

If I was to nitpick I might say some longer shots without edits during the battle scenes might have absorbed you more and really put you into the battle, but that would have changed the impact in a way, too, so it's hard to say. My point is it's hard to give a movie a perfect 10/10, but the film definitely deserves it. That's just major nitpicking.

I will undoubtedly be buying this Blu-ray. Best war movie IYO?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Best war movie IYO?

I tend not to make major claims like that.

That being said, I think in its own way it's definitely up there with Braveheart in impact and importance. And Braveheart won a bunch of awards, including Best Picture.

carthage
Torn between seeing this and Arrival

Patient_Leech
Haven't seen The Arrival, but you can't go wrong with Mel Gibson. He knows how to make a f#cking motion picture. I'll see everything he does on the big screen.

playa1258
This movie was great. The best movie I have seen this year and that includes Arrival and Civil War. Best war movie since SPR.

Kazenji
Went and seen this movie, A good war movie, Not sure if i can give it a 10/10 like alot of places i've seen

lots of Aussie actor's in the movie besides the ones that have been shown in the trailer's, Sam Worthington, Hugo Weaving & Racheal Griffiths.

dynamix
saw this last night, and man....such an awesome movie. i hope garfield gets nominated for best actor. He deserves it.

Jmanghan
Is this anything like Heartbreak Ridge?

I just saw "Hacksaw" and assumed.

Kazenji
Nothing alike.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.