8 Hour Work Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Is the eight hour workday too much? Does it work and what would be a better alternative?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/business/Screen%20Shot%202012-06-25%20at%205.10.23%20PM.png

From the graph above which i stole from google it shows how little of our adult lives are spent at home or with loved ones. Just curious if their are other systems that people use that a more productive without sacrificing so much time.

Stigma
Yeah, maybe something better could be deviced. But then again, you have the weekends to make up for the time not spend with the loved ones.

Flyattractor
Man Up is the phrase that comes to mind on this subject....

walshy
Start a family business, sorted

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Is the eight hour workday too much? Yes. /thread

MS Warehouse
Probably. I'd say 35 hour work weeks need to be instituted but no less.

Lord Lucien
I want a 30 hour work week. But I also want machines and robots to start doing all of our menial jobs and chores. Like truck driving. Or construction working. Leaves more time for doing whatever. And less room for people.

snowdragon
.....edited

krisblaze
I know some places have had a lot of success with 6-7 hour days. Success as in no real loss of productivity and increased employee happiness.

There's some talk of doing 4 days at 9 hours instead of 5 days at 7-8.

MS Warehouse
My parents both do 4 days at 10 hours, which they find even more exhausting than 8 hours/5 days a week. I know there are some European countries that work much less and take siestas and all that crap, but their economy is a reflection of those reduced hours and efficiency.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yes. /thread

thumb up

Flyattractor
Originally posted by walshy
Start a family business, sorted

But if you do that You are going to be working 24/7!

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by Flyattractor
But if you do that You are going to be working 24/7!

It all depends on how long it takes you to automate certain tasks. You may be doing that for a year or two but after that, you may be working 3-4 hours a day.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by MS Warehouse
It all depends on how long it takes you to automate certain tasks. You may be doing that for a year or two but after that, you may be working 3-4 hours a day.

Or Achive the dream and just start some interweb company run it for a year and then sell it for BILLIONS to da GoogleMiesters...

riv6672
Is the eight hour workday too much? Does it work and what would be a better alternative?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/business/Screen%20Shot%202012-06-25%20at%205.10.23%20PM.png

From the graph above which i stole from google it shows how little of our adult lives are spent at home or with loved ones. Just curious if their are other systems that people use that a more productive without sacrificing so much time.
Is 8 hours too much?
Maybe.
But.
It is what it is.

I worked an average 12-14 hour day (two of those hours spent outdoors exercising no matter the weather) for 20+ years, with 24 duty at least twice a month (no overtime) and was deployed to warzones for months or a years at a time.
I have little sympathy for anyone that moans about a 9-5 job in anything other than a rhetorical sense.

Surtur
To put it another way, if you get 8 hours of sleep per day and you live until the age of 90 you will have slept for 30 of those years.

snowdragon
Originally posted by riv6672
Is 8 hours too much?
Maybe.
But.
It is what it is.

I worked an average 12-14 hour day (two of those hours spent outdoors exercising no matter the weather) for 20+ years, with 24 duty at least twice a month (no overtime) and was deployed to warzones for months or a years at a time.
I have little sympathy for anyone that moans about a 9-5 job in anything other than a rhetorical sense.

For less the minimum wage after all the hours are accounted for.

MS Warehouse
Is 8 hours too much?
Maybe.
But.
It is what it is.

thumb up

Flyattractor

1.2 Hours caring for others? In this day and age....I seriously doubt it.

Sin I AM
1.2 Hours caring for others? In this day and age....I seriously doubt it.
Children

Flyattractor
Children

.............mpphhBWAHAHAHAHA

funny.

riv6672
Originally posted by snowdragon
For less the minimum wage after all the hours are accounted for.
Never seemed that way; great benefits, and, i racked up a lot of hazardous duty pay.
Again, no sympathy here for 9-5ers.
No envy though, either; i rather liked my job despite the sacrifices. In regards to the thread just pointing out it could always be worse.
Hell, i read somewhere Napoleon tried to institute a ten day week. Now THAT Would suck, Work-wise!

Adam Grimes
I have a close friend of mine that works 12 hours 6 days a week for half the minimum wage in my country.

He's an idiot though.

riv6672
Thats okay, we have one running for President.

Flyattractor
....Only ONE??

riv6672
Yeah, just Trump.

Flyattractor
Yeah. Guess that is true.. The Hilldawg aint dumb....Horribly Horribly Crooked and Corrupt but she aint totally a dumb ass.....not totally...

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I have a close friend

He's an idiot

laughing out loud

riv6672
Yeah. Guess that is true.. The Hilldawg aint dumb....Horribly Horribly Crooked and Corrupt but she aint totally a dumb ass.....not totally...
Given the two choices, i'm going for crooked and corrupt.

MS Warehouse

Crooked, corrupt, and a technological idiot* Yea good luck with your choice thumb up

MS Warehouse
edit

Flyattractor

So Riv is going to go with this philosophy....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/politics-couple-partner-husband-lesser_of_two_evils-votes-vsh0188_low.jpg

riv6672
I'm doing the opposite, actually. I believe Trump is too dtupid and volatile to be in office.

riv6672
Originally posted by MS Warehouse
Crooked, corrupt, and a technological idiot* Yea good luck with your choice thumb up
I dont care enough about politics to get into prolinged debate on the subject.

Flyattractor
Yeah I hate Politics and view it as a necessary evil. Its local Vote for your fav idiots day....I would go vote but there is a wave of new jokers all going for a few spots. I would go vote but it would just be a case of Eeny Meanie Minne Moe...

riv6672
I'm voting, mostly to set a good example/so my kids dont give give me shit, and in hopes that SNL will have 4 years of Clintons skits to do...

Flyattractor
I'm voting, mostly to set a good example/so my kids dont give give me shit, and in hopes that SNL will have 4 years of Clintons skits to do...

Ohhh Rivvy Rivvy Rivvy...Yer Kids is gonna give you SHIT no matter what you do.

Parenting 101.

just ask Ol Prof FLY!!!!!!!

riv6672
Damn, i never knew you had kids! eek!

Flyattractor
I don'tz! I just watch all the other lozers that dooo!

Hence the "PROF" PARt!

riv6672
Ha, lucky you! thumb up

Flyattractor
Every once in a great while I feel the "Family" Urges...but I just go visit any oh my shmuck buddies that knocked up their wimmins and now have a litter.....and the feeling goes away!!!!!!!!

riv6672
As long as you raise your kids right (and yeah, that means whupping them when required) they arent too bad.

Flyattractor
.....Oh I could never Whup my kids.....oh hell yeah I could. COME HERE YA LITTLE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

Stigma
Every once in a great while I feel the "Family" Urges...but I just go visit any oh my shmuck buddies that knocked up their wimmins and now have a litter.....and the feeling goes away!!!!!!!! laughing out loud

riv6672
I knew families like that growing up. sick

Americarp
Hardly any of you have jobs. Stop trying to fool other kids into thinking you are adults.

Stigma
TBH 8 hours work day is nothing terrible. Coming to think about it, it also depends if you hate your job or not wink

Flyattractor
At my current job I read comic books and watch cartoons and movies for vast majority of my day.....CAN'T COMPLAIN!!!!

Stigma
At my current job I read comic books and watch cartoons and movies for vast majority of my day.....CAN'T COMPLAIN!!!!
thumb up

riv6672
thumb up

Flyattractor
But I do like to *****....Cause its FUN!

riv6672
Hell yes it is! laughing

krisblaze
Originally posted by Stigma
TBH 8 hours work day is nothing terrible. Coming to think about it, it also depends if you hate your job or not wink

Its a very large part of your day though. Most people commute at the very least 20-30 minutes one way.

Longer days, like they often have in Japan arent necessarily conducive to profit or efficiency.

Stigma
Originally posted by krisblaze
Its a very large part of your day though. Most people commute at the very least 20-30 minutes one way.

Longer days, like they often have in Japan arent necessarily conducive to profit or efficiency.
Oh, I agree. I myself commute to work for about 30-40 minutes.

Indeed, it's more about efficiency than long hours. Good planning and organization can do wonders.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Stigma
Oh, I agree. I myself commute to work for about 30-40 minutes.

Indeed, it's more about efficiency than long hours. Good planning and organization can do wonders.

I feel your pain them.

Like you said spending 8 hours a day on something you enjoy does t sound very bad, but I wonder how many enjoy the daily grind of tjekr profession.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.