Human Evolution in the next Billion years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
I just read the short Story The Last Question by Isaac Asimov and it lead me to think about the concepts behind his story. Where do you imagine human evolution taking place beyond the scale of millennia? Do you figure by the time the sun goes nova we'll have gone beyond our galaxy, perhaps merged our minds with AI or have shed the need for our physical bodies? In the story, no matter how far mankind's descendants have progressed whether they're harnessing the power of suns to becoming a cosmic awareness, we still were unable to stop entropy and the slow death of the Universe. Do you think humankind has it in us to actually reach a level of immortality/becoming completely independent of our bodies?

Sin I AM
That's hard to assess. I would hope we could evolve to a point where traversing the solar system could be as easy as a ride to the grocery store but i dont think immortality is possible

Flyattractor
They made a movie about this....

http://pop-verse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/idiocracy-movie-poster-2006-1020445348.jpg

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by carthage
I just read the short Story The Last Question by Isaac Asimov and it lead me to think about the concepts behind his story. Where do you imagine human evolution taking place beyond the scale of millennia? Do you figure by the time the sun goes nova we'll have gone beyond our galaxy, perhaps merged our minds with AI or have shed the need for our physical bodies? In the story, no matter how far mankind's descendants have progressed whether they're harnessing the power of suns to becoming a cosmic awareness, we still were unable to stop entropy and the slow death of the Universe. Do you think humankind has it in us to actually reach a level of immortality/becoming completely independent of our bodies? Genetic manipulation will come first. Then we'll fuse with machine intelligence. Then we'll unify into a single consciousness. Then we'll (I'll?) merge with the consciousness of the universe itself. Then we'll heat die.

I for one am looking forward to becoming our own robot overlords.

jaden101
(hopefully) somewhere between type II and type III on the Kardashev Scale.
More likely extinct.

Flyattractor
I would hope for a Planet of the Apes Scenario

NewGuy01
We'll evolve into being extinct.

Surtur
At the very least we'll evolve into having increased intelligence. More and more scientists believe in the "big brain bang" which was marked by a sudden burst in intelligence. If it happened once I'm guessing it will happen again in the next billion years or so.

Khazra Reborn
We're probably going to start integrating technology into our biology within the next 30 or so years, then after that it's going to be a total crapshoot.

Flyattractor
People will then die due to forgetting to sign all those update agreements.

Mindship
Qumans, man. Quantum humans. "Q" for short.

Stigma
Originally posted by Mindship
Qumans, man. Quantum humans. "Q" for short.
thumb up

TBH billion years is almost unimaginable period of time. But yeah, if we are going to steadily evolve and manage not to wipe ourselves out, probably Q is the answer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.