How good a duelist was Kas'im?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthbane77
I heard that Kas'im was considered the greatest lightsaber duelist had ever seen up until that point, is that true or is the guy I'm talking to blowing smoke?

DarthAnt66
Darth Bane mused he could have been, but in both and probability and reality Kas'im was just the best of the era.

I think comparisons to him can made to the B-Team, Cin Drallig, and other swordsmasters. He's no Kun, though.

darthbane77
Ah, ok. Because the guy I'm debating on Facebook is trying to say that Kas'im was some legendary duelist, we're debating his dueling skill vs Revan's. I'm on Revan's side obviously.

DarthAnt66
Link? Revan murderstomps Kas'im.

FreshestSlice
Bane never said Kas'im the greatest duelist of all time, just swordsman.

darthbane77
https://www.facebook.com/groups/991683627559611/1157750870952885/?comment_id=1159299620798010&notif_t=like&notif_id=1470257226767895 here's the link.

darthbane77
It started as Revan vs DoE Bane, the debate is with John Mortimer. It's the longes part of the debate on the thread.

Total Warrior
Even jedi/sith weaker than Revan would stomp Kas'im. He's probably around Mundi's level

Deronn_solo
He's one of the most technical proficient duelist ever, but when it comes to actual in combat ability, I would mark him below the likes of a Kit Fisto.

Nephthys
Based on what?

carthage
He's honestly not very good, especially if you consider Bane with less than 8 months of training was driving him back and Kas'im like an incompetent stooge had to resort to sabotaging his training in order to even have a chance (He still died btw).

Any competent swordsman above POD Bane's level would stomp him, and its only the Banebots like Neph and DMB who say otherwise

Beniboybling
Originally posted by darthbane77
I'm debating on FacebookGross. smile

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Nephthys
Based on what?

My person opinion? Enough isn't really known about Kas'im at all, so I mainly rank him some notches off where I rank Dessel as a duelist. I have Bane on Kenobi's tier, but slightly below the man himself. Therefore, I have Kas'im nesting in the same place where Fisto lies, since I find the dropoff between Fisto to Kenobi --- analogous to the one between Bane and Kas.

Feel free to disagree.

darthbane77
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Gross. smile
lol, it's not all bad. There's a few people who know their stuff, not many, but a few.

Darth Abonis
We don't have enough info to gauge his skill, but he was better than a young Bane, so he's probably Cin Drallig level.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
My person opinion? Enough isn't really known about Kas'im at all, so I mainly rank him some notches off where I rank Dessel as a duelist. I have Bane on Kenobi's tier, but slightly below the man himself. Therefore, I have Kas'im nesting in the same place where Fisto lies, since I find the dropoff between Fisto to Kenobi --- analogous to the one between Bane and Kas.

Feel free to disagree. PoD Bane is Kenobi tier? Crumbs. erm

Ascendancy
The quote in the novel about Kas'im possibly having been the greatest duelist to have ever lived up to that point isn't by Bane, it's by the narrator. As I've said in other threads, this is after Kreia has declared that the duelists of her era were as children in comparison to Tulak Hord, so if Kas'im is second rate, then Hord is garbage.

I agree with the above that we don't have enough to truly gauge his ability to the fullest, but the way that people write him off is hilarious.

DarthAnt66
It's from Bane's thoughts, lmfao.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Beniboybling
PoD Bane is Kenobi tier? Crumbs. erm
I meant peak Bane, LMAO.

Beniboybling
Thank God. smile

Ascendancy
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It's from Bane's thoughts, lmfao.

I stand corrected. Regardless, Bane never retracts his statement and there's nothing to show that Kas'im is anything less that top tier with the blade. The duel with Bane was all but won until Bane was able to work his way out of the temple, and nothing about Kas'im's skill was remotely lacking when it came to sabers. It was Force ability that gave him the upper hand. Lsu and Kas'im display some of the greatest blade work in the EU, and that's something I won't change my mind about as nothing in the text describing them says otherwise.

I find it funny that when other Force users demonstrate ability far beyond their years, especially from the Skywalker/Solo camp it's all gravy, but when someone like Bane does it the whole thing is laughed of and people consider Kas'im as having been beaten by nothing but a neophyte who got lucky or something.

Fated Xtasy
Yeah i could see Kasim at Kit Tier, maybe a couple notches below.

I agree with DC tbh

carthage
Kit beating Grievous is beyond anything Kas'im can achieve with a blade

chingchangwalla
Well no matter how good Kas'im actually was, the plot would defeat him anyway... So it's pretty much impossible for him to be above Obi-Wan, Anakin etc.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by carthage
Kit beating Grievous is beyond anything Kas'im can achieve with a blade

Not going to just agree with that. Considering that Kas'im trained the Sith's best during a galaxy-spanning conflict and engaged in said conflict himself his skills are not lacking. The speed and technique he showed in the first book including his duel with Bane speak to this. Again, the biggest problem is that there aren't enough showings to say one way or another where his abilities peaked, but as demonstrated by what we are given and by the prowess of Lsu and her apprentice the best duelists of that age were not lacking. I'd say Lsu would be a definite challenge for Grievous and Kas'im from what can be inferred, but as I've said in literally ever recent thread on the topic there just isn't enough on him to nail down where he stand.

I hope that they make a Bane film trilogy to actually flesh out all that is missing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.