How to Save the DCEU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
With three films under their belt Warner has now more or less established a miniature base with their own filmverse. Yet with Man of Steel at best being divisive amongst critics, and with their flaws of their movies being a ripe source of discussion amongst fans who think they can do better movies. What are some ways you think Warner can save the DCEU from being a bust in future efforts? Would firing Snyder, less destroying edits in films, or more levity work? Or do you think the whole thing needs to be rebooted? What directors/creative controlling forces do you think need to be exerted in the DCEU?

Inhuman
The whole thing needs to be rebooted and hire new people to be in charge with better vision.
As it stands now all they are doing is saturating the market with bad films thus hurting the overall perception of Comic book films.
Look at Sony, they realized they were releasing garbage and they pretty much put a stop to everything.

Also the problem lies in executives and higher ups messing up the films with re-shoots, edits and tampering. Making changes on impulse and desperation. Like forcing a shared universe because of "we want that money and recognition like the other studio" . Forcing humor just because its working for the other studio. Forcing popular music and tone of GOTG to Suicide Squad to appeal to the general audiences because it worked for GOTG, so why not right?

wakkawakkawakka
Not even a reboot would save face with the public considering stuff like Batman being a murderer and "Death of Superman" really can't be undone no matter how much scrubbing DC/WB tries to do. They've just too much negative stuff to deal with that the general public and critics alike aren't just going to forget because the universe is scrapped IMO.

At this point the best we can hope for is that whoever directs the next bunch of films keeps Snyder away from them as much as possible and try getting some decent writers for their screenplays.

-Pr-
They need to set up a "DC studios" type of thing, and to stop being so elseworldy with their stories.

Adapt the characters, yes, but keep a baseline. Batman should be comic Batman, not Frank Miller Batman.

I don't think they need to reboot things, as I think it IS salvageable. They just have to do it soon.

quanchi112
More Snyder. Give the Darth Thors more of what they love.

Zack M
yes

Darth Thor
SS opened to 133million so I don't think they're destroying the superhero movie market Lol If they are there's no signs of that so far. There's only signs that the Biggest Films don't make as much as they would have a few years ago. But that's expected with so many studios pouring out superhero movies all the time (Marvel, Fox, Sony, DC).. And then there's so many other big budget fantasy franchises like SW, Jurassic Park, Avatar, ST.

There's only so many movies most people will see in a year.

So all things considered, DC movies are doing fine, and have some interesting stuff coming up (not talking about Justice League which is being Rushed and Rammed down our throats way too early in this Shared Universe). But they're just in no position to be compared to Marvel. And they won't be until DC actually gets more control over DC movies like Pr said.

Quincy
bullet

BruceSkywalker
two suggestions.. 1. Give all comic book properties to Marvel... and 2.. hire Michael Bay

lets all face no one really cares for the DCEU

Zack M
laughing out loud That's why it broke the August OW record.

juggernaut74
One thing for certain is we know DC can survive making movies that aren't critically acclaimed. I wonder how much money DC movies would make is they were?

Marvel has yet to face that situation. It would be interesting to see how a Marvel movie would do without the critics backing them up.

Zack M
Lol, people are going to continue to have negative views of the DCEU, yet they're generally the first ones in line on Opening weekend. laughing out loud

Zack M
Funny how a team of unknown characters (Mostly) will surpass X-Men: Apocalypse in box office numbers tomorrow. Never thought something like Suicide Squad would surpass an X-Men movie. And I generally liked X-Men Apocalypse a lot.

Darth Thor
OW is good for profit, but doesn't say much about audience reception. That we find out next weekend.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Zack M
Funny how a team of unknown characters (Mostly) will surpass X-Men: Apocalypse in box office numbers tomorrow. Never thought something like Suicide Squad would surpass an X-Men movie. And I generally liked X-Men Apocalypse a lot. It's already surpassed another iconic franchise in Star Trek.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
two suggestions.. 1. Give all comic book properties to Marvel... and 2.. hire Michael Bay

lets all face no one really cares for the DCEU

That's too much sarcasm, even for me.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
It's already surpassed another iconic franchise in Star Trek.

But again it's all OW which means it's all hype. Next week tells us if it's more than that, but all the analysts are predicting relatively weak legs.

Zack M
Originally posted by Darth Thor
But again it's all OW which means it's all hype. Next week tells us if it's more than that, but all the analysts are predicting relatively weak legs.

weak legs doesn't always mean bad reception. SS did a great number yesterday and is predicted to do 300 M domestic. That's pretty good. And before you say DCEU movies don't make much profit, MOS made 300 million in profit. BVS made a little less, but still a lot of money for the studio in the long run. Read this link, it's pretty good.

http://www.mhpbooks.com/guess-what-harry-potter-movies-do-make-money/

quanchi112
You heard it here first that subpar films and more of them is Golgo approved.

Inhuman
laughing out loud That's why it broke the August OW record. Originally posted by Zack M
Lol, people are going to continue to have negative views of the DCEU, yet they're generally the first ones in line on Opening weekend. laughing out loud

http://i.imgur.com/yGkTlT3.gif

quanchi112
I keep telling Golgo it isn't how you start but rather how you finish. He's doomed to humiliate himself over and over again.

jaden101
They should 100% definitely do a sequel to Green Lantern. That was great, wasn't it?

quanchi112
Golgo pull up the numbers and tell us how great the film was according to the younger crowd. Golgo ??

Zack M
Originally posted by Inhuman
http://i.imgur.com/yGkTlT3.gif

It is delicious! stick out tongue

Dr Will Hatch
Have the DCEU be "Earth-3" have the ending of Justice League being the universe destroyed by Darkseid or better yet the Anti-Monitor. Then do a soft reboot where the next film takes place in "Earth One" with a Justice League that actually act like the characters in the comics. Don't involve Snyder. Don't have the WB interfere too much. Have a long term plan of where your movieverse is going like Marvel has.

Nemesis X
Fire Zack Snyder or, at the very least, have him work only the solo films. Anything big like BvS or Justice League Warner will hire someone else to do those instead. Movies like Man of Steel and Suicide Squad are okay but it's not until the crossovers happen I believe Zack's brain goes into meltdown resulting in Dawn of Justice having such a convoluted plot.

Flyattractor
They need to fire Zack S and everybody that Zack S hired, and then they need to fire every one that hired Zack S in the first place. Hell the pretty much need to fire every one in Upper Management at WB in general.

BruceSkywalker
OW is good for profit, but doesn't say much about audience reception. That we find out next weekend.

exactly

Originally posted by -Pr-
That's too much sarcasm, even for me.

big grin stick out tongue stick out tongue

SquallX
Originally posted by quanchi112
You heard it here first that subpar films and more of them is Golgo approved.

Right? Because Captain America the first Avenger was such a great movie? So was the 2 Thor's movies, and the last 2 Iron Man's right?

BruceSkywalker
laughing out loud That's why it broke the August OW record.

you realy do not know anything do you... You must have forgotten how Bats V Supes fell flat on its ass in its second weekend... It doesn't matter what this did on opening weekend, what matters is what it wil do in its 2nd week, 3rd week etc. that will determine if this has legs and all indications seem to be that this will fall flat on its ass as well, but I will see what I few websites say later in the week..

Zack M
you realy do not know anything do you... You must have forgotten how Bats V Supes fell flat on its ass in its second weekend... It doesn't matter what this did on opening weekend, what matters is what it wil do in its 2nd week, 3rd week etc. that will determine if this has legs and all indications seem to be that this will fall flat on its ass as well, but I will see what I few websites say later in the week..

Nah, you dont. That's for sure. wink

quanchi112
Originally posted by SquallX
Right? Because Captain America the first Avenger was such a great movie? So was the 2 Thor's movies, and the last 2 Iron Man's right? I agree with some of your preferences but you're ignoring Civil War, Avengers, Gotg, and Winter So,died which blow these subpar films out of the water. Do you disagree ?

Marvel has made great films DC has produced duds which have been annihilated by the critics.

quanchi112
you realy do not know anything do you... You must have forgotten how Bats V Supes fell flat on its ass in its second weekend... It doesn't matter what this did on opening weekend, what matters is what it wil do in its 2nd week, 3rd week etc. that will determine if this has legs and all indications seem to be that this will fall flat on its ass as well, but I will see what I few websites say later in the week.. As per the norm Golgo makes a jackass out of himself and will look like a moron at the end of its run. He once said he prefers marvel films as well. He's a dolt.

BruceSkywalker
Nah, you dont. That's for sure. wink

then you better hope this makes money , because as of right now it doesn't look like it...

Originally posted by quanchi112
As per the norm Golgo makes a jackass out of himself and will look like a moron at the end of its run. He once said he prefers marvel films as well. He's a dolt.

thumb up

Zack M
then you better hope this makes money , because as of right now it doesn't look like it...

thumb up

It'll be profitable for the studio, no doubt.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by SquallX
Right? Because Captain America the first Avenger was such a great movie? So was the 2 Thor's movies, and the last 2 Iron Man's right?

Yeah, actually. The First Avenger was a solid damn movie. Iron Man 2 was a hell of a lot of fun, and the Thor movies have Loki, who is more charismatic than anyone seen in the DCEU so far.

Zack M
Opinions vary. I hated the first Cap movie. Pretty damn boring. Same with the Thor movies. Totally forgettable. Nobody talks about them anymore.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Have the DCEU be "Earth-3" have the ending of Justice League being the universe destroyed by Darkseid or better yet the Anti-Monitor. Then do a soft reboot where the next film takes place in "Earth One" with a Justice League that actually act like the characters in the comics. Don't involve Snyder. Don't have the WB interfere too much. Have a long term plan of where your movieverse is going like Marvel has.

thumb up

They could also have Flash go back and change the timeline as well. It can be explained that something in the past set the DCEU on the path of becoming the Injustice Universe and Flash goes back and does a meta course correction for the entire franchise. Then we get a completely different Lex Luthor, an iconic beacon of hope Superman, and a Batman that doesn't freely give away his secret identity and is actually a genius tactician and detective.

BruceSkywalker
It'll be profitable for the studio, no doubt.

well lets hope it makes enough so they don't make more changes

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by MF DELPH
thumb up

They could also have Flash go back and change the timeline as well. It can be explained that something in the past set the DCEU on the path of becoming the Injustice Universe and Flash goes back and does a meta course correction for the entire franchise. Then we get a completely different Lex Luthor, an iconic beacon of hope Superman, and a Batman that doesn't freely give away his secret identity and is actually a genius tactician and detective.

Can you imagine how much attention that would get, that WB was trolling its own audience? laughing out loud "Here's your Justice League movie. Oops, we killed them all and are starting over".

Dr Will Hatch
Opinions vary. I hated the first Cap movie. Pretty damn boring. Same with the Thor movies. Totally forgettable. Nobody talks about them anymore.

The only thing I didn't like about the first Cap movie was that the Red Skull wasn't NEARLY evil or menacing enough. Otherwise, I thought it was a good flick.

The Thor movies are problematic as hell, for sure, but I still enjoy them. Charisma goes a long way, and Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston have charisma in spades.

roughrider
Fire Zack Snyder and his wife from producing these movies. His touch contaminates.

The true Kevin Feige has yet to appear for DC & Warners, to shepard these. Replace Zack Snyder with George Miller, as a producer & consultant.

Zack M
The only thing I didn't like about the first Cap movie was that the Red Skull wasn't NEARLY evil or menacing enough. Otherwise, I thought it was a good flick.

The Thor movies are problematic as hell, for sure, but I still enjoy them. Charisma goes a long way, and Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston have charisma in spades.

The same holds true for MOS. It has it's flaws, but it was enjoyable. Red Skull was the only thing I did like about the Cap movies.

Darth Thor
Thor 1 doesn't have flaws. It was a Great movie.

Thor 2 and IM2 however were Meh and Disappointing.

CA1 wasn't epic, was kind of meh as well in terms of entertainment, but was ultimately a solid origin story for Cap, and doesn't dent the Cap trilogy at all.

IM3 was an outright horrible movie. But it came right after Avengers when everyone was Marvel and IM high. So it still made tons of money, and people just quickly forgot about it.

The DCEU however doesn't have its IM1, Thor1 or its Avengers 2 yet. So people won't forget it if they keep giving us films with such mixed reception. They're simply not in a position to keep getting away with that.

Zack M

CA1 wasn't epic, was kind of meh as well in terms of entertainment, but was ultimately a solid origin story for Cap, and doesn't dent the Cap trilogy at all.

IM3 was an outright horrible movie. But it came right after Avengers when everyone was Marvel and IM high. So it still made tons of money, and people just quickly forgot about it.

The DCEU however doesn't have its IM1, Thor1 or its Avengers 2 yet. So people won't forget it if they keep giving us films with such mixed reception. They're simply not in a position to keep getting away with that.

SS reception amongst the younger crowd has been pretty good. Everyone who I went with highly enjoyed it and a bunch of my co workers did, too.

As long as the DCEU continues to make money, they'll keep on pumping out films and what's even more ironic is that the people who supposedly hate it will keep on supporting it at the box office. It's a sad cycle, realy.

Oh, and the first Thor is cringe worthy. Humor sucks.

tkitna
The same holds true for MOS. It has it's flaws, but it was enjoyable.

MoS was horrid.

Zack M
Agree to disagree.

steverules_2
MoS wasn't horrid enough to stop me buying the Blu-ray...BvS is another story

Darth Thor

Oh, and the first Thor is cringe worthy. Humor sucks.

That's the first time Ive heard anyone say that about Thor1.

Kazenji
That's the thing about humor its subjective.

steverules_2
MoS wasn't horrid enough to stop me buying the Blu-ray...BvS is another story

Quincy
I saw Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad after hearing how terrible they were. That doesn't mean I think they are quality films but because I like the original DC Properties. I still left the theater thinking "God that was horse shit wasn't it?"

You cant equate dollars to people who LIKED the film. You have to PAY to see it regardless.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Quincy

You cant equate dollars to people who LIKED the film. You have to PAY to see it regardless.

For the first time you watch it? Sure. But you don't have to pay to see it again. Or tell others to watch them. Or to buy the on Blu-Ray.

MF DELPH
Sometimes that just happens out of curiosity, though. For example, I didn't watch either the first Michael Bay Ninja Turtles film or Kick Ass 2 in the theatre, I waited until they were both on sale on Amazon because $12.99 to own the HD digital copy was less of a financial hit than paying $13.25 for a single viewing in the theatre. Owning a bad movie so you can choose to watch it whenever you want, however many times you may get in the mood to revisit it is a big part of DVD sales. There's a lot of people that own the DVD/Bluray or Digital Versions of Superman Returns, Sin City 2, or Prometheus and hardly if ever watch them (myself included).

*edit

The counter to that is Dredd. It essentially bombed in the theatres but Bluray and Digital download sales caused good word of mouth after the fact.

Dr Will Hatch

The main problem that I had with Thor 1 was that I didn't find Thor unlikable or arrogant or immature or warlike enough for Odin to be that angry at him to want to force Thor to learn some humility, which is the whole point of his origin story. Thor is supposed to start out as a haughty creep, like a less sadistic version of Joffrey from Game of Thrones, but his personality never really changes that much. He was a good guy from the beginning. Compare that to Iron Man 1 where Tony genuinely starts out as an amoral a.sshole and learns to take responsibility through his trauma. Also, Thor learns his lesson WAY too fast. It takes him like a day and a half to learn humility. In the comics, it took him like TEN YEARS before he finally was worthy to hold mjolnir again. It's still mostly a fun film though. None of the MCU movies have been unwatchable or bad to me. They're all definitely worth a look. Iron Man 2 is no different than Iron Man 1 imo, it's a continuation of the same plotline from the first movie. Thor 2 was flawed, but like I said is eminently watchable simply because it's an MCU product.

BruceSkywalker
just fire Snyder and hire Michael Bay that will solve every problem WB has

Zack M
Michael Bay. laughing out loud

Kazenji
Could be worst they hire Uwe Boll.

Darth Thor
The main problem that I had with Thor 1 was that I didn't find Thor unlikable or arrogant or immature or warlike enough for Odin to be that angry at him to want to force Thor to learn some humility, which is the whole point of his origin story.

Hey? He began wanting to start war with the frost giants.

By the end he sacrificed his connection to Earth to save the frost giants.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Sometimes that just happens out of curiosity, though. For example, I didn't watch either the first Michael Bay Ninja Turtles film or Kick Ass 2 in the theatre, I waited until they were both on sale on Amazon because $12.99 to own the HD digital copy was less of a financial hit than paying $13.25 for a single viewing in the theatre. Owning a bad movie so you can choose to watch it whenever you want, however many times you may get in the mood to revisit it is a big part of DVD sales. There's a lot of people that own the DVD/Bluray or Digital Versions of Superman Returns, Sin City 2, or Prometheus and hardly if ever watch them (myself included).

*edit

The counter to that is Dredd. It essentially bombed in the theatres but Bluray and Digital download sales caused good word of mouth after the fact.

It's a minority of people who buy it on bly ray because they missed it in theatres. They can always rent first, and would only buy it if they were confident it was good due to good word of mouth from people they trust, or because they loved the previous installment in the franchise.

But on the whole, people buying the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital would mainly be people who saw it in theaters (or rented it at home) and enjoyed it.

I don't believe Superman Returns sold particularly well on DVD.

Flyattractor
For the first time you watch it? Sure. But you don't have to pay to see it again. Or tell others to watch them. Or to buy the on Blu-Ray.

True but this goes back to the World Wide Release Phenomenon. Due to the sheer amount of people that can go see a movie now, a really bad movie can make Big Money on its opening weekend.

And then we have to put up with Studio FanBoys Claiming its a New Legendary Event.

CPT Space Bomb
Reboot is the only way

BruceSkywalker
MICHAEL BAY...MICHAEL BAY...

If I have to go down to Burbank and start a protest, I wil...

MICHAEL BAY..MICHAEL BAY...

he is the only one that can save the DCEU

Dr Will Hatch
Hey? He began wanting to start war with the frost giants.

By the end he sacrificed his connection to Earth to save the frost giants.

I know, but I wish that we had seen Thor as this a.sshole who needs to be brought down a few pegs, but even during that frost giant sequence, I was thinking "Hey, he's still pretty likable".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.