Should TCW be lumped into Legends now that it's Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
Question in the title, I'd elaborate big, but I got work soon so I'll make it short.

Now before the overhaul, TCW was apart of Legends, after the overhaul it was pulled into Canon. To where now it's some weird Legends/Canon hybrid thing..

Which is where I see the problems coming in.

TCW changes certain characters around(some drastically like Grevious and Ventress) and some events I feel don't really seem to fit within Legends.

So I ask...should TCW also be used in Legends if were discussing Legends material? I see on here and CV that it's used when discussing threads involving Legends stuff...but to me, I don't see how it adds up.

Edit: Not to say to disregard entirely of TCW, just some of the things that surround it.

ares834
Yes, of course it should. Legends material treated it as such and it had some spin off comics and novels.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
Yes, of course it should. Legends material treated it as such and it had some spin off comics and novels.

Hm...perhaps I should clarify, not disregarding TCW entirely, but not taking it completely if that makes sense.

Trocity
It's so weird and inconsistent, I honestly look at them as two separate entities now.

OCW, Cestus Deception, Labyrinth of Evil, etc. are all the Legends Clone Wars.

TCW is the canon Clone Wars.

It's way too weird when you blend them at this point.

DarthAnt66
I agree, Wolf. TCW isn't really compatible with the other Clone Wars series.

Darth Abonis
Yeah, lets just keep TCW in canon now

FreshestSlice
It was a part of Legends. It has Legends only spinoffs. The fact that it is also canon doesn't change anything. So are the movies.

Deronn_solo
As inconsistent as it may seem, it's obviously apart of Legends. If not, and number of Legends stories wouldn't make a bit of sense, since they're spin-offs from of show.

Darth Thor
Like Freshest said, it's in the same bracket as the movies. We don't ignore the movies, even though they contradict Legends stuff. Why should TCW be any different?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Like Freshest said, it's in the same bracket as the movies. We don't ignore the movies, even though they contradict Legends stuff. Why should TCW be any different?

Characters are changed around, Grevious being a notable example. Would you really expect that Grevious to be the one from the Micro series? As I noted, not to disregard everything about TCW, but some of it is kinda weird with characterization.

Ziggystardust
Legends has to adapt to Canon, but Canon does Ignore Legends. Grievous has been butchered.

Flyattractor
Yeah. Tartoskys (Spelling?) version of Grevious was pretty formidable and mysterious. He went to crap once he showed up in ROS and the Disney CGI Toon especially.

ares834
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Characters are changed around, Grevious being a notable example. Would you really expect that Grevious to be the one from the Micro series? As I noted, not to disregard everything about TCW, but some of it is kinda weird with characterization.

It's not weird characterization. In fact, it's completely in-line with the film. It's the EU that twisted Grevious around and made him out to be some kinda bad ass.

NewGuy01
I understand what Zen is saying, though. TCW is part of Legends, but when people make a thread with "Legends Grievous", there's an unspoken implication there that TCW is not to be considered. In that way, it stands alone, even if it doesn't officially.

Zenwolf
It's not weird characterization. In fact, it's completely in-line with the film. It's the EU that twisted Grevious around and made him out to be some kinda bad ass.

Hmph...tbh I didn't think of it like that...

Solar Power
Originally posted by Trocity
It's so weird and inconsistent, I honestly look at them as two separate entities now.

OCW, Cestus Deception, Labyrinth of Evil, etc. are all the Legends Clone Wars.

TCW is the canon Clone Wars.

It's way too weird when you blend them at this point.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I understand what Zen is saying, though. TCW is part of Legends, but when people make a thread with "Legends Grievous", there's an unspoken implication there that TCW is not to be considered. In that way, it stands alone, even if it doesn't officially.

Fundamentally, I agree with these two, but Ares and Ziggy are ultimately right as distasteful as it is. It's true TCW Grievous fits ROTS Grievous's characterization better and such, but as a personal preference (which I know is meaningless) I think the "Legends" depictions of Grievous make much more sense given his backstory. I kinda forgot TCW used to be part of legends before becoming canon, so if people want to debate Legends Grievous and bring up him losing to Gungans, I guess not much can be done. But I know a majority of people when considering Legends Grievous are willing to look past his "fitting" TCW showings and focus on his more "badass" showings. As long as debaters in threads agree on which Grievous is being used in an argument before debating, I see no problem. I'm going with what Newguy has said, with the unspoken implication. If the creator of the thread or someone debating wants to bring up the TCW showings, then gg for GG.

cs_zoltan

Nah, he was insane in the RotS novel too.

SunRazer
Umm, Grievous was originally envisioned as a devastating Jedi killer. It's only the newer sources (RotS film - or at least, people's takel of it - and TCW) that utterly ruin that portrayal, just as they ruined the perfectly crafted characters of Maul and Dooku (up to then). And the only explanation for that is because Filoni and co. are utterly ignorant of continuity.

ares834
By who? Lucas? Considering he was the guy who created the character and he wasn't presented as such in the film, I have a hard time believing he was intended to be so.

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Nah, he was insane in the RotS novel too.

And if you read my post you would know I was talking about the "film".

cs_zoltan
Yeah but the novel is not EU erm

ares834
It both is and isn't.

SunRazer
Grievous was created before RotS. As a tie-in to RotS, sure, but I can't remember how much of the OCW design involved Lucas anyway.

cs_zoltan
Anyhow, I don't see how RotS ruined Grievous. He ran away when he was surrounded by a team that is > Yoda, and got beaten by Kenobi. Big deal.

What ruined him are gungans, Eeth Koth, Ahsoka, Ventress, Nahdar Vebb etc. So basically TCW.

ares834
Originally posted by SunRazer
Grievous was created before RotS. As a tie-in to RotS, sure, but I can't remember how much of the OCW design involved Lucas anyway.

Of course he was. But he was created by Lucas and co for RotS. The character was then shared with Genndy and the other EU authors for incorporation into TCW multimedia project. Grievous wasn't an EU character that turned up in the films like Aayla, rather he was a film character that showed up in the EU first.

SunRazer
@Zoltan - Nah, the RotS film gave too many the "coward" hints away and not enough of the "devastating killer" aspect. That started the whole conception of "Grievous is a coward, not a fighter", and TCW took it to its worst.

The novel gave enough exposition to make it clear that this wasn't the case.

Darth Thor
OCW was always meant to be an over the top exaggerated show. So you can't cling to his portrayal in that so obsessively.

Anyway TCW kind of redeemed him by the end having him defeat Kenobi a couple of times, and having him challenge Maul in SOD.

SunRazer
It's OCW & LoE. Obviously Grievous isn't faultless - both sources make that blatantly obvious. But he's certainly a lot more formidable and consistent than he appears in TCW.

cs_zoltan
@Zoltan - Nah, the RotS film gave too many the "coward" hints away and not enough of the "devastating killer" aspect. That started the whole conception of "Grievous is a coward, not a fighter", and TCW took it to its worst.

The novel gave enough exposition to make it clear that this wasn't the case.

Well if you are talking strictly the movie, even then the Jedi Council felt it necessary to send a Master after him.

Darth Thor
Makes sense. He's only ever lost to Masters IIrc

Deronn_solo
I'm happy with what TCW did to Grievous, tbh.

Piece of shit treatment, for a piece of shit character. smile

Solar Power
It's OCW & LoE. Obviously Grievous isn't faultless - both sources make that blatantly obvious. But he's certainly a lot more formidable and consistent than he appears in TCW.

Thumb up

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
I'm happy with what TCW did to Grievous, tbh.

Piece of shit treatment, for a piece of shit character. smile

sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.