Luke Cage (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
I don't think he actually has his own thread yet so, given that we finally have a first full length trailer, I thought I'd make one.

ytkjQvSk2VA

KingD19
I wonder who they'll introduce? He's got a few villains in his rogue gallery, including his brother Coldfire.

And hopefully we'll see plenty of Iron Fist, Jones, and maybe Daredevil since Defenders is coming as well.

BruceSkywalker
i found the trailer to be somewhat meh, but will still watch

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i found the trailer to be somewhat meh, but will still watch

For me, the best part happens in the first 8 seconds. laughing

I hope he has more feats like that one, because that feat alone totally shits on anything he visibly did in Jessica Jones, in terms of strength. That feat is almost comparable to Spiderman's car catch in Civil War, though there are some obvious differences. Beyond strength, Spiderman had the speed and dexterity to actually grab hold of the car, whereas Luke simply shoulderchecked it. But at the end of the day, both of them stopped large, speeding vehicles dead in their tracks, and did it seemingly without sustaining any injuries.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by KingD19
I wonder who they'll introduce? He's got a few villains in his rogue gallery, including his brother Coldfire.

And hopefully we'll see plenty of Iron Fist, Jones, and maybe Daredevil since Defenders is coming as well.

Someone punches through a wall at 2:07, and I don't know. Maybe it's just the cloud of cement dust throwing me off, but that fist seems a bit pale to be Luke's.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

I hope he has more feats like that one, because that feat alone totally shits on anything he visibly did in Jessica Jones, in terms of strength. That feat is almost comparable to Spiderman's car catch in Civil War, though there are some obvious differences. Beyond strength, Spiderman had the speed and dexterity to actually grab hold of the car, whereas Luke simply shoulderchecked it. But at the end of the day, both of them stopped large, speeding vehicles dead in their tracks, and did it seemingly without sustaining any injuries.

Well to be fair Jessica also started out with something impressive feats but ultimately turneed out to be meh. However with this trailer my initial concern that Luke would be too grounded has be dispelled.

Though I have to say Harlem looks pretty good for a city that had a Hulk fight 8 years ago.

BruceSkywalker

thumb up

Lestov16
Seems like Daredevil repackaged with a black guy. Same basic plot of a superpowered do-gooder cleaning up a large organised crime syndicate plaguing their poor NYC neighborhood.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Lestov16
Seems like Daredevil repackaged with a black guy. Same basic plot of a superpowered do-gooder cleaning up a large organised crime syndicate plaguing their poor NYC neighborhood.

That's my main concern with this series. Redundancy. As you mentioned, based on this first trailer, the plot sounds very similar to season 1 of Daredevil. And beyond that, how many times can we watch Luke steamroll through a group of armed thugs before it gets dull? But hopefully they will add in a few more superpowered characters, sideplots etc. to keep it fresh. They did a decent job with both seasons of DD, as well as Jessica Jones, so I am remaining optimistic.

KingD19
Well...that's what the original Luke Cage comics were about, and still largely are about. Just like Daredevil was mirroring the comics that had Matt in court by day, and on the rooftops at night as DD. They can't stray too far from the source without it not being Luke Cage anymore.

TheVaultDweller
I know, but a lot of people who watch these shows have never actually picked up a comic with these characters in it (especially where JJ is concerned. So many people I know had never even heard of her before the Netflix show). So, while the writers obviously have to try and stay true to the comics as much as possible, they have to keep it rich/fresh enough to entertain a more mainstream audience as well.

TheVaultDweller
So the character we see played by Mahershala Ali seems to be Cottonmouth. He is listed as Cornell Stokes on IMDB, and in other articles.

Dreampanther
On Geeking Out they had an interview where they talked about the premise and it seems the main theme will be Luke's reluctance to become a superhero. Kinda makes sense - if you associate superheroes with tights and flashy costumes, flying around battling robots and aliens, then a guy from the streets of Harlem who spent time in prison would find difficulty identifying himself as a superhero.

TheVaultDweller
So this series occurs roughly around the same time as the events of season 2 of Daredevil.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/charlie-cox-reveals-where-luke-cage-falls-marvel-netflix-timeline

Surtur
I thought the nurse was a love interest for Daredevil. Damn that's cold, chick finds someone with true power and jumps ship.

TheVaultDweller
Well, with Cage there is a hell of a lot less bleeding over her furniture.

Darth Thor
Jones couldn't keep her hands off him either. I envy the guy.

Surtur
Yeah but Jessica Jones looks like Michael Jackson if you really stare at her face.

I'm talking MJ in his "I really do look white and also like someone ate part of my nose" phase.

Darth Thor
^ I'm going to wipe what you just said out of my memory.

TheHulk

I hope he has more feats like that one, because that feat alone totally shits on anything he visibly did in Jessica Jones, in terms of strength. That feat is almost comparable to Spiderman's car catch in Civil War, though there are some obvious differences. Beyond strength, Spiderman had the speed and dexterity to actually grab hold of the car, whereas Luke simply shoulderchecked it. But at the end of the day, both of them stopped large, speeding vehicles dead in their tracks, and did it seemingly without sustaining any injuries. I was reading this and was meh, till i realized and remembered that Luke and also Jessica should be stronger than Spidey. So with JJ feats on her series being average, it's gonna be real sad if they make Luke look like a bare 1 tonner.

TheVaultDweller
You realise that stopping a multi-ton SUV, which seemed to be accelerating after turning the corner, would require strength well beyond the 1-ton level right?

And Jessica herself stopped a taxi, looking to be going around 30mph, early on in her own series. And with one hand, IIRC. She also casually broke countless heavy locks, padlocks etc. with one hand throughout the series (ask even the strongest men in the world to easily break a proper padlock with one hand, and see how far they get), casually lifted and held the back of a car that was trying to drive off, and even effortlessly snapped out of a pair of police handcuffs at one point. So she had some decent strength levels. She just lacked any real fighting skill.

KingD19
She also ripped a police car door off it's hinges to use as a shield against Luke.

wakkawakkawakka
Jessica using the car door as a shield against Luke is both impressive and stupid at the same time

TheVaultDweller
It was pretty stupid, considering he just ripped it out of her hands. laughing

Which again also proved who is stronger between the two.

TheVaultDweller
axd-SR43mKE

I love how he drops these guys with almost no visible effort. Based on this, and some of the other clips we've seen so far (like the guy breaking his fist in the shop, the SUV stop, and Luke steamrolling through those thugs in that hallway), he's going to be an absolute tank.

TheVaultDweller
I'm actually curious as to who is fighting Cage at 2:07 in the main trailer, because he seems to be giving him some trouble. It almost looks like it could be the guy being played by Theo Rossi.

carthage
Reviews are all glowing so far:

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, I've checked out a couple of other early reviews as well, and they've all been quite positive.

Also, this.

Jred0SxbnK8

I seriously cringed seeing the full extent of that break.

Darth Thor
So this is available tomorrow right?

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, 30th September. I'm pretty keen. All the reviews I've read have been positive.

marwash22
you're keen? Are you from the 1950s, pal? stick out tongue

TheVaultDweller
I am literally the world's biggest nerd for knowing this, but the common usage of that word predates the 1950s by some margin. I really need a more exciting job. laughing

-Pr-
Can't wait. I'm sure I wont be the only person marathoning this.

carthage
TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT

Robtard
Hoping this is as least as good; if not better than J Jones. Am hyped.

BruceSkywalker
not all that hyped but will watch

Robtard
not all that hyped but will watch

Get hyped Bruce-o, getting f**king hyped right now.

Mindset
not all that hyped but will watch Confirmed racist.

carthage
3 episodes in and the show is really great much better than Jessica Jones. It seems that they went the same route with a villain much closer to the neighborhood/characters like They did in DD and Jessica Jones. Cottonmouth is a pretty cool gangster yet introspective guy with a code of honor. Overall he first few episodes were great

MF DELPH
Gonna be binging this tonight with some Whisky Sours and Mountain Mike's pizza.

Dreampanther
Episode 4. Starts slow but just keeps building and building. So far it's not yet as good as Daredevil or Punisher but it's showing a lot of promise. The fighting scenes are a bit of a let-down because he doesn't really do anything besides slap a few guys around. Story's pretty good though and the music and cinematography is excellent. Hopefully we'll see him go all-out before the show is over.

Galan007
I hope he's tanking nukes by the end of the season, cuz that's what Bendis would want. thumb up

#RealTalk

Surtur
Watched the first episode, liked it. I'm halfway through the second one now.

I'm already worried Pop won't survive this season.

Surtur
Well f*ck lol.

dynamix
about to start the 3rd episode. I like most of it but some of the performances were pretty bad. Especially the bad guys.

Mindset
Originally posted by dynamix
about to start the 3rd episode. I like most of it but some of the performances were pretty bad. Especially the bad guys. Are you talking about the random goons?

The main bad guy is good.

dynamix
yeah i was referring to the main bad guy too. It just felt callow to me. Like he's trying very hard to look "mob'ish. There's no subtlety or nuance about his performance at all.

TheVaultDweller
I'm 5 episodes in. Been enjoying it so far. Stokes isn't quite Fisk, IMO, but still enjoyable. And Luke has been a hell of a lot more impressive so far than he was at any point in Jessica Jones. I have to say I am enjoying the sound track too, and there have been a couple of really good shots/camera work/cinematography. Not really a fan of Misty so far though.

Only one somewhat PIS moment so far, in that there was no way that old lady should have survived the rocket. The explosion caused a massive fireball, blew out the shop walls and caused the whole building to collapse in on itself. Even if Luke covered her with his whole body, there is no way he could have protected her from all that. But they needed him to pull off some amazing save to get the people in Harlem excited, which is why I call it a PIS moment.

Also, it almost looks like he gets her out of the way before the rocket hits him in the back. How the hell can he just be KO'd from that, but the shotgun pressed behind the chin bone (it was actually pressed against the mylohyoid muscle, in the gap between chin bone and Adam's apple, as someone pointed out via screenshots on another forum) causes a brain hemorrhage? Or the gun going off in his hand. Even if his bones and skin are tough, the severity of damage the shotgun did should mean that he would have had at least some inflammation/swelling/discomfort in his hand for a while afterwards, but that was not the case. Hell, nothing up until now has done any kind of lasting damage, so that shotgun is looking more and more like major PIS.

Then again, Luke's "coma" in JJ seemed to be tied to Kilgrave as well, as he woke up after Jessica snapped Kilgrave's neck.

Surtur
I like the bad guy, though I guess I would have preferred someone with powers.

It's kind of weird though seeing Juice from Sons of Anarchy. Poor Juice, he tried so hard. The main villain was in 4400 as well.

TheVaultDweller
I still remember The 4400. I actually enjoyed that show. IIRC, the actor who plays Cottonmouth had TK powers in it, and was the father of the uber powerful crazy girl.

MF DELPH
I'm really diggin Luke Cage. It's like Shaft (with super strength) meets New York Undercover. It plays like a modern take on 70's blaxploitation flicks with 90's period New York flavoring, but takes a dramatic approach instead of satire. Once I saw Raphael Saddiq and Faith Evans I was sold. I almost expected Malik Yoba and Michael Delorenzo to be in Cottomouth's club after a day on the beat. I'm on episode 9 now.

CosmicComet
I like Luke Cage's character.

I'm not sure if he's the same in the comics, he always seemed like a shallow parody, but in here he's full of depth.

He's a solid man with plenty of layers and is very righteous. I also like how uncomfortable he is when he says nigga. It truly pains him to say the word.

I also love the music. I love that its full of jazz, blues and funk and not just hip hop. It's very versatile and I've always been a fan of the old school genres.

BruceSkywalker
watched first ep last night.. have to say that I was not impressed... Took too long to develop his character.. Cotttonmouth seems like someone that will be a thorn in Cage's side. will watch more episodes later to see if my opinion will change.

CosmicComet
...You weren't impressed with Misty Knight's assets??

carthage
Cage totally held back against Stryker, lol

All and all great series, and as expected Marvel's Netflix series are amazing.

10/10

carthage
Also the doctor that got the Shrapnel out of Luke's body is seen in a hospital with Stryker after the fight. We might see Diamondback return at some point enhanced. He somehow was able to keep the data from the prison in Georgia

MF DELPH
He was able to copy the thumb drive to his hard drive and it wasn't destroyed when Luke tossed the tower and smashed barn.

CosmicComet
Cottonmouth is an awesome villain

MF DELPH
Yeah, Cottonmouth was dope. He's like Stringer Bell and Nino Brown blended together. I know people will compare him to Kingpin but I feel it's an unfair comparison. D'Onofrio was going for a whole different type of criminal with his Wilson Fisk adaptation.

Surtur
I still remember The 4400. I actually enjoyed that show. IIRC, the actor who plays Cottonmouth had TK powers in it, and was the father of the uber powerful crazy girl.

Yeah he got TK in later seasons and eventually became a bad ass with it.

The entire show is on Netflix, it's too bad it was cancelled since it ended on sort of a cliffhanger.

Mindset
Originally posted by dynamix
yeah i was referring to the main bad guy too. It just felt callow to me. Like he's trying very hard to look "mob'ish. There's no subtlety or nuance about his performance at all. You're wrong.

CosmicComet
I laugh every time Cottonmouth laughs.

Dude is phucking hilarious.

-K-M-
Episode 13 spoilers

During the scene where Bobby finds the evidence folder at the end there is a drawing on the wall that looked like rhino.....who is it supposed to be? Sure it's an easter egg of someone

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/A_Flight4/cage.png

Galan007
It's just a drawing of a Lego toy/action figure, you dumbass. thumb up

Dreampanther
Finished watching late last night after a lot of beer so just going to write a quick overview without going into specifics. Positives: The music and the cinematography were the outstanding stars of the show for me. Each episode had a feel defined by the music and enhanced by the camera work. For a while I really thought the show was taking place in the 70s and even after I realised it was taking place in the here and now I could lose myself in a Harlem that came straight out of a Shaft movie.

As for the actors, I thought all of them did a good job. Misty, Shades and Pops were outstanding, imo, while Claire killed it, as usual. The rest I liked, but have to admit that compared to DD and JJ I wasn't as blown away. It is very difficult to follow Kingpin, DD, Punisher and Kilgrave as their actors did more than just play the part - they literally brought the characters to life for fans and newcomers alike. In Cage I just didn't get that wow factor.

Which brings me to the negatives. For me, personally, where it fell a bit flat was the writing and the action. Because Cage is such a big, strong guy the action wasn't very exciting. He would just stand there until the bad guys run out of bullets and then walk forward, pick them up and throw them into a wall. I get that it is more realistic that way but especially after the adrenaline-fueled fighting scenes from DD and DD2 the action felt unimaginative.

As for the story... Again, just not very exciting or imaginative. I get that it is a metaphor for Black Lives Matter or something else very political and socially aware and that everything is symbolic of something else very important - but it also wasn't very fun to watch. At least JJ had a pretty decent detective story with a lot of twists and turns that made it unpredictable and therefore enjoyable to watch.

Maybe that's why I liked Shades so much. Instead of trying to be a symbol for black oppression, or childhood abuse, or girl power he was just trying to get an organisation running professionally. While everybody else had emotional handicaps and personal vendettas he was a true professional trying his best to just do his job.

Final verdict? Not bad, but not my favourite either. Quite frankly, as much as I am a fan of Luke Cage (he's always been one of my favourite characters) I think I would rather just watch The Last Dragon again.

https://christopherrossmartin.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/shonuff.jpg

TheVaultDweller
I just finished watching it and I quite enjoyed it. Another solid MCU property. I still like Daredevil more overall, but there is plenty to like about Luke Cage. The music, the way it was shot, and the whole atmosphere they had going. I thought most of the characters were solid, and that the action was entertaining enough.

Admittedly, some of the scenes where Luke was going through thugs got a bit redundant, but I still enjoyed most of it. As to some other criticism, how is it that the longest episode is easily the most boring? Episode 9 was mostly just Misty's interrogation room therapy session, and Luke stumbling around Harlem while bleeding from Judas wounds. Only the last maybe 5-10 minutes was actually worth it.

I could go into more pros and cons, but I don't feel like writing an entire essay right now. But one thing that I will say is this. I felt Luke Cage did a way better job than any of the other Netflix shows so far in one big regard. Daredevil had a few hints of the broader universe, and JJ had barely any acknowledgement of the rest of the world these characters live in, but Luke Cage, despite being set in Harlem, really felt like part of the same universe the likes of Iron Man, Cap etc. inhabit.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by carthage
Cage totally held back against Stryker, lol

All and all great series, and as expected Marvel's Netflix series are amazing.

10/10

Well, he did tell him to stop before he really had to hurt him. And when he finally got fed up in the end, he gave Willis a hit hard enough to put him in traction, despite the HAMMER suit he was wearing. But it looks like Diamondback will return, and likely with powers.

And on that note, gotta love Shades. "What you talking about, Willis?" laughing

-K-M-
Originally posted by Galan007
It's just a drawing of a Lego toy/action figure, you dumbass. thumb up

https://media.giphy.com/media/AT631VU1Fw208/giphy.gif

Inhuman
Just finished the series. It was great like the other Netflix Marvel shows.
The music, atmosphere, characters, and acting was all well done.
Was hoping for an Iron Fist tease but after finishing all episodes, it wouldn't even make any sense or fit into the story.

-K-M-
Well there was one iron fist tease. colleen wing reference. She will be in the iron fist show

-Pr-
Originally posted by -Pr-
So anyway, just finished Luke Cage. Have to say I really liked it. The "real" villain, while not being as engaging as Tennant, was still plenty damn good on their own.

Cage himself was a far more engaging character to me than Jessica Jones. While I consider JJ to be the weakest of the Marvel Netflix stuff so far, it's not exactly bad, but what lets it down is the central character to me. She's too edgy almost to the point where it's thrown in your face. Cage is far more subtle, which is a nice contrast to how ridiculously over the top the action is, even if it is not as often as I would like.

The action itself is great, and does a really good job of showing off super-strength and durability, imo.

I've seen people comment on there being a lot of politics in the show, but tbh I thought it worked well.

All in all, a good show, and makes me eager to see what comes next.

Wish there'd been a bit more crossover, but I get that the show has to stand on its own.

Dreampanther
I think they missed out some golden opportunities for guest appearances. For instance, it would have been so great to see Matt Murdock represent Cage against the false charges, plus it would have helped start the Defenders vibe. Like I said, to me this has been the weakest of the Marvel Netflix so far in terms of plot and action - it just seemed to plod along. Having Matt team up with Cage and Claire for an episode would have been a great way to raise the energy and change the dynamic a bit.

Anyway, I'm quite curious to see what they are going to do with Iron Fist now...

-Pr-
I honestly felt like they did it right, and that bringing Matt in now, at the end of the series, is the best way to go about it.

dynamix
Originally posted by Mindset
You're wrong.

u know what, i have to admit, the Cotton Mouth character became a lot more interesting from middle to the end of the series. I felt the first few episodes, the actor was still trying to get a foot hold on the character, but later on, he really embodies the character in a more organic, natural fashion. Finished it about half an hour ago, i gotta say it was a pretty good series. Good addition to the netflix marvel lineup!

carthage
I'm kind of curious how they reintroduce him after the ending, Most likely Matt will have to come And represent him or something. I'm ****ing stoked for Defenders

TheVaultDweller
I admit I was kind of disappointed that Matt never made any kind of appearance, despite Claire continuously talking about her awesome lawyer friend. But I am sure there is a good reason for them doing it this way.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by CosmicComet
...You weren't impressed with Misty Knight's assets??

she sucks...

amyways up to ep 5...

its starting to bcome better

Robtard
Overall enjoyed it, story wasn't as good as Jessica Jones and it suffered from bad pacing several times, but still worth watching if you're a Marvel or superhero fan.

Cottonmouth was a solid villain, Diamondback not so much. His anger/rage seemed overly forced and the final fight was a let down

Am looking forward in seeing Cage return in 'Marvel's The Defenders' next year.

wakkawakkawakka
The show was okay overall. I think Luke would habe did well Witterung some more super hero stuff in his series considering that the show plays out in a way where it could blend easily with the rest of the MCU. Also seeing Luke casually lord over mooks kind of became redundant. Also the use of the 70's motiff soundtrack became a bit silly in certain scenes.

tkitna
I enjoyed it but it wasnt near as good as DD or Jessica Jones. Frankly the action was pretty lame, but it was still enjoyable overall.

roughrider
It starts off as a slow burn, but that's on purpose since Luke is quietly determined to mind his own business. Once the setup is complete it does heat up nicely. The action is different from Daredevil, Batman or any other vigilante story since Luke does not bob & weave, leap around, throw or use weapons. He's just a human battering ram who shrugs off whatever he's hit it and keeps coming. Imagine Superman going to ghettos and just busting up drug houses with raw power; it has that kind of feel. It eventually does pay off in laughs by episode 7, where he just has to show up at a gun deal and say "Do I have to say it?" - They all run off. big grin

Still, I did feel the final episode was somewhat unsatisfying. They don't perfectly wrap up the season and put the cherry on top, not like they did so terrifically with the seasons of Daredevil and also Jessica Jones. It ends, but with so many threads that can only be dealt with by a season 2.

Maybe that's what they wanted.

Darth Thor
Have to say this was a proper let down.

I've come to expect high quality from these Marvel Netflix shows, so was pretty shocked at how bad the story was at times. The villains were dumb, the cops were dumb, everything just got so damn dumb at times.

They wanted to go political, so then instead of making the cops so damn dumb, just make them pure racists. Where they know Luke Cage is a good guy, but purposefully spread lies about him, because you know, he's a bullet proof Black guy which is like a racist cop's worst nightmare.

Started off well, and was a good concept, but the story just went off on the silly tangents, and aside from Shades, the villains sucked.

Just not even in the same league as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

Ridley_Prime
shaddup, we all be in da hood now, ya know what I'm sayin bruh?

Pretty much what most of the above posts said though, really. Still like Luke Cage's characterization and Diamondback was cool, but the writing and pacing was just painful, more often than not. Give this 1st season a 6/10 or so.

BruceSkywalker
just 6 shows in and this isn't good... diamondback just always talked tough...the fights coulda ben better.. right now 5/10

wakkawakkawakka
I thought Luke himself was the most likeable of the Netfilx heroes but he does have the weakest show as of now. Also the Diamondback fight had almost as many cuts as any given ScarJo scene in the MCU.

Though I figured the show would reference Hulk specifically at least once and not as a generalization of super-hero fear.

ares834
I'm only on episode 9, but I gotta say this show is mediocre at best. It pales in comparison to DD and JJ. It's got a great sense of style, I love the music, and Cottenmouth was great but unfortunately that's all I can really say that is good about it.

The pacing is atrocious, I'm fine with a show being slow but this is ridiculous especially since the plot line is frankly weak. And Diamonback is one of the worst villains I have had the displeasure of watching. Heck, even the fights are boring. I think I'm not even going to bother finishing it as I hear it's all downhill after the, admittedly, fabulous episode 7. A shame really; it had a lot of potential.

Ridley_Prime
Cottonmouth was weak imo.

In any case, hope this isn't a taste of what's to come quality-wise for the next Marvel shows, though Punisher's the only one I care about at the moment.

Darth Thor
It did have great potential. So no idea what went wrong, especially with not only Marvel's but Netflix's great track record.

The plot and the villains were just all over the place. It's like the show kept changing it's mind what it was going to be. And yes Diamondback was atrocious.

Darth Thor
Oh geez that final fight between Luke and Diamondback...

Did anyone here actually find that exciting?

Mindset
I liked it, dunno what you guys are talking about.

queeq
Bit of a sluggish series. I liked it though!

Daredevil is still the best. It's pacing and development is more exciting. I'm sure they can do something like that for Luke Cage.

Am impressed with the (almost) all-black cast and its links to the modern days problems concerning 'Black Lives Matter'. The first Marvel thing that actually links up with modern day.

Patient_Leech
Watched the first episode of this and probably will not continue. Doesn't have the charisma and charm that I grew to love in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I'm sure it gets better, but Luke Cage just seems too invincible, no vulnerability, and he's obviously not as interesting of an actor. The plot doesn't seem to be setting up to be particularly original or interesting either. It's a shame.

queeq
Well, actually harming Luke (and succeeding) is a big part of the series. It's worth watching.

staxamillion
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Watched the first episode of this and probably will not continue. Doesn't have the charisma and charm that I grew to love in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I'm sure it gets better, but Luke Cage just seems too invincible, no vulnerability, and he's obviously not as interesting of an actor. The plot doesn't seem to be setting up to be particularly original or interesting either. It's a shame.

I feel you that's why I don't like most superman iterations. that being said Luke Cage is more about the person and the community rather than powers. frankly if you read comics then none of the tv shows will seem particularly original. I kinda liked the throwback feel of the show, the way the drama built up it was interesting to me.

Surtur
His only weakness is the concussive force generated by a shotgun.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
His only weakness is the concussive force generated by a shotgun.

At first, I just thought that was a low-end. But, re-watching Jessica Jones, the vast majority of that series was a low-end for him. In, Luke Cage, there are numerous scenes where he absolutely steamrolls through groups of armed thugs/opponents. And he does so with almost comical ease. During one of the very few fights he actually had in the previous show, some random thug and his handful of unarmed henchman gave Luke serious trouble. Was even staggering him with hits (compared to people breaking their arms etc. on his own show). I think that they hadn't really fleshed out his power levels at that point, hence why his showings were rather suspect.

carthage
Iron Fist, Punisher, and the reunited Defenders next month as well as a rumored Ghost Rider show, Inhumans, and Daredevil Season 3 (confirmed). I'm stoked

staxamillion
misty knight

jawdrop

carthage
http://www.cbr.com/sweet-christmas-netflix-announces-luke-cage-season-2

Season 2 confirmed

Ridley_Prime
I'm not sure I'll be along for the ride with season 2 after the first one, honestly.

BruceSkywalker
will watch but season one was underwhelming

TheVaultDweller
I'd be keen on season 2, but they really need to get a better villain. Honestly, Cottonmouth was much more enjoyable than his cow of a cousin, or Diamondback. At least, IMO. I did like Shades, though.

Unfortunately, based on the s1 ending, we will be getting more lame-a** Diamondback in the future.

Darth Thor
Yeah not really interested at this point, but will probably watch anyway as it's part of the Netflix shared Universe.

Dreampanther
Hopefully, since this will be after Iron Fist, Defenders, Punisher and more Jessica Jones and Daredevil there will be a lot more to choose from to create a story that's not quite as linear and predictable as the first season. I still like Luke Cage and I thought they had a decent cast, just the plot and the writing left it down since I think they could have condensed all that into 6 - 8 episodes.

KingD19
The thing about Diamondback that pissed me off is that Luke has an actual 100% biological brother named Coldfire who got powers of his own to take Luke out. I think it would have been more enjoyable to keep that storyline intact than use it and switch in Diamonback for Coldfire.

carthage
Season 2 now filming

http://screenrant.com/luke-cage-season-2-filming-start-2/

Dreampanther

TheVaultDweller
I'm really hoping they picked her because they genuinely liked her previous directing work, and not because she has a vagina. Considering that I have lost a job because of position quota-related BS before, that kind of crap annoys the hell out of me.

MF DELPH
Looks like they've casted Bushmaster and Nightshade for Season 2:

http://screenrant.com/luke-cage-season-2-mustafa-shakir-gabrielle-dennis/

carthage
http://screenrant.com/luke-cage-season-2-misty-knight-bionic-arm/

First image of Bionic Misty Knight

TheVaultDweller
FU4Xn__5Qjg

We'll also be getting an Iron Fist team up in S2, based on a recently released image. Hopefully it will be better than JJ S2.

cdtm
Show adapted Living Weapon series Danny, so I dunno.

That's the one written by a Canadian SJW, who called him one of the most privileged people on Earth in an interview, and had a five year old girl and a woman reporter show him up.

carthage

carthage
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CtuY-TmspO4

A few clips of Misty with her arm, Cage survives a diesel truck Explosion, and we get to see a few clips of Bushmaster fighting Cage. Bushmaster looks intense and unhinged imo

TheVaultDweller
sB1in0KkoG4

Hot damn, Bushmaster already looks like a beast. Two hits from him seemed to f*** Luke up worse than an Iron Fist did.

carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cI8SHLaLQ

I wonder what Bushmaster's motivations are in this season. Its clear he's going after Black Mariah, but they haven't really hinted at why. He also knocks down a large security door, tanks a bullet to his eye, and catches a punch by Luke and makes him wince with pain as he squeezes his hand

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cI8SHLaLQ

I wonder what Bushmaster's motivations are in this season. Its clear he's going after Black Mariah, but they haven't really hinted at why. He also knocks down a large security door, tanks a bullet to his eye, and catches a punch by Luke and makes him wince with pain as he squeezes his hand

Look again, it actually looks like he dodges the bullet. His head suddenly snaps to the side, out of its way, while we are still in the slowmo.

https://i.imgur.com/IPBN5LW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wcpgU9N.jpg

Darth Thor
Trailer looks good, but man after a decent start S1 just ended up being such a huge disappointment.

TheVaultDweller
Problem with S1 was that Cottonmouth was such an interesting and charismatic villain. And then they killed him off (in a garbage way to boot) and gave us the idiot with daddy issues as a final antagonist. And it was made all the worse by the fact that Diamondback was heavily hyped before he finally appeared, and then ended up being a disappointment. I personally still liked Season 1 overall though, but it did slump a bit towards the end.

But Mariah and Shades are good, and look like they will be playing a more prominent role this time around. So, if Bushmaster can pull it off, it could make for an interesting season.

Darth Thor
^ Oh I really disliked it after Cottonmouth went.

And outright hated it after Diamondback came into it.

But yeah will still give S2 a shot.

TheVaultDweller
Seen two reviews so far now. One overall positive, and one overall negative. Though, if nothing else, both said that the action scenes were done well.

Dreampanther
On episode 3. Great music, cool dialogue but daaaaamn, it's slow.

TheVaultDweller
Not surprised. Wasn't even half way through the first episode before encountering very obvious filler-footage. Which does not bode well for the rest of the season.

TheVaultDweller
First episode was a bit slow, but I still dug it overall. One thing I found interesting was that Judas bullets no longer seem to work on Cage. I am guessing this has something to do with the second treatment he got when they removed the bullet fragments in S1.

TheVaultDweller
I legit lol'd in the 2nd episode when Cockroach tried kicking Luke in the nuts and hurt his leg.

carthage
First episode was a bit slow, but I still dug it overall. One thing I found interesting was that Judas bullets no longer seem to work on Cage. I am guessing this has something to do with the second treatment he got when they removed the bullet fragments in S1.

Claire remarks that after he was submerged in acid in season 1 Cages strength/durability increased
Which would mean that Bushmaster hits harder than Diamondback lol

TheVaultDweller
One thing I missed about Luke, which made its return in the first episode as well, is the forehead slap KO. Those are always amusing.

TheVaultDweller
Damn, after starting on episode 3, I actually feel bad about laughing at Cockroach. Luke seriously phucked him up. And the scary part is, Luke wasn't even straining himself. I mean, yes, he wasn't going as light as he normally does, but he was basically just casually ragdolling the guy around the room and left him looking bloody, battered and half-dead. That's one thing the netflix shows do better than the films IMO. Show you what people realistically would look like if they took a proper beating from a superhuman.

TheVaultDweller
Also, lol at Shades just appearing there silently, like a damn creeper. People who have watched episode 3 will know what I mean.

carthage

wakkawakkawakka
Only on episode 4 so far and there's a lot of pointless scenes in some of these episodes so far IMO. Granted it doesn't completely take me out of the show like Jessica Jones S2 but it is something that irks me.

carthage

TheVaultDweller
I've been enjoying it overall so far. Yeah, there have been some slow moments, but nowhere near as bad as JJ s2 dragged at points IMO. Bushmaster (at least up until the point I have watched) has been infinitely better than Diamondback. Mariah is... Quite frankly, that woman seems batshit insane at this point. Not in the lick the toilet seat kind of way, but in a horribly, horribly delusional way, to the point where her worldview clearly does not line up with the actual reality around her in many instances.

TheVaultDweller
One thing that is kind of funny to me, considering the wider context of the MCU, is the fact that people have struggled and spent billions over the decades, in universe, on various super soldier-type programs, yet you can apparently buy all the ingredients you need to create your own all-natural super-steroid at the local herbal healer lol. You just need the right recipe/knowledge.

But then, as The Defenders showed us, the cure for death is lying underneath New York. It's just that almost no one knows about it. The Netflix guys really don't care about introducing some what could be considered gamebreaker elements in their shows.

HueyFreeman
One thing that is kind of funny to me, considering the wider context of the MCU, is the fact that people have struggled and spent billions over the decades, in universe, on various super soldier-type programs, yet you can apparently buy all the ingredients you need to create your own all-natural super-steroid at the local herbal healer lol. You just need the right recipe/knowledge.

But then, as The Defenders showed us, the cure for death is lying underneath New York. It's just that almost no one knows about it. The Netflix guys really don't care about introducing some what could be considered gamebreaker elements in their shows. Not exactly.

nightshade is deadly to most people and a death sentence. Something about bushmaster makes him immune to the poison but anyone else would probably have died before they got the benefit of it. Remember hes the only kid that survived the flu shots in jamaica and it permanently unlocked a level of super strength. Its why he could hurt cage even when not dosed on it

TheVaultDweller
Well, I still some ways to go, so obviously don't have the full picture. So, not going to peek at the spoiler tag there in case it's something I haven't seen yet. But I assume there will be some explanation or other in the show.

Darth Thor
So whats the consensus? Is it at least an improvement on S1?

I still have to finish Jessica Jones S2 before I start on this?

carthage

MF DELPH
I agree. Much better than season 1. Overall I'd put this in 4th place behind Punisher and the first two seasons of Daredevil as far as the Marvel Netflix shows go. Bushmaster was a good villain and it served the season well to only have one main 'villain' and learn from the mistake of Diamondback in season 1. A good watch. Will probably run it back again over the 4th of July.

TheVaultDweller
IMO, it definitely sits more strongly than s1 did around the same point where I am now. And s2 has a few really solid surprise performances from certain more minor characters/cast members that make them shine more than you would think. Like the whole thing between Shades and Comanche was surprisingly sincere and sad. Also, I dig the Foggy cameos. He has surprisingly good onscreen chemistry with Luke.

TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed Danny's guest appearance in episode 10. His portrayal was way better than it has been in the past IMO. Still a bit goofy and carefree, but more mature and sensible as well. And I lol'd at the bit when he bought the one building as they were burning it down. And that "Pat-a-cake" move was awesome.

wakkawakkawakka
Okay the season has won me over even if the first few episodes had filler in them. Definitely makes up for Jessica Jones S2.

-Pr-
3 episodes in, I REALLY hate Claire. What the hell happened to her.

BruceSkywalker
3 episodes in, I REALLY hate Claire. What the hell happened to her.

then you'll be happy with what happens with claire...

season 2 is much better than season one...

liked how they fleshed out mariah's character more..

misty's bionic arm freaking rocked

liked bushmaster a whole lot...

TheVaultDweller
I still need to watch the finale, but I have to give serious props to Alfre Woodard. Her performance as Mariah this season was damn brilliant. I mean everyone was good, but the way she portrayed Mariah's spiral to the dark side, as well has her growing insanity, was excellently done IMO.

TheVaultDweller
misty's bionic arm freaking rocked

They took their damn time with that though. So, many cringe-y jokes first. When Danny finally sent her the design and all, I was literally shouting "Just take it. Don't dawdle about the decision. Accept the damn arm." at the screen. The bit where she realises the arm has some level of super strength was kind of funny though. She looked really surprised when she dented that metal sink (I think it was), and then got this "Hell yeah" look on her face lol.

But I have to say, she really has grown on me as a character. I really didn't care much for her after season 1, but now I quite like her. She is one tough lady.

Also, the MCU is becoming the new Star Wars when it comes to missing arms. Winter Solider, Phil Coulson, Ulysses Klau, Yo-Yo Rodriguez, and Misty too. Hell even Kull Obsidian lost an arm in Infinity War lol, and Hulkbuster Mk. 2 later got an arm torn off. Killian also had an arm chopped off in IM3 IIRC.

carthage
I wonder who the next villain was
One thing I love about the Netflix series is that the Villains almost always return

TheVaultDweller
And for the most part, the villains are solid. Yes, there have been a few stinkers, like Diamondback and most of the Fingers of the Hand (though I still like Madame Gao), but most, such as Mariah, Cottonmouth, Bushmaster, Shades (man, this guy is a psycho), Kilgrave, Nobu, Fisk and Jigsaw have been good.

I am almost tempted to add Trish to the villain list after JJ s2.

-Pr-
Just finished the season. I liked it for the most part.

Shades and Mariah were excellent. Occasionally sympathetic without ever being treated as heroes or made likeable. Bushmaster was great. Really interesting villain. Luke I liked for the most part, but I didn't feel like the whole "he has anger inside him" thing went anywhere really. In fact I thought Misty had a better character journey in that respect, even a few dick moves on her part showing that in a way, she's not as noble as Cage is. I still don't like the way Claire treated him, as lifelike as it might have been. In general the writing was solid though, and there were some really nice exchanges that didn't slow the show down too much.

Though, why has Iron First regressed fighting-wise? He looked so awkward in that warehouse fight even if there were a few nice moments of them showing some teamwork. I went back to check, and if you watch Defenders, particularly the scene where Danny is in the office fighting the Hand before Cage arrives in episode 3, he looks far more impressive imo. I like Finn Jones as the character, but maybe it's time to have him put on the mask, and when asked why it only covers half his face, he can just say it's an ode to Matt. Then have a stuntman that's been doing martial arts since he was five do the kung fu bits.

It was encouraging to see that Jones is already training for Iron Fist season 2 though, so hopefully either way we'll get some good stuff.

Colleen was fun, though I would have liked to see more of her.

Tilda was a good character, and while I did think she was going to poison her mom with the kiss, them adding a bit of a delay was clever imo.

In general, one of the better seasons of the Netflix MCU, imo.

TheVaultDweller
Just finished the season. I liked it for the most part.

Shades and Mariah were excellent. Occasionally sympathetic without ever being treated as heroes or made likeable. Bushmaster was great. Really interesting villain. Luke I liked for the most part, but I didn't feel like the whole "he has anger inside him" thing went anywhere really. In fact I thought Misty had a better character journey in that respect, even a few dick moves on her part showing that in a way, she's not as noble as Cage is. I still don't like the way Claire treated him, as lifelike as it might have been. In general the writing was solid though, and there were some really nice exchanges that didn't slow the show down too much.

Though, why has Iron First regressed fighting-wise? He looked so awkward in that warehouse fight even if there were a few nice moments of them showing some teamwork. I went back to check, and if you watch Defenders, particularly the scene where Danny is in the office fighting the Hand before Cage arrives in episode 3, he looks far more impressive imo. I like Finn Jones as the character, but maybe it's time to have him put on the mask, and when asked why it only covers half his face, he can just say it's an ode to Matt. Then have a stuntman that's been doing martial arts since he was five do the kung fu bits.

It was encouraging to see that Jones is already training for Iron Fist season 2 though, so hopefully either way we'll get some good stuff.

Colleen was fun, though I would have liked to see more of her.

Tilda was a good character, and while I did think she was going to poison her mom with the kiss, them adding a bit of a delay was clever imo.

In general, one of the better seasons of the Netflix MCU, imo.

I personally didn't think Danny looked bad in his cameo, but eh, that's a really minor thing when considering the show as a whole.

I definitely agree with the rest your assessment though. IMO, not only is it an improvement to the first season, it's a stronger offering than a lot of the other recent MCU Netflix shows. Honestly, the only other one of note in some time has been Punisher s1, as even The Defenders ran out of steam a bit towards the end IMO. And my views of JJ s2 are well documented lol.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>