Vandar Tokare vs. Galen Marek

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Force sabers all out

carthage
Can we use a holistic approach to determine who wins

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

UCanShootMyNova
Vandar was on Katarr. Galen doesn't stand a chance.

carthage
It's stated that only the most powerful Jedi went to Katarr, including Vandar.

Then again, logically, that's pretty stupid, since I doubt those no-namers who went to Katarr were above the likes of Vrook, who is already confirmed as one of the most powerful Jedi of his time.

Still, just based on portrayals in KotOR alone, Vandar seems to be at least equal to Vrook in raw power. Also, I believe he's the highest opponent in the training arena mod? I know it's not canon, but it's probably somewhat indicative of combat skill.

Either way, Vandar probably wins via telekinetic domination or Severing Galen's connection to the Force. And if it came to a duel, I'd still support Vandar, probably with ease.

UCanShootMyNova
Definitely. We all know Galen can't seem to keep hold of his lightsaber during a fight.

carthage
http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp3508673.jpg

darthbane77
Vandar, he's implied to be the most powerful member of the council. His character is comparable to Yoda (all around, not that he's Yoda's equal) so it can be implied that he has extensive knowledge and skill. Galen is decent overall but he's not much above a normal high end Jedi Knight, skilled and strong but nothing to write home about. So I'd say Vandar.

UCanShootMyNova
DB. That was impressive. You had me going there for a sec. :P

darthbane77
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
DB. That was impressive. You had me going there for a sec. :P With what? The Vandar/Yoda comparison? Made sure I specified that Vandar wasn't Yoda's equal so I wouldn't get yelled at, lol.

UCanShootMyNova
... Wait.

Um.

You're just joshin' right now, right?

Selenial
No.

No he's not.

NewGuy01
laughing out loud

UCanShootMyNova
Holy sh!t...

darthbane77
For the record: Was not saying Vandar is Yoda's equal, he isn't, not by a long shot. I was making a comparison between the natures and statuses of the characters in-universe to outline that Vandar was a powerful Jedi.

UCanShootMyNova
DB. You understand that Vandar is completely and utterly featless, correct?

You understand that the only possible gauge of his abilities we have is a comparison to Vrook based on Vrook not being on Katarr at the time he was which is extremely dubious based on a number of factors.

And you understand that Galen, someone who was able to make Sidious work for a win and has some of the best feats in the mythos would utterly crush Vandar?

darthbane77
DB. You understand that Vandar is completely and utterly featless, correct?

You understand that the only possible gauge of his abilities we have is a comparison to Vrook based on Vrook not being on Katarr at the time he was which is extremely dubious based on a number of factors.

And you understand that Galen, someone who was able to make Sidious work for a win and has some of the best feats in the mythos would utterly crush Vandar? Vandar is suggested as being the most powerful Jedi of the time, aside from Revan and (possibly) Meetra Surik. While he has no feats, his accolades and hype suggest that he is pretty powerful. As for Galen, he's complete and total ****ing shit. He has raw power that's it, he has little Force mastery and he's a shit duelist. Vader was ****ing dominating his duel with Galen until Galen started using psychological tactics, and Sidious wasn't even close to using his full strength against Galen. Galen's ONLY impressive feat is guiding the Star Destroyer on Raxus Prime, and that took EVERY LAST BIT of his strength to do it; he can't access that kind of power on a whim. If Sidious or Vader had truly wanted Galen dead, they would have stomped his ass into the ground.

carthage
It doesn't matter he has a game guide and holistic interpretations to wank him. Vandar is Abeloth tier coz he's better than a guy who can twirl his lightsaber, he's Abeloh tier the sky is the limit

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by darthbane77
Vandar is suggested as being the most powerful Jedi of the time, aside from Revan and (possibly) Meetra Surik. While he has no feats, his accolades and hype suggest that he is pretty powerful. As for Galen, he's complete and total ****ing shit. He has raw power that's it, he has little Force mastery and he's a shit duelist. Vader was ****ing dominating his duel with Galen until Galen started using psychological tactics, and Sidious wasn't even close to using his full strength against Galen. Galen's ONLY impressive feat is guiding the Star Destroyer on Raxus Prime, and that took EVERY LAST BIT of his strength to do it; he can't access that kind of power on a whim. If Sidious or Vader had truly wanted Galen dead, they would have stomped his ass into the ground.

Where? Where is he suggested to be the most powerful Jedi of his time?

I'm sorry but your opinion < quotes that put Galen as a near perfect duelist before the TFU novel.

Vader was stalemating Galen until Galen attempted Dun Moch which backfired and enraged Vader allowing him to land a blow before Galen proceeds to beat him both in lightsaber combat and dominate him in the Force.

What is your standard for impressive? Is throwing back hundreds of droids, causing an artificial hurricane and earthquake, buckling a landing platform, destroying the supports of an orbital superstructure or causing Sidious to exert enough effort to be described as "desperate" not impressive?

That's why Vader let himself be beat despite the novel clearly stating his intentions to eliminate him?

Jesus Christ.

darthbane77
Where? Where is he suggested to be the most powerful Jedi of his time?

I'm sorry but your opinion < quotes that put Galen as a near perfect duelist before the TFU novel.

Vader was stalemating Galen until Galen attempted Dun Moch which backfired and enraged Vader allowing him to land a blow before Galen proceeds to beat him both in lightsaber combat and dominate him in the Force.

What is your standard for impressive? Is throwing back hundreds of droids, causing an artificial hurricane and earthquake, buckling a landing platform, destroying the supports of an orbital superstructure or causing Sidious to exert enough effort to be described as "desperate" not impressive?

That's why Vader let himself be beat despite the novel clearly stating his intentions to eliminate him?

Jesus Christ. Anyone can TK ****ing froids, Jedi in the Clone War did it literally all the time. Sidious was far from desperate in that duel. Gonna have to find the thread I made about Galen, pointing out why he's overrated as ****.

darthbane77
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/galen-marek-out-of-context-feats-1786655/

NewGuy01
Yeah, everyone here already knows about all of that. The thing is, it doesn't matter. His power--and that of Darth Vader's--is still far beyond the reckonings of the likes of Vandar Tokare. laughing out loud

darthbane77
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Yeah, everyone here already knows about all of that. The thing is, it doesn't matter. His power--and that of Darth Vader's--is still far beyond the reckonings of the likes of Vandar Tokare. laughing out loud His RAW power is, but he doesn't out it into practice for shit. I will say that Galen isn't terrible when compared to an average Force user, he's closer to a high end Jedi Knight (pretty sure I already this though), but he's nothing to the likes of Sidious. Sidious wanted him to turn to the dark side after he defeated Vader, so he wasn't trying to kill Galen; only break him. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/vandar-tokare-respect-thread/97875/ Vandar's list of known abilities, statements about him and suggested knowledge make him a formidable Jedi Master.

UCanShootMyNova
Anyone can TK ****ing froids, Jedi in the Clone War did it literally all the time.

Sidious was far from desperate in that duel. Gonna have to find the thread I made about Galen, pointing out why he's overrated as ****.

I'm going to need your evidence for anybody being able to TK hundreds of droids.

I'm sorry but I'm going to believe the text over you.

"The Sith lightning spread to engulf the two of them, fueled by both their desperations." - The Force Unleashed.

It looks like it.

UCanShootMyNova
His RAW power is, but he doesn't out it into practice for shit. I will say that Galen isn't terrible when compared to an average Force user, he's closer to a high end Jedi Knight (pretty sure I already this though), but he's nothing to the likes of Sidious. Sidious wanted him to turn to the dark side after he defeated Vader, so he wasn't trying to kill Galen; only break him. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/vandar-tokare-respect-thread/97875/ Vandar's list of known abilities, statements about him and suggested knowledge make him a formidable Jedi Master.

Except it doesn't. Vague accolades do not equate to practical ability.

darthbane77
I disagree, when feats are unavailable then accolades must be used to gauge ability. Vandar's accolades and the statements about him made by others are indication that he's powerful. I'll concede that it's not a very good way to measure the character's power by any means, but it's the only means we have.

UCanShootMyNova
Yes and that's fine but why would you assume he's capable of being on Galen's or TFU Vader's level when he was incapable of defeating a single member of the Triumvirate.

darthbane77
He never got a chance to fight any members of the Triumvirate, and it's not like any of the council there could have fought Nihilus. I don't think Galen is that powerful anyway, he had the potential to be great but he never became great.

UCanShootMyNova
He never went after a member of the Triumvirate like Meetra because he knew he was incapable of defeating them. Unless it was apart of his plans to let the Triumvirate hold dominion over the Galaxy for a long period of time?

What is your definition of great?

DarthAnt66
He never went after a member of the Triumvirate like Meetra because he knew he was incapable of defeating them.
What? erm I mean, his inferiority to Nihilus was blatantly shown when he destroyed the planet he was on, but there's no evidence that he openly choose not to fight because he believed the fight would he hopeless. The Sith Triumvirate consisted primarily of Sith Assassins who attacked from the shadows and then faded back into the darkness. The Jedi had no clue who their true enemy was - much less how to confront them.

UCanShootMyNova
Rescinded.

DarthAnt66
To directly quote: "The Sith strike at us from the shadows, never facing us in open combat."

So, no.

UCanShootMyNova
Who's the quote from if I may ask?

SunRazer
Probably one of the Masters in KotOR II. Or Atris.

UCanShootMyNova
It's probably Atris from what I know about her.

SunRazer
They all describe the Sith threat in that way. Atris adds that they're cowards, that's all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.