What are your 3 greatest comic book runs of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SWblayde938
of any company, independent or otheriwse?

Digi
Here are mine:

- Planetary (Ellis)
- Earth X/Universe X/Paradise X (Krueger)
- Sandman (Gaiman)

With honorable mentions to Batman: The Long Halloween, Transmetropolitan, and probably several others I'm forgetting off the top of my head. I'm reasonably confident I wouldn't change my top three after further reflection, though.

Galan007
Sandman (Gaiman)
Lucifer (Carey)
The Walking Dead (Kirkman)

SWblayde938
Originally posted by Galan007
Sandman (Gaiman)
Lucifer (Carey)
The Walking Dead (Kirkman)

I never read Sandman, but i often hear many people consider it the greatest comic book series of all time

what was so influential/groundbreaking/great about it?

ares834
Honestly, I could never get into it. And I've tried to read it multiple times.

It's actually quite frustrating as Gaiman is one of my favorite authors and American Gods is one of my favorite novels. Yet try as I might, I'm unable to enjoy his "magnum opus".

Digi
Originally posted by SWblayde938
I never read Sandman, but i often hear many people consider it the greatest comic book series of all time

what was so influential/groundbreaking/great about it?

It's a tricky question to answer. It really runs the gamut of content and emotion. That Gaiman manages to humanize such abstractions is something of a miracle. The entirety of the universe (and beyond) is his playground, but the stories feel very personal.

That doesn't answer your question. But I'd need to think more to do the answer justice. The entire run is quite long, so there likely isn't "one" answer to this either.

Galan007
Exactly. thumb up

I mean, the entire series follows the humanoid embodiment/personification of Dream, and his entire abstract family, in their day-to-day struggles and whatnot. The fact that Gaiman was able to give multiversal abstract beings such a massive amount of depth/story for as long as he did(75 issues, which spanned 7 years) is truly amazing. It was just a superb series all around.

abhilegend
JLA (Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Joe Kelly)
Doom Patrol ((Morrison)
Uncanny X-men (Claremont))

Martian_mind
100 Bullets (Brian Azzarello)
Sandman (Gaiman)
JLA (Morrison)

riv6672
New Warriors (Nicieza, Bagley, various artists)
Justice League (Giffen, DeMatteis, various artists)
The Question (O'neil, Cowan, Magyar)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.