Darth Tenebrous vs Galen Marek

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Sabers

2. Force

3. All-Out

Who wins?

Deronn_solo
Marek sweeps.

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

Jmanghan
I thought Tenny gives a good fight to Revan.

UCanShootMyNova
He does. smile

Jmanghan
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
He does. smile Caedus > Revan > Vader > Galen Marek > Darth Tenebrous??

darthbane77
Galen with relative ease.

chingchangwalla
This Tenebrous lowballing is gross.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Caedus > Revan > Vader > Galen Marek > Darth Tenebrous??

Lol no.

chingchangwalla
Caedus is NOT > Revan lmfao. Revan > Vader > Caedus > Starkiller

darthbane77
Caedus > Revan > Vader > Galen Marek > Darth Tenebrous?? The **** is this order? Revan>Caedus>Vader>Marek>Tenebrous.

UCanShootMyNova
For once I agree with you DB.

Marek > Revan => Caedus = Vader = Tenebrous.

Deronn_solo
Who cares about where you scrubs arbitrarily rank characters?

Tenebrous gets toasted because his feats are inferior and his accolades/hype isn't better either. Also, the Banite scaling won't do him any devidence since Galen is above Bane by a pretty good margin himself.

Nephthys
Lol, good ol' Syn with his Marek wank.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Who cares about where you scrubs arbitrarily rank characters?

Tenebrous gets toasted because his feats are inferior and his accolades/hype isn't better either. Also, the Banite scaling won't do him any devidence since Galen is above Bane by a pretty good margin himself.

I love you sometimes DC.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
Caedus is NOT > Revan lmfao. Revan > Vader > Caedus > Starkiller Caedus is more powerful then Vader

Deronn_solo
I love you sometimes DC.

Oh, I know. wink

UCanShootMyNova
Caedus is NOT > Revan lmfao. Revan > Vader > Caedus > Starkiller

Lol no.

UCanShootMyNova
Caedus is more powerful then Vader

No he's not.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by darthbane77
The **** is this order? Revan>Caedus>Vader>Marek>Tenebrous. All you did was put Revan above Caedus, which I thought was true, but I wasn't sure how the community felt about it.

UCanShootMyNova
Well Caedus is faster and a superior duelist but Revan is more powerful.

Trocity
Marek.

darthbane77
All you did was put Revan above Caedus, which I thought was true, but I wasn't sure how the community felt about it. My reply sounded much meaner than it was supposed to, dyslexia; I thought your comment had Galen above Vader. My eyes really suck lol.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by darthbane77
My reply sounded much meaner than it was supposed to, dyslexia; I thought your comment had Galen above Vader. My eyes really suck lol. I mean... I DO. But I know for a fact I'm the minority in that.

UCanShootMyNova
Really Jman? A lot of respect gained tbh.

Beniboybling
Tenebrous darlings. He shielded himself against an explosion powerful enough to sunder an entire mine with caverns the size of cathedrals while simultaneously holding aloft enormous slabs of rock falling from its ceiling. His Force senses were described as "impossibly refined", capable of perceiving each and every one of his midi-chlorians as those very cells were dying. He's also capable of literally calculating the future through the vast computational power of his brain, by which he calculated the ascedance of Darth Sidious, the potential of the Chosen one, his own death, and also presumably Marek's every move. smile

He's more powerful and likely skilled than pre-prime Plagueis who dismantled Venamis and brought a person to boil with a sliver of his lightning, appeared as a blur to a droid that could calculate the trajectories of blaster bolts, and two years after his master's death profoundly affected the weather of Naboo with his mere presence.

All wrapped up in 1,000 years of study and progression into the dark side and Jedi arts. He's better than Vader and beats Marek every time.

UCanShootMyNova
And how is any of this better then driving Sidious to desperation and guiding down an Imperial Star Destroyer?

Please provide calcs. smile

UCanShootMyNova
Btw, you should probably be made aware that Tenebrous shielded off one opening from said explosion meaning he's only shielding against a small fraction of its powers as the rest of the energy is being dispersed through the empty space of the other openings.

QuakeBlood
Marek.

Beniboybling
And how is any of this better then driving Sidious to desperation and guiding down an Imperial Star Destroyer?

Please provide calcs. smile You mean giving Sidious a hard on and performing a feat that left him utterly exhausted?

The latter is obviously not something he can bring to the table in combat whereas Tenny's Bal'demnic feat was performed without any evident strain. And his inability to put Sidious in mortal jeopardy (and altogether being "no match" for his power) despite entering Oneness is rather less impressive than being stronger than Palpy's pre-prime master.

Altogether I calculate Marek's crushing defeat. smileOriginally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Btw, you should probably be made aware that Tenebrous shielded off one opening from said explosion meaning he's only shielding against a small fraction of its powers. I don't see why, being channelled through a tunnel wouldn't have made it any less hot or forceful, if anything it would have had the opposite effect. I'd also assume it was the only opening, otherwise it would have engulfed them through another tunnel.

Deronn_solo
Bene just convinced me Tenebrous is above Dooku; still isn't beating Marek though.

chingchangwalla
Dooku > Marek

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Bene just convinced me Tenebrous is above Dooku; still isn't beating Marek though. Whereas you've convinced me of nothing, does that mean I win? smile

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Beniboybling
You mean giving Sidious a hard on and performing a feat that left him utterly exhausted?

The latter is obviously not something he can bring to the table in combat whereas Tenny's Bal'demnic feat was performed without any evident strain. And his inability to put Sidious in mortal jeopardy (and altogether being "no match" for his power) despite entering Oneness is rather less impressive than being stronger than Palpy's pre-prime master.

Altogether I calculate Marek's crushing defeat. smileI don't see why, being channelled through a tunnel wouldn't have made it any less hot or forceful, if anything it would have had the opposite effect.

I mean driving Sidious to desperation as the text denotes. And yes, I'm referring to his manipulation of the ISD before his prime.

You're correct, Galen would not be able to accomplish his ISD feat whilst in the midst of combat. He is however capable of throwing back hundreds of droids with a gesture as he demonstrated on Raxus Prime twice. Tenebrous on the other hand was left so occupied by his tasks he was unable to effectively stop Plagueis from resting control of the debris he was holding aloft away from him. His limits are clearly defined. The weather on Naboo was also never attributed to Plagueis's presence despite your fan theories.

And you understand I've already addressed this faulty argument? What you claim to be "Oneness" occurred after Galen had engaged Sidious in a force lock. We have no idea if Sidious was in "mortal jeopardy" as you put it because Galen sacrificed himself for his friends shortly after they had engaged. All we know is a Galen who had just fought through Vader and Imperial forces was capable of driving him to desperation.

Then please provide your mathematical formula proving such.

I didn't say that. I said that the Force of the explosion was spread out through multiple tunnels and much of the energy generated is being channeled out through the various openings in the tunnel system meaning the energy Tenebrous is blocking is only a small fraction of the total energy of the explosion. Basic logic. smile

UCanShootMyNova
Dooku > Marek

Ching. I worry for you because I honestly can't tell if you're trolling.

Deronn_solo
Whereas you've convinced me of nothing, does that mean I win? smile

Except, I wasn't trying to convince you of a thing sweetheart. smile

DarthAnt66
Palpatine can probably one-shot Marek in the same way Valkorion did to Arcann.

JKBart
1. Marek obliterates Tenebrous like a worthless pile of shit he is
2. Marek wins with good resistance
3. Mid-way between 1 and 2

UCanShootMyNova
That's an interesting opinion Ant.

http://i.imgur.com/c2YDP.gif

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by JKBart

thumb up

An bart has spoken.

Beniboybling
I mean driving Sidious to desperation as the text denotes. And yes, I'm referring to his manipulation of the ISD before his prime.

You're correct, Galen would not be able to accomplish his ISD feat whilst in the midst of combat. He is however capable of throwing back hundreds of droids with a gesture as he demonstrated on Raxus Prime twice. Tenebrous on the other hand was left so occupied by his tasks he was unable to effectively stop Plagueis from resting control of the debris he was holding aloft away from him. His limits are clearly defined. The weather on Naboo was also never attributed to Plagueis's presence despite your fan theories.Pre-prime? I don't recall Marek experiencing any significant power boosts after performing that feat.

With a Force repulse, but then so could Mace Windu... I'd warrant Tenny's feat is still better. Nor did Plagueis rest control of the rocks from Tenebrous, he was simply too preoccupied to react in time to Plagueis pulling down more slabs to crush him. On the other hand the lack of noted strain on Tenny's past suggests this is not in fact, his limit.

And the planet is stated to experience the coldest winter in recent memory within the contexts of Hego's visit, so it is attributed to him lol.After which Sidious survived his suicide explosion relatively unscathed - despite being at the centre of it. And before that Sidious was enjoying the experience, it altogether being stated that Marek was "no match" for him. So despite his desperation, if that is even accurate, Marek remained unable to truly harm him. Furthermore this is within the contexts of Marek causing Sidious to attack himself with his own lightning, so this isn't even a real representation of Galen's own power.Tenny + Feats > Marek. thumb upYou did though, you're arguing that the kinetic and heat energy of the explosion would be diminished, however being funnelled through a system of caverns and tunnels would arguably have only created a build up of pressure, intensifying the blast. And of course, despite being dispersed amongst various caverns, it still possessed the power to bring down the entire mine...

And while I'll grant you it's likely there were other openings, such openings are typically small, and of course far above ground, so the release they could have afforded would have been minimal with a time frame of seconds, not considerable as you're suggesting.

ares834
Originally posted by JKBart

thumb up

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Palpatine can probably one-shot Marek in the same way Valkorion did to Arcann.

That would have been damn useful when Palps was howling in pain.

smile

DarthAnt66
Marek would probably blow up the entire cave structure that fell on Tenebrous, lmfao.

UCanShootMyNova
Can't respond right now. My dad's stolen the computer away. From the looks of it though this should be a fun debate given some of the errors I'm spotting at a glance. smile

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by ares834
That would have been damn useful when Palps was howling in pain.

smile
"Lascivious (i.e. sexual) pain," you mean?

UCanShootMyNova
Sidious is definitely kinky. Doesn't change the meaning of the text though.

ares834
"Lascivious (i.e. sexual) pain," you mean?

Palpatine gets his rocks off on weird shit. Don't judge.

Beniboybling
Marek would probably blow up the entire cave structure that fell on Tenebrous, lmfao. For someone who believes the TFU novel to be highly exaggerated, I wonder how you reached that conclusion. mmm

chingchangwalla
Ching. I worry for you because I honestly can't tell if you're trolling.
No troll stick out tongue

DarthAnt66
For someone who believes the TFU novel to be highly exaggerated, I wonder how you reached that conclusion. mmm
I abandoned that stance a couple months ago.

Solar Power
Did The Tenebrous Way not clarify that Tenebrous allowed Plaguies to kill him? Or was at least apathetic to Plaguies's assassination attempt? Tenebrous states that he will inevitably die before the "rise of the shadow":

"His own death was clearly foretold, entirely inevitable, and it would precede the rise of the shadow by decades. His fate was explicit in the numbers, and numbers do not lie."

And mentions in two instances how he was just waiting for Plaguies to kill him:

"...he wouldn't have wasted all these decades waiting for his foolish apprentice Plagueis to do him in."
"He would allow his own apprentice to kill him too soon..."

Tenebrous wanted Plaguies to kill him so he could invade Plaguies's body and wait for the creation of the chosen one, who he would then possess. He knew his death was inevitable, and so instead of preventing it, he embraced it to further his plans. I don't think his not preventing Plaguies from murdering him is a clear indication of inability.

I agree with what Beni has been saying, and would just like to add that Tenebrous was able to shield himself from the pain of having a fatal,pierced lung with his command of the force:
"Shielded from suffering by his command of the Force..."
Seems like a good indicator of force mastery and maybe even a pain tolerance.

Beniboybling
thumb up I didn't catch that.

Beniboybling
I abandoned that stance a couple months ago. Thank God.

UCanShootMyNova

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Solar Power
Did The Tenebrous Way not clarify that Tenebrous allowed Plaguies to kill him? Or was at least apathetic to Plaguies's assassination attempt? Tenebrous states that he will inevitably die before the "rise of the shadow":

"His own death was clearly foretold, entirely inevitable, and it would precede the rise of the shadow by decades. His fate was explicit in the numbers, and numbers do not lie."

And mentions in two instances how he was just waiting for Plaguies to kill him:

"...he wouldn't have wasted all these decades waiting for his foolish apprentice Plagueis to do him in."
"He would allow his own apprentice to kill him too soon..."

Tenebrous wanted Plaguies to kill him so he could invade Plaguies's body and wait for the creation of the chosen one, who he would then possess. He knew his death was inevitable, and so instead of preventing it, he embraced it to further his plans. I don't think his not preventing Plaguies from murdering him is a clear indication of inability.

I agree with what Beni has been saying, and would just like to add that Tenebrous was able to shield himself from the pain of having a fatal,pierced lung with his command of the force:
"Shielded from suffering by his command of the Force..."
Seems like a good indicator of force mastery and maybe even a pain tolerance.

Fair point. I retract that section of my argument. smile

Jmanghan
Mark might be able to take it

Jmanghan
Palpatine can probably one-shot Marek in the same way Valkorion did to Arcann. He didn''t, because he wasn't capable of doing so.

MythLord
Palpatine toying with Marek, no selling all of his attacks, one-shotting Galen when he got serious, and Marek needing Oneness to force Palpatine to get an orgasm clearly means he's better than Tenebrous.

SunRazer
Tenebrous wins.

Beniboybling
@Syn,

1. That's not I meant, I meant that it wasn't performed with just a standard Force push but, as it's described, a "might exhalation of power" (which I assume was also the case for the second feat), or rather something like this:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111137054/3782462-3387834-3.gif

So yeah, a Windu-tier showing. Moving on.

2. A decent amount of power yes, but hardly his limit. His inability to react to the velocity of Plagueis attack being a testament to the latter's strength, not the former's weakness. Regardless there is the added possibility that he allowed it to happen.

3. Within the contexts of a narrative it would serve no purpose to note upon something that was entirely coincidence and therefore irrelevant. Cause and effect being far more a likelihood that a freak weather event.

4. Those are some pretty pictures (be a dear and resize them next time). But you continue to ignore the most critical factor, namely that the only reason Sidious' lightning was reflected back on him was because of Marek's sheer proximity, to the point at which he grabbed his body, creating an instant feedback loop. Not because like Yoda, he was containing and pushing back his power. Instead he was evidently doing a pretty shitty job of that, as Marek is described as in excruciating painmessedimply put it was through a reckless and suicidal act that he was able to force Sidious to "desperation", much like the ISD feat hardly combat applicable unless he intends to an hero, and only by using Palpatine's own power against him. Yet despite that still failed to do Palpatine real harm.

There is no proof that Marek could have achieved such an effect with his lighting alone, and without causing his own death, instead Sidious was quite literally laughing it off to begin with (whereas Marek was one-shotted in the DS ending), and despite your theories, evidently didn't make an attempt to restrain his final burst of energy when in the comic the Rogue Shadow is almost consumed by the explosion, and would have been if it had not fled.

So where does that leave us? With an individual who is "no match" for Sidious, yeah, which semantics aside typically indicates that X does not compare, that X is not in Y's league. Not so much the case for an individual more powerful than Palpatine's pre-prime master. And never is Yoda described in these terms.

5. And yet the blast reached them in secondsmessedplit-seconds even if you consider the speed at which they were travelling, in other words it filled those massive caverns nigh instantaneously, that's no sufficient time for the blast to be diminished or escape through other exits, especially when we account for the build of pressure.

Nor do I remember the opening in question to be described as large, it was a tunnel, regardless it wasn't above ground because it wasn't the exit, obviously, that would be the "perforation" in the ceiling, a perforation being a small hole. thumb up

Jmanghan
Originally posted by MythLord
Palpatine toying with Marek, no selling all of his attacks, one-shotting Galen when he got serious, and Marek needing Oneness to force Palpatine to get an orgasm clearly means he's better than Tenebrous. He made Sidious howl in pain before he went Oneness.

Beniboybling
Exactly Myth, stop lowballing Marek's foreplay talents.

Jmanghan
Exactly Myth, stop lowballing Marek's foreplay talents.

Regardless of the word they used to describe his pain, he was still in pain from Marek's Tutaminis.

Beniboybling
You mean his own lightning, yeah.

Jmanghan
You mean his own lightning, yeah. The Lightning that Galen was pushing back towards Sidious, so yeah, his own lightning.

Beniboybling
Not really, but I covered that with Syn.

UCanShootMyNova

UCanShootMyNova
Not really, but I covered that with Syn.

You attempted to confuse the issue with Syn*

Marek was absorbing and redirecting Sidious's lightning of course but he was also lending his own power to the effort.

Beniboybling
Ugh long, I'll respond at some point.

UCanShootMyNova
I'll be out all day at the dentists and Barnes & Noble so take your time.

DarthAnt66
Ugh long, I'll respond at some point.
(Which basically means he isn't going to respond until you bait him into him).

UCanShootMyNova
I don't tend to bait people so it'll probably be like that debate with ellimist I had where I just stopped posting after the responses reached 2 pages in length.

Beniboybling
(Which basically means he isn't going to respond until you bait him into him). thumb up

Dickpics or no response Syn.

MythLord
Syn probably wants that.

Especially when he cannot send dick-picks... Not even if he zooms in.

UCanShootMyNova
Who told you about that. >:8

MythLord
Ziggy.

UCanShootMyNova
Damn you Ziggy! *Shakes fist*

Beniboybling
I said I'd respond to Syn at some point, and despite the dissappointing lack of dick pics, here we go:

To begin with Marek's Force push; the point being made here is that none of this exists outside the scope of Windu's capabilities, so it's hardly a feat worth comparing to what Tenebrous achieved, or his superiority over Plagueis in general. Mace was not strained by what he unleashed nor was it achieved with anything more than a single attack, and though in regards to the Raxus feat Marek swept his targets further, this was only because he sustained the push for longer. The long of short of it is that there exists significant parity between the two accomplishments.

----------

Regarding Plagueis' weather feat, of course it's a narrative dramatisation, but that doesn't make it incompatible with the realities of the universe. Instead it's actually possible for manifestations of the dark side to have a profound effect on the weather, the inadvertent lightning storms on Dromund Kaas being an example, nor am I arguing that Plagueis actively disturbed the weather on Naboo, merely that his presence on Naboo caused a disturbance.

----------

First of all I want to address the Databank quote, in regards to which you're ignoring the contexts. Yes it states that Marek was "ultimately" no match to Darth Sidious, but you're overlooking the fact that this is made within the contexts of his duel with Darth Vader:Or rather, though Starkiller was able to clash with and defeat Darth Vader he was no match for his more powerful master, full stop. That is the correct reading, whereas your reading - that Marek was initially a match for Sidious but ultimately proved not to be - would prerequisite the first clause, to which the latter is being compared, refer to a duel between Marek and the Emperor that never took place.

With that in mind I'll address the remainder of your claims.

First of all no, I was not ignoring the scan. I was making the point that it was sheer proximity rather than power that was causing Sidious to recoil as is depicted in that comic. Marek hands are inches away from Palpatine's own, and moments later he grabs him, creating an instant feedback loop.

The idea that this suggests parity is based on the notion that Marek was successfully deflecting his attack, but as I already demonstrated, he was not. Enough was getting through to cause him more pain than he'd ever experienced, which includes more pain that getting impaled by a ****ing lightsaber.

You argue that Palpatine's lighting was not doing lethal damage and being dampened by his defences, and yet on top of being in excruciating pain exceeding that of having your flesh incinerated by a plasma weapon, and being on the brink of unconsciousness from start to finish, Sidious' lightning is described as "searing every nerve back to its individual cells", that's the equivalent of third-degree burn that not only extends past the deepest layers of the skin, but destroy blood vessels, cause grave fluid losses and often proves fatal if covering more than half the body, Marek's entire body is being assaulted. In other words Palpatine was literally melting Marek's skin, and causing injuries that would have proven ultimately lethal to any normal human being and at least left him in a critical condition.

On the other hand Palpatine is getting hard on. There is no comparison. And the fact that Marek took a grand total of two steps towards Sidious, does not make the slightest difference.

Moving on, let's talk about the Rogue Shadow, yes it was probably engulfed by the blast, but there is no evidence to suggest it would not have been obliterated or at least seriously damaged if it had stuck around. The fact of the matter is that your argument is based completely in supposition, nowhere in the source material does it state that Marek was holding back, instead he is depicted as not even conscious of what he is doing, utterly surrendering himself to the Force before describing the events of his death in third-person:Within these contexts, it seriously stretches the imagination to assume that Marek was in real control of his actions, and that this was not instead an unchecked explosion of power that ultimately destroyed him, and nowhere does the source material support your intepretation.

In fact, the Starkiller's Databank entry pretty much puts the nail in the coffin on this debate:Or rather, Starkiller was not holding back anything at all.

Now to mop up with your remaining point, that the dark side ending is somehow irrelevant. On that basis? The DS ending, as always, offers an alternative set of events, what could have happened, it does not abandon all rhyme and reason to provide a fanciful imagining of what never would have happened. Characters act within character, and within the scope of their abilities, this has always been the way. And in that respect, offers us an accurate reflection of Marek being "no match" for the Emperor. Something reinforced further by Marek's multiple visions of the future, several of which reference the game's alternate events.

----------

Now finally Tenny's Bal'demnic. Energy diminishes with distance yes, as a result of the resistance it meets en route. In which case we have 1. air, which would have only fuelled it, 2. rock, which would have only created a build of pressure, intensifying it. Regardless what your doing is ignoring the critical point here, that the explosion reached them nigh instantaneously, so there simply wouldn't be sufficient time for the it to be diminished in the ways you are suggesting, especially considering the limited relief those suggested means would have given. What relevance assumptions regarding the positioning of the caverns to the explosions epicentre have I don't know, but I'm certainly not making any, and I don't need to.

As for the how they landed their ship, it was a shuttle not a cruiser darling. Whereas a perforation is a perforation, i.e. small hole. thumb up

-----------

So in summary:Marek's Windu-tier showing does not establish parity let alone superiority to Tenebrous' accomplishments.

Where Tenebrous was more powerful than Plagueis before his eventual prime, Marek was "no match" for the comparable powers of Darth Sidious.

Tenny's Bal'demnic feat remains pretty ****ing impressive yeah, and more than a match for the majority of Marek's accomplishments.I'm prepared to agree to disagree on the weather feat, but even the possibility that it could have occurred surpasses Marek's holistic standing tbh.

UCanShootMyNova
Fug you Beni. :>

( I'll get to this at some point )

Beniboybling
You underestimate my power. smile

UCanShootMyNova
I said I'd respond to Syn at some point, and despite the dissappointing lack of dick pics, here we go:

To begin with Marek's Force push; the point being made here is that none of this exists outside the scope of Windu's capabilities, so it's hardly a feat worth comparing to what Tenebrous achieved, or his superiority over Plagueis in general. Mace was not strained by what he unleashed nor was it achieved with anything more than a single attack, and though in regards to the Raxus feat Marek swept his targets further, this was only because he sustained the push for longer. The long of short of it is that there exists significant parity between the two accomplishments.

----------

Regarding Plagueis' weather feat, of course it's a narrative dramatisation, but that doesn't make it incompatible with the realities of the universe. Instead it's actually possible for manifestations of the dark side to have a profound effect on the weather, the inadvertent lightning storms on Dromund Kaas being an example, nor am I arguing that Plagueis actively disturbed the weather on Naboo, merely that his presence on Naboo caused a disturbance.

----------

First of all I want to address the Databank quote, in regards to which you're ignoring the contexts. Yes it states that Marek was "ultimately" no match to Darth Sidious, but you're overlooking the fact that this is made within the contexts of his duel with Darth Vader:Or rather, though Starkiller was able to clash with and defeat Darth Vader he was no match for his more powerful master, full stop. That is the correct reading, whereas your reading - that Marek was initially a match for Sidious but ultimately proved not to be - would prerequisite the first clause, to which the latter is being compared, refer to a duel between Marek and the Emperor that never took place.

With that in mind I'll address the remainder of your claims.

First of all no, I was not ignoring the scan. I was making the point that it was sheer proximity rather than power that was causing Sidious to recoil as is depicted in that comic. Marek hands are inches away from Palpatine's own, and moments later he grabs him, creating an instant feedback loop.

The idea that this suggests parity is based on the notion that Marek was successfully deflecting his attack, but as I already demonstrated, he was not. Enough was getting through to cause him more pain than he'd ever experienced, which includes more pain that getting impaled by a ****ing lightsaber.

You argue that Palpatine's lighting was not doing lethal damage and being dampened by his defences, and yet on top of being in excruciating pain exceeding that of having your flesh incinerated by a plasma weapon, and being on the brink of unconsciousness from start to finish, Sidious' lightning is described as "searing every nerve back to its individual cells", that's the equivalent of third-degree burn that not only extends past the deepest layers of the skin, but destroy blood vessels, cause grave fluid losses and often proves fatal if covering more than half the body, Marek's entire body is being assaulted. In other words Palpatine was literally melting Marek's skin, and causing injuries that would have proven ultimately lethal to any normal human being and at least left him in a critical condition.

On the other hand Palpatine is getting hard on. There is no comparison. And the fact that Marek took a grand total of two steps towards Sidious, does not make the slightest difference.

Moving on, let's talk about the Rogue Shadow, yes it was probably engulfed by the blast, but there is no evidence to suggest it would not have been obliterated or at least seriously damaged if it had stuck around. The fact of the matter is that your argument is based completely in supposition, nowhere in the source material does it state that Marek was holding back, instead he is depicted as not even conscious of what he is doing, utterly surrendering himself to the Force before describing the events of his death in third-person:Within these contexts, it seriously stretches the imagination to assume that Marek was in real control of his actions, and that this was not instead an unchecked explosion of power that ultimately destroyed him, and nowhere does the source material support your intepretation.

In fact, the Starkiller's Databank entry pretty much puts the nail in the coffin on this debate:Or rather, Starkiller was not holding back anything at all.

Now to mop up with your remaining point, that the dark side ending is somehow irrelevant. On that basis? The DS ending, as always, offers an alternative set of events, what could have happened, it does not abandon all rhyme and reason to provide a fanciful imagining of what never would have happened. Characters act within character, and within the scope of their abilities, this has always been the way. And in that respect, offers us an accurate reflection of Marek being "no match" for the Emperor. Something reinforced further by Marek's multiple visions of the future, several of which reference the game's alternate events.

----------

Now finally Tenny's Bal'demnic. Energy diminishes with distance yes, as a result of the resistance it meets en route. In which case we have 1. air, which would have only fuelled it, 2. rock, which would have only created a build of pressure, intensifying it. Regardless what your doing is ignoring the critical point here, that the explosion reached them nigh instantaneously, so there simply wouldn't be sufficient time for the it to be diminished in the ways you are suggesting, especially considering the limited relief those suggested means would have given. What relevance assumptions regarding the positioning of the caverns to the explosions epicentre have I don't know, but I'm certainly not making any, and I don't need to.

As for the how they landed their ship, it was a shuttle not a cruiser darling. Whereas a perforation is a perforation, i.e. small hole. thumb up

-----------

So in summary:Marek's Windu-tier showing does not establish parity let alone superiority to Tenebrous' accomplishments.

Where Tenebrous was more powerful than Plagueis before his eventual prime, Marek was "no match" for the comparable powers of Darth Sidious.

Tenny's Bal'demnic feat remains pretty ****ing impressive yeah, and more than a match for the majority of Marek's accomplishments.I'm prepared to agree to disagree on the weather feat, but even the possibility that it could have occurred surpasses Marek's holistic standing tbh.

You'd be disappointed if I posted them as well. sad

Except it blatantly is since Galen is destroying or blasting the already destroyed mass of droids out of the room with a push while Mace moves his mass of droids back a few meters.

It was Vitiate actively experimenting which caused such effects, tbh. I can agree that it was a conjunction of unusual weather bolstered by Plagueis's presence that caused the phenomena we see in the book.

Honestly I always thought quote was referencing the game depiction where Galen actually DOES clash sabers with Sidious which doesn't occur in the novel though you're probably right that it's referencing his duel with Vader.

Regardless I never based my stance off the beginning of the quote referencing the duel. I based my stance because of the direct statement that he was ultimately no match for Sidious. Regardless of what the quote is referencing in regards to the dueling aspect it doesn't change what the text is saying in regards to Galen and Sidious's engagement. It says he was ultimately no match for Sidious but that doesn't imply he was outmatched to a large degree imo otherwise it would have just said "no match."

And he's trying to ( scuse the pun ) force him away by pitting his own power against Galen as we can clearly see but ultimately fails.

I'm saying that the full power of Sidious's lightning being diminished to the point that it only caused Galen pain ( extreme though it may have been ) is evidence that Galen is dampening most of its power. I think you'd agree that Sidious's lightning at full power would do far more then simply cause pain.

You understand hyperbole do you not? Galen legitimately wouldn't have been able to survive let alone move if the nerve of every cell was actually being fried. And he's going to be putting all his energy towards moving forward against this stream of energy with his own power meaning he's not keeping himself alive with the aid of the Force. Regardless even if the damage being done was lethal do you think even that would be a fraction of Sidious's power?

Sidious was in an unknown amount of pain. It could have equaled Galen's own, it could have been much less, or it could have exceeded it. We don't know. I honestly think the author simply used a word wrong because he was not entirely aware of its meaning. I've recently asked about this actually so I'd request that we put this segment to the side for now until I can get confirmation

The reason I personally hold this stance btw is because Sidious's skeleton was visible when the lightning was coursing through his body just as Galen's was.

http://i.imgur.com/cBqjwQN.jpg?1

Hardly something to get aroused over.

I'm basing my stance off the logical idea that Galen using the combined energies of himself in Oneness and Sidious desperately assaulting him should have completely annihilated the Rogue Shadow and that as a reasonable justification Galen ( who's main goal is to help the Rogue Shadow escape ) is going to release a blast that will destroy the stormtroopers and provide sufficient distraction to Vader and Sidious but will still allow the Rogue Shadow and its passengers to escape relatively unharmed.

UCanShootMyNova
I don't see where your underlined quotes contradict Galen being able to direct that power. This is pretty much wholly unsupported assumption on your part which I have to advise you, makes a really bad basis for any argument or stance.

The DS ending of any medium is non canon and often inaccurate. Case in point Anakin's defeat of Sidious at the end of the RotS video game. As for the visions Galen saw himself being defeated when he saw himself attempting to use the Darkside to defeat the Emperor as we see in his fight with Vader he gains strength from relying on the Lightside, strength which allows him to contend with Sidious to a greater capacity then he would have been able had he been drawing on the Darkside.

Air would not have fueled the energy, wind currents can cause flames to spread and by expanding but it does not increase the energy of the flame itself. It's the expanding reach of the flame and consumption of fuel that allows the energy of a flame to grow. Fuel is something that would be rather lacking in an underground cave system wouldn't you agree?

While solid matter does an effective job at diverting and redirecting explosions or diminishing its energy open space does the same ( to a lesser extent of course ). You need to understand that as energy fills empty space its potency is being diminished because the energy is being spread out, meaning the further it travels the less potent it will be. Not to mention the energy of the explosion hitting solid mass via the cave walls themselves.

The explosion reached them within seconds. To understand the distance the explosion traveled ( and thus the amount of solid matter and open space it encountered ) we have to have the energy output of the explosion to measure the speed at which it was moving. Do you know how powerful the bomb itself was?

How did they land their shuttle through the perforation then? Because the hold itself then has to be large enough for the ship to have passed through.

To summarize.

Galen's pre prime feats are superior to Windu's own as i have proven and you have failed to address.

2. You have not provided evidence that Tenebrous was more powerful then Plagueis at the time of his death in the novel or that Galen in peak condition would be beaten by Sidious let alone outmatched.

3. You have yet to show the impressiveness of the feat instead relying on our limited knowledge on the cave system's structure ( and for some reading this thread, their lack of knowledge on physics ) to support your stance.

*Shrug* Maybe, maybe not. There are many character who have affected weather in the mythos and I don't see it as being an ability outside of Galen's capabilities. His telekinesis alone caused an artificial hurricane, something he was seemingly not taxed much by.

UCanShootMyNova
Two pages as promised beni boi. Better get to it. smile

JKBart
Galen stomps

The fact this thread reached 5 pages is testament to KMC's retardation

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

Beniboybling
Lol, at a glance this is catching my attention the most:

I don't see where your underlined quotes contradict Galen being able to direct that power. This is pretty much wholly unsupported assumption on your part which I have to advise you, makes a really bad basis for any argument or stance.

Which I can't help but balk at considering what is clearly stated in his Databank entry, care to substantiate your claims with something concrete? Because at the moment it hardly substantiates a counter-response. erm

UCanShootMyNova
As I say releasing the full power of the Force does not mean you are incapable of directing it. The most prominent example being Galen's manipulation of the Imperial Star Destroyer on Raxus Prime.

Edit: And yeah, 1 point you disagree with in a response with over a dozen completely de-legitimatizes an entire 2 page response. In case you couldn't tell there Beni Boi that's what we in Cali call sarcasm.

Beniboybling
You didn't say that though, and you didn't address the extracts from the novel either. Regardless this seems to be a revision of your prievous stance, are you now saying that Marek was only directing his explosion at his enemies, rather than holding some back?

And that's not what I mean Syn, I meant that particular counter response of yours is insufficient. You have to actually explain why something is wrong to prove a point, stating it is not enough. This pretty basic shit lmao.

UCanShootMyNova
I didn't say it because I thought it was self evident.

Directing it, holding it back, it doesn't matter. The point is he influenced the explosion of power he released in a way that it would allow the passengers on the Rogue Shadow to survive and escape. THAT'S what I'm saying.

I'll try to elaborate further in the future then. As I said I assumed it was pretty self evident. You might find the details you're looking for in the Tenebrous section.

Beniboybling
OK, lol, but if it were self evident it wouldn't be a point of contention.

If he was directing it at Sidious but holding nothing back, your point is moot for obvious reasons. This argument has nothing to do with the well being of the Rogue Shadow passengers, golly.

I'll assume a concession for the time being.

-----

Another thing I'm noticing is that you've misunderstood my point regarding the "no match" quote, if you accept my reading is correct you accept that Marek was "no match" full stop, whereas the reading you are trying to push simply doesn't fit with the text. That simple.

UCanShootMyNova
*Shrug* I thought it might dawn on you as we went along.

Where does it say it was directed specifically at Palpatine? He detonated the built up energy between the two of them BECAUSE Juno and the Rebels were about to be gunned down.

You can assume whatever you want tbh. It doesn't make it true.

-----

If you're reading is correct, which I don't believe it is. According to you how does my position not function with the text?

Beniboybling
Nowhere, but that appears to be your stance. You've elected not to refute the fact that Marek was not holding back his power, but explain the fact Juno and the Rebels were not destroyed by stating "directing it" presumably, at his enemies.

-------

UCanShootMyNova
As I said, directing it, limiting it, it doesn't really matter. My stance is that he manipulated it in SOME way to get the desired result of a free and unharmed Juno and Rebels.

-------

I don't see how Marek ultimately proving not to be ( which btw was likely in reference to the outcome of the fight which was caused by Juno and the Rebels being threatened ) after an extended engagement where he was would need to have the prerequisite that he had dueled with Sidious. Can you please explain why you hold that position?

UCanShootMyNova
I assume you're not actually going to respond to the full post btw?

Beniboybling
Yes I am, I just want you to be clear on your arguments before you do, and also clear up misunderstandings that will merely force me to repeat myself.

UCanShootMyNova
*Shrug* If it helps us to not cover the same ground repeatedly I'm all for it.

UCanShootMyNova
I'll be out for the rest of the day. I'll respond to any questions you have when I get back.

DarthDuelist9
Tenebrous takes it, far more masterful in terms of the Force and probably a better duelist as well.

UCanShootMyNova
Mind explaining why you believe Tenebrous to be a better force user? On a phone so I won't be able to make any long form responses but I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

DarthAnt66
He said masterful, not powerful.

UCanShootMyNova
I didn't accuse him of saying Tene was more powerful.

I accused him of claiming he was a better force user due to implying Tenebrous's mastery would allow him to win against Galen despite his superior power.

Also why does that matter a wit when he's outclassed as a Force user? He hasn't demonstrated any abilities that would boost him combatively like Revan with teleportation and to assume he does because he is apart of the Banite line is a ridiculous notion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.