Addressing stupidity #2: Starkiller's feat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
No, he didn't "disintegrate half a 300 meter ship." That's misleading.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vd19Wfd-Ekk/V8izBRhY1lI/AAAAAAAACCQ/TAYrCkX4hoEYKN9d-dNY_wWd0dWrElLFACL0B/w1242-h865-no/Here.png

So, it split in half, yes, but of the part he still handled (yellow circle), almost half of it was already gone as per the text (red X's)

And note I'm not even factoring the numerous decks and part of the hull that was also gone from under him.

Ziggystardust
Interesting find. The included text would be nice though.

ares834
Ugh, this is the same kind of shit Legend does. Just argue against it in whatever thread it popped up in.

DarthAnt66
"A trembling shape up and to his left chose that moment to give way, showering molten fragments all along the spine of the ship. The primary array was no great loss: he couldn't have heard anyone anyway over the racket in his ears. But the forward turbolasers and primary sensor unit, the next two chunks to go, were more of a concern... Several lower decks peeled back and were swept away, including the bridge. Most of the short-range array was gone, leaving him with just the base to hold him steady. He clenched his hands into fists and willed the ship to keep going... With a bone-jarring crack, the spine connecting fore and aft sections of the frigate snapped clean through. Starkiller reached out with the Force, trying desperately to keep the two pieces together, but nothing could be done... The fore section he stood upon was going to come down among them, doing a considerable amount of damage in the process."

Ziggystardust
Originally posted by ares834
Ugh, this is the same kind of shit Legend does. Just argue against it in whatever thread it popped up in.

Nonsense. Open discussion for a specific topic should never be discouraged. Saying LEGENDDOESDIS is not a valid complaint, when in fact, Silver627 made threads addressing specific memes too.

DarthAnt66
For it to be lost in that individual thread? Nah.

I've been meaning to make a thread about it for a while.

ares834
Originally posted by Ziggystardust
Nonsense. Open discussion for a specific topic should never be discouraged. Saying LEGENDDOESDIS is not a valid complaint, when in fact, Silver627 made threads addressing specific memes too.

Opening a topic to dismiss a single feat or why a certain character sucks has always reeked of butt hurt regardless if they are correct or not. I'm a proponent of arguing for characters not against. And if Silver pulled the same shit, I'd think it's just as ridiculous.

Nephthys
I think it's worth mentioning that the ship was clearly getting pummeled. Even the remaining parts would likely be very damaged and far easier to blow apart.

Beniboybling
Still fantastically impressive tbh.

DarthAnt66
Opening a topic to dismiss a single feat or why a certain character sucks has always reeked of butt hurt regardless if they are correct or not. I'm a proponent of arguing for characters not against. And if Silver pulled the same shit, I'd think it's just as ridiculous.
Relax. erm

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Still fantastically impressive tbh.

Especially when you add in the fact he was simultaneously errecting a barrier that was powerful enough to repel best that rivaled the outer layer of stars.

Nephthys
The outer layers of the sun isn't that hot tbh.

Ziggystardust
I thinks that's what's called hyperbolic writing Derron. Besides, wasn't he just protecting himself from atmospheric re-entry?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Nephthys
It's cooler than a bolt of lightning, but still pretty hot.

NewGuy01
Ant's completely right, and it's still one of the best TK feats in this mythos.

Beniboybling
The outer layer of our sun is about 10,000 degrees fahrenheit, which just so happens to be among recorded readings for atmospheric reentry.

ares834
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Relax. erm

Just calling it like I see it.

TIL, 10000 degrees "isn't that hot". wink

Deronn_solo

Ziggystardust
The outer layer of our sun is about 10,000 degrees fahrenheit, which just so happens to be among recorded readings for atmospheric reentry.

So Starkiller's defence is pushing around the same effectiveness as the appolo 8's hull material- made in 1968?

I guess he might be approaching Kasim level barriers then laughing out loud

The Ellimist
That's an impressive analysis with the picture, but...it actually is half of the length. It just doesn't include some of the width, but the full width is unusually large anyway and nobody was trying to use that. Take away the extra red stuff and it's just like a smaller star destroyer.

It's still incredibly impressive.

DarthAnt66
A comparison to the Star Destroyer also isn't fair, because note the fore ship's width is probably like 60 meters. And the height wasn't 166 meters, more like 40 meters (assuming the primary communications array was being considered in the original height). I'm not trying to say it isn't an insane feat, but rather we should consider all the factors of the feat before mindlessly going on about it.

Ziggystardust
If only we still had Chaostheory, anyone remember that guy? He'd tell us the proper dimensions.

DarthAnt66
He's still on Naruto forums. I figure the dimensions are roughly 125 meters long, 60 meters in width, and 40 meters tall.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Ziggystardust
So Starkiller's defence is pushing around the same effectiveness as the appolo 8's hull material- made in 1968?

I guess he might be approaching Kasim level barriers then laughing out loud I suppose you missed the part where he held together the remains of a 300m frigate in the process, despite it being the titular subject of this thread. mmm

Ziggystardust
TBH, I have no Idea about the context of the feat in question - all I heard was Starkiller starkilled a big ship.

If someone would be so kind to explain the feat step-by-step, so to make sense of it, that would be grand.

DarthAnt66
He's still on Naruto forums. I figure the dimensions are roughly 125 meters long, 60 meters in width, and 40 meters tall.
Actually probably more like 115 meters (the piece connecting the two parts of the ship is irrelevant).

Zenwolf

Eh? What I'm looking up, reentry at best is only 3,000 F.

DarthAnt66
I suppose you missed the part where he held together the remains of a 300m frigate in the process, despite it being the titular subject of this thread. mmm
Quote? Starkiller made note it would "physically hold together."

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Eh? What I'm looking up, reentry at best is only 3,000 F. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/415476/hot-space-shuttle-images/

Trocity
I think it's worth mentioning that the ship was clearly getting pummeled. Even the remaining parts would likely be very damaged and far easier to blow apart.

Maybe, but it's still made of space age material. wink

Ziggystardust
The heat produced depends on the mass of the object entering. Is starkiller outside of the ship while shelding himself against re-entry, or inside it? For the former, he allready gets some protection from the ship's hull itself, for the latter, his body alone isn't enough to produce that kind of heat when entering atmosphere - an insulated astronaut suit could protect him in this case.

Zenwolf
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/415476/hot-space-shuttle-images/

All I'm seeing there is work is being done to design systems that protect shuttles from up to 5,500 F.

Otherwise I don't see how before, anything coming in reentry survived.

Beniboybling
Quote? Starkiller made note it would "physically hold together." My mistake, he was guiding it to hit the shield generator.

Beniboybling
All I'm seeing there is work is being done to design systems that protect shuttles from up to 5,500 F. "seen during reentry." thumb up

Zenwolf
"seen during reentry." thumb up

Right....so then if they are just getting/designing this technology, how is it before anything survived?

Nephthys
Originally posted by Trocity
Maybe, but it's still made of space age material. wink

The damage was evidently severe enough that it was already in the process of breaking apart.

DarthAnt66
My mistake, he was guiding it to hit the shield generator.
While immensely impressive, he did that by simply nudging the ship once with telekinesis.

The Ellimist
Even conservative interpretations are enough to put Starkiller above, well, a lot of people.

Beniboybling
Right....so then if they are just getting/designing this technology, how is it before anything survived? Gosh find out for yourself. smile

Beniboybling
While immensely impressive, he did that by simply nudging the ship once with telekinesis. The impression I was given that he was keeping it on a steady path the whole time, and stopping the rear and the aft from tearing in two.

Zenwolf
Gosh find out for yourself. smile

I have and I've found reentry only is 3,000 F. They clearly had protection from that level of heat.

Beniboybling
The damage was evidently severe enough that it was already in the process of breaking apart. Tbh that would only really matter if he just tore it apart, but he atomised it.

DarthAnt66
Can you direct me to quotes that support that? Since Starkiller made note *it* (presumably the base ship) was probably going to hold together if not for his tampering.

The Ellimist
^ doesn't that make his blowing it up more impressive?

DarthAnt66
Compared to what alternative?

The Ellimist
Some people think it was already falling apart and he just accelerated the process or something.

Beniboybling
Can you direct me to quotes that support that? Since Starkiller made note *it* (presumably the base ship) was probably going to hold together if not for his tampering. I don't know where it says that, but its repeatedly noted how the ship is threatening to tear apart, forcing Galen to hold it together + keep it steady:

"Barely a minute into the dive, Starkiller knew he had to move. Nebulon-B frigates weren't designed for rapid reentry. Anything over eight hundred kilometers an hour risked tearing off control vanes and external sensors-and the Salvation was already doing far in excess of that.

The ship was seriously unbalanced now. It shuddered underfoot, pulling wildly in different directions. If he was going to prevent it slipping into an uncontrollable rumble or rearing apart, he had to act quickly and decisively.

This was where it got difficult. He needed to maintain the Force shield against the sort of hear he might find in the outer layers of a star. He also had to keep in mind the target ahead-a target he couldn't see through the plasma, but had to hit square-on or else the planetary shield generators wouldn't fail. No matter what happened, he had to fly straight.

He raised his right arm, and the ship followed the movement, listing slowly and heavily to starboard. Some of the headlong shuddering faded, as though it were grateful to have someone at the helm again. Even the wind's shrieking seemed to ebb.

The Salvation's own shields were holding, barely, but even so it lost still more of its mass to the ongoing battering. Several lower decks peeled back and were swept away, including the bridge. Most of the short-range array was gone, leaving him with just the base to hold him steady. He clenched his hands into fists and willed the ship to keep going.

Carefully, wary of putting too much strain on an already overtaxed chassis, he nudged the Salvations nose down. If he came in low and hit the ocean first, he could concentrate the damage to one location. If he overreached by so much as a degree, he might miss the ocean completely and scrape a long, fiery line right through the heart of the facility.

The Salvation resisted. He pushed harder. The nose descended and held there for ten seconds, strain echoing all through the ship. It wasn't made for anything like this. Nothing larger than a starfighter was. Neither was he.

With a bone-jarring crack, the spine connecting fore and aft sections of the frigate snapped clean through. Starkiller reached out with the Force, trying desperately to keep the two pieces together, but nothing could be done. They were already moving on slightly different trajectories. Air and debris sprayed from the great wound that separated them, providing entirely unpredictable thrust."

DarthAnt66
Then it seems like the text contradicts itself, because it also blatantly states:

"It would physically hold together long enough-he was sure of that, but the controls in the bridge were already approaching useless."

The Ellimist
That could be because he was holding it together.

Granted it's prob better for the feat if it were pretty durable when he blew it apart.

Nephthys
Honestly none of those quotes suggest he was holding it together instead of just piloting it, aside from the last one where he fails. But if he were already holding it together, he wouldn't reach out to try to do so in that quote anyway.

Ziggystardust
Tbh that would only really matter if he just tore it apart, but he atomised it.

Excuse me?

Do you want to know how many more pieces there would be, had Starkiller reduced the ship to atoms? I'll give you a hint- it is estimated that 5 x 10^19 atoms are contained in a single grain of sand. Case in point - kek.

Beniboybling
Gosh is this how you sustain your superiority complex? How utterly derivative, lmao.

Regardless I meant that he reduced it to very fine particles, which just so happens to be one of several definitions of "atomise". Kek.

The Ellimist
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/atomise

Atomise doesn't have to mean literally reduce to atoms, roflamo.

Yeah, I took him off ignore just to see how stupid his comment was.

AncientPower
So... around Darth Jadus tier then.

SunRazer
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Ant's completely right, and it's still one of the best TK feats in this mythos.

S_W_LeGenD
Nice work, DarthAnt66 smile

Time to call a spade a spade.

Gosh is this how you sustain your superiority complex? How utterly derivative, lmao.

Regardless I meant that he reduced it to very fine particles, which just so happens to be one of several definitions of "atomise". Kek.
Disintegration is more appropriate word.

UCanShootMyNova
Can you reload the picture Ant?

Azronger
Ant, what happened to the picture in the OP?

DarthAnt66
The server I uploaded it to must have deleted it.

Ziggystardust
Pls attach it here, it was a work of art.

DarthAnt66
I don't even think I have the image anymore, but I'll make it again for my debate with The_Ellimist. I'll post it here too when I do.

Azronger
Good. It's a far more convenient reference point than the text.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.