Name Three of your favorite Obscure comic book characters & why

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
Now I have more the three of course but because they seem badass here is my three.

1.Brell aka Gun Runner Marvel UK. Just seems badass

2.Khatylis Cosmic Power Ulimited #2 look cool and powerful

3.Topographical Man Marvel Presents #4 Just on pure size.

tkitna
1. Blue Diamond - The costume is over the top stupid, but I dug how he just kind of sat in the background during Liberty Legion comics, but was there when push came to shove. He fought Namor knowing he was going to lose, but hung in there regardless.

2. The Human Fly - He was a real person that they made into a comic. Stuntman Rick Rojatt. I always thought it was possible to have a steel skeleton when I was young. I have all the Human Fly comics.

3. The Collective Man - Always thought he was a cool concept and under used. Can draw the strength from all the people in China. Imagine how strong he could be summoning the strength of 1 billion people.

Mindset
Huc - He's the strongest

beatboks
This topic is unfairly weighted in my favor. Almost ALL my favs are somewhat obscure.

Top 3 MOST obscure
1. Dark Nebula
2. Dr Occult
3. Toss up between Darkling and demon slayer

golem370
Originally posted by beatboks
This topic is unfairly weighted in my favor. Almost ALL my favs are somewhat obscure.

Top 3 MOST obscure
1. Dark Nebula
2. Dr Occult
3. Toss up between Darkling and demon slayer

But why do you like them?

Facee
Originally posted by golem370
Now I have more the three of course but because they seem badass here is my three.

1.Brell aka Gun Runner Marvel UK. Just seems badass

2.Khatylis Cosmic Power Ulimited #2 look cool and powerful

3.Topographical Man Marvel Presents #4 Just on pure size.

You're the king of obscure characters stick out tongue

Most of my favorite characters are obscure as well. Too many to list. Why do I like them? Because they're different, not normal by conventional means.

Digi
Obscure is such a contextual term. Green Lantern is obscure for a lot of people. Any X-Man that isn't wolverine is obscure for many. But on KMC? You better be packing someone from a D-list company to seem obscure.

Once upon a time I would've said Death's Head or something. But you all know who he is. No one I'm into is obscure by KMC standards.

/srug

DarkSaint85
Cheng Bo Sen - Gun Fu - hip hop talking martial artist in 1930s Hong Kong
Paulie Bruckner - The Unwritten - foul mouthed badass in a world that is based heavily on Winnie the Pooh
Slaine - Slaine - Celtic berserker warrior who ignores all conventions in prehistoric Britain.

Highly recommend all three series. The Unwritten, in particular, by Mike Carey.

riv6672
Grimjack, Badger, Marineman. Because they rock.

Flyattractor
Death's Head (1) cause he Rocks.
Absolam Daak, Cause he ROCKS
WIld Dog , Cause he ROCKS!

"Id"
Solar
Plutonian
Spawn

riv6672
How is Spawn obscure? huh

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by tkitna
3. The Collective Man - Always thought he was a cool concept and under used. Can draw the strength from all the people in China. Imagine how strong he could be summoning the strength of 1 billion people.

At max power, he significantly damaged U.S. Agent's vibranium shield.

Magnon
Forgetmenot.

(Because being obscure is what he does.)

StiltmanFTW
Axel "You follow me?"

beatboks
But why do you like them?

I like all of them because they have an unusual powerset and arentt "typical" hero type characters.

DNs darkfire is an energy blast, verging on magic, soul type power. He seems more human with a temper and not a "noble" hero type.

Occult is a mage who isnt that powerful, pretty basic capabilities but has his disk that is like the foil for high end magics. Add to which hes more the guy whos stuck doing what he does than the hero who has a noble cause.

Demon slayer the same. His cloak lets him fight on much higher levels than his powers allow and hes a hero mainly to stick it to the cult that developed his powers. Darkling is VERY similar to demkn slayer (vertually exactly same power set and motif). And whike shes more a standard hero motive wise shes freakin hot.

Sin I AM
Kamandi
Faith herbert
Red sonja

Flyattractor
Pretty much everybody on The Doom Patrol.

Ya know....those guys Stan Lee ripped off to make the X-Men....

Stoic
I figure any character that isn't mainstream would be considered obscure by proxy.

1. Savage Dragon (original SD)
Savage Dragon gets my vote, because of his personality. He's a thug on the right side of the law.

2. Vanguard.
Van is or was pretty badass. He was basically an alien with super human strength that wore tech armor to buff him up even more. I enjoyed the series when it was out in the 90's.

3. Conan the Barbarian.
Conan series rule. Back in the day when I used to get buzzed on cannabis, it was one of my favorite pastimes to chill in my room, and read the old Conan magazines. Pure adventure.

beatboks
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Ya know....those guys Stan Lee ripped off to make the X-Men....

What u mean AFTER DC ripped of the FF to make them??

Robotman guy in a grotesgue brick body (a la Thing)
Elasigirl who can stretch and grow (mr Fantastic)
Guy who flys and blasts (neg man and Human Torch)
Mento who can tk create force shields or hide with TP (miss Invisible)

T3am leader super genius (except Caulder behind scens instead of front line)

riv6672
I love a good DP/X Men debate.

Flyattractor
What u mean AFTER DC ripped of the FF to make them??

Robotman guy in a grotesgue brick body (a la Thing)
Elasigirl who can stretch and grow (mr Fantastic)
Guy who flys and blasts (neg man and Human Torch)
Mento who can tk create force shields or hide with TP (miss Invisible)

T3am leader super genius (except Caulder behind scens instead of front line)

That argument would hold water if the FF comic and or movies were worth a crap anymore.

riv6672
That doesnt matter either way in this conversation.

riv6672
Challengers of The Unknown - FEBRUARY 1957
Fantastic Four - NOVEMBER 1961
Doom Patrol -JUNE 1963
X-Men - SEPTEMBER 1963

Now, barring some spy shit going on between companies, the dates speak for themselves.

Flyattractor
Challlengers of the Unknown....Riv showing his age there...

beatboks
That argument would hold water if the FF comic and or movies were worth a crap anymore.

Fact is there are a HELL of a lot more similarities between the FF and DP than the DP and Xmen.

The original xmen were cyclops, Jean, Beast, iceman, and Angel.

Not one of them has a powerset anything like a DPer. Or a character motivation. None of the DP are murants. No the only similarity is a sponsor team guide in a wheel chair and the fact they were shunned (in the DPs case more in their own mind /perspective ).

Sorry not sold

Mindship
Aegis, LOAS ... hot.

riv6672
Challlengers of the Unknown....Riv showing his age there...
Old, not obsolete.

Fact is there are a HELL of a lot more similarities between the FF and DP than the DP and Xmen...
Im of like mind. Havent run across many people who agree.

"Id"
Originally posted by riv6672
How is Spawn obscure? huh

He is an obscure character by general public.

Maybe not by comic community

riv6672
^^^Going by that logic EVERY comics character is obscure. laughing

He's the flagship character of a comic company that received massive media attention when it launched. His comic has been cited in at least one lawsuit that also received media attention. A cartoon. A movie.
Not obscure.

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, I don't see how Spawn is obscure...

golem370
One of comic book best artists for Spawn too.

Sin I AM

He's the flagship character of a comic company that received massive media attention when it launched. His comic has been cited in at least one lawsuit that also received media attention. A cartoon. A movie.
Not obscure.

Spawn isnt the flagship anymore

riv6672
"Anymore" doesnt negate my point.

Khazra Reborn
ROM Space Knight

riv6672
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
ROM Space Knight
Nice!
I enjoyed his comic back in the day. It was nice to see he finally got out of legal limbo and was picked up by (i believe) IDW.

Khazra Reborn
^Indeed. I got the first IDW issue, it was pretty fun, my only concern is IDW usually has a pretty erratic shipping schedule.

Sin I AM
^Indeed. I got the first IDW issue, it was pretty fun, my only concern is IDW usually has a pretty erratic shipping schedule.

do all their books run slow?

riv6672
Thats killed my interest in many a good comic.

golem370
I also liked Vanth Dreadstar Syzygy Darklock two pretty cool charatcers. Not much is known about but Tribunals I first saw them in Marvel Offical Handbook that had Zeus/Alien Races and then in a Defenders book.

riv6672
^^^Wow, thats digging deep!

golem370
Wow that was a fast post.

riv6672
This is the only thread i'm even halfway interested in responding to on the page.

cdtm

True, true. Kind of a common problem with comics outside of the "big two."

I generally only read MTMTE, but Ghostbusters and Turtles was good. Definately worth the wait.

Maybe with this big event "Revolution", they'll be motivated to get things out on time.

(To make this thread relevent, the "recruit" guy from the Ghostbusters games is probably pretty obscure by comic standards.)

golem370
I appreciate that Riv.

riv6672
thumb up

Zack M
Death's Head 2
Sleepwalker
Slapstick

golem370
Nice to see Slapstick

riv6672
New Universe Justice. Love that guy.

beatboks
New Universe Justice. Love that guy.

Same Here, but jeez they did one mighty job of F#$ing up the character in New Universal.

He went from being able to heal himself WITH complete concentrated focus (and a "clean aura", good vibe) from wounds over hours (like when he regenerated his burned hand in a day) to completely regenerating from death almost instantly.

From being able to read the auras of people and knowing their emotional state to knowing everything about a persons entire life.

riv6672
Yeah, that was way too much.
I'm more of a PAD/Lee Weeks reboot guy.

golem370
The Giant Space fish from the X-Men cartoon.

Digi
So for a less cynical answer:

Death's Head (both I and II)
The Doctor (Wildstorm)
Drizzt Do'Urden (more a book character than comics, and less obscure in fantasy circles)
Spider Jerusalem

Again, I'm not sure any of those are obscure by KMC standards. At least anymore (once upon a time, I was 1 of maybe 3 people who knew of DH and Wildstorm). But they're the most obscure I'm a huge fan of.

golem370
I say if 5 out of 10 people never heard of them then they're obscure.

Digi
I say if 5 out of 10 people never heard of them then they're obscure.

5 out of 10 KMCers? Or, like, regular people? If the latter, you could pick anyone who hasn't had his or her own movie (and a few who have), and it would qualify.

golem370
5 out of 10 KMC'ers not knowing would make them extremely high Obscure.

Digi
5 out of 10 KMC'ers not knowing would make them extremely high Obscure.

Fair enough, and agreed. In my experience, though, there's very little in between. Either Green Lantern is obscure, or some F-list villain that appeared in 3 issues in 1972 is obscure. I suppose there are some casual fans that fall in between. But I apparently don't know any of them.

golem370
Well I am a big fan of stats and Handbooks so going through Marvel Rapsheet or Marvel Appendix brings me info on rare characters like Umbra and Jaagur

Digi
thumb up

Anyway. Mrrungo-Mu was pretty hilarious. I'm reasonably sure he was a walking racist stereotype in his earliest appearance(s). But I'd add him to my list, just for nostalgic lulz.

Also, Hulk Killer Humanoid. He is eternally on another level.

golem370
Overlord(Silver Surfer Villain) Xorr the God Jewel Khoon Archenemy Klaatu.

riv6672
Some good ones since my last post!
Some i knew, like Drizzt. That guy owns.

basilisk
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Slaine - Slaine - Celtic berserker warrior who ignores all conventions in prehistoric Britain.
I remember Slaine, some of that stuff was pretty good.

Originally posted by Stoic
3. Conan the Barbarian.
Conan series rule. Back in the day when I used to get buzzed on cannabis, it was one of my favorite pastimes to chill in my room, and read the old Conan magazines. Pure adventure. Those old Conan comics were awesome.

ROM Space Knight Another good one.

I also liked Vanth Dreadstar Syzygy Darklock two pretty cool charatcers. Not much is known about but Tribunals I first saw them in Marvel Offical Handbook that had Zeus/Alien Races and then in a Defenders book. Yeah the early Dreadstar was pretty cool.

Sin I AM
Anyone read Strawman? Or Almighties?

krisblaze
The demon bear - They really managed to capture a sort of base aesthetic appeal/terror with this character.

Cecilia Reyes Enjoyed her characterization, she had interesting powers and was addicted to that drug.

Hemingway. Really enjoyed the look and the arcs he was featured in.

riv6672
^^^ Cecilia Reyes thumb up

Madam Fatal
http://www.cosmicteams.com/quality/images/madamFatal_Crack_3.jpg
Learned about him in a comic book encyclopedia i got as a gift years ago.

riv6672
Joe Hercules.
Ran across him on Comic Vine. Supposedly he made it into DC canon somehow.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Joe_Hercules.jpg

golem370
Texas Twister Unicorn(Iron Man foe)

zopzop
1) The Wild One (His reveal was.............disappointing but the story leading up to it was badass. Very Lovecraftian.)

2) Carver (He only showed up for one issue but it was nice seeing a reasonably powerful Morlock for a change because Morlocks almost always suck.)

3) Leir (He had a cool character design and so much potential, but Marvel just forgot about him sad )

psycho gundam

Ya know....those guys Stan Lee ripped off to make the X-Men.... X-men is actually good, though.

riv6672
Owtch

golem370
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/golem370/863685_1.jpg

Mindship
Originally posted by Mindship
Aegis, LOAS ... hot. Now settled on my other two...

- Omega: hits harder than Validus.
- Dan Turpin*: "In the end, the world didn't need a superman..."

* ok, maybe not so obscure, and the line is from STAS. Nonetheless, what Superman says about him is one of the best lines in comics-related history.

riv6672
**** yeah, it is.

"Id"

Not obscure.

Alright.

Qubit from Irredeemable
Toyo Harada from Harbinger
X-O Manowar

tkitna
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/golem370/863685_1.jpg

I have this comic and cant remember a single thing about him. I do remember there was some outcry because he looked so much like Spawn though at the time.

golem370
Because of the Cape I believe

riv6672
And the mask.

shiv
Feek.

Kev... just Kev.

Marshal Law.

shiv
Digi will know K.

golem370
Don't know much about them but the Makers and The Absolutes seemed badass

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/ubiquitr.htm#The Absolutes

Flyattractor
Originally posted by psycho gundam
X-men is actually good, though.
I guess, if you like Soap Opera...

And I would add Jugger Grimro and the Alien Legion to the list of Obsure Cool.

Fun because it DIDN'T have any of the SOAP to it.

Mindship
Ah, I remembered this guy, liked him when I was a youngin...

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1096201.jpg

DarkSaint85
Sovereign Seven!!!

staxamillion
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/639863.jpg

psycho gundam
I guess, if you like Soap Opera... No need for me to argue cause the market already decided Doom patrol's value

-Pr-
Originally posted by psycho gundam
No need for me to argue cause the market already decided Doom patrol's value

Ha.

Prof. T.C McAbe
1. Rainbow from the DNAgents, not only because she is hot but also because the stories were good.
2. Janosik, because it was my first comic book and because I loved the TV show.
3. Captain Planet, because... dunno

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.