Ben Kenobi vs. Darth Maul (TPM)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

|King Joker|
Maul takes Vader's place onboard the Death Star. Who will prevail?

quanchi112
Maul wins.

UCanShootMyNova
*Shrug* I haven't really solidified my thoughts on what exactly when down in that fight tbh.

DarthDuelist9
Maul takes it, he's more skilled as prime Obi-Wan so he definitely wins against Ben.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
Maul takes it, he's more skilled as prime Obi-Wan so he definitely wins against Ben.

He didn't beat TCW Kenobi in a fair duel let alone RotS lmao.

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
He didn't beat TCW Kenobi in a fair duel let alone RotS lmao.

The difference between Season 4 - Season 5 Obi-Wan and RotS Obi-Wan isn't big, barely noticeable. Anyway, Maul did outmatch him in Seaosn 4 just fine and before you bring up the "he was unbalanced" stuff, the episode guide on StarWars.com confirms that that was caused by him unleashing his fury on Maul, something that actually amplified his powers in TPM. Even in the Florrum duel Obi-Wan is consistenly on the run (not just defensively but litteraly on the run).

DarthAnt66
The difference between Season 4 - Season 5 Obi-Wan and RotS Obi-Wan isn't big, barely noticeable.
https://media.giphy.com/media/aieoN5g41z8Vq/giphy.gif

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
https://media.giphy.com/media/aieoN5g41z8Vq/giphy.gif

Very mature Ant...

Kurk
Maul

cs_zoltan

DarthDuelist9
His fury was 'uncontrolled' in TPM but it still helped him anyway and is there even any indication that it was uncontrolled?

Well that's easy, everytime Kenobi's giving ground means now he's actually just practising Soresu so he's actually undefeatable. However look at all of his TCW fights and he's never on de defense (or giving ground) besides against Grievous when Anakin freeing Eeth Koth or in the Movie against Ventress but he needed to keep his opponents busy on both occassions. On the Turtle Tanker Obi-Wan was directly seeking out higher ground when Maul got the advantage and on Florrum Maul didn't even want to kill him and he was running away from the moment de duel started. So why would Obi-Wan give ground against Maul while he hasn't done that against any of his other opponents in the CW continuity (besides the exceptions I previously mentioned)?

Obi-Wan was outmatched in both their encounters in TCW, he admitted that himself and we've seen it.

DarthAnt66
Well that's easy, everytime Kenobi's giving ground means now he's actually just practising Soresu so he's actually undefeatable
thumb up

Deronn_solo
Maul, yeah.

cs_zoltan
His fury was 'uncontrolled' in TPM but it still helped him anyway and is there even any indication that it was uncontrolled?

If his amp were controlled then this would've happened: https://youtu.be/IqEtXVh8UOo?t=2m15s

Well that's easy, everytime Kenobi's giving ground means now he's actually just practising Soresu so he's actually undefeatable. However look at all of his TCW fights and he's never on de defense (or giving ground) besides against Grievous when Anakin freeing Eeth Koth or in the Movie against Ventress but he needed to keep his opponents busy on both occassions. On the Turtle Tanker Obi-Wan was directly seeking out higher ground when Maul got the advantage and on Florrum Maul didn't even want to kill him and he was running away from the moment de duel started. So why would Obi-Wan give ground against Maul while he hasn't done that against any of his other opponents in the CW continuity (besides the exceptions I previously mentioned)?

I don't know where you got this when it's in fact the opposite. Kenobi always gives ground when fighting alone with Soresu. Even against a lone MagnaGuard, Pre Vizla, or Cad Bane. That's how he fights, deal with it.

Obi-Wan was outmatched in both their encounters in TCW, he admitted that himself and we've seen it.

He did say so in their frist duel. When He was injured and unbalanced.

As for their second duel, idk where you saw Kenobi being outmatched? Was it when he chopped of Savage's arm with Maul as a backup?

DarthDuelist9
If his amp were controlled then this would've happened: https://youtu.be/IqEtXVh8UOo?t=2m15s

He only did so because he was using the cramped space of the cave and because the brothers were hindering each other as confirmed by the novelization of the fight, good try though.

Because I looked at every fight he had? You're absolutely wrong, he didn't give one meter away against both Bane and Vizla, nor against Grievous on Kamino or against Grievous on Saleucami and so on. Do you really want me to post every single fight he has been in?

So you have evidence that he was hindered in that duel? Please, I'm waiting on it.

It was when he was running away from a holding back Maul.

cs_zoltan
He only did so because he was using the cramped space of the cave and because the brothers were hindering each other as confirmed by the novelization of the fight, good try though.

Because the ship was totally not cramped and fighting two opponents totally doesn't take more than a single one.

Because I looked at every fight he had? You're absolutely wrong, he didn't give one meter away against both Bane and Vizla, nor against Grievous on Kamino or against Grievous on Saleucami and so on. Do you really want me to post every single fight he has been in?

I watched it too before posting. He did gave ground against Bane and Vizla, doesn't matter how much. And in duels where he didn't it was brief. Either way your suggestion that he never gives ground is false, since he did so. Against far inferior opponents than Maul.

So you have evidence that he was hindered in that duel? Please, I'm waiting on it.

https://youtu.be/NYv_gHAKp1I?t=5s mmm

Looked healthy as ever thumb up

And then he got 2 kicks from a mechanical leg that can oneshot Jedi. Yet even then he could tag Maul with kicks and pushes and get his saber back from him.

It was when he was running away from a holding back Maul and Savage.

Fixed.

cs_zoltan
I just noticed this is TPM Maul. So your argument is even more irrelevant.

|King Joker|
Who wins this fight, Zoltan? smile

DarthAnt66
Can go either way.

cs_zoltan
Maybe Maul. But only because of stamina.

DarthDuelist9
Because the ship was totally not cramped and fighting two opponents totally doesn't take more than a single one.

The novel gives that as the reason Obi-Wan is able to last as long as he did, end of discussion.

He gave ground against Bane and Vizla? You mean like two steps? Obi-Wan was litteraly both on the Turtle Tanker and on Florrum running away from Maul, that's something he didn't do in any of his fights, not against Grievous, not against Vizla and not against Bane.

"He looked injured" that's really a good argument.

Maul kicked Obi-Wan after he got his lightsaber back and that's when Obi-Wan began running away from Maul. The episode guide also confirms that Maul & Savage's raw power was to much for Obi-Wan & Ventress without mentioning any apparent injury or hindrance for Obi-Wan.

He admitted later on that he never intended on killing Obi-Wan, I think that falls under the term holding back.

DarthDuelist9
I just noticed this is TPM Maul. So your argument is even more irrelevant.

Season 4 Maul was stated to be restored to his former power (= TPM) so no it's not irrelevant.

cs_zoltan

DarthDuelist9
Dooku also used Dun Moch against Anakin you know and we all know how that turned out. As of now you have presented nothing which indicates that Obi-Wan was hindered by it, instead I proved the exact opposite (TPM) but please I'm still waiting.

Obi-Wan didn't give ground to any of those opponents, I don't know how you apparently faili to see that. In RotS against Grievous that's called giving ground, not just taking two steps back. So Obi-Wan now chooses when he gives ground, even when he doesn't have to? You came to that conclusion all by yourself? Great, now present real evidence and then we can talk.

Now you've determined he had a concussion? Things get crazier every moment.

Maul still needs to make sure he doesn't mortally wound him, which in any case is a hindrance but it hardly matters. Maul was overwhelming Obi-Wan anyway.

cs_zoltan
Dooku also used Dun Moch against Anakin you know and we all know how that turned out. As of now you have presented nothing which indicates that Obi-Wan was hindered by it, instead I proved the exact opposite (TPM) but please I'm still waiting.

Right. So Kenobi performing worse than any other time against Maul means he was amped not weakened.

http://i.imgur.com/r67nafO.gif

Obi-Wan didn't give ground to any of those opponents, I don't know how you apparently faili to see that. In RotS against Grievous that's called giving ground, not just taking two steps back. So Obi-Wan now chooses when he gives ground, even when he doesn't have to? You came to that conclusion all by yourself? Great, now present real evidence and then we can talk.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about it. Stepping back is giving ground. Kenobi is a Soresu fighter, giving ground is the logical thing to do.

Although I love how you ignore part of my arguments and then pretend you are winning.

Are you ever gona address this?

Now you've determined he had a concussion? Things get crazier every moment.

So if someone is beaten unconscious for several hours he didn't have a concussion? Damn, what kind of backwater 3rd world country are you live in if you have no idea about simple biology?

Just for reference, Kenobi was unconscious in RotS for only a few minutes yet he had a concussion:

Bad as Obi-Wan looked, Anakin had stood over the bodies of too many friends on too many battlefields to be panicked by a little blood. One touch to Obi-Wan's throat confirmed the strength of his pulse, and that touch also let Anakin's Force perception flow through the whole body of his friend. His breathing was strong and regular, and no bones were broken: this was a concussion, no more.

Maul still needs to make sure he doesn't mortally wound him, which in any case is a hindrance but it hardly matters. Maul was overwhelming Obi-Wan anyway.

And duelists happen to guard their vital areas the most erm

I guess Kenobi held back too on Mustafar since he only crippled Anakin and didn't kill him.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kurk
Maul So you are admitting you need me by this post.

chingchangwalla
All this comparing TCW Maul when he just got out of insanity, hasn't duelled in ages, and still curbed Obi-Wan hehe

SunRazer
This isn't Season 4 Maul, it's current TCW Maul - or SoD Maul, who's confirmed to be more powerful than his prior incarnation.

Darth Thor
Ben Kenobi's power level hasn't been properly defined yet IMO.

But I'm guessing the better comparison to Ben Kenobi would be Rebels Maul.

DarthDuelist9

chingchangwalla
Noice short story ^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.