Is the Revenge of the Sith video-game usable for debates?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Should the Revenge of the Sith video-game, and in particular Windu vs Anakin, be taken as an alternate yet canonical representation on how such a fight would go down?

Here's Nick Gillard's comments concerning the video-game:

Thoughts?

DarthAnt66
And this, which states the video-game isn't retconning the movie, but rather expanding upon it. That's the official LucasArts summary, BTW.

The Ellimist
I'd take it very tentatively.

UCanShootMyNova
Probably not.

Zenwolf
Ehh...

Kurk
Yes to an extent.

cs_zoltan
The first quote didn't really convince me since it only talkes about how they make the fights authentic.

Btw is there a reason we don't take the game seriously?

Zenwolf
/Shrug

I just figured it's not used, seeing as there's other material that shows better stuff.

cs_zoltan
Well if it used to be C-canon under the old hierarchy then I see no reason not to use it unless contradicted.

Petrus
Like the Drallig fight, for example. But would you use Anakin vs. Windu as a reference or take it at face-value for a real versus scenario?

cs_zoltan
Probably not, because that's blatantly contradicts the movie, the novel and virtually every source on RotS. On the other hand different interpretation of fights that actually happened I see both as valid representations.

Darth Thor
Also Anakin fought Windu right after Windu just fought Palpatine. So the prior fight is bound to have weakened him. Unless we take the quote "no possibility of fatigue" completely literally.

Petrus
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Probably not, because that's blatantly contradicts the movie, the novel and virtually every source on RotS. On the other hand different interpretation of fights that actually happened I see both as valid representations.

Yeah, I meant it as an example as something that contradicts higher canon.

But what about fights that didn't actually happen? Like the Windu vs. Anakin one.

cs_zoltan
Probably not, because that's blatantly contradicts the movie, the novel and virtually every source on RotS.

Petrus

But it's not like the Drallig fight, where we actually see Anakin stomp him in the movie. This is an alternate reality.

cs_zoltan
Which doesn't exist. I'd put more stock in the Drallig fight.

How would something be more legit that never happened than something that happened differently?

Petrus
Well, some people might think it's what would've happened.

I agree, though.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Petrus
Well, some people might think it's what would've happened.

That's nice and all, but they'd have to prove Anakin would win without using the game as a source. Because it never happened. Just like how Galen beating Sidious didn't happen, for example.

Petrus
Yeah, I agree.

MythLord
I feel like it's a mostly accurate portrayal of the character's capabilities(aside from outliars made to make the game challenging like Cin and Serra).

I think that its safe to use the facts that do not contradict the movie, novel or junior novelisation.

SunRazer
Leland Chee made a comment on this once, IIRC.

But I mean, there's things like Drallig matching Anakin's Push and what not. I might be willing to take some of the text in the mission overviews and concept art seriously, since they appear to align with other sources.

DarthAnt66
What did he say?

SunRazer
There's a link on Cin Drallig's Legends Wookieepedia page, but it's dead. The page mentions that he confirms that Drallig's death in the game is non-canon, but we already know that.

Azronger
Bump.

Considering the evidence Ant just laid out, I'd say yes, it's valid. Matt Martin has also clarified alternate story paths in games are accurate to what would happen if the characters chose differently. The evidence is heavily stacked in favor of the game, but I want to hear others' thoughts.

Galan007
Did anyone here play the game when it was first released in 2005(just before the RotS film originally came out)? I did, and the whole point of it was to tease clips/facts directly from the movie. Anyone who completed it essentially knew how most of the film's plot was going to flesh-out... It basically spoiled the entire movie, lol.

Anywho, I think it was certainly considered canon to some degree at the time(where it didn't directly conflict with the film, of course)... But post-2014/Disney acquirement? I'm not so sure.

Azronger
I'm referring to Legends here when I say I think it's canon.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by SunRazer
Leland Chee made a comment on this once, IIRC.

But I mean, there's things like Drallig matching Anakin's Push and what not. I might be willing to take some of the text in the mission overviews and concept art seriously, since they appear to align with other sources.

Obi-Wan also matches Anakin's Force push in ROTS movie.

Nephthys
No, it really isn't. It contradicts too much.

Azronger
What's "too much"?

Nephthys
Anakin doesn't fight Mace for one thing.

Total Warrior
Agreed with Nephthys. That fights with Mace never happened, the duel with Drallig was much shorter in the movie, Grevious vs Obi was too much different as well

Zentrex
As has already been said, I don't think it should be used as proof of what happened, but it should be used as a representations of the character's capabilities. If Mace and Anakin WERE to fight, at least with the amped up Mace right after he defeated palpatine, then I would say it would play out EXACTLY the way it happened in the game.

Kurk
My question for Neph and Total Warrior would be:

Is there any reason to believe that the abilities demonstrated by the characters are unreasonable; or in other words outside their scope?

If so please let it be known. There's no reason why the game shouldn't be used in debates.

SunRazer
Originally posted by Zentrex
As has already been said, I don't think it should be used as proof of what happened, but it should be used as a representations of the character's capabilities. If Mace and Anakin WERE to fight, at least with the amped up Mace right after he defeated palpatine, then I would say it would play out EXACTLY the way it happened in the game.

There's still an enormous disparity between the way the game thinks Drallig vs Anakin would go and the way it actually went according to every other source.

DarthAnt66
That's mainly because the adult novel (by Stover) and the game (by Gillard) were made simultaneously and independently from one-another with no reference material nor assigned power level nor preference about Drallig from Lucas.

With Dooku, Kenobi, Anakin, Mace, etc., there is clear consensus and established continuity to work from.

Azronger
Originally posted by Nephthys
Anakin doesn't fight Mace for one thing.

Originally posted by Azronger
Matt Martin has also clarified alternate story paths in games are accurate to what would happen if the characters chose differently.

DarthAnt66
Martin has no authority, but if you read my interview, that's certainly Lucasfilm's intent with ROTS.

Azronger
He doesn't? He's a member of the story group and DS0 has appealed to his word in our discussions before... something smells fishy here.

DarthAnt66
Martin only has authority with Disney Canon. He wasn't involved with Legends.

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
That's mainly because the adult novel (by Stover) and the game (by Gillard) were made simultaneously and independently from one-another with no reference material nor assigned power level nor preference about Drallig from Lucas.

With Dooku, Kenobi, Anakin, Mace, etc., there is clear consensus and established continuity to work from.

I don't know if that really mattered. They needed Drallig for a boss fight, so they obviously couldn't have him die in two seconds like he did in other sources. I doubt they would've tried to be accurate to the lore or anything even if they did know.

Azronger
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Martin only has authority with Disney Canon. He wasn't involved with Legends.

Do you have proof?

DarthAnt66
erm

I think Harrison has asked him when he joined the continuity before on Twitter, or I bet check the creation of his Wookieepedia.

Not my job to shift through that kind of stuff though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.