Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Demensions: Yugi vs Kaiba (new movie)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
Because I know there's some Yu-Gi-Oh fans here..

O_P-l3zOORg

The improved animation, monster designs, and such has me a bit stoked for the return of the original series.

vansonbee
I'm a huge fan of the original series, but not the squeals and spin-offs. I haven't seen this movie yet, still waiting on proper subs. So is Yugi using the same deck or is it comprise of the current meta?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
http://kotaku.com/the-original-yu-gi-oh-crew-returns-for-one-last-ride-1773030951

Kaiba sounds like he's more of a cock than even I remember.

Galan007
This is something I might actually watch. Definitely enjoyed the original series.

Jmanghan
Nothing is going to beat Blue Eyes Shining Dragon.

Or the original Yu-Gi-Oh movie.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by vansonbee
I'm a huge fan of the original series, but not the squeals and spin-offs. I haven't seen this movie yet, still waiting on proper subs. So is Yugi using the same deck or is it comprise of the current meta?
Same here. And I don't know, but that is a very good question.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Nothing is going to beat Blue Eyes Shining Dragon.

Or the original Yu-Gi-Oh movie.
That movie was non-canon. This one seems to take place after the last arc (hence no pharaoh there dueling sad ). I enjoyed that other movie mentioned, but it wasn't really all that.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Same here. And I don't know, but that is a very good question.

That movie was non-canon. This one seems to take place after the last arc (hence no pharaoh there dueling sad ). I enjoyed that other movie mentioned, but it wasn't really all that. Who said it was non-canon?

It was the only one shown in ****ing theaters for christs sakes.

Don't see why it wouldn't fit in somewhere within the timeline btw.

Galan007
That movie was non-canon. This one seems to take place after the last arc (hence no pharaoh there dueling sad ) On this note, I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction of the God cards/mythos and whatnot -- that entire arc was fun.

I also enjoyed Yugi's duel with Pegasus and his Toon deck WAY back in the day.

Damborgson
Very cool, brings back the memories.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Who said it was non-canon?

It was the only one shown in ****ing theaters for christs sakes.

Don't see why it wouldn't fit in somewhere within the timeline btw.
Pretty much every source? Not really surprising, given how often movies of anime tend to be non-canon. The beginning of the movie implied Pyramid of Light took place pretty much right after Battle City, but you never see Kaiba try to use Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon again later in the series or anything. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't of minded it being canon to the main series with some of the awesome monsters it introduced, but it simply wasn't (it being in theaters is irrelevant). Hell, some of my favorite arcs of the original Yu-Gi-Oh were filler, like Waking the Dragons.

Originally posted by Galan007
On this note, I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction of the God cards/mythos and whatnot -- that entire arc was fun.

I also enjoyed Yugi's duel with Pegasus and his Toon deck WAY back in the day.
Every arc the Egyptian Gods got to be in was fun, whether canon or not. My favorite parts with them may have been when they fought Dartz as the Leviathan and Bakura as Zorc outside of the card game, as it showed where their strengths and limits really lied. My personal fav out of the three was Slifer.

Aye.

Yamcha
I'm so stoked to see life being brought back into the orginal series, it was always my favorite!

Fan of the series for sure, picked up "Legacy Of The Duelist" awhile back for only like 20 bucks, it's fun for if you enjoyed the card game and cuts out the whole having to buy cards IRL thing. Still enjoy hopping online and having a match from time to time. Movie looks awesome I'll definitely be checking it out.

Galan007
Every arc the Egyptian Gods got to be in was fun, whether canon or not. My favorite parts with them may have been when they fought Dartz as the Leviathan and Bakura as Zorc outside of the card game, as it showed where their strengths and limits really lied. My personal fav out of the three was Slifer.

Aye. I was an Obelisk guy, myself. I remember having a nerdgasm when he first appeared in the show.... I couldn't believe TEH POWA!!! laughing out loud

Jmanghan
I will always be a fan of Exodia.

Maybe not a God Card, but he was damn powerful...

Galan007
Exodia > Gods. thumb up

SquallX
Exodia > Gods. thumb up

It's been awhile, but is that still considers canon?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Are we talking in terms of coolness or power? The implication I got in the latter regard is that the Gods reign supreme.

Jmanghan
I mean, Exodia is ahead of Obelisk, dunno about Slither and The Winged Dragon of Ra.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Yamcha
I'm so stoked to see life being brought back into the orginal series, it was always my favorite!

Fan of the series for sure, picked up "Legacy Of The Duelist" awhile back for only like 20 bucks, it's fun for if you enjoyed the card game and cuts out the whole having to buy cards IRL thing. Still enjoy hopping online and having a match from time to time. Movie looks awesome I'll definitely be checking it out.
Back in the day I had gotten some Yu-Gi-Oh games like Duelist of the Roses and Falsebound Kingdom, but I had also gotten plenty cards IRL and built a deck, but that stuff was only used back in high school and I couldn't be bothered to keep up with the metagame or the ghey banned list for the cards after awhile.

Far as the Exodia talk, I always found Exodia Necross cooler, tbh. And yeah, the Gods were always implied to be more powerful. Took more effort on Zorc's part too to beat the gods than for when he beat Exodia, iirc.

Galan007
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Are we talking in terms of coolness or power? The implication I got in the latter regard is that the Gods reign supreme. You draw all parts of Exodia, you win the game instantly. That's what I was talking about.

Ridley_Prime
Maybe that insta-win effect is somehow negated if the Gods are on the other side of the field? I mean the Gods were introduced partly for the purpose of one-upping Exodia, and with all the numerous mentions and stuff that they were more powerful than him, I don't see why they wouldn't be in fact, stronger. Hard to say for sure though.

Galan007
Yeah, maybe. I just know that in the actual card game, there were no stips. You draw all pieces of Exodia, you win the duel. The show may have altered Exodia's insta-win ability vs. the God cards, though -- I honestly don't remember.

AuraAngel
We never see an Exodia deck go up against a God card deck(afaik) but it is repeatedly stated that the God cards>Exodia in the show and in terms of lore that does seem to be the case since they did better against Zorc(though Exodia was being powered by a very old man). They're also at least arguably more practical since getting an Exodia hand is more complicated than getting 3 tributes for a god.

But in practice, in the card game, Exodia should win. None of the God cards mess with the opponents hand and in the final duel Yugi defeated them with a combination of a few traps/spells and the Magnet Warriors. But a series where a bunch of dudes use cards to **** around with their deck to get 5 specific cards wouldn't be as fun to watch as them summoning super monsters like they're Moses splitting the Red Sea.

SquallX
Remember that scene in the final arc were Exodia was used against Zorc? The only reason Exodia lost was because Yami's grandfather had no more life force.

That scene, i always interpreted that Exodia was, and still the most powerful of cards. As long as you have the life force to give him, he'll continue to fight.

SquallX
This is the scene am talking about
UQL0j5wLKsI

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
All that matters is...Numeron Dragon > all. smile

Galan007
This thread made me get all nostalgic, so I went back and downloaded all of the original seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh(a complete pack was pretty hard to find, btw.)

I'm actually surprised how much I still enjoy the series overall. Now I'm even more pumped for this new film. thumb up

Ridley_Prime
Nice! I'm glad you feel that way. I would rewatch the seasons of the original again at some point, but wish they were still more easy to come by like when I first watched the rest.

While I'm nostalgic for this too, it also makes me miss the days of Saturday morning cartoons. The original Yu-Gi-Oh's run was one of the times they were at their peak (well technically it's a shonen jump anime, but you know what I mean).

SquallX
This thread made me get all nostalgic, so I went back and downloaded all of the original seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh(a complete pack was pretty hard to find, btw.)

I'm actually surprised how much I still enjoy the series overall. Now I'm even more pumped for this new film. thumb up

You should read Yu-GI-Oh Zero, that shit was so damn dark. Yami went around and killed people in Shadow Games. That shit was so damn good.

Galan007
Nice! I'm glad you feel that way. I would rewatch the seasons of the original again at some point, but wish they were still more easy to come by like when I first watched the rest.

While I'm nostalgic for this too, it also makes me miss the days of Saturday morning cartoons. The original Yu-Gi-Oh's run was one of the times they were at their peak (well technically it's a shonen jump anime, but you know what I mean). thumb up

I didn't realize it had already been nearly 20 years since Yu-Gi-Oh first aired in the states. F*cking crazy... Makes me feel old. none

Originally posted by SquallX
You should read Yu-GI-Oh Zero, that shit was so damn dark. Yami went around and killed people in Shadow Games. That shit was so damn good. Damn. I'll have to track that down as well. thumb up

SquallX
thumb up

I didn't realize it had already been nearly 20 years since Yu-Gi-Oh first aired in the states. F*cking crazy... Makes me feel old. none

Damn. I'll have to track that down as well. thumb up

If you're fan, you need to watch it, and youll end up loving it. But I personally felt the manga to be the superior of the 2.

Demonic Phoenix

PM me the link? I've just been watching the episodes online.

Ridley_Prime
Looking back, am I the only one who noticed how often everyone in the original series just said "hold on!" practically every episode? I forgot when specifically I first took note of it, but it was when they said it several times in the same episode. Usually it's said in reaction to or when a trap card's about to be activated, but for it to be said every damn time... laughing Either some of the laziest writing I've ever seen or it was a clever inside joke.

May have to do a count of how many times they say it when I watch the series again (there's even video compilations of it), but one thing's for sure, Kaiba says it with the most dramatic integrity. "HOLD ONNN!"

Ridley_Prime
Hadn't looked at this in awhile, but new trailers and stuff.

PG3sUoY61es

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
That's gotta be some of the best animation I have ever seen.

SquallX
Hadn't looked at this in awhile, but new trailers and stuff.

PG3sUoY61es

Fap supreme! laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.