JSA vs Illuminati

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
The Illuminati team that murdered Sun God's world, vs a classic JSA team of Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Johnny Thunder, Dr. Fate, Wildcat, Sandman, and Spectre (Jim Corrigan.)

Loser gets their planet blown up. Who wins?

beatboks
AHH I can't think of a single Illuminati line up that shouldn't be soloed by either Corrigan Spectre of JT. For that matter Fate would go close to also soloing (At least he could take on a few alone)

Zack M
JSA, easily.

Digi
Multiple potential team-busters in that JSA lineup. Illuminati don't stand a chance. They would hang around for a minute only because of Strange. But the magical mojo on this JSA lineup is ridiculous. Fate, JT, and to a certain degree Alan and Spectre. Even a speedblitz scenario might only work against Johnny Thunder, and Jay is a pretty powerful deterrent against that. And Strange is only matching one of them at most for an extended period of time.

The most powerful versions of the JSA are/were seriously overpowered by normal team standards, and this thread is a good example of why. They sh*t all over any comparably "Classic" team of Avengers, JLA, etc.

DarkSaint85
Who did the Illuminati have? Beast would be a non factor. They had Hulk, BB, Strange, Namor, Panther, Reed...

Yeah, in a prep scenario, they have a chance. Not in a straight up fight.

cdtm
Allright, lets give them prep, then.

And Dr. Strange gets that monster he thought it was a good idea to unleash.

DarkSaint85
Even that monster pales in comparison with a 5D imp and the Spirit of Vengeance, tbh.

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Who did the Illuminati have? Beast would be a non factor. They had Hulk, BB, Strange, Namor, Panther, Reed...

Yeah, in a prep scenario, they have a chance. Not in a straight up fight.
Holy cow agree.
The JSA is incredibly stacked here.

Khazra Reborn
That's JSA line up is ridiculous, even in a prep scenario the Illuminati would be in for a tough day.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Digi
Multiple potential team-busters in that JSA lineup. Illuminati don't stand a chance. They would hang around for a minute only because of Strange. But the magical mojo on this JSA lineup is ridiculous. Fate, JT, and to a certain degree Alan and Spectre. Even a speedblitz scenario might only work against Johnny Thunder, and Jay is a pretty powerful deterrent against that. And Strange is only matching one of them at most for an extended period of time.

The most powerful versions of the JSA are/were seriously overpowered by normal team standards, and this thread is a good example of why. They sh*t all over any comparably "Classic" team of Avengers, JLA, etc.
thumb up

The only comparable team is classic Legion of Superheroes. Damn, that team was beastly.

operator616
Depends on what you mean by classic JSA. The golden age incarnations were far inferior to the silver/bronze age. The only time the JSA actually encountered cosmic level threats where twice from what I remember (the embodiment of man's consciousness and Sally with the voice of lorelei), and both of which treated the JSA as far below them, apart from that the entire team has been handled by weak villains such as the monster, thugs taking out JSA with regular gas, the alchemist, sportsmaster, evil star (a human utilizing the power of Hollywood to take them out), mr alpha, etc... etc...

In the silver age they were upgraded significantly, the thunderbolt for instance could now manipulate time (which in the golden age he couldn't) with which he was able to solo the entire JLA. The Spectre was outright stated to have received an upgrade and could now dwarf galaxies when he previously couldn't dwarf a solar system . Dr fate too but on a much lesser level since back in the days the whole half helm/full helm was never associated with his power level directly, and he was never on Spectre's level, he never had any feats which even come close to him. but there's also the fact that the characers were actually more impressive in their solo series than when they worked as a team. Heck at one point the spectre couldn't alter his size 10 times than his regular (in the all star comics which featured JSA) when in his solo title (more fun comics) he has dwarfed the entire earth. Point being though, is that silver age JSA were on another level completely. If anything the fact that GA JSA couldn't singlehandedly stop WW2 is quite telling, in the bronze age it was established that they couldn't stop it due to hitler's spear of destiny which was used as a plot device.

Zack M
Originally posted by operator616
Depends on what you mean by classic JSA. The golden age incarnations were far inferior to the silver/bronze age. The only time the JSA actually encountered cosmic level threats where twice from what I remember (the embodiment of man's consciousness and Sally with the voice of lorelei), and both of which treated the JSA as far below them, apart from that the entire team has been handled by weak villains such as the monster, thugs taking out JSA with regular gas, the alchemist, sportsmaster, evil star (a human utilizing the power of Hollywood to take them out), mr alpha, etc... etc...

In the silver age they were upgraded significantly, the thunderbolt for instance could now manipulate time (which in the golden age he couldn't) with which he was able to solo the entire JLA. The Spectre was outright stated to have received an upgrade and could now dwarf galaxies when he previously couldn't dwarf a solar system . Dr fate too but on a much lesser level since back in the days the whole half helm/full helm was never associated with his power level directly, and he was never on Spectre's level, he never had any feats which even come close to him. but there's also the fact that the characers were actually more impressive in their solo series than when they worked as a team. Heck at one point the spectre couldn't alter his size 10 times than his regular (in the all star comics which featured JSA) when in his solo title (more fun comics) he has dwarfed the entire earth. Point being though, is that silver age JSA were on another level completely. If anything the fact that GA JSA couldn't singlehandedly stop WW2 is quite telling, in the bronze age it was established that they couldn't stop it due to hitler's spear of destiny which was used as a plot device.

Do you have scans of Sally?

operator616
Originally posted by Zack M
Do you have scans of Sally?

Here's her handling/warping the JSA. Be advised the scans are very old, it's from the 1940s all star comics:

http://imgur.com/S54OhjJ
http://imgur.com/L9nnZfp

She basically had wish granting powers. Alan encountered a similar being back in the golden age in his own title in GLQ #15. Albert Zero, and his wish granting power was ineffective against Alan's protective aura actually:

http://imgur.com/ykozjqM

Albert Zero was stated to be able to destroy and recreate the world with a thought, he also caused volcanoes and natural disasters throughout the earth with a thought, and manipulated the sun. All with his wishes/thoughts.

Yet, against Sally he never conjured such a protective aura (back then Alan never had an auto-shield like the one which was introduced in Hal's series in the silver age). Yes, even modern comics are inconsistent but back then it was even more-so. Specifically what I said earlier about characters being more impressive in their solo titles than in the all star comics/JSA book where they are suddenly downgraded (actually they took the spectre to a ridulously pathetic level in the all star comics book). Do note that this feat of Alan's isn't his average by any means, he wasn't as powerful as he became later on, on average at least. Golden age Jay encountered someone similar in Flash #32 but nothing came out of it.

Also spectre encountered cosmic beings in more fun comics, but at the JSA he never was. And neither was he treated like he was in more fun comics. So the JSA as a team was never impressive back then.

Zack M
Thanks a bunch, op!

beatboks

Theres no denying that in all star comics as part of the team the heavyweights were seriously downplayed. Its also quite clear that their power levels were quite a bit below later iteratuons. Even in his own title Spectre for example needed the help of the Voice (now called presence) every time he faced Zor who on showings was leagues below BA and SA enemies.

Still the retcons of the BA set in the Golden age brought things up to par. Roy Thomas did a lot of work in All Star Squadron to explain all the inconsistancies. For example there is no way that Spectre could have achieved the feat he did when the Freedom Fighters crossed to earth X (holding earth 2 and X apart) in the golden age. Likewise GA Brainwave wasnt up to much of what he did in issue 19,20. I mean the best wesaw in the GA was a few mental projections at a time. Some grabbing WW and the JSA girlfriends. One shooting someoen newr hawkman etc. His later appearances he used more inventions like a force field that repelled energy amplified (Alans ring energy turning back on himself etc). This also made the feats of Alan i issue 20 quite varient also.

The same could be said for the early JLA stories. I mean IIRC Superman had to pull Wonder Woman out of quicksand in thier first encounter with the lamo version of Despero. Supes and Bats used to save the JLA every one of the first dozen or so issues because they were written so low end.

operator616
Originally posted by beatboks
Theres no denying that in all star comics as part of the team the heavyweights were seriously downplayed. Its also quite clear that their power levels were quite a bit below later iteratuons. Even in his own title Spectre for example needed the help of the Voice (now called presence) every time he faced Zor who on showings was leagues below BA and SA enemies.

Still the retcons of the BA set in the Golden age brought things up to par. Roy Thomas did a lot of work in All Star Squadron to explain all the inconsistancies. For example there is no way that Spectre could have achieved the feat he did when the Freedom Fighters crossed to earth X (holding earth 2 and X apart) in the golden age.

Yes he needed the the voice's help to fight zor but zor himself was actually extremely powerful, he dwarfed the entire solar system. That feat in All Star Squadron actually shouldn't be beyond GA Spectre's abilities although I guess it depends on your interpretation of it. in More Fun comics (golden age) the spectre was able to move an entire planet with a thought:

http://imgur.com/xVBYL8w

He's also destroyed a planet with a single thought in an earlier issue but that was with the ring of life. However, remember when he confronted Zor he was able to dwarf entire planets:

http://imgur.com/Q53oSYG

Yet this was the best he could do in ASS:

http://imgur.com/NNe3aFs

So he could conceivably replicate the ASS feat, however, it is a bit ambiguous because it involved also holding apart the dimensional barriers between the two Earths. So that feat could be well beyond just holding two planets apart. He's also encountered a similar situation in JLA #46-47.

Also, from what I recall that showing takes place right before Spectre's upgrade reveal in All Star Squadron annual #3, which has been noted to take place right before the events of All-Star Squadron #36-37, and thus after ASS #33-35 involving the two earths storyline.

The spear of destiny was perhaps the best part the All star squadron came up with regarding why the JSA couldn't solo WW2. I remember also them putting together the early superman stories when luthor acquired the power stone and most famously the time when the JSA were bfr'd to the various planets of the solar system (which the ASS retconned into alternate dimensions); and even sought out to tie up continuity problems after COIE happened like who battled the villains which E2 Superman was supposed to battle (E2 superman didn't exist at this point), setting Superman v1 #19 as an example. They definitely tied things up pretty well but there are still inconsistencies which are inevitable I guess.

Likewise GA Brainwave wasnt up to much of what he did in issue 19,20. I mean the best wesaw in the GA was a few mental projections at a time. Some grabbing WW and the JSA girlfriends. One shooting someoen newr hawkman etc. His later appearances he used more inventions like a force field that repelled energy amplified (Alans ring energy turning back on himself etc). This also made the feats of Alan i issue 20 quite varient also.

Brainwave's powers have always been contradictory and not well defined. Even back in the golden age, it was stated that his mental projections are three-dimensional, yet for some reason they didn't appear to have any effect on a physical level, his shtick was causing death from the fear/shock while being in a suspended animation state, at least in the golden age. His most impressive appearance and the one where he actually displayed some impressive powers were in All-Star comics v2 when the JSA's title re-surfaced in the bronze age (the one you referenced). We did see Brainwave displaying actual abilities like making robin collide with power girl, and his thought beams, along with Degaton's help was able to handle the entire super squad (actually fight them and not take them out off-panel like usual). Apart from that he was about to send a beam to displace the entire Earth, which is well above anything he has tried to do previously. Then in ASS #19-20 we see BW's usual off-panel JSA take down and putting them in suspended animation like always. Those never impressed me.

The same could be said for the early JLA stories. I mean IIRC Superman had to pull Wonder Woman out of quicksand in thier first encounter with the lamo version of Despero. Supes and Bats used to save the JLA every one of the first dozen or so issues because they were written so low end.

laughing out loud WW was pretty pathetic back then. Although to her defense, in a later comic, she did free herself from a similar situation (quicksand) along with the flash and GA iirc, and she did save the JLA even early on (in JLA #11). But yeah...she also couldn't break a regular wall with her tiara before the water would drown her, which was like still at her legs at the time; also couldn't break a grip from a bird hawk which got one-shotted by MM; KO'd by car fumes, etc...

Still, silver age was mostly an upgrade for most characters. For example, back in the golden age, Jay never even went many times FTL; there was several times that he went "faster than light" but the whole "many times FTL" concept didn't even exist back then from what I recall while Barry did in the silver age (Even though if it was established that his average upper limit was 10 times FTL). Same thing with GL, Alan lighting up a mere city was like the cream of the crop back then, later on Hal was able to do much more impressive things like mindrape the entire earth, move planets, forming a net around Jupiter, powering up a dimming sun, restoring evolution to children across the planet, etc... hell even Alan when he reappeared in the silver age was able to do things like displacing the entire E2 population to E1 (another universe) -- something which seemed completely out of his league in the golden age. Even Superman's planet level feats hadn't manifested until only late golden age (iirc the first one was in Superman #58). Most of the golden age characters were pretty weak.

beatboks
The thing with the Golden age was most characters only fought normal humans.

Most of GLs stories were against normal everyday criminals.

When it comes to jay the only feat I recall of his even close to ftl (and we're talking JUST) was when he used his speed for invisibility. He would follow hoods so close he could knock the hun out of their hand but sti have them looking around going "who did that" even though hed never left their side.

Hourman used to get into more trouble than Robin Batma stories. Its amazing he survived his first few months as a hero because i dont think I read a single issue/story of his where he didnt get KOd somewhere thru it while the bad guy got away. Why none of those villains never killed him is beyond me.

At least starman usually went up against super scientists. With their weapons

Dr Fate and Spectre were at least two of the few who actually faced super (or rather mystical) oponents as often as not.

operator616
The thing with the Golden age was most characters only fought normal humans.

Most of GLs stories were against normal everyday criminals.

This is true. thumb up

When it comes to jay the only feat I recall of his even close to ftl (and we're talking JUST) was when he used his speed for invisibility. He would follow hoods so close he could knock the hun out of their hand but sti have them looking around going "who did that" even though hed never left their side.

Hourman used to get into more trouble than Robin Batma stories. Its amazing he survived his first few months as a hero because i dont think I read a single issue/story of his where he didnt get KOd somewhere thru it while the bad guy got away. Why none of those villains never killed him is beyond me.

I think your memory is fuzzy about that one. Jay has actually gone FTL many times. Here are two example of Jay going FTL (from Flash #43 and Flash #94 respectively).

http://imgur.com/SLzf9KG
http://imgur.com/TInsSHp

However, what I was trying to say is that the "many times FTL" concept wasn't used back then.

Talking about Hourman though, the miraclo pill was stated to give Rex "the speed of light", and we definitely know that he isn't that fast, or anywhere near for that matter, so the FTL statements in the golden age may as well be hyperbole anyway (and in some cases, the context of the scene supports this)

At least starman usually went up against super scientists. With their weapons

Dr Fate and Spectre were at least two of the few who actually faced super (or rather mystical) oponents as often as not.

Indeed, although in Fate's case he was depowered and was gradually downgraded to being a physical powerhouse rather than the nigh-omnipotent character he was introduced to be (at least by golden age standards). And ever since the lung weakness appeared in that half helm issue, he was regularly taken out by thugs through it. It even became common knowledge for the criminal community a few issues later.

beatboks

I think your memory is fuzzy about that one. Jay has actually gone FTL many times. Here are two example of Jay going FTL (from Flash #43 and Flash #94 respectively).

http://imgur.com/SLzf9KG
http://imgur.com/TInsSHp

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at.
Yes there are statements but the feats they relate to aren't FTL.
The example of that second scan foe example. 10 miles is 16km. so 16000 meters. If we take a fraction of a second to be 1/100 that makes it a speed feat of 160,000 m/s. In short about 0.00056 the speed of light.

Yes there were references to him going FTL or "with the raqpidity of light" Like this one from the opening sequences of Flash 8
http://static8.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1404525-flash08_03.jpg

The rest of that issue however is one of the examples I'm talking about
http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1323134-flash08_05.jpg

Or this one from Flash 6
http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1404529-flash_comics_006_06.jpg

The only thing Jay ever actually did as a feat in the GA to substantiate FTL speeds (not counting editorial comments that may or may not be as you said Hyperbole) is use his speed to achieve invisibility. On several occasions he managed to stay beside his enemies and watch them unseen without being seen or even leaving an after image due to only his speed.

I also don't buy any statements of Hourman being Light speed. Espeically when
http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/00190AdventureComics48-Page7.jpg.html
A speeding police car from the 40's in his words has "almost as much kick as Miraclo". Added to which he often had to push himself to beat a car to a place. 50 to 60MPH is about the best i'd give him for speed.

Yea the whole Half Helmet Fate thing was also incredibly inconsistent.
I mean in some stories he could still move energy, others showed TP
http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/5430465-half+helmet+fate++telepathy.jpg
In others he could still levitate things at will

But you right, it was ridiculous how many villains knew exactly how to take him down
http://static6.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/5430469-more+fun+comics+%2387+-+page+24.jpg

Enemies he'd JUST met for the first time knew he needed air to breath.

operator616
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at.
Yes there are statements but the feats they relate to aren't FTL.
The example of that second scan foe example. 10 miles is 16km. so 16000 meters. If we take a fraction of a second to be 1/100 that makes it a speed feat of 160,000 m/s. In short about 0.00056 the speed of light.

Yes there were references to him going FTL or "with the raqpidity of light" Like this one from the opening sequences of Flash 8
http://static8.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1404525-flash08_03.jpg

The rest of that issue however is one of the examples I'm talking about
http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1323134-flash08_05.jpg

Or this one from Flash 6
http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/1404529-flash_comics_006_06.jpg

The only thing Jay ever actually did as a feat in the GA to substantiate FTL speeds (not counting editorial comments that may or may not be as you said Hyperbole) is use his speed to achieve invisibility. On several occasions he managed to stay beside his enemies and watch them unseen without being seen or even leaving an after image due to only his speed.

I get what you're saying but I still disagree.

Here's one from Flash #88:

http://imgur.com/Bc9MlPY

We know this one's not hyperbole since he broke the space-time barrier specifically to time travel. I did get what you mean initially because I myself said that there are statements which appear to be hyperbole based on the context of the scene. Flash has also gone "faster than ever before" to rip a hole in time in time when combined with electric force. All Flash Quarterly #18

http://imgur.com/eJyBmyT
http://imgur.com/QrZVdyX

He's also gone "faster than ever" in Flash #44 and ended up time traveling as well but I don't recall it being specified that he went FTL in that instance.

So no, I definitely do not think that him going invisible which he did on a regular basis, is the fastest he's gone.

I also don't buy any statements of Hourman being Light speed. Espeically when
http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/00190AdventureComics48-Page7.jpg.html
A speeding police car from the 40's in his words has "almost as much kick as Miraclo". Added to which he often had to push himself to beat a car to a place. 50 to 60MPH is about the best i'd give him for speed.

thumb up That goes without saying. Hourman's nowhere near that level.

Yea the whole Half Helmet Fate thing was also incredibly inconsistent.
I mean in some stories he could still move energy, others showed TP
http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/5430465-half+helmet+fate++telepathy.jpg
In others he could still levitate things at will

But you right, it was ridiculous how many villains knew exactly how to take him down
http://static6.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30145/5430469-more+fun+comics+%2387+-+page+24.jpg

Enemies he'd JUST met for the first time knew he needed air to breath.

He's also used magnetic powers, electric and other random magical stuff. Evidently he did have some magic powers left, even though according to the all star squadron retcon it was stated that he was mostly physical and the only place where he could do any magic was his tower. And back in more fun comics there was even an instance where he couldn't climb/fly out of a well for some reason iirc.

beatboks
I get what you're saying but I still disagree.

Here's one from Flash #88:

http://imgur.com/Bc9MlPY

We know this one's not hyperbole since he broke the space-time barrier specifically to time travel. I did get what you mean initially because I myself said that there are statements which appear to be hyperbole based on the context of the scene. Flash has also gone "faster than ever before" to rip a hole in time in time when combined with electric force. All Flash Quarterly #18

http://imgur.com/eJyBmyT
http://imgur.com/QrZVdyX

He's also gone "faster than ever" in Flash #44 and ended up time traveling as well but I don't recall it being specified that he went FTL in that instance.

So no, I definitely do not think that him going invisible which he did on a regular basis, is the fastest he's gone.

Learn something new every day, thanks.
It's an issue of exposure then, my copies of GA Flash only go up to issue 36 of Flash (missing a few in the teens) and all I have of All Flash are issues 4,6, and 7.

My collections of more fun and Al American/ cavelcade are much more comprehensive.
More fun between issues 55 and 98 (Fate's era)I'm missing 62,63,64, 72,73,79 and 90

For all American from issue 15 to 102 I'm missing 39,72,73,75,81,82,83,85,91,97 and 101

At least those are the issue numbers still on my to hunt for list. So I hope I have kept an accurate track. It's costing me a lot more to obtain these comics now than as a kid in the 60's shopping in second hand book stores . eek! big grin
Though ironically the quality of the books I'm getting now in many cases is better than back then.

The dearest book that I couldn't even compete in the bidding for after a few days was an MLJ Black Hood 40's issue. I bowed out when the price hit $400 on ebay and it still had 3 days to go.

If you (or anyone) knows anywhere that has these issues that I don't need minting plates to be able to afford, I'd greatly appreciate and point in the right direction.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.