Is there a word for someone who's the opposite of a patriot?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
No, i dont mean traitor.
A patriot's defined as "a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors" (deteactor itself is too general a term for what i'm after).
I'm thinking of a person who's the opposite of that, who always rags on their country, its policies, who says he/she'd move to Canada rather than serve in the military.

Traitor's too strong a word for that type of person (i know folks who'd disagree but still), but i cant find a word for what i've tried to describe.

Lord Lucien
"Someone-with-a-thought-of-their-own" is the word.

riv6672
Always funny when i cant read the first response.

Raisen
As you can see by Lucien' reply Liberal is the word you are looking for

Scribble
Yeah I believe those people are known as LIBERALS!!!

All kidding aside, from looking it up 'traitor' is the only word I can find (other than 'expatriot' which doesn't seem to be a real word or is archaic ). There might be a word for it in another language, though.
Originally posted by Raisen
As you can see by Lucien' reply Liberal is the word you are looking for Aw, you beat me to it. Although the degree of irony used is obviously on opposite ends of the spectrum.

riv6672
Thanks Scribble.
Even funnier when the second response is one i cant read, either. stick out tongue
Third response was the charm.
If i find anything from other sources i'll be sure and post it. thumb up

Scribble
No worries, Riv. I was thinking on it and perhaps the reason why there isn't a more definite term for it is because of how deep patriotism runs, and how fervent patriotism used to be (and to a fair degree, still is, particularly is times of war). Coming up with a sensible term for someone who is opposed to patriotism wouldn't be as effective as outright labelling them a 'traitor', which implies that they are a danger to their own country and would happily betray their countrymen (think of how effective that term would be in periods like the Cold War with the threat of communism). But then again, I'm surprised that people opposed to patriotism haven't come up with a word for themselves that sums up their ideals neatly, either.

riv6672
Originally posted by Scribble
No worries, Riv. I was thinking on it and perhaps the reason why there isn't a more definite term for it is because of how deep patriotism runs, and how fervent patriotism used to be (and to a fair degree, still is, particularly is times of war). Coming up with a sensible term for someone who is opposed to patriotism wouldn't be as effective as outright labelling them a 'traitor', which implies that they are a danger to their own country and would happily betray their countrymen (think of how effective that term would be in periods like the Cold War with the threat of communism). But then again, I'm surprised that people opposed to patriotism haven't come up with a word for themselves that sums up their ideals neatly, either.
^^^Yeah, something that paints them in a more flattering light than "traitor" to be sure.

Someone off site just suggested dissenter, which led me to dissident. That word seems to fit what i was looking for, though its not listed as an antonym of patriot. Maybe it should be, though.

krisblaze
Sensible person I would say.

riv6672
oh ho ho ho! smile

Lord Lucien
Not-a-jingoist, is another.

riv6672
That?
I'd take your word for it, as i'm nit reading the quote...but i highly doubt it, otherwise i'd have read the original post. eek!

I got what i wanted, answer wise though (as well as a few good laughs at some folks: Bonus!), so you kids can keep playing "i'm superior on the internet" in here if you want, my treat, sock account #2654 thumb up

Robtard
The anti-patriot

/thread

Surtur
Anarchist?

riv6672
Hmm. Sock #2654 seems to be gone. No anarchy here. laughing

But really, dissident seems to be the word i needed.

Robtard
Sock? Maybe you're just joking? But L-Lucian has been around for about as long as I have, 11+ years

riv6672
Nah, not Lucian, though i have him on ignore for lack of entertainment value; some kid named Wang who registered this morning and started the usual forum bait shit.
Threads and posts are now erased.

Robtard
Ah, okay.

jaden101
Oikophobic is sometimes used in the country/political sense rather than the original meaning of hating your home/surroundings.

riv6672
That is very interesting. I thank thee.

Stigma
Originally posted by Raisen
As you can see by Lucien' reply Liberal is the word you are looking for
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.