What do foreigners think of Poland?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKBart
Interested in opinions among other countries.

Surtur
To be honest I don't think much about Poland at all. By that I mean: I don't have any issues with the country, it's just not a place I often think about.

In a way I feel that is good. Since the countries in Europe that I do know more about..I know more about them due to all the troubles they are going through right now. So I can't say I have any issues with the country at all. My grandma's grandma was from Poland.

Other than that..most of what I know is stuff that happened during WW2.

Adam_PoE
They don't think of Poland at all.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
They don't think of Poland at all.

Scribble
Dey tuk urr jerbs

Lord Lucien
How many Poles are Britland?

riv6672
Originally posted by JKBart
Interested in opinions among other countries.
Been there; nice country.

MS Warehouse
Interested in opinions among other countries. how many Polish it takes to screw in a light bulb?

JKBart
Originally posted by MS Warehouse
how many Polish it takes to screw in a light bulb?

definitely too many because we suck at basic jobs

Scribble
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
How many Poles are Britland? There's a fair Polish community in England, and Polish food shops aren't that uncommon, even in smaller towns. The stereotype of them stealing jobs isn't entirely unfounded, I know of a few people (i.e., my parents' friends) who have lost a lot of work due to Polish immigrants working manual labour jobs for under the living wage. I'm not saying that that's a good reason for these people to to start voting UKIP, but I can sympathise with them, at least. And of course, that's not to say all Polish immigrants are doing as such. But from what I've gleaned, most Polish immigrants in the UK do come from rather poor backgrounds.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Scribble
There's a fair Polish community in England, and Polish food shops aren't that uncommon, even in smaller towns. The stereotype of them stealing jobs isn't entirely unfounded, I know of a few people (i.e., my parents' friends) who have lost a lot of work due to Polish immigrants working manual labour jobs for under the living wage. I'm not saying that that's a good reason for these people to to start voting UKIP, but I can sympathise with them, at least. And of course, that's not to say all Polish immigrants are doing as such. But from what I've gleaned, most Polish immigrants in the UK do come from rather poor backgrounds. Are the British nationalists comparable to the Americans, calling for a boycott on all immigration, mass deportations, and literal walls? Is the hatred for the Poles in Britain on the same level as the hatred for the Mexicans and other Latinos in the States?

jaden101
They're good drinkers.

krisblaze
Cheap beer.

Shit carpenters.

Scribble
Are the British nationalists comparable to the Americans, calling for a boycott on all immigration, mass deportations, and literal walls? Is the hatred for the Poles in Britain on the same level as the hatred for the Mexicans and other Latinos in the States? Yeah, the nationalists are pretty similar, to be honest. There's supposedly a wall being built around the Calais refugee camp in France so that they can't go down the Channel Tunnel to the UK, and that'll make them happy. The anti-Polish sentiment used to be pretty high whilst I was in school (Romanians got their fair share of hate, too), but I think the attention has primarily been focused on the people from the various Islamic countries that move here now. Also, most of the more extreme nationalists here are also members of the working or lower classes, generally (or pretend to be. See: Farage).

ArtificialGlory
Even though I live in a country right next to Poland, I don't really think much of anything about it. Well, aside from that crappy 'Made in Poland' air conditioner I bought which I still can't get over.

Stigma

Surtur
But the point should be made that in a lot of those countries that you always hear are really great to live in...people also don't think much about them either. You could also compare it to our news. The news will more often report on either a story that is neutral or a story that is negative. Positive stories are in the minority.

I just say this because it almost felt some people thought it was a negative trait to not have these certain countries on your mind.

Surtur
Originally posted by Scribble
I know of a few people (i.e., my parents' friends) who have lost a lot of work due to Polish immigrants working manual labour jobs for under the living wage.

This is exactly one of the same issues we have here in America. People will work for a lesser wage and then those that live here lose out. But then we have the stigma that this is all because non-latino's just don't like to do grunt work. Which is actually kind of insulting to all the people who do indeed do that grunt work(of all races). I know people who shovel shit for a living and they aren't latino.

What also isn't talked about is this also negatively effects the latino's who actually worked to come here legally.

Are the British nationalists comparable to the Americans, calling for a boycott on all immigration, mass deportations, and literal walls? Is the hatred for the Poles in Britain on the same level as the hatred for the Mexicans and other Latinos in the States?

IMO the level of "hatred" in the USA isn't that high. I'm sure some people have genuine hatred, but I don't hate them. In a perfect world they could indeed come into this country without any negative effects. But that isn't the reality.

The reality is sometimes stuff like this goes down:

Illegal immigrant charged with murder in California fire had prior arrests, was never deported

Sin I AM
Originally posted by riv6672
Been there; nice country.

Stigma
Originally posted by Surtur
But the point should be made that in a lot of those countries that you always hear are really great to live in...people also don't think much about them either. You could also compare it to our news. The news will more often report on either a story that is neutral or a story that is negative. Positive stories are in the minority.

I just say this because it almost felt some people thought it was a negative trait to not have these certain countries on your mind.
Well, I agree.

Like you said what makes the news is usually something either very negative or extremely impactful or controversial.

To borrow the style from Thomas Sowell even if "Americans do not think about Poland, it is also true that Poles do not think of Spain. Spaniards do not think of Australia, and all sorts of nationalities do not think of others."

On the other hand, at least recently, most news that were coming from Europe were either about the migrant crisis and terrorist attacks in Germany or France, or Brexit. That pretty much covers 95% of the news from Europe. Even war in Ukraine kinda almost disappeared from the media outlets.

But on topic. Poland is associated definitely with beautful women, very hospitable people and, as mentioned above, heavy drinking. thumb up

On the flip side a lot of immigrants that come to other countries like GB or Germany from Poland are usually from the poorer or less educated classes. On the other hand, vast majoity of them is interested in hard and honest work, so there's that.

Having travelled around Europe and the US I can attest that Poland should also be recognized for its great food, good bear and a common sensical and warm approach to life that trumps many Western lifestyles and ideologies.

Stigma
This is exactly one of the same issues we have here in America. People will work for a lesser wage and then those that live here lose out.
Huh. Interestingly the same problem hit Poland recently, when immigrants from Ukraine take jobs for much smaller wages than Poles would want to have.

Surtur
But are those immigrants there illegally? Or legally?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Stigma
Huh. Interestingly the same problem hit Poland recently, when immigrants from Ukraine take jobs for much smaller wages than Poles would want to have.

Poland doesnt have a minimum wage?

Stigma
But are those immigrants there illegally? Or legally?
I'd say vast majority, if not all are here legally. But the same can be said about Poles immigrating to the UK, for instance. They are there legally.

I guess you mean the illegal immigation to the US. In this case, it's different in the US.

Originally posted by Sin I AM
Poland doesnt have a minimum wage?
We do.

Yet we also have a more complex variety of contracts that can be established between the employer and the employee.

In a nutshell, some of them, theoretically, allow the employer to establish whatever wage he is willing to give. Of couse, you don't have to take it. On the other hand for immigrants from Ukraine it's still good money even if for a Pole it's a tiny amount.

Sin I AM
I'd say vast majority, if not all are here legally. But the same can be said about Poles immigrating to the UK, for instance. They are there legally.

I guess you mean the illegal immigation to the US. In this case, it's different in the US.

We do.

Yet we also have a more complex variety of contracts that can be established between the employer and the employee.

In a nutshell, some of them, theoretically, allow the employer to establish whatever wage he is willing to give. Of couse, you don't have to take it. On the other hand for immigrants from Ukraine it's still good money even if for a Pole it's a tiny amount.

This doesn't make sense. They are taking jobs Poles dont want...not seeing the issue

Surtur

I understand. But yeah, the problem is when people are here illegally you can pay them "under the table" so to speak. In other words you are paying them in cash, but you are paying them less than the set minimum wage. It's not like the illegals can do much about it so they have to take it. So then this idea spreads and you have people who have a business and they have the option of paying legal people a certain wage, or paying illegals far less. They choose the people they can pay the least money.

So while they are coming here to make a better life..they are preventing legal citizens from doing the same.

But this topic is about Poland. Having read the rest of your response I see there is a complex contract system. It sounds like greed wins the day..just like here.

Flyattractor
Nice Country and Weather Climates.

Nephthys
The Witcher is cool.

shiv
definitely too many because we suck at basic jobs

No you don't.

Poland is a lovely country.

You are a fine people.

It is always a pleasure to meet and work with some one who is Polish.

You have some very good research scientists working for private companies and on public government projects in England.

You have the best striker in Europe.

You are a fine people

Lucius
You guys had this big Commonwealth with Lithuania back in the day. A personal union under a Jagellion? Was a major power in Europe until it collapsed in the 18th century. Russian Empire made Poland a client state during the 19th century after Napoleon was defeated. Poland gained independence after WW1. During WWII, Poland had the misfortune of being stuck between the two biggest pricks in history.

That's everything I know about Poland and Poles.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Witcher is cool.

Great series, Poland actually gave the first game in the series on PC to Obama as a gift. That's actually pretty awesome to give a video game as a gift to a President.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Witcher is cool.

Politico
Hillary gave Russia the "overcharge" button to make them more powerful and Poland wound up weaker because of it. Not to mention that we are depending on Russia to solve the problem in Syria.

Gorilla
I heard lotsa good stuff about polish ladies wink

Surtur
Yeah, hot blonde polish chicks are pretty sweet.

Gorilla
yeah all of them eastern european ladies are not that bad

Surtur
Until they start to talk.

Zing!

Gorilla
roll eyes (sarcastic) thats not what i was referring to

Stigma

Gorilla
"- Polish women are absurdly hot. /fact"
they are ok
Ukrainian/Russian are hotter imo

Stigma
Originally posted by Gorilla
"- Polish women are absurdly hot. /fact"
they are ok
Ukrainian/Russian are hotter imo
To each their own. thumb up

I actually dated two Ukrainian girls and they were crazy hot too. I think there is something about Slavic women in general that makes them uber hot.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.