Best Novel in Legends

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SunRazer
Time to revive this discussion.

As of yet, it's a toss-up between Yoda: Dark Rendezous and Revenge of the Sith for me.

Ursumeles
Not read many in last time-also not in the years, where I am intelligent enough to rate them, lol. Darth Plagueis or RotS for me.

SunRazer
DP is excellent but and certainly among the elite pantheon, but I don't think it's a contender for the best novel ever. Although I did have it as #2 once.

Ursumeles
I like Lucenos writing Style more than Dtovers, tbh.
I think RotS is a better book, tho, yeah.
IIRC TuF was also great.

The_Tempest
YDR, easily.
Best characterization, best prose, sharp dialogue. Yoda, Dooku, and Ventress are never better, the original characters are all strong, most obviously Scout. The only weak part of the book is the shoehorned addition of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

SunRazer
I'd say RotS contends pretty well in terms of characterization. The overwhelming use of hyperbole and interior monologue does force me to take a few points off, though, so I guess Dark Rendezvous does lead there.

RotS' fight scenes were better, too.

The_Tempest
Stover's great and so is ROTS, but he has a tendency to abuse purple prose and wax philosophic. Sometimes that has its place, like Traitor. But YDR is much tighter and is still able to convey deep philosophical discussion.

Characterization is still something I'd give to YDR. ROTS is superb with Anakin, Grievous, and maybe Obi-Wan. But Dooku is a colossal misfire and I'd say YDR's Sidious is more memorable than ROTS despite being peripheral to the story. In contrast, pretty much everyone in YDR is compellingly memorable, minus Anakin and Obi-Wan.

I might give ROTS the nod in terms of fight scenes, but that's honesty pretty low on the totem pole for me. Fight scenes are almost always far better portrayed in visual media.

SunRazer
Yeah, Stover's way too verbose in every chapter, lol.

RotS is unquestionably superb with Obi-Wan, lol. And it's Sidious was better, too. Dooku a "colossal misfire"? What?

Actually, the reason I like the RotS novel in terms of fight scenes is because it's less to do with the intricacies (at some points, at least) and technicalities and more to do with the philosophical stakes.

RotS probably has the more memorable scenes, too.

Ursumeles
I wanna read YDR now, lol.

Deronn_solo
Heir to the Empire.

SunRazer
Thrawn Trilogy's good but overrated, IMO. Heir's in the upper echelons of SW novels, probably in the elite pantheon, but not among the very best, as I see it.

Beniboybling
I read the RotS novel like a month ago, it was pretty rad yeah.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by SunRazer
Yeah, Stover's way too verbose in every chapter, lol.

RotS is unquestionably superb with Obi-Wan, lol. And it's Sidious was better, too. Dooku a "colossal misfire"? What?

Actually, the reason I like the RotS novel in terms of fight scenes is because it's less to do with the intricacies (at some points, at least) and technicalities and more to do with the philosophical stakes.

RotS probably has the more memorable scenes, too.

Nah, I found YDR's Sidious to be more memorable than ROTS's.
Dooku was infinitely more compelling in YDR than the mustache-twirling xenophobic racist sociopathic snob he became in the ROTS novel.

Yeah, but there again, fight scenes are relatively low on my totem pole for SW novels. I go into it with low expectations.

Maybe, but that owes to the much more epic storyline than the relatively more intimate and low key YDR.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by SunRazer
Thrawn Trilogy's good but overrated, IMO. Heir's in the upper echelons of SW novels, probably in the elite pantheon, but not among the very best, as I see it.
thumb up Also, imo is Dark Force rising better, tbh.

Trocity
Revenge of the Sith without question; Dark Rendezvous is a little overrated.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Trocity
Dark Rendezvous is a little overrated.

This is the day we became enemies.

|King Joker|
I loved the internal monologues in RotS; reading how each character was feeling and what they were thinking more in-depth was very enjoyable and insightful.

UCanShootMyNova
LoE maybe.

Fated Xtasy
Really?

YDR and RotS are gold to be sure, but I would never say Labyrinth of Evil is that good.

Personally I love the **** out of Shatterpoint for how gruesome and mentally fragile it portrayed those that flirted with the Dark Side.

It's delicious tbh

UCanShootMyNova
Yep. Enjoyed Grievous and Dooku's scenes immensely along with the investigation sub plot and depiction of all out war on Coruscant.

Azronger
Darth Plagueis is my number #1.

DarthAnt66
DR and DP were trash. Rather read PoD.

ROTS and Traitor by far.

darthbane77
From what I've read I have to say Deceived.

MythLord
Dark Rendezvous, Darth Plagueis and Revenge of the Sith are all tremendously well done.

But they're all beaten by The Crystal Star smile smile smile

Nephthys
Into the Storm is the best Star Wars novel ever written.

Darth Abonis
Shadows of the Empire.

carthage
ROTS, Traitor, The Unifying Force, Darth Plagueis

chingchangwalla
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Heir to the Empire.

chingchangwalla
And Plagueis

ares834
RotS or The Unifying Force.

relentless1
Plagueis so far is my favourite read and ROTS not far behind, I also liked Dark Lords of the Sith, Labyrinth of Evil and the Rise of Darth Vader alot

UCanShootMyNova
What did you like about Lords of the Sith in particular? While it's good for feat mining the writing wasn't all that great imo.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by ares834
RotS or The Unifying Force.

You misspelled YDR.

BazookaMaster
I'll give a large top 10 from me

1. Path of Destruction
2. Dynasty of Evil
3. Revenge of the Sith novel
4. Darth Plagueis
5. Annihilation
6. Vector Prime
7. Revan
8. Shatterpoint
9. Labyrinth of Evil
10. Rule of Two

JKBart
Originally posted by BazookaMaster
I'll give a large top 10 from me

1. Path of Destruction
2. Dynasty of Evil
3. Revenge of the Sith novel
4. Darth Plagueis
5. Annihilation
6. Vector Prime
7. Revan
8. Shatterpoint
9. Labyrinth of Evil
10. Rule of Two

smile

MythLord
Half of that killed me.

LoE is also damn good. Most PT based novels are actually pretty good, since at this point the writers weren't experimenting with the utter boundries of the franchise(like early post-RotJ books, or the TotJ comics), nor were they made simply to appeal to overpowered characters(like TOR and TFU).

They are much more story driven, consistent and enjoyable on the whole.

chingchangwalla
Labyrinth of Evil is pretty underrated

McP
1. Labyrinth of Evil
2. Darth Plagueis
3. Shatterpoint
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Rise of Darth Vader
6. Dark Rendezvous
7. Cloak of Deception
8-10 Bane's trylogy

relentless1
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
What did you like about Lords of the Sith in particular? While it's good for feat mining the writing wasn't all that great imo.

while i didn't really care for the long winded setup with the imperial mole and the Tw'ilek resistance it was all worth it to see the Emperor get his hands dirty all to test Vader and the internal/3rd person monologue between them was gold

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.