Automated Workforce: Future problems

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
With the advent of innovations such as automated cars, automated tellers, and manufacturing largely being done by machines- what will the future hold for workers that are outsourced or left out by machinated progress? Will technology/the government be able to foresee the workers/individuals who will be replaced when machines become more prevalent in the work force? What happens when all of the low-skilled labor is eventually performed by machines, and individuals without any qualifications find difficulty finding work?

jaden101
Well all be dead by then...Don't worry about it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by jaden101
Well all be dead by then...Don't worry about it. Speak for yourself, mortal. Some of us really to need worry about the 22nd century having no jobs.

Ascendancy
Won't be a huge issue if the rate of automation is fast enough and people stop having 10,000 children a piece. Doesn't matter if you're poor as dirt or filthy rich, having ridiculous numbers of kids puts strain on systems that even now aren't well equipped to handle them. If people would be sensible about managing birth rates and take advantage of the increasingly efficient systems we have in place then additional automation would be nothing but a furtherance of a good thing.

A lower population + a better fed, better educated, better cared for populous = winning. We'll either end up with a smaller and manageable but very robust future society or something like in Star Wars where the average is isn't bad, but there still isn't enough to go around because of continued overpopulation.

Sancty
7Pq-S557XQU

The Ellimist
Originally posted by carthage
With the advent of innovations such as automated cars, automated tellers, and manufacturing largely being done by machines- what will the future hold for workers that are outsourced or left out by machinated progress? Will technology/the government be able to foresee the workers/individuals who will be replaced when machines become more prevalent in the work force? What happens when all of the low-skilled labor is eventually performed by machines, and individuals without any qualifications find difficulty finding work?

Yep. There are probably some professions that don't require extraordinary skills but still are difficult to automate that they could go into. Otherwise, I'd say a basic income might be the ideal solution.

Beniboybling
A basic income is a good idea but will still leave millions of people with nothing to do. I think the ultimate result will be a redefinition of what we do (with our lives) and a move away from work as what defines us.

Tbh I imagine we'll probably end up with something like WALL-E where everything is automated, the entertainment industry dominates our lives and obesity is widespread lol.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Won't be a huge issue if the rate of automation is fast enough and people stop having 10,000 children a piece. Doesn't matter if you're poor as dirt or filthy rich, having ridiculous numbers of kids puts strain on systems that even now aren't well equipped to handle them. If people would be sensible about managing birth rates and take advantage of the increasingly efficient systems we have in place then additional automation would be nothing but a furtherance of a good thing.

A lower population + a better fed, better educated, better cared for populous = winning. We'll either end up with a smaller and manageable but very robust future society or something like in Star Wars where the average is isn't bad, but there still isn't enough to go around because of continued overpopulation. A lower population will never happen without globally-enforced force sterilization, and even if the rate of population growth was cut in half, the super-majority of people on the planet will be out of a job due to automation within the next century.

The reality that people need to focus on is a world where billions of people can't get jobs. That's the reality that we're actually going to have.

Surtur
Hopefully other technology will advance just as quickly and just as mankind no longer has need for the human worker...mankind might not have need for work at all anymore. Perhaps we will come up with some way to have free energy and solve all our problems with hunger, homelessness, etc.

I fully expect this to happen with 2-3 decades. I'm going to be super depressed if it doesn't. The good news is I'm guessing at the very least in 2-3 decades we'll have much better anti-depressants available.

Ascendancy
Even if people are out of work, if we have the situation above with free energy and efficient use of resources we'll be in an okay spot. The big issue is food resources and clean water. Those are two crises that are much more real that a ready labor force not being able to find work.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Beniboybling
A basic income is a good idea but will still leave millions of people with nothing to do. I think the ultimate result will be a redefinition of what we do (with our lives) and a move away from work as what defines us.

Tbh I imagine we'll probably end up with something like WALL-E where everything is automated, the entertainment industry dominates our lives and obesity is widespread lol.

Well, if we get better pharmaceuticals, issues like boredom might be easily curable.

Surtur
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well, if we get better pharmaceuticals, issues like boredom might be easily curable.

We already have plenty that could help with boredom. We just need people to allow adults to put whatever they want into their bodies.

The Ellimist
Bump.

Flyattractor
All I know is that when I get my robot slave I aint giving it no "personality". F the Electronic Bastard!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.