Did Maul Run Away from Kenobi ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ziggystardust
Conveintiaonal wisdom implies running away counts as self admitted defeat, conventional wisdom is probably correct. So did Maul run away because he knew he couldn't fight Kenobi? Or was it for some other reason? I am of course, referring to his fight on Florrum.

Where they running away from a phantom strike force of Jedi that weren't about to show up?

Or were they not retreating at all and merely advancing in the opposite direction?

cs_zoltan
People say Maul can ragdoll Kenobi on a whim. For someone who wanted to capture Kenobi more than anything else in the world he failed miserably to prove that on Florrum.

chingchangwalla
Maul dominating him in another fight in TCW and Obi-Wan fleeing doesn't count? Or is this just hate on Maul time?

Beniboybling
Maul cut his losses and retreated because of the state of his brother, yeah.

On the other hand in light of Maul thrashing Kenobi in Revenge and then contending equally with Maul prior him becoming focused by the death of Adi, conventional wisdom suggests they are combative equals.

chingchangwalla
They aren't equals. Have we seen Kenobi ragdoll Maul? No. Have we seen Maul ragdoll Kenobi? Yes.
Obi-Wan has never beaten him without some kind of advantage. On Florrum he was enraged (still got ragdolled twice)
In TPM arrogance gave the Jedi a win.
And then a crazy ass fcked in the head Maul was fighting with his arch-rival on Tattooine, Uncle Owen cheap shotted him when he wasn't looking.

Beniboybling
I didn't say as a Force user.

Ziggystardust
Originally posted by Beniboybling Maul cut his losses and retreated because of the state of his brother, yeah.

Cute, are we no longer arguing for the unleashed hordes of Jedi coming to aid Kenobi in that moment?

So your saying Kenobi was only focussed in that particular moment... as apposed to not being 'focuused' any other time they fought? Well that might explain the events in Revenge, on top of his obvious fatigue which you conveniently forgot to mention. Conventional wisdom suggests that New events mean past events can be disregarded. If Maul can't beat Kenobi with his Brother aiding him, he has little chance of doing so on his own.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Ziggystardust
Cute, are we no longer arguing for the unleashed hordes of Jedi coming to aid Kenobi in that moment?We never where.No, I said Adi's death gave him greater focus, though yes, Kenobi clearly wasn't in a favourably mindset in Revenge either.

And I forgot to mention nothing, Kenobi's fatigue only excuses his crushing defeat. Though I'd reckon your failing to acknowledge Maul having been out of practice for 10 years, and using legs he's yet to grow accustomed to.

chingchangwalla
Beniboybling joining the Quanchi movement?

Beniboybling
No, merely retaining common sense and reasoning skills.

chingchangwalla
Good to see

Beniboybling
Anyway:
Originally posted by Beniboybling
in regards to Maul's decision to retreat on Florrum, it was a calculated risk assessment in which he evidently prioritised the integrity of his plan over killing Kenobi:Originally posted by Beniboybling
my point dear is that Maul's intent to kill Kenobi at that moment is obvious, however he restrains himself for the sake of his wider schemes.

Now to put that into greater contexts for those who failed to pick up on them while watching the episode. At the beginning of which are told that the Jedi are "too many" for Maul and Savage to stand against alone, later, when the Jedi find them on Florrum Maul bemoans that "it's too soon, my plan isn't finished yet", then to add insult to injury his brother ends up losing an arm, making them further ill equipped to stand against the looming Jedi threat.

In other words even if Maul had continued to fight and succeeded in killing Kenobi, he'd remain left with an armless brother, an incomplete power base (as well as insufficient man power to secure it) and the inevitable deployment of more Jedi. Under those circumstances retreat was a smart decision.thumb up

chingchangwalla
Beni = New fave on KMC.

Ziggystardust
Originally posted by Beniboybling
We never where.

So you concede that imaginary hordes of Jedi won't be coming to aid Kenobi?

Greater focus? What does that even mean? Why is this term being shuffled as it were an emepheral circumstance? Why doesn't Kenobi carry this state of mind in other fights, for example, against Anakin on Mustafar or when he picked apart Grevious?

So you admit that the episode isn't worth mentioning?

His cybernetic legs were the reason Kenobi lost in the first place, that and the fact he was basically not in any condition to fight, is really not an a fair comparison in any measure, nor is it relevant. You wouldn't show me a video of Anakin fighting Dooku in ATOC to demonstrate why he's weaker in Revenge of the Sith.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Ziggystardust
So you concede that imaginary hordes of Jedi won't be coming to aid Kenobi?To concede would suggest I made the argument in the first place.
Try googling it.

And you can infer what you like from those situations, provided ample proof. But in the absence of the same circumstances in these contexts, he's obviously not going to have the same level of focus. Where as Maul & Savage are described, by Filoni, as having "overextended" - in other words Kenobi had the upper hand in mentality.No. Why would I do that?My argument isn't that Kenobi is weaker as a combatant. Why do you keep mis-framing what I say in this way?

On the other hand yes, of course Kenobi's combat experiences against Maul are relevant. The mean of which suggests parity as combatants.

quanchi112
For ****s sake. This is getting rather ridiculous. My power over this forum is indeed strong.

chingchangwalla
Indeed

Kurk
He ran b/c of Savage's vulnerability at first. They were then legit running away after the pirates turned on the brothers with Kenobi in pursuit.

Jmanghan
No, but Kenobi ran away from Maul. smile

Darth Thor
He fled for a number of reasons. Not in order of importance:

1) Savage's injury
2) He decided his whole plan there was a faulty one "come brother, this plan has failed"
3) And yes Kenobi was being extremely resilient in that fight. Even IF Maul could take him down it would be after a very difficult 1 v 1 fight, which he didn't want to do at that time

But Kenobi's certainly not like Vader, where Maul knows fighting him 1 on 1 is just suicide.

quanchi112
DT being dramatic like the skirt he is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.