Evidence of Palpatine's Power Growth: TPM to RotJ.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
This is a thread in which to discuss and present evidence for Sidious' power growth from the end of The Phantom Menance (i.e. post-Plagueis death), through to his confrontation with Yoda in Revenge of the Sith to the moments before his death in Return of the Jedi.

It's generally assumed that over the course of this thirty year period, Sidious grew more powerful and knowledgeable in the Force. But what sources/reasoning can be presented to define the extent and nature of this increment? And what gap do you think exists between his incarnations?

Fated Xtasy
Best I can think of is DE stating he grew powerful?

Thats about it. I'm sure there's something...?

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Best I can think of is DE stating he grew powerful?

Thats about it. I'm sure there's something...?TPM to RotJ, Fated. uhuhGooood. smile

Sinious
I'm curious if there is any source stating that he grew in power between TPM and ROTS other than feats/logical assumptions with his best ever quotes in ROTS.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Beniboybling
TPM to RotJ, Fated. uhuh/B]

Bite me. I don't read descriptions.

:hmph:

UCanShootMyNova
Aren't there sources saying he commited an ritual which helped to darken the Galaxy?

Beniboybling
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Aren't there sources saying he commited an ritual which helped to darken the Galaxy? In Sithisis he undergoes a transformation involving a ritual of that kind yeah. Could be that made him more powerful.Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Bite me.Don't tempt me.

SunRazer

Sinious
Thanks thumb up

SunRazer
I think it's reasonable to infer that Sidious was constantly growing in power anyway.

The Ellimist
Yeah, I mean he drew upon Byss's power and studied a huge amount of lore. I'm pretty sure it's also in the DE respect thread that he grew in power following his first death.

SunRazer
Yep. After RotJ, there's two or three concrete quotes to support him growing stronger.

Between RotS and RotJ, Sidious gained access to the secrets of the Jedi Archives, among that of others (the Blackguard, for instance), so again, it's logical to infer that Sidious was constantly growing in power.

The Ellimist
I guess the question is how much he improves. TPM -> DE is probably comparable to season 4-> RotS Anakin, which sounds small given the time-frame, but Sidious is already in his fifties by the beginning of the PT, so he's probably hitting diminishing returns.

SunRazer
He studies far more than Anakin, though, and practices potentially power-increasing rituals as well. Heck, he gained power from RotJ to DE whilst studying in seclusion, despite having almost certainly not gained additional knowledge (perhaps even having lost some) with the fall of the Empire.

And his potential is surpassed by only a select few in the mythos. It wouldn't be diminishing by much, if at all, IMO.

The Ellimist
Hmmm, maybe. I get the feeling that Anakin's growth in-between AotC and RotS is close to unprecedented in the mythos, except for maybe ESB -> RotJ Luke.

The TPM/DE gap can't be comically large unless if we think that Luke could like one-shot Plagueis.

SunRazer
I didn't say it was comically large. I mean, he did study for about thirty years up to TPM alone. That's longer than the rest of his lifespan.

On second thought, he probably did hit diminishing returns, but he grew vastly in power, just as Anakin did from TCW to RotS. I'd argue that RotS-DE Sidious is already like TCW-RotS Anakin. TPM-RotS is unclear but we know he was constantly getting stronger.

And I hold Plagueis slightly below Yoda, yet Sidious was canonically more powerful than Yoda by RotS. So it looks to be a noticeable improvement nevertheless.

The Ellimist
It's also a question of how much of that growth comes from accessing more of his potential, and how much comes from refining his mastery/expanding his knowledge. Anakin and Luke were doing both during their massive growth spurts.

SunRazer
I would say Sheev's growth spurts were also early in his career, but he studied enough in later years to keep growing at a relatively constant pace.

The Ellimist
Yeah, after the initial training gains, his biggest spurts were probably when he and Plagueis unbalanced the Force and hacked their midichlorians, when he got that boost from Plagueis's death, and maybe also from RotJ -> DE.

relentless1
Sids has access to many archival holocrons and whatnot in the Jedi Temple, its stated in Rise of Vader that Sidious studies these archives and I assume thats how he gains more power through knowledge

SunRazer
For the record, these quotes from the DE and the DE endnotes suggest that he was continually growing in power, and I doubt such things were confined to his DE incarnation.

Also, just for the lols, there's a source claiming that Sidious had boundless power:

Nephthys
Bane has a similar statement.

Beniboybling
lol

Nice finds anyway.

quanchi112
Hyperbolic comments that Sheevites cling to like a newborn on a mother's ***. Star Wars fanboys really do obsess over random comments that don't definitively prove anything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.