Why is blaster proof armor so rare?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
This is something I never really understood.

There were first slugthrowers, ok so armor was made to make slugthrowers rather pointless. So the blaster was invented to destroy the armor that protected from slugthrowers making the armor pretty useless to wear.

So...from the time the first blasters were invented, all the way up to the NJO era...why is it that blaster proof armor was such a rare thing?

Thousands and thousands of years go by and....nothing? Yet they are able to make armor that protects from slugthrowers which makes them pretty obsolete?

When blasters come about, there's only...like a few armor sets that actually protect the wearer but not entirely. Then there's even fewer, that actually protect completely to the point where they bounce off or get absorbed harmlessly and those only coming from very expensive materials to make these rare armor sets or just even a piece.

I mean the only reasoning I can come up with, is that blaster weaponry is just so ridiculously powerful that it's really impossible to make a cheap yet durable enough armor for manufacturers to sell publicly or privately.

But at the same time....I don't really see how this makes sense, because you have stories where millions/trillions of credits go into a project or a weapon or research...which doesn't really seem to hamper the governments seeing as they are able to still produce other technologies, yet they can't get some blaster proof armor made that protects all the way through rather then just some of the time.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I mean the only reasoning I can come up with, is that blaster weaponry is just so ridiculously powerful that it's really impossible to make a cheap yet durable enough armor for manufacturers to sell publicly or privately.

Bingo.

The lives of fodder soldier aren't worth throwing billions/trillions of credits at especially when you can mass produce completely loyal blaster resistant battle droids.

The Ellimist
Yeah, blasters are ridiculously powerful. Even small pistols are more like grenade launchers.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Bingo.

The lives of fodder soldier aren't worth throwing billions/trillions of credits at especially when you can mass produce completely loyal blaster resistant battle droids.

Except mass producing battle droids would be more costly and the fact relying solely on droids isn't a good thing.

They would need to pay maintenance for the equipment that builds the droids, then paying for the resources to make said droid and also paying the resources that the droid consists of including the brain, ontop of any weapons.

With humans? You really would just need to pay them, their training and their equipment. Much less than what a battle droid would need.

There's also the fact, there's only so much you could cram into a droid brain before it would cost too much to be even worth it if you're mass producing....your standard battle droid won't be anywhere near as tactical as a human trooper, meaning individually and in groups, that droid won't be good.

Plus again, stories have no problem saying that they dump millions/billions/trillions of credits into some huge weapon or whatever, when that could clearly go to making a standard fully blaster resistant armor.

In the long run, this would be more beneficial.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yeah, blasters are ridiculously powerful. Even small pistols are more like grenade launchers.

Eh I wouldn't really go that far, depends on the blaster pistol imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.