MUSIC: Albums - gone but not forgotten

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hayden's minx
Albums that were good when they came out but the band seemed to disappear... got any?
One of my favourites is It goes without saying - Dum Dums. Also Maybe you've been brainwashed too - New radicals

GordonSkywalker
All of the Ace of Base albums. They did really well throughout the nineties over here(in America I mean) but vanished after doing a cover version of "Cruel Summer".

Augeybana
Nirvana is one of the best bands of all time there album Nevermind is one of the greatest album in music history.

GordonSkywalker
After that album the whole thing started to suck in my opinion.

Tex
Most bands dont disappear.
You just have to know where to look.

LaurenE147
Travis's The Invisible Band is quite forgotten over here but excellent.

narcil
counting crows.

LaurenE147
so true

ToMacco
Pearl Jam is the biggest one I can think of. They never play their music on the radio anymore, but they still put out good albums.

finti
Fleetwood Mac

finti
Fleetwood because they are still around and probably shouldnt be, the last album sucked which is sad cause I really do like Fleetwood Mac

GordonSkywalker
I think they are sounding better than ever. I heard their song on the radio last night. So got to disagree with you on this one finti.

finti
Ive heard through their last album and compare to Mirage, Rumors and tango in the night it is utterly crap. They are out of date ,worn out, blueprint music

GordonSkywalker
Once again I disagree. They are bloody brilliant and have lots of untapped potential left in them. Lindsey remains a guitar genius and Stevie Nicks is excellent.

narcil
*lol* strangely enough, they've been playing a fair bit of pearl jam on the radio over here, recently.

GordonSkywalker
Lemonheads

mechmoggy
Shed 7, I loved that band with all my heart.

On the plus side, I hear they are trying to make a comeback at the moment.

GordonSkywalker
Fine Young Cannibals

mechmoggy
I used to do a great FYC impression, not sure it would work over the net though.

finti
washed out, nothing new, and Lindseys guitar aint nothing new there either. It is as they made a blueprint on the tango in the night album and with minor adjustments spew out new musical pieces. The group should have enough respect for what they have done by not ruing their own image by putting out garbage like this. They are doing the same as The Rolling Stones, they too should have called it the day long tiome ago. It is pityful to watch and hear the music they put out now. But that is a common fault with musical artists they never know when to call it the day. It is more regurgitation than it is music

GordonSkywalker
I disagree.

Bad Boy
Europe!!!

Green Jelly!!!

Lone Star!!!

GordonSkywalker
Europe - I love 'The Final Countdown' album. Great stuff. Sadly they are another group who seem to have bit the big one.

mechmoggy
Thank heavens!

80's rock was super-camp. roll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
I loved most the songs I heard them do. Better than Nirvana or GnR.

mechmoggy
GnR maybe, but not Nirvana.

Tex
Here's some others:

Sonic Youth
Soundgarden
American Presidents
Wax
Cypress Hill
Greenday
Garbage

Pretty much all the alternative bands of the 90s have fallen off the radar

mechmoggy
Soundgarden were kewl, Audioslave are pretty good because of it.

I really liked Garbage, its a shame they've gone off the map.

Tex
Yeah, Beautiful Garbage was a horrendous flop. It wasn't a bad album though, Rolling Stone proclaimed it one of the ten best albums of that year. It just wasn't the Garbage everyone was wanting/expecting.

The new album, currently in production, sounds like Garbage of old...should be interesting. smile

GordonSkywalker
Europe is better than Nirvana. Everything past Nevermind that is.

finti
Europe was a farse of perm heavy, Bon Jovie wanna be`s nothing more.
Saw them in concert in 1986 on the Final Countdown tour and they sucked, why? Because the guitarist on the album John Norum quit right after the album was released he was the man in the band. Kee who replaced him sucked. He made so many errors in that gig that we left

hayden's minx
Greenday haven't fallen off the map Tex, its just no one liked International 'Supershits' as I believe, 'Benchwarmer' was released as an underground grunge sounder.

cermiestar
*shudders* greenday.

preston mullins
The Stones rule. Always have. Always will. Vampires they are.

finti
The Stones should either be called Stoned. or change it further to the Geriatric Stones or Rollin Wheelchair

GordonSkywalker
Mick Jagger is cool even if he is getting on up there. He is actually younger than Paul McCartney. Only he has not aged quite as well.

mechmoggy
Your damn straight...He looks like he's been working in a coal mine from the age of 5! eek!

GordonSkywalker
Heh Heh.

hayden's minx
Rollin' stones?! Stone Temple pilots are more my era.

GordonSkywalker
Are they still around? I liked the video the lead singer did with Sarah Michelle Gellar. That was cool. I like one or two other songs by them.

Bad Boy
Kee Marcello sucks???????????????????????

On that actual gig he might have! All guitarists have nightmare days now and again!

But's he's a truly amazing and versatille guitartist!

GordonSkywalker
Another Europe fan? Great we must go for drinks soon and discuss our favorite songs. I shan't take no for an answer!

finti
Kee Marcello is was bad through out the entire tour of Norway, I cant understand when they first had to get a "local" guitarist , why they didnt go for Erik Bojfeldt or Thomas Larsson. They are much better than Kee

finti
What I am trying to point out is that Kee tried to be John Norum, he should have put his own style into playing the pre Kee Europe songs he should ahv had his own way of dealing with the guitar solo not totally copying John`s way of doing it.
(Tommy Bolin never made mistakes like that when he replaced Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple in 1975)

Bad Boy
If fans know a guitar solo, they want to hear the same solos even though a new guitarist would join.

On their last album, Prisoners in Paradise, he imputed some of his own styles, nothing like John Norum!

finti
Thing is Kee is nothing but a mediochre guitarist, and solos are never alike ,if you are a good guitarist that is, so fans just want a guitarsolo.
And Europes last album was piss poor, not that they had any great albums but that one was really bad.

mechmoggy
I can't believe we're still talking about bloody Europe, they were and remain utter sh**e. roll eyes (sarcastic)

mah
yes.
radiohead on monday!!!

GordonSkywalker
I disagree mech. Europe is cool.

Bad Boy
Are you a guitarist Finti?

GordonSkywalker
I doubt it. He seems to have no appreciation for it. I on the other hand did play the guitar once.

Bad Boy
You any good?

GordonSkywalker
On the Bass Guitar yes I was quite good. Haven't played since my drummer friend got married three years ago . I sing pretty darn great though!

mechmoggy
You certainly can play your own trumpet. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bad Boy
Cool! Wish I had a really good singing voice!

Roger
Whatis this talk of trumpets? I like Guns and Roses. I think i posted on wrong thread a minute ago.

finti
guess it has something to do that it aint up to the person himself to deceide wether he sings great. He might think he does but it is the audience who have the final say

mah
Europe is a piece of trash, everyone that sees quality music in that turd needs to get their mental health checked. simply put, it sucks.

finti
says one who listens to Daft Punk

mah
says one who has no understanding of electronica, thus would never like anything in the genre.

finti
laughing out loud cause electronica is soooooooooooo hard to understand.
You dont know what I understand and not understand Mah. I agree on you on the Europe issue but Daft Punk come on they are so bad

mah
quality electronica can be. I'm not talking about shite like trance or eurodance.
daft punk are innovators of first class. why are they hailed by critics worldwide if they're so bad?

finti

Corran
Joy division and then New Order were awesome.

finti
love will tear us appart

Bad Boy
I'm not a big fan of Europe either, but to say that Kee Marcello is a medicore guitarist just proves what a lack of understanding of guitar playing you have!

finti

Omegaman
Hey finti dont forget- Bo Diddley, John Lee Hooker,Stevie Vie(sp?),Eric Clapton, and the great Robert Johnson.

Omegaman
Hey what about Nena as in "99 Red Baloons"??? or SOft Cell??

finti
I find Clapton boring, Stevie Vai is good but as I said there are other good ones that I mentioned but those I have mentioned are what I call riff masters.
Nena one hit wonder, Soft Cell more or less the same not half as influential as Kraftwerk and New Order(Joy Division)

Corran
Clapton is God, Kraftwerk were good.

finti
even Ultravox were influential in the early stages of the 80`s then they went commercial with the Lament album in 84

Omegaman
Clapton boring , maybe his stuff now , but go back to say "crossroads" man come on that Rocks!!

how about.... Duran Duran, Boomtown Rats, and whatever happened to Crowed House!! Man, I love that song .."Better be home soon"

finti
Clapton kind of turned into a one way street, he kind of never really developed any further after the Slowhand album in 1977, that was a great album though but from there on and out nah.

finti
One of the really innovators of Electronica was Thomas Dolby, he had som really bizzare videos for his songs

Corran
Thomas Dolby, damn now you are dragging them up.

I liked Depeche mode too, their sound was kind of unique.

finti
Depeche Mode was THE avant-garde band of the 80s they are really good. Anyone remember Captain Sensible or Hazy Fantazy or Kissing the pink

Corran
Yep, still got a couple of cpt Sensibles 45's

Bad Boy
But if you can't play guitar, how can you actually turn around as say he's mediocre! You try playing it and then see who is mediocre (or however you spell it!)

mechmoggy
I'm not a world class footy player, but I still say Gary Neville is a complete donkey.

You don't need to be good at something to know what you like.

yerssot
no! not gary! stick out tongue

mechmoggy
And Phil too.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

yerssot
not philly!
I like philadelphia!
hmm... at least I think I do ...

finti
You dont need to play an instrument see the good from the bad, music is just as much about musical ear as it is with a skill to play an instrument.
I never claimed to be a good guitarist, now this doesnt exclude me from saying who is good and who sucks. If you find Kee that good a guitarist aint it weird that he never got picked up by bigger bands/artist and had a bit more successful career than he have had so far. There is only one reason for that and that is he aint good enough

mah
Kraftwerk was great yah. leading guys in electronica nowadays are Aphex Twin and Autechre.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.