X wing vs ARC 170

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dread Dark
Which ship is greater between the two?

Zenwolf
X-wing better speed, targeting systems, better firepower output, countermeasures against torpedos, pretty much equal durability and shielding, etc. The ARC has poor maneuverability and slow acceleration. It's rear gun helps, but the X-wing could just fly circles around the thing.

And when I mean fly circles, I mean fly circles. the 170 has a max acceleration of 2,600 Gs. The X-wing? 3,700 Gs.

I mean really the only difference between the 170 and X-wing is...the X-wing doesn't have a tail gunner.

But it doesn't really need that, when it excels in other areas or equals the ones that the 170 has.

Q99
ARC's more of a strike craft/bomber, X-wing space superiority.

I think the ARC's guns and shields are probably better, but speed, maneuverability, etc. all give X-wing the edge head-on.

Zenwolf
Shields I'd say are about equal. I'd argue that the guns on the X-wing are better, seeing as you have 4 front making more firepower output, rather than 2 in front and 2 in back.

Although if arguing from a versatility standpoint then yeah the 170 is better, but sheer destructive firepower I'd say goes to the X-wing.

At best they'd be equal in guns if looking at it like that.

UCanShootMyNova
TIE's don't have shields do they?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova

Standard TIE fighters don't. Nor does the TIE Interceptor and Bomber(though this has much better armoring) unless counting the Royal Guard Interceptor, you could also modify a regular Interceptor for shielding.

But the speed of the TIE and skill of the pilot compensates for lack of shielding.

Kurk
Where do you get these figs from Zen?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Kurk
Where do you get these figs from Zen?

Cross Sections, Starships of the Galaxy and New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, other sources where these ships are in. Not hard really.

Only one I don't got is the Complete Cross Sections which supposedly does say that the X-wing is > to the ARC-170.

Q99
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova

In the movies, shields on most fighters *barely* matter, a single TIE burst can rip through X-wing shields if it's a direct hit, they only help vs glancing.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Shields I'd say are about equal. I'd argue that the guns on the X-wing are better, seeing as you have 4 front making more firepower output, rather than 2 in front and 2 in back.

Although if arguing from a versatility standpoint then yeah the 170 is better, but sheer destructive firepower I'd say goes to the X-wing.

At best they'd be equal in guns if looking at it like that.

The ARC is larger, so it should have more power for it's systems at least.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99

The ARC is larger, so it should have more power for it's systems at least.

Bigger doesn't really always mean better.

Plus the ARC isn't that much bigger compared to the X-wing.

ARC is 14.5 meters

X-wing is 12.5 meters

So slightly bigger yes, but not that it'd make much difference anyway as I see it.

Q99
Not just length, it's bulkier too.

Bigger doesn't always mean better* but on a similar military craft it does mean you can cram in more stuff like power generation.

*and overall the X-wing is probably the better machine, the X-wing's advantages matter more than a bit more juice.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
Not just length, it's bulkier too.

Bigger doesn't always mean better* but on a similar military craft it does mean you can cram in more stuff like power generation.

*and overall the X-wing is probably the better machine, the X-wing's advantages matter more than a bit more juice.

The bulk seems to come from the rear gun emplacements if you look at it.

Also interesting enough the X-wing also has better consumables too.

It has one week(though can extend further) compared to the 170s 5 days.

Same cargo capacity, better hyperdrive...yeah the X-wing is all around the superior.

Q99
Originally posted by Zenwolf

Also interesting enough the X-wing also has better consumables too.

It has one week(though can extend further) compared to the 170s 5 days.

That's 7 days for one person vs 5 days for two. I.e. more actual stuff for the ARC.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
That's 7 days for one person vs 5 days for two. I.e. more actual stuff for the ARC.

3 actually, the pilot, co-pilot and rear gunner.

I mean I guess, but being able to extend further, gives the X-wing more days by comparison. So they would also have more stuff.

But anyway me thinks we're in agreement about this battle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.