Did Sidious plan on Anakin eventually overthrowing him?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
Did Sidious plan on Anakin/pre mustafar Vader ever taking over as Emperor or did he plan on ruling forever? He knew Anakin would become more powerful than him, so what was his plan?

UCanShootMyNova
Maybe. His intentions were unclear as of RotS.

Rebel95
Maybe he thought he could just manipulate him and have him be his extremely powerful enforcer that'll do whatever he says.

Darth Abonis
I agree with Rebel95. In Legends, he'd just use Essense Transfer. In canon, he'd have the clones stop Anakin.

Geistalt
He did (until Anakin went and ruined himself).

NewGuy01
Canon>Yes

Legends>No

Geistalt
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Canon>Yes

Legends>No That sounds kinda backwards, considering the goal of the Rule of Two in Canon is for the Master to SACRIFICE THEIR APPRENTICE 2 BEECUM A GAWD.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
I agree with Rebel95. In Legends, he'd just use Essense Transfer. In canon, he'd have the clones stop Anakin.

I don't think he had essence transfer down by RotS; it would take him many more years, and I'm pretty sure Vader would've solidly surpassed him before that.

relentless1
he seems to be well aware and almost cool with the idea of Anakin surpassing him, he says as much to Yoda before their fight.. I don't know if he'd be willing to give up his spot just to further the Sith cause though... it'd certainly have been a great fight that I'm not sure Anakin could have won at the time of ROTS.

Darth Thor
In theory he wanted Anakin to surpass him, and he'd be satisfied with the idea of picking an apprentice that would become more powerful and overthrow him.

In practice though, when it came to that point, Sidious would fight to hold onto that power. He also probably had the delusion of being able to befriend and manipulate a more powerful apprentice.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rebel95
Maybe he thought he could just manipulate him and have him be his extremely powerful enforcer that'll do whatever he says. Pretty much. Palpatine was a coward but he wasn't a cuck. Dooku was the cuck of the series as per Chris Lee. The late actor fought for the cuck legend.

Unbowed
In canon, yes. In the films and novelizations Sidious is completely dedicated to the ROT and both Anakin and Maul were intended to replace him.

Geistalt
Originally posted by Unbowed
In canon, yes. In the films and novelizations Sidious is completely dedicated to the ROT and both Anakin and Maul were intended to replace him. The novelizations are from Legends.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Geistalt
The novelizations are from Legends.

They're both.

TenebrousWay
He didn't plan it, but he accepted it as a consequence.

Petrus
I think he'd be satisfied with an even more powerful being than him ruling the Sith and eventually overthrowing him, on principle. However, that doesn't mean he wouldn't fight for his life and do everything in his power to stop a full-powered Vader to overthrow him. He was a fervent follower of the RoT, but not one Sith in RoT just allows his/her apprentice to take over.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.